low carb Does work!!!!

Options

Replies

• Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Thedietdoctor. People should read this website with a critical eye. The information is dishonest at best.

Your proof?

I know for a fact that he is lying. Takes one instance to disprove a claim. I personally gained weight on a ketogenic diet with a carb level even lower than his (less than 20 g of carbs a day) because I found it hard to keep my calories under control with the sort of hunger I had.

This is not a proof, I will not be responding further.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thedietdoctor. People should read this website with a critical eye. The information is dishonest at best.

Your proof?

If your source wouldn't fly in a university homework, don't use it in a serious discussion about something scientific.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    YES! LCHF (emphasis on high fat) absolutely does work...AND it's the healthiest way to eat because it suppresses the insulin surges caused by carbs. LCHF eating heals the body and nourishes the brain. It gets our bodies to burn stored fat for fuel, which leads to inches lost gradually. I highly recommend that you read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. He explains the science behind lchf. Don't buy into the calorie counting diets that include carbs...they're unhealthy, unsustainable, & don't work. I lost 34 lbs post-menopause at 56. I'm 58 now & feel younger & more energetic than ever.

Sadly this is all wrong...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Your proof?

I know for a fact that he is lying. Takes one instance to disprove a claim. I personally gained weight on a ketogenic diet with a carb level even lower than his (less than 20 g of carbs a day) because I found it hard to keep my calories under control with the sort of hunger I had.

All proof needed to refute a "All X do Y" claim is finding 1 single instance of an X where Y is not given. That IS proof.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Your proof?

The photos on his first page were photoshopped. The gal with the white shirt has the same wrinkles but her belly was erased. I didn't need to look any further. Oh yep, I can overeat fat not gain weight, not ever.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    YES! LCHF (emphasis on high fat) absolutely does work...AND it's the healthiest way to eat because it suppresses the insulin surges caused by carbs. LCHF eating heals the body and nourishes the brain. It gets our bodies to burn stored fat for fuel, which leads to inches lost gradually. I highly recommend that you read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. He explains the science behind lchf. Don't buy into the calorie counting diets that include carbs...they're unhealthy, unsustainable, & don't work. I lost 34 lbs post-menopause at 56. I'm 58 now & feel younger & more energetic than ever.

Sadly this is all wrong...

That should be quoted in the "Why do people detest low carb" thread because it's a prime example of all the reasons.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    MrsKila wrote: »
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet

Very interesting. People first believed that the world was flat. I'm just saying. It's a lot of different ways to look at things. Not defending or undefending this link. It is interesting though.

lololol Who in the h.e.ll could even afford to eat 5k+ calories a day? So much horse crap.

People with jobs, maybe?
    Interestingly, LCHF is usually cheaper to eat at high calories on (assuming that you cook for yourself), because the whole fat phobia thing still lingering tends to keep fattier meat choices cheaper. Compare the edible yield cost if chicken wings and thighs to breasts, then realize that said wings and thighs are also far more calorically dense than the breast. Now do the same thing with say 93/7 ground beef, vs. 73/27. Now again with ribs vs. pork loin. And once more with whole brisket vs. trimmed. Whole eggs vs. egg whites. I can do this all day.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet

Very interesting. People first believed that the world was flat. I'm just saying. It's a lot of different ways to look at things. Not defending or undefending this link. It is interesting though.

lololol Who in the h.e.ll could even afford to eat 5k+ calories a day? So much horse crap.

People with jobs, maybe?
    Interestingly, LCHF is usually cheaper to eat at high calories on (assuming that you cook for yourself), because the whole fat phobia thing still lingering tends to keep fattier meat choices cheaper. Compare the edible yield cost if chicken wings and thighs to breasts, then realize that said wings and thighs are also far more calorically dense than the breast. Now do the same thing with say 93/7 ground beef, vs. 73/27. Now again with ribs vs. pork loin. And once more with whole brisket vs. trimmed. Whole eggs vs. egg whites. I can do this all day.

Agreed on the price of protein, you get more bang for your buck. But the real crux of her argument is the eating of vast amounts of calories(fat) and not gaining because of it being fat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

People with jobs, maybe?

Agreed on the price of protein, you get more bang for your buck. But the real crux of her argument is the eating of vast amounts of calories(fat) and not gaining because of it being fat.

Oh yeah, no that part is bullcrap. Hell, I'm currently running a keto bulk, and gaining pretty consistently at between 2400-3000 kcals per day, lifting six days per week, and hitting 10k steps outside of that, on a nigh daily basis. I'm staying sub-20 on carbs, and running a 65/30 split on f/p.

Granted, I was in hardcore skinnyfat territory (5'10", 150.3 lbs. start, now 157.4 lbs.) after this past year's sedentary hellcut at 1450 kcal/day.
  • queenliz99
    Options

People with jobs, maybe?

