August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    Ok, I'm all caught up with reading the pages. Sheesh! Currently at 9/50 miles for the month. Almost all of them were walking. I adopted a 6yr old ACD-Kelpie from the shelter 6 weeks ago and we've been working on a lot of things. Not being a jerkface on the leash being one of the highest priorities. We can't jog together because I'm human and he's a machine, so I just started (this week) taking him on bike rides where he sets the pace. On Tuesday we went out and he jogged/loped/trotted/galloped/ran the entire 5k with no indication of needing to stop. Except for the potty breaks. 25 minutes. Start to finish, multiple full stop potty breaks, and we ended at the 25 minute mark. So I'm thinking that having him as a running partner will frustrate him more than it will help me! On the plus side though, when I want to slow down....he's having none of that!!

This is too funny!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Finally took a running rest day yesterday, but met up with a buddy this morning, and ended up doing some side by side treadmill running while watching olympic water polo and table tennis. Did 10 miles, but the watch recorded 9.5 as I did some faster miles in the middle.

Planning to do another 20 miler tomorrow before flying back to Florida, leaving me with just 1 pre-chicago 20 miler to do there before doing my last one on my next northern trip.

8/2 - 11 miles (w. 2 at MP)
    8/3 - 4 miles (w. 2 miles near threshold HR)
    8/5 - 12 miles
    8/6 - 11 miles
    8/7 - 20 miles
    8/8 - 7 miles (w. 6 at MP)
    8/9 - 11.5 miles
    8/11 - 10 miles

Total: 86.5 miles, 3 session with MP/threshold HR/speedwork running
    Goal: 200 miles, 8 faster sessions
    Remaining; 113.5 miles, 5 faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
  • atlantarunner
    atlantarunner Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just discovered this group/challenge and am jumping in late with my tiny progress so far on my tiny goal of 25 miles for August (coming back from knee injury... I've primarily been strength training and resting). I hope to be able to run (survive) the Atlanta 10-Miler in late October.

8/9 1.4

exercise.png
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @luluinca My heart rate is 127 just walking. LOL Average about 165 over the course of a run but if I speed up or do hills it's 185. But maybe my HR is just able to go that high :-p Resting HR is about 55 so I just don't worry about it.

I feel like I could have written this myself, lol. I average 165-170ish, and higher when it's hot and/or humid like it has been lately. I think the highest I've ever maxed out at was around 190ish, although I've never had any kind of official test to determine my max HR. And also the same for the resting heart rate, so I don't worry either, lol

That formula that was posted earlier actually seems like it might be somewhat accurate-ish for me:

217 - (33x.85) = 189 + 5 = 194
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Welcome @atlantarunner!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Article on gps watches for 2016 - the link says 2015 because lower in the article it gives that list again in case you want to grab them on sale.

http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2014/12/top-5-gps-running-watches-for-2015/

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @luluinca My heart rate is 127 just walking. LOL Average about 165 over the course of a run but if I speed up or do hills it's 185. But maybe my HR is just able to go that high :-p Resting HR is about 55 so I just don't worry about it.

I feel like I could have written this myself, lol. I average 165-170ish, and higher when it's hot and/or humid like it has been lately. I think the highest I've ever maxed out at was around 190ish, although I've never had any kind of official test to determine my max HR. And also the same for the resting heart rate, so I don't worry either, lol

That formula that was posted earlier actually seems like it might be somewhat accurate-ish for me:

217 - (33x.85) = 189 + 5 = 194

I think my age has something to do with my HR, although my resting is 55, and I don't feel like I'm going pass out at 180.............I'm just trying to work up to running a little faster which means my HR will also go up I guess.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    August

2Aug - 7m
    4Aug - 8m
    6Aug - 5m
    7Aug - 6.4m
    9Aug - 4.8m
    11Aug - 7m

38.4/100miles

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    It's so freaking hot. Heat advisory for the next few days. I was in Target this afternoon and they dimmed the lights to save energy and avoid brown-outs I guess.

