All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Eating like a horse= 3,000 calories. I've done it, many, many times.

It's not a big deal. Anybody can do it. But everyday? I don't think so. Not even close.

Wait a diddly darn second. First you say you ate like a pig and more than anyone you knew and never gained weight and now you're like "Whoah dude, 3000 calories is a ton!"?

I ate like a pig when I was 21. Now I'm 57 and I don't eat like a pig. Nice try. But if I wanted to, I could polish away ANY meal at Cheesecake Factory and finish with a nice piece of cheesecake.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    An efficient metabolism is able to do more work with less input.

ETA: Just like an efficient car gets better gas mileage, so you need to fill it up less often.

Some people convert their cars to run on grease trap leavings. They then collect the leavings for free so their car essentially is the best mileage of all when you think about the costs.
    Maybe some people's metabolisms are like that.
    Lol, when you say "convert" you're talking about someone changing their genetics? :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics
    So explain how epigenetics changes DNA sequence. I'd like to hear it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @ndj1979

I was looking for studies that show how much people err in estimating caloric intake and the numbers are all over the place. Could you direct me to the source of your information that people's estimates are off by 30-50%? Thanks in advance.

I am curious to know just how accurate MFP loggers are...I use a food scale, and after reading on these forums how inaccurate the weight of packaged foods can be, I weigh & measure those, too. It's illuminating to weigh pre-packaged foods.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36988065
    The Behavioural Insights Team points to scientific and economic data showing people eat 3,000 calories, compared to the 2,000 cited in official surveys.

http://www.behaviouralinsights.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/16-07-12-Counting-Calories-Final.pdf

3,000 calories? Do you know how much that it is? Sorry, but unless your have a big meal with drinks at a restaurant, drinking a six-pack of Coke, or eating entire giant bags of chips, you are not eating 3,000 calories. And if we were, just about every woman and most men would be obese.

Sorry, but not as hard as you may think for people that eat out.

Cheesecake Factory The Bistro Shrimp Pasta - 3,120 calories
    Cheesecake Factory Bruleed French Toast - 2780 calories
    Cheesecake Factory - Farfalle With Chicken and Roasted Garlic - 2410 calories
    Sonic: Large Peanut Butter Caramel Pie Malt (just one milkshake) - 2170 calories
    Maggiano's Little Italy Veal Porterhouse - 2,710 calories
    Johnny Rockets Bacon & Cheddar Double Cheeseburger (just the burger) - 1,770 calories.

I could go on.

Cheesecake Factory is at most a once a month occasion. And anyone with half a brain would eat half and take the other half home, because the portions are so large. They also have lots of better options.

Imagine eating the entire Bistro Shrimp Pasta with a couple of beers, and having a piece of strawberry cheesecake for desert. Gut buster!

You said nothing about times a month/occasions or/and brain requirements. All you said was (you are not eating 3,000 calories) it was hard to do. I pointed out that it wasn't and gave just a few of dozens and dozens available examples of why it's not hard to do. My roommate has cooked in the kitchen about 3 times in the last year. It shows.

My typical breakfast is two eggs with shredded cheese or a Greek yogurt. For lunch I might have a tuna or a turkey sandwich. Snacks are next to nothing. So I'm going into dinner having eaten about 700 calories. Could I have a 2,300-calorie dinner every night? Sure. But I don't because I don't pig out. Could I eat a giant bag of chips with sour cream dip through the course of a day and pack on another 2,000 calories? Of course. But I don't.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Eating like a horse= 3,000 calories. I've done it, many, many times.

It's not a big deal. Anybody can do it. But everyday? I don't think so. Not even close.

Wait a diddly darn second. First you say you ate like a pig and more than anyone you knew and never gained weight and now you're like "Whoah dude, 3000 calories is a ton!"?

I ate like a pig when I was 21. Now I'm 57 and I don't eat like a pig. Nice try. But if I wanted to, I could polish away ANY meal at Cheesecake Factory and finish with a nice piece of cheesecake.
    Lol, I'm 52 and eat almost 3,000 calories daily. That's not "pigging" out either. It's just calorie dense food.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Well y'all have convinced me that 3000 calories could be easily achieved :lol: I'm eyeballs deep in diet mode!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    3,000 calories? Do you know how much that it is? Sorry, but unless your have a big meal with drinks at a restaurant, drinking a six-pack of Coke, or eating entire giant bags of chips, you are not eating 3,000 calories. And if we were, just about every woman and most men would be obese.

