40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Hi, all,

I think I'll jump in and join you guys. I am kind of looking for a new group to get some motivation going.

I haven't fully read back but read the first page of posts or so and think this would be a good match.

I am 48, female, single, I ride (have 2 horse), run, do triathlon, and have several big races coming up in the fall that I have been doing ZERO training for. I need to get a good butt kicking.

I have been on MFP for nearly 2 years, have lost nearly 30 lbs, but lately have gained some back and can't seem to get motivated to lose it. I like the work out postings.

If you guys don't mind I'll join you and start posting as well.

Thanks.
  • bbordner
    bbordner Posts: 59 Member
    edited August 2016
    Didn't sleep well last night, trading the exercise bike for a walk tonight. Been having issues with satiety the last couple days. Seems like all I want to do eat. I've tried drinking water when I'm feeling hungry and is some help but not completely. Thankfully this hasn't translated to craving sweets.

Edited to add: Despite this, I have kept under my daily calorie goal.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    ........... several big races coming up in the fall that I have been doing ZERO training for. I need to get a good butt kicking.

What are your upcoming races?
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    edited August 2016
    Ok - I need to start posting. Today was strength training. I'm back on the weights wagon after a year of slacking off. Tomorrow is a 5k run. My weekend running buddy is away so i watched walking dead marathon instead of running. I'm not telling her :o
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited August 2016
    Hi to all the new people!! Welcome!

Today was supposed to be a paddling day, but I wasn't feeling it, so didn't go out on the water. Instead I made today one of my strength training days for the week. Got upper body done with my resistance bands. Then, I tried an old DVD workout - 30 Day Shred, Level 1 - OMG, that pretty much kicked my behind (and I thought I was in pretty good shape).

Looking forward to getting out on the water tomorrow now...but I suspect I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow after my workout today...here's hoping I can lift my board to get it on the top of my car...lol. Only bad thing is one of my favorite parks to launch from is overrun with Pokemon Go folks (so bad, our local police have already requested that it is removed from the game by the developers).
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "P90X2 X2 Recovery + Mobility"=Done!
  • Djproulx
    4 mile easy run.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    I KILLED it last night at the gym. 9.4 miles in 30 minutes on the bike - added two extra sets to biceps, one extra to triceps, half-set to bench, and tossed in seated row. I feel sore and wonderfully happy today.

Mid way through my bike I just got crazy-happy feelings - actually started smiling at the pain and sweat.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    I will be working until midnight, for the rest of the week, so have to sacrifice Cardio, and do my strength training in the mornings instead! Got Shoulders, Traps, Abs and Calves done this morning, hoping to still have some energy to fit in my yoga/Pilate, once I get home as well.

Oh, Happy Hump Day coolest kids on the block!
  • Oberon21
    Djproulx wrote: »
    ........... several big races coming up in the fall that I have been doing ZERO training for. I need to get a good butt kicking.

I have Ironman Chattanooga in Sept and then the NY Marathon in Nov and then 2 weeks later my first 50M run the JFK 50 miler.

And I have done NOTHING in months. Beside climb a mountain for charity 2 weeks ago on Scotland in the middle of the night, but that isn't going to help any of the above. :)

Today I am going to start my first Sufferfest video. I downloaded the app and signed up for a free trial.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Monday and Tuesday are rest days.. ready to get the workout going today. It's chest day and I miss the gym.
  • Djproulx

I have Ironman Chattanooga in Sept and then the NY Marathon in Nov and then 2 weeks later my first 50M run the JFK 50 miler.

And I have done NOTHING in months. Beside climb a mountain for charity 2 weeks ago on Scotland in the middle of the night, but that isn't going to help any of the above. :)

Today I am going to start my first Sufferfest video. I downloaded the app and signed up for a free trial.

That's an ambitious fall schedule, but at least you're starting out well rested ;)

Seems like a perfect opportunity for some self inflicted pain on the bike trainer.

BTW: Sufferfest videos are fun, but I wonder if you've ever used Trainerroad? TR subscription costs a few bucks a month, but they have some great plans for building bike fitness in a systematic way.
  • Oberon21

That's an ambitious fall schedule, but at least you're starting out well rested ;)

Seems like a perfect opportunity for some self inflicted pain on the bike trainer.

BTW: Sufferfest videos are fun, but I wonder if you've ever used Trainerroad? TR subscription costs a few bucks a month, but they have some great plans for building bike fitness in a systematic way.

I haven't heard of that one! I'll have to check it out. I typically do a bunch of races...but usually I am a bit more trained... :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited August 2016
    Whoa @Oberon21 - that's an impressive schedule.
    Getting back to working out after a break is always nice, isn't it @CasperNaegle ? I feel the same way!

Ah, got my paddle in today before the afternoon thunderstorms that were starting to threaten as I was packing up. And I wasn't too sore from the workout yesterday - Yippie!

I did check out my favorite launch park for when the wind is from the south, and the news reports were right...totally packed out with Pokemon Go players - totally crazy with car traffic and people staring at their phones...oh well, may have to find a new place to launch for a while.

Went to my other close park, and while it was empty, it was a bit choppier on the water than I would have liked for my first day back after a break. But I worked out anyway for over an hour and got nearly 3 miles in. The chop always makes me a bit slower than I'd like because balancing is a bit more taxing. But even a taxing day on the water is a good day.

Sadly not a lot of fauna to see...just one shark and a few schools of bait fish. No stingrays, no dolphins, no pelicans, no manatees. Did see some herons and other beach birds.

Left my board on the car for some paddling tomorrow, so I have no excuses. Looks like the weekend is going to be a bust with extensive rain in the upcoming forecast. Good thing I have something else to do that will be a major workout for Saturday.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Hi all, you folks are killin' it! WTG!! Company and B&B guests have kept me hopping. No time to workout, however, cleaning up after guests seems to be a workout in itself as my sister noted.
    House is quiet these days so am hoping to get a run in. Have to start prepping for the upcoming weddings next week. Agh! :scream:
  • bbordner
    bbordner Posts: 59 Member
    Ended up having to work through lunch today, but that consisted of squatting to read serial numbers in the storage room and moving around a couple hundred computers. So, not as good as going to the gym, but activity none the less. Still dealing with satiety issues, but driving on.
  • Fit4Life_62
    Fit4Life_62 Posts: 24 Member
    Looks like I found a good group to hang with here. I'm a 54 yr. old that has over the past couple of years gotten a bit too sedentary, so I've decided to make a change to offset the decline of the desk job blues. For the past few weeks I've been getting back to watching what I eat, walking, and getting to the gym. I started out at 258 lbs., with a short-term goal of 240. Right now I'm at 251 lbs. and for my long term goal want to get back down to 210. Looking forward to sharing my fitness journey with the 40 + Club!
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    5k today as planned Tomorrow rest day
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Shoulders