I've had a bad couple of days. Bringing the dog to the ER vet two days in a row, then having her admitted for 24 hours, now she's home but still not super well (she has lymphoma and had some kind of acute infection they think). I haven't gotten out to run yesterday or today. I still may tonight, but again, so hot. I can barely stomach the idea of getting all sweaty immediately. We just got our next two months of training plans for my half/full marathon group including taper plans and now I'm freaked out about getting off track. My mind is not in a good place. I could use a good run (but it's so hot! and around we go!!!).

Hang in there the rest of you all over the heat advisory areas.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @katharmonic -Yes. Hot. I woke up thinking I would run for an hour. That number has been steadily decreasing in my mind as the day goes on. Currently thinking I will be fine with a half hour. By the time I get out there, I will probably convince myself that it's a good day for a rest day. There's always yoga. In my basement. Where it's cool.

Also, sorry about your doggie :(
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @5512bf @luluinca Max HR is set and you can't train it. You can lower your resting heart rate but you can't increase your max. It's set. Only time you go over your max is if you are having a heart attack or something like that. Problem is it's hard to achieve max heart rate. Most people will give up before hitting it because of the extreme discomfort. I thought mine was 196 because that's what I reached in a 5k but then I did another 5k with 100% humidity and kicked a little too hard at the end. I though I was gonna die right there. Hit 198.

I'm 24 so my 220-24 would be 196 and for me it's a little off. I have a friend who is 27 and his would be 193 but he is red lining at 180. That's my tempo hr

I also know someone with a max hr of 212. I saw his strava run averaging 200 and I was like dude are you ok? and he was like yea that's normal

Had a really bad day today. Woke up with my belly feeling inflated. I hoped it will pass so I could run in the evening. It was better and decided to go with my schedule anyway. Had a 20 min tempo and 6 reps of 200. Nothing hard. Warm up went ok. After 13 min in my tempo run my heart rate was in the red zone and I wanted to empty the content of my stomach right there. Worst 15 min driving home in my life. Everything was dizzy. My heart rate monitor indicated a resting heart rate of 125 and it wouldn't go down. I threw up everything I ate 24 hours ago and today and felt instantly better so thats that. I guess 13 min of tempo is fine too.

Now I'm hungry and thirsty but its 11 PM. I only ate 1200 cals today.

Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

August 1 - 6.6 km - V.Easy/7:00
    August 2 - 7.4 km - Reps/4:00
    August 3 - 7.6 km - V.Easy/6:50
    August 4 - 6.4 km - Easy/6:15
    August 5 - 12+4km - Tempo&Reps and Easy/4:50
    August 6 - 5.0 km - Easy/6:05
    August 7 - 10.4km - Long(ish)Run/6:17
    August 8 - 3.6 km - Easy/6:00
    August 9 - 6.0 km - Easy/6:07
    August 10- 10.2km - Speedwork/4:20
    August 11- 6.0 km - Tempo/4:45

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    25/09: Black Sea 10k
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    100km!
    And at least a kilometer week of 1-200m sprints :smile:

3rd August - 7km
    4th August - 12km

8th - 5km
    10th - 5.5km
    11th - 3?km aprox.

Let my garmin battery go flat yesterday :(
    And I smashed my big toe on this nice, steep, rocky, twisty path. Corner of my toenail is split off by a crack and the joint is a bit swollen (and bruising up this morning).
    Hopefully its starts getting better tomorrow.

32.5/100km

• FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    100km!
    And at least a kilometer week of 1-200m sprints :smile:

3rd August - 7km
    4th August - 12km

8th - 5km
    10th - 5.5km
    11th - 3?km aprox.

Let my garmin battery go flat yesterday :(
    And I smashed my big toe on this nice, steep, rocky, twisty path. Corner of my toenail is split off by a crack and the joint is a bit swollen (and bruising up this morning).
    Hopefully its starts getting better tomorrow.