Here's a daily meal plan involving no restaurants, no ridiculous portions, no packaged chips/junk food, no alcohol, no full-calorie sodas, all prepared entirely at home, which is over 3000 calories. It's eggs, bacon and toast for breakfast, a turkey breast sandwich and a handful of almonds for lunch, and a moderate-sized steak, baked potato and broccoli for dinner:

Breakfast - 1080 calories
    2 jumbo eggs cooked in 1 tbsp. olive oil (300 calories)
    2 slices toast with 2 tbsp. butter (440 calories)
    3 slices bacon, cooked in 1 tbsp. olive oil (230 calories)
    8 oz. glass orange juice (110 calories)

Lunch - 940 calories
    4 oz. sliced turkey breast (120 calories)
    2 slices Dave’s Killer Bread Powerseed (220 calories)
    1 tbsp. mayonnaise (100 calories)
    ½ avocado, sliced (130 calories)
    Lettuce, tomato, onion (~30 calories)
    2 oz. smoked almonds (340 calories)
    Diet cola (0 calories)

Dinner - 1210 calories
    8 oz. ribeye steak (656 calories)
    Baked potato (281 calories)
    1 tbsp. butter (110 calories)
    2 tbsp. sour cream (60 calories)
    3 oz. broccoli (103 calories)
    Iced tea, unsweetened (0 calories)

Total daily calories - 3230
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was consistently consuming 2-2.5k calories per day. 3000 was more than I could ever manage and feel comfortable.

It was still enough for me to creepingly become more and more overweight, though. I maintained around 1900, but it only took a slice of cake or extra round of toast a day to go way over.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    bethannien wrote: »
    I feel so bad for OP.

To be fair, going to a calorie-counting website, and posting that calorie-counting isn't necessary as per this book is kinda asking for an argument.

If it makes you feel better, maybe she quit because she doesn't need to count calories? :drinker:

I was curious and went to Amazon to read the reviews for the book Always Hungry that OP mentioned. People are reporting that it is difficult to find time to cook, the ingredients are expensive, and it's not family friendly as far as familiar tastes. I do love to cook home made meals but noticed on the reviews even some who like to cook were complaining.

People who participated in the pre release study did lose weight on the diet and weren't hungry. So I can see the draw for those who tend to be hungry all of the time.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    I was consistently consuming 2-2.5k calories per day. 3000 was more than I could ever manage and feel comfortable.

It was still enough for me to creepingly become more and more overweight, though. I maintained around 1900, but it only took a slice of cake or extra round of toast a day to go way over.

That's me also. My maintenance is 1700 calories. I did an experiment to see what I eat when I don't do weight management. I easily creep up to 2000 which if not cut back quickly will cause a weight gain for me. I don't have a huge deficit to play with like some people are fortunate to have. But then again I don't have a lot of weight to lose so I don't need as many calories to begin with.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Lol at 3k being hard to do.

I'm glad you chimed in!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    @ndj1979

I was looking for studies that show how much people err in estimating caloric intake and the numbers are all over the place. Could you direct me to the source of your information that people's estimates are off by 30-50%? Thanks in advance.

I am curious to know just how accurate MFP loggers are...I use a food scale, and after reading on these forums how inaccurate the weight of packaged foods can be, I weigh & measure those, too. It's illuminating to weigh pre-packaged foods.
    The Behavioural Insights Team points to scientific and economic data showing people eat 3,000 calories, compared to the 2,000 cited in official surveys.

http://www.behaviouralinsights.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/16-07-12-Counting-Calories-Final.pdf

How funny to read this now, as others have said. I'm an 108 pound woman who eats 2000 to 2500 just to maintain her weight, so I think it's interesting that despite your "eat like a horse" past you think 3000 calories is a lot. I guess you didn't eat as much as you thought.
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    @ndj1979

How funny to read this now, as others have said. I'm an 108 pound woman who eats 2000 to 2500 just to maintain her weight, so I think it's interesting that despite your "eat like a horse" past you think 3000 calories is a lot. I guess you didn't eat as much as you thought.

Deny, deny, deny. No such thing as fast metabolisms.

Give 500 men who are age 22 and the same height, the same amount of calories for a year and have them do the same amount of exercise, and their weight results will be the same. Sure.