Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    inezbruce wrote: »
    Less carbs!

More fat! Lots of calories!

An avocado has more fat then a chicken breast, its not always a bad thing :)
    The ingredients in lidnt 90% are far better then in Cadburys dairy milk.

The ingredients aren't "far better". They are different. If I'm in my calorie goal for the day, have eaten nutritionally dease foods and have room for a nutritionally sparse food like chocolate, I don't get bonus points for eating the dark above the milk chocolate.

Dark chocolate is not a super food. It's a nutritionally sparce food compared to a plethora of other foods. People who chose to eat it should if they like it but hopefully they aren't deluding themselves into thinking they've somehow made themselves healthier by choosing it over any other nutritionally sparce treat despite what "research" a Google search and the resulting dozens of buzzfeed type articles will claim.
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Less carbs!

The ingredients aren't "far better". They are different. If I'm in my calorie goal for the day, have eaten nutritionally dease foods and have room for a nutritionally sparse food like chocolate, I don't get bonus points for eating the dark above the milk chocolate.

Dark chocolate is not a super food. It's a nutritionally sparce food compared to a plethora of other foods. People who chose to eat it should if they like it but hopefully they aren't deluding themselves into thinking they've somehow made themselves healthier by choosing it over any other nutritionally sparce treat despite what "research" a Google search and the resulting dozens of buzzfeed type articles will claim.

Lets compare
    Lidnt 99%
    Cocoa Paste, Fat-Reduced Cocoa, Cocoa Butter, Demerara Sugar, Cocoa Solids:

Cadburys Dairy milk
    Milk, sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, vegetable fats (palm, shea), emulsifiers (E442, E476), flavourings.

I know which one id choose.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Less carbs!

Lets compare
    Lidnt 99%
    Cocoa Paste, Fat-Reduced Cocoa, Cocoa Butter, Demerara Sugar, Cocoa Solids:

Cadburys Dairy milk
    Milk, sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, vegetable fats (palm, shea), emulsifiers (E442, E476), flavourings.

I know which one id choose.

And Lindt milk chocolate has: Sugar, cocoa butter, whole milk powder, cocoa mass, milk sugar, reduced milk powder, emulsifier soy lecithin, barley malt extract, clarified butter, vanilla aroma.

99% chocolate is a different food than milk chocolate that has different ingredients.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You could add raw cacao powder into a smoothie if you want the antioxidants from it. It's also an energy boost (like coffee) if you want that. And still eat dark chocolate for the fun of it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Highest I had was 90%. I like it. Hmm I'm going to get groceries in a bit, maybe I'll get some.

There's a warning on the package, basically for stupid people lol. It is intense but the whole bar has less than 300 calories. I think the package says 220 but that is one thing I have found to weigh more, by a long shot, than what the package says.

I could have gotten the Lindt one but it was 2.50 for 50 grams vs. cheaper brand 85% at 1 Euro for 100, so I compromised and did not satisfy my curiosity.

Whaa?? Come on.
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Daily dark chocolate consumption here, must be 60% or higher cocoa.

Why?

Because it's bitter.

I tend to have a fatty liver, no gall bladder and a long history of diabetes...
    Along with the flavonoids and all that they can do in/for the brain; eating bitters regularly has been shown to:

Curb sugar cravings
    Soothe gas and bloating
    Encourage digestive enzymes, bile & HCL production
    Calm upset stomach and nausea
    Increase absorption of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K
    Help maintain healthy blood sugar levels
    Balance appetite
    Ease constipation and regulate bowel movements
    Support liver function and healthy skin

Folks use to eat bitters after a meal due to its' engagement of the digestive system.