32.5/100km

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @5512bf @luluinca Max HR is set and you can't train it. You can lower your resting heart rate but you can't increase your max. It's set. Only time you go over your max is if you are having a heart attack or something like that. Problem is it's hard to achieve max heart rate. Most people will give up before hitting it because of the extreme discomfort. I thought mine was 196 because that's what I reached in a 5k but then I did another 5k with 100% humidity and kicked a little too hard at the end. I though I was gonna die right there. Hit 198.

I threw up everything I ate 24 hours ago and today and felt instantly better so thats that. I guess 13 min of tempo is fine too.

Aweful that you're sick! Hope you recover quickly!

Interesting on the HR. I've given up on trying to normal. Mine is one that runs high, 200-210 is not uncommon to see.

I did the stair stepper today at 24 spm (level 1, it doesn't move any slower) and my HR hit 162. Ya, I probably wasn't supposed to be doing that.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 - oh my gosh, that does sound like the worst run ever!
    @Virkati - Your dog running story cracked me up. :lol:

@skippygirlsmom - 2 days down. Both went very well. The kids are great. The preplanning 6 days was the worst I've ever been through. I usually hate preplanning weeks because I do a lot of stuff for teachers (database setup, etc) and computer stuff so I am so busy. But this year was the worst. I knew and kept trying to tell myself ... when school starts it will all be fine. And it was. Next year I need to go to doctor and get a script for some type of sedative for pre-planning week. I ran every day of preplanning to help with the stress so can't imagine if I hadn't run!

@kristinegift - My daughter said it was brutal running in NYC this morning too. And this weekend is suppose to be really bad. She had to cut it short because she was so hot/sick. She's around your age (I assume, 23) and training for her first marathon while working and is a little in shock. All those years of college and having more time to run... and now really busy in her FT job, working lots of hours. I sent her some of the Oiselle running clothes and she loves them too!

@FrankieandSpots - oh my gosh - sorry about the toe. To me, nothing is more painful than toe pain!

@sunkisd1105 - I used to get awful sinus headaches. They were so bad I thought they were migraines. Anyway, I became addicted to local honey. I have a Tablespoon every day and haven't had a sinus headache in about 3 years. The only problem is when I travel. If I'm only in a city for a couple days I don't have a problem. But if I go visit my mom or daughter in different states during the time stuff is blooming I have to go search for local honey!

@Elise4270 - yeah, I'm thinking the stair climbing probably wasn't in the list of things you could do. :wink: I know you are going crazy though! Can't blame you.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I agree your true max HR is completely unknown, however my point was that those formulas to determine them are useless, especially for those who do a lot of cardio training. I do believe that with cardio training you are obtain HR numbers that are higher than those formulas will calculate and do so without any negative consequence. Like you said, to get your HR in the high 190's, for just about anyone, is incredibly uncomfortable and you are only able to do so for a few seconds before you just have to stop.

When I first started running a HR of 175-180 felt like death and I couldn't go on, now 175-180 is something I see several times a month when doing threshold work and can go with that HR for 15-20 minutes. I think you can push the formula number upwards with training, but you are correct that anything over your true max is bad news.

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @hockeymom95 and @ChrissyTCheerZ and @temaza @atlantarunner Welcome to the group!

@ariceroni That sounds really bad! I hope the rest days help; at least you can still bike.

@HonuNui That actually came from a real crab? You got the weirdest animals! Last time I went snorkling, the most exciting thing I saw was an old hiking boot. ... Must be the reason I ended up with running instead ^^

@MaVieEntiere You are doing great! There is this great quote that @Stoshew71 (I think) always posts: 'Don't Compare Your Chapter 1 To Someone Else's Chapter 20' - some people here have been running for a few years; gradually increasing the distance from month to month. Plus, to be perfectly honest, there's no need to go crazy and run all those super long distances - unless you want to, of course :p

@Virkati Maybe you need to tire your dog out on the bike first, and then take him running. As an added bonus, you can start doing duathlons with that kind of training. :) So... do we get to see a picture of your new running partner?

