Friends with benefits

Options
chamzlila
chamzlila Posts: 189 Member
So 2 months ago my 11 year relationship ended in quite a traumatic way. I haven't been single in so long and i think i have been seeking someone to be there for me in quite unhealthy way. I realise that a relationship is not what i need for quite some time i feel. However, i have been seeing someone for the past few weeks who has proven to be a very lovely and geuine guy. We both don't want to be in a relationship with anyone but we do still have a lot of physical attraction and talked about juat having a purely physical relationship. However, however, i have never felt like i was the kind of person who could do that as i wear my heart on my sleeves and catch feelings so easily. At this moment in time i am thinking this actually could work out ok.....
Any advice and words of wisdom will be much appreciated X

Replies

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There's nothing at all wrong with consenting adults having a FWB. Enjoy it til it gets complicated. There is absolutely no reason you should ever question your self worth over it. The only time it's wrong is if you are doing something you don't want.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    From my experience I can say "don't do it". Good sex isn't worth what you'll be feeling about yourself in the long run. Even if you think you won't get attached, you will. And you'll get hurt. It's a bad time.

I find for the most part this is true,

but I say go for it. The only time I've ever had a traumatic break up, I found that being a jobless drunk that partied each night and slept around for 2 months cured me. I don't have any regrets. I actually have quite a lot of entertaining stories from that summer. :lol:
  • 240sx7
    240sx7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    From my experience I can say "don't do it". Good sex isn't worth what you'll be feeling about yourself in the long run. Even if you think you won't get attached, you will. And you'll get hurt. It's a bad time.

but I say go for it. The only time I've ever had a traumatic break up, I found that being a jobless drunk that partied each night and slept around for 2 months cured me. I don't have any regrets. I actually have quite a lot of entertaining stories from that summer. :lol:

..and you're a guy too.
    I don't think you have the same perspective as a woman, but that's just my opinion.

Who knows.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    240sx7 wrote: »

..and you're a guy too.
    I don't think you have the same perspective as a woman, but that's just my opinion.

Who knows.

Are you saying men and women should have different ideas about sex?
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Are you saying all women are the same?
  • 240sx7
    240sx7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nope, i said that's my opinion.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    kind of sounds like your heart is "part way attached" so if this is the case and you see this guy as the "settle down with" sort of guy, i say run for the hills unless he and you are ready to commit. otherwise there is pain looming on the horizon.

If you want to just have a sex fling, then find they "safe guy" you don't have any feelings for that you are sure you can use play with.

Sounds like this guy isn't that sort of guy. MHO.
  • chamzlila
    Options
    Thank you all. I do take your points on board.

Getting attached to him is what i worry about the most. Neither of us are the sleeping around type....well to be honest i am not sure what type i am anymore because i was basically a kid when my relationship started
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I knew this would be a clear divide. Men say "Most definitely go for it" and the women "Don't do it".

It's obvious men view sex purely as a physical act. They don't have to be emotionally involved to have it. Women are emotionally driven so if we have sex even if we think it's just "FWB" eventually our emotions will get involved. So therefore DONT do it.

I beg to differ. I said run for the hills. and i stand by my humble opinion
  • chamzlila
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    kind of sounds like your heart is "part way attached" so if this is the case and you see this guy as the "settle down with" sort of guy, i say run for the hills unless he and you are ready to commit. otherwise there is pain looming on the horizon.

If you want to just have a sex fling, then find they "safe guy" you don't have any feelings for that you are sure you can use play with.

Sounds like this guy isn't that sort of guy. MHO.

I don't know what MHO means!!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

but I say go for it. The only time I've ever had a traumatic break up, I found that being a jobless drunk that partied each night and slept around for 2 months cured me. I don't have any regrets. I actually have quite a lot of entertaining stories from that summer.

This was me too.

... but instead of the word Summer, substitute the word : Decade
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I have done this several times, One it worked out great with. It was strictly a booty call. He would come over, we would talk for about 30 minutes or so, do our thing. He would stick around for maybe 30 more minutes and then take off. Really only talked to him when one or the other was in the mood. It was open so, either one of us could date another.

One was alright, We hung out as friends, had sex when we wanted. The sex was boring and the friendship was mediocre. Eventually, I resented him for not being that great and broke it off.

The last one, I ended up married to for 11 years. But before we got to that point he disappeared when I started having feeling for him. We've now been separated/soon to be divorced for 3 almost 4 years.

If you easily get emotionally attached, and you are already friends with this guy, I would say don't cross that line. It is hard to do the FWB when you have feelings for the other person.
  • mariesilva726
    mariesilva726 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I say get out while you can. It's great in the beginning but as always one of you will fall into feelings and that's when it gets difficult. Your past relationships gave you too much drama I'm sure, but don't let that change or devalue who you are as a person. Only you know...