However i'm also an advocate of the many diverse roots, barks, flowers and herbs of the wild plant kingdom in which are bursting with bitter flavor and flavonoids as well. :o)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread I've decided to give dark chocolate another try and am hoping 2 squares will satisfy my sweet craving. I went hardcore :tongue: and bought the darkest choc they had.

a1a2vrksxk10.png
  • arditarose
    Options
    @Christine_72 But they didn't have 99%? J/k I don't recommend that one to anyone who wants to "dabble" in dark chocolate lol
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @Christine_72 But they didn't have 99%? J/k I don't recommend that one to anyone who wants to "dabble" in dark chocolate lol

Haha I knew someone was going to say that. It was either 70% or this one, nothing in between, and the 70% ones were all flavoured with caramel, sea salt or almond, which would make them too tempting to overeat!
  • arditarose
    Options

Haha I knew someone was going to say that. It was either 70% or this one, nothing in between, and the 70% ones were all flavoured with caramel, sea salt or almond, which would make them too tempting to overeat!

Yeah, the caramel and sea salt ones are really good.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There is one by the endangered species brand that is 70% with almond cream. It is basically marzipan. That's how it tastes. It's so good, but only if you like marzipan. I know some people don't.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    There is one by the endangered species brand that is 70% with almond cream. It is basically marzipan. That's how it tastes. It's so good, but only if you like marzipan. I know some people don't.

OMG i love marzipan!!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I went to Walmart yesterday and got some 100% cacao chocolate (Baker's unsweetened and Ghiradelli 100% cacao) and had the Baker's chocolate last night. I have been missing out on such amazingness (if anything, I wish there was a tiny bit more cocoa butter in it. The mouthfeel was a tiny bit dry/gritty, but it might be because I'm used to 85-90% chocolate).

Thanks for fueling my dark chocolate addiction!
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Daily dark chocolate consumption here, must be 60% or higher cocoa.

Why?

Because it's bitter.

I tend to have a fatty liver, no gall bladder and a long history of diabetes...
    Along with the flavonoids and all that they can do in/for the brain; eating bitters regularly has been shown to:

Curb sugar cravings
    Soothe gas and bloating
    Encourage digestive enzymes, bile & HCL production
    Calm upset stomach and nausea
    Increase absorption of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K
    Help maintain healthy blood sugar levels
    Balance appetite
    Ease constipation and regulate bowel movements
    Support liver function and healthy skin

Folks use to eat bitters after a meal due to its' engagement of the digestive system.

However i'm also an advocate of the many diverse roots, barks, flowers and herbs of the wild plant kingdom in which are bursting with bitter flavor and flavonoids as well. :o)

Been shown by whom?
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Less carbs!

Minimally processed dark chocolate is nutritionally better for you than milk chocolate due to the amount of flavanols it contains, which benefit the body in many ways. It contains less calories per gram than milk chocolate as there is less sugar etc in it therefore it is the 'healthier' option than milk chocolate, although it won't make you healthy, that's the difference. I'm not being pedantic it's just a fact.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    faramelee wrote: »
    Less carbs!

Minimally processed dark chocolate is nutritionally better for you than milk chocolate due to the amount of flavanols it contains, which benefit the body in many ways. It contains less calories per gram than milk chocolate as there is less sugar etc in it therefore it is the 'healthier' option than milk chocolate, although it won't make you healthy, that's the difference. I'm not being pedantic it's just a fact.

It may be better for YOU nutritionally, but you don't know mine or anyone else's nutritional needs. Maybe I want the calories and the sugar for MY needs.

• stevencloser
    edited August 2016
    Options
    faramelee wrote: »
    Less carbs!

Dark chocolate has more calories than milk chocolate... You shouldn't say things are fact when in fact they're not facts.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but "dark chocolate" isn't really a thing in so much that companies can label something as dark chocolate despite it having a relatively low cocoa percentage.

It needs to be 70% cocoa at a minimum, but 85-90% and even 95-100% is best.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    My 85% is 100 calories higher than the milk chocolate by the same brand.

And it's delicious.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    battyfitch wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but "dark chocolate" isn't really a thing in so much that companies can label something as dark chocolate despite it having a relatively low cocoa percentage.

It needs to be 70% cocoa at a minimum, but 85-90% and even 95-100% is best.

I'm pretty sure most people are aware of that. Its been all over the internet and media for years being shoved down peoples throats. Instructions on % and all, advising people how healthy it is. I have fat relatives that eat dark chocolate because they think its better for their health.