@1TheQueenB Already past 30miles? You will do great at the 10k; if you keep up that determination until next spring, you'll have a great disney half!

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I feel almost bad to post this, as most of you guys are still stuffering from heat waves, but... it finally got colder this week! Tuesday and Wednesday I ran late in the evening, and both times the temperatures were (barely, but still) below 20C/70F. Today I ran earlier, when the sun was still out, so it was a bit warmer, but none of the killer humidity.

Sadly, the weather forcast claims the summer will return soon - Saturday and Sunday we'll be back around 30C/86F. I guess a cold, rainy weekend would have been too good to be true *sigh*

Despite the colder temps, I wasn't really "feeling it" during the first half of yesterdays run. Originally, I had planned to drive over to the mountains, but then I get held up at work way longer than planned; and then I freaked out because I couldn't find my wallet. After turning my apartment upside-down, driving back to work and searching the office, I finally found it in the car under the seat facepalm.gif
    By that point it was much, much too late to head for the mountain trails. I was rather disappinted about that. On top of that, it was late enough that the sandwich I had for lunch was only a faint memory; so I wanted dinner more than I wanted to run around the neighbourhood...
    I went out anyway, but the first 6 or 7 km I kept arguing with myself if I should really run the planned 14.5km or not. When I came to the point where a right turn would have been the shortcut home, and the left turn the looong way around, my playlist came to the rescue. At that moment, it was playing the end of Resistance by Muse - "We must run, It's time to ru-u-un...". Perfect timing! I decided to take that as a sign to take the long way; and funnily enough, once that decision was made, I enjoyed the second half of my run much more. Still, when I reached my place after 14km, I didn't think twice about skipping the last few hundred meters and finally getting myself some dinner.

I made up for that today though. A colleague mentioned he recently started running again, and we decided to go for a run together after work tonight. He said he could do about 5km at the moment, but "not very fast". I actually had an easy 6km planned for today; so I thought running over to his place to pick him up and then letting him pick the pace would be nice...
    Good thing I had the 1.2km over to his place as a warmup; because we ended up running 6km together, at an average pace of ~6:10min/km - which is somewhere between 10k and HM race pace for me. We still managed to chat during the entire run (but more in one-sentence-bits rather than long stories), and I found out that before he took a break from running, he used to do 9km in 45minutes in the lunch break. Since my 10k RACE PR is barely under 1 hour, I wouldn't have thought todays run would be easy if I had known that before. Guess that's running karma's payback for skipping the last half km yesterday :p

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @5512bf I do agree you need a minimum of fitness to reach your max HR. Otherwise your muscles and lungs will just give up before your heart

@Elise4270 Thanks. I'm already feeling better. I'm sure it's from something I ate yesterday.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »

I agree your true max HR is completely unknown, however my point was that those formulas to determine them are useless, especially for those who do a lot of cardio training. I do believe that with cardio training you are obtain HR numbers that are higher than those formulas will calculate and do so without any negative consequence. Like you said, to get your HR in the high 190's, for just about anyone, is incredibly uncomfortable and you are only able to do so for a few seconds before you just have to stop.

When I first started running a HR of 175-180 felt like death and I couldn't go on, now 175-180 is something I see several times a month when doing threshold work and can go with that HR for 15-20 minutes. I think you can push the formula number upwards with training, but you are correct that anything over your true max is bad news.

That makes sense to me. I guess what I'm hoping to do is decrease the HR threshold at which I can actually run faster. In other words, if I can only run a 13 min mile right now comfortably, then perhaps with training I can run an 11 min mile at the same HR? So while I haven't increased my Max HR I've increased distance by pushing my HR zones gradually over time.

Is that right?

I do remember my Max HR probably being quite a bit lower when I first started going back to the gym. I'd come off a little over a year of a very serious illness and the first time I got on the treadmill I thought 135 was going to kill me.

I think I may have improved my overall health conditions quite a bit since then but I doubt I'll be able to increase my Max HR at this point. I'll be happy to improve my running times though with practice. ;)