Oh yeah, no that part is bullcrap. Hell, I'm currently running a keto bulk, and gaining pretty consistently at between 2400-3000 kcals per day, lifting six days per week, and hitting 10k steps outside of that, on a nigh daily basis. I'm staying sub-20 on carbs, and running a 65/30 split on f/p.

Granted, I was in hardcore skinnyfat territory (5'10", 150.3 lbs. start, now 157.4 lbs.) after this past year's sedentary hellcut at 1450 kcal/day.

Thank you for clarifying.
  • stevencloser
    Options

People with jobs, maybe?

But, but you CAN'T gain weight on keto!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    It may be that athletes also need to balance the increase in protein consumption with what macronutrient is reduced. The prudent advice for athletes would be to focus on reducing intakes of lipids to allow carbohydrate intakes to achieve performance.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4213385/#CR8
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options

You low calorie and nothing else people. I giggle every time
  • MrsKila
    Options
    moonlights wrote: »
    I'm 5'2", female, I eat less than 20g carbs a day and between 1800 and 2000 calories - most of my calories are from fat. According to the guidelines on here I shouldn't lose eating at this calorie level but I lost 50lbs in about 8 months. When I eat carbs and cut calories I tend to gain - and I'm hoping to go back to low carb permanently now after some bad emotional eating. I feel better and more energetic on low carb and once I'm at goal I can increase carbs to 100g ish and still maintain. Ymmv but that's been my experience. Low carb isn't easy to stick to but neither is low calorie, for me. I'm starving all the time on low calorie and rarely hungry at all on low carb. It's pretty much a miracle diet if you ask me.

If you magically gain weight when you eat carbs (and CUT calories), how on earth do you propose to NOT gain weight when you increase your carbs again in maintenance? Will being at your "goal" weight automatically keep your weight stable? Is 100 grams of carbs the magic carb number to stay at and maintain weight?

Help me understand your reasoning.

Good catch.

Did you READ IT? I propose you reread then ask your question again because your question doesn't make any sense. And like I said I do not agree or disagree it's just very interesting. A lot of you people post up here like you all are either scientist or dietitian or nutritionist. It really makes me smile. There's more than one way to skin a cat meaning there's more than one way to lose weight. Don't jump down other people's throat because they find another way to do so.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'2", female, I eat less than 20g carbs a day and between 1800 and 2000 calories - most of my calories are from fat. According to the guidelines on here I shouldn't lose eating at this calorie level but I lost 50lbs in about 8 months. When I eat carbs and cut calories I tend to gain - and I'm hoping to go back to low carb permanently now after some bad emotional eating. I feel better and more energetic on low carb and once I'm at goal I can increase carbs to 100g ish and still maintain. Ymmv but that's been my experience. Low carb isn't easy to stick to but neither is low calorie, for me. I'm starving all the time on low calorie and rarely hungry at all on low carb. It's pretty much a miracle diet if you ask me.

If you magically gain weight when you eat carbs (and CUT calories), how on earth do you propose to NOT gain weight when you increase your carbs again in maintenance? Will being at your "goal" weight automatically keep your weight stable? Is 100 grams of carbs the magic carb number to stay at and maintain weight?

Good catch.

Did you READ IT? I propose you reread then ask your question again because your question doesn't make any sense. And like I said I do not agree or disagree it's just very interesting. A lot of you people post up here like you all are either scientist or dietitian or nutritionist. It really makes me smile. There's more than one way to skin a cat meaning there's more than one way to lose weight. Don't jump down other people's throat because they find another way to do so.

there is only one way to lose weight...consume less calories than you burn...

how you apply that can be different but don't think for one minute that HFLC or low carb in general guarantees weight loss. Over maintenance calories you will gain...

and let's be clear...athletes and larger people don't gain on 5k calories a day...regular people not so much.
  • MrsKila
    edited August 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Good catch.

there is only one way to lose weight...consume less calories than you burn...

how you apply that can be different but don't think for one minute that HFLC or low carb in general guarantees weight loss. Over maintenance calories you will gain...

and let's be clear...athletes and larger people don't gain on 5k calories a day...regular people not so much.

:)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You low calorie and nothing else people. I giggle every time

You eat the same amount of calories to lose whether you do HFLC or not.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Good catch.

READ WHAT? The poster quoted in this series of comments claims that at 5'2 they can eat b/w 1800-2000 cals on a LCHF diet and lose weight, but that if they eat same amount of calories and don't restrict carbs they would gain. Yet that poster also says that when she reaches her goal weight, she plans to increase carbs, so the question is that if carbs magically make her gain weight at a certain calorie level, then what is her plan for maintaining that goal weight?

The point many of us are trying to make is that regardless of what carb level a person aims for, it is a calorie deficit that results in weight loss.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    It may be that athletes also need to balance the increase in protein consumption with what macronutrient is reduced. The prudent advice for athletes would be to focus on reducing intakes of lipids to allow carbohydrate intakes to achieve performance.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4213385/#CR8

depends on the kind of performance. for endurance, keto seems to work better. (and I mean ultra endurance)
This discussion has been closed.