Dark chocolate do people know why?

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Does anyone eat 99%? Sometimes I buy the Lindt one and eat the whole bar. I've gotten used to the taste and if you dip it in a little coffee it gets all melty. It's definitely extreme tho

I adore Melanie brand chocolate. I have a Russian co-worker who commutes from Brooklyn and is nice enough to drop one of these bad boys on my desk every now and then. I cannot find these in Jersey :disappointed: . He left me a 92% Melanie bar this morning and I had a couple of squares with coffee. I love the bitter extreme chocolate.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Does anyone eat 99%? Sometimes I buy the Lindt one and eat the whole bar. I've gotten used to the taste and if you dip it in a little coffee it gets all melty. It's definitely extreme tho

I adore Melanie brand chocolate. I have a Russian co-worker who commutes from Brooklyn and is nice enough to drop one of these bad boys on my desk every now and then. I cannot find these in Jersey :disappointed: . He left me a 92% Melanie bar this morning and I had a couple of squares with coffee. I love the bitter extreme chocolate.

I haven't tried! I live in Brooklyn and sometimes go out to Brighton Beach (large Russian community there). I will look for it when I am there.
  • Alluminati
    Options

I haven't tried! I live in Brooklyn and sometimes go out to Brighton Beach (large Russian community there). I will look for it when I am there.

I think he lives in Brighton and he said there is a Russian grocery nearby where he stocks up. It's the bomb, for sure.
  • arditarose
    Options

I think he lives in Brighton and he said there is a Russian grocery nearby where he stocks up. It's the bomb, for sure.

But my old crazy boss lives there. lol. You know who I mean.
  • Alluminati
    Options

But my old crazy boss lives there. lol. You know who I mean.

bahahahahaha **kitten**
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    dark choc is full of antioxidans (true dark choc) same as cocoa, natural cooca powder is even better then dark choc and u can mix it with everything add some cinnamon to that and u have great combination
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    It's cheap generic chocolate. Most Americans don't just go "i want a hershey's bar" and rush to the store...

p.s. since moving to denmark i think my chocolate consumption has quadrupled! I can't get enough of the damn marabou and ritter bars. ;)

Cadbury's is cheap generic chocolate here in the UK, or Mars (Galaxy, Maltesers). Hershey's is just weird/nasty.

Marabou and Ritter are nice, but by Continental European standards, *they're* the cheap generic stuff. So is Milka. The everyday standards are just higher. Although we have some amazing high end chocolate here - there are great producers everywhere if you look for them.

Like many things, the better the quality, the less you need to eat to feel like you've had a treat, in my case anyway. But I will never really enjoy the very dark stuff. It just tastes very bitter to me, which I think is genetic and I doubt will change. There are other things which taste pleasantly dry to others, but bitter like poison to me. Shame, but can't be helped.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    The thing most Americans don't get is how awful Hershey bars taste to European palates

That stuff is vile

oh, come on... it's not THAT bad.

I'm going to generalize and say: It's not like American's think it's excellent chocolate either. It's cheap generic chocolate. Most Americans don't just go "i want a hershey's bar" and rush to the store. And from what i've seen people eat way less plain chocolate and far more candy like reeses, milky way, snickers, 3 musketeers, etc. If people go out of their way to buy plain chocolate we generally buy the *good* stuff like Ghirardelli or Lindt or Godiva or other more expensive store brands. I personally know very few people who eat plain chocolates other than for christmas or valentines.

p.s. since moving to denmark i think my chocolate consumption has quadrupled! I can't get enough of the damn marabou and ritter bars. ;)

I'd kill for a plain Hershey's chocolate bar. All I see are almonds or cookies and cream. Those are great, but I just want the damned milk chocolate!

Seems like I'm one of those weirdos who hasn't been converted completely to dark chocolate. If it's chocolate, I'm gonna eat it.
    child-eating-chocolate-9596884.jpg
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hershey's has nothing in Cadbury or galaxy and they're our cheap brands! Controversially I hate Lindt chocolate. But I would do almost anything for a Reese's peanut butter cup!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't think most people are at risk of getting too many nutrients, though. Unless they take supplements, or juice tons of veggies daily, or eat too much of a specific food. But, just a basic diet with variety of fruits, veggies, chocolate, and all the other stuff is most likely fine. I don't think it's a worry.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Hershey's has nothing in Cadbury or galaxy and they're our cheap brands! Controversially I hate Lindt chocolate. But I would do almost anything for a Reese's peanut butter cup!

How YOU doing?
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    100% Cacao fan checking in.
    I don't give a damn if it gives you antioxidants and zinc, or herpes and turbocancer. It's delicious and works in my macro allotment, until I go ZC.

I agree, and even though its really bitter but I like it the way it tastes too
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I eat dark chocolate because it tastes good and isn't super sweet like milk chocolate. Don't really care if it's good for me or not... I always buy the Lindt 90%

This for sure!! Never in the fridge or it's not so enjoyable, sucked not munched :)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    To clarify I eat it in the changing room before I either use the sauna or get showered before I make my way home a 20min drive at peak times. By the time I get home I'm nearly fainting with hunger with being on a diet. I don't stand around the leg press eating chocolate lol

You eat in the locker room? Gross. I suggest waiting until you get to your car. I don't know anyone that eats at the gym. That's just strange. I have a 20 min drive too, big whoop. Frankly if after your workout you are so faint that that you could not make it to the car without consuming food, you need to eat more BEFORE you get to the gym.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Now we're talking :smiley:

• arditarose
    Options
    To clarify I eat it in the changing room before I either use the sauna or get showered before I make my way home a 20min drive at peak times. By the time I get home I'm nearly fainting with hunger with being on a diet. I don't stand around the leg press eating chocolate lol

You eat in the locker room? Gross. I suggest waiting until you get to your car. I don't know anyone that eats at the gym. That's just strange. I have a 20 min drive too, big whoop. Frankly if after your workout you are so faint that that you could not make it to the car without consuming food, you need to eat more BEFORE you get to the gym.

I eat rice krispie treats between squat sets. What you gonna do about it?
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I like these. They taste good:

0isucxv0sshx.jpg

id destroy that bag in a weekend....ohhhh i could not have that in the house
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    I like these. They taste good:

0isucxv0sshx.jpg

id destroy that bag in a weekend....ohhhh i could not have that in the house

Light weight :wink:

Anything peanut butter cupperyish i can not have in the house, my self control runs and hides lol

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Y'know, I was done eating today. Closed my diary and everything. And then I went and read this thread and now I've gone and eaten my last 2 squares of chocolate.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Lot of calories, not as low as most think.