WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2016

Options

Replies

• MissDi321
    MissDi321 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ((((((((HUGS)))))))) Melanie---You are in my thoughts. I am sorry that you and your daughter and family are going thru such tragedy. I am glad that none of the grand children nor your daughter or son in law were lost. YAY for pictures being saved.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    MelanieKeeping you and your family in my thoughts. NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Melanie - Sending you all the best wishes I can - and to your daughter at this difficult time. <3<3<3

Heather UK
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options

This weekend DH is taking me to a resort for my birthday. I have to figure out what I want to do (besides swimming and hiking). There's a spa, and I considered a massage and then realized that I'd rather be moving! DH wants to shoot at clay objects. I think I'll find something else to do while he does that. ;)

KarenE

Nice, your hubby is well-trained. Happy Birthday weekend!! ??Homestead??

Karen in Virginia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Glad he see u Meg,Prayers for Melanie and family.
    went to a new ortho dr who is gonna fix my tear.Having surgery the 31 .It sucks having 2 surgeries in 2 months on the same knee,But it has to be done,If I want to walk.
    If you can please,keep me in your prayers next wed.
    hugs to all
    jane
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Melanie, so glad you and your daughter are safe, and thanks for checking in when you've got so much to take care of. I'm glad you saved your photos! They're one of the few things that can't be replaced.

Heather, you've got some gorgeous grandchildren!

Miriam, Your daughters are lovely. Aside from the scowl (which I know well!) They look so much alike. I love the freckles across the little one's nose.

Karen in Virginia, Yes to both your questions--good calls. I've never been to the Homestead before, but I hear it's lovely.

Jane, yes, walking is definitely a good thing! So sorry you have to have 2 surgeries to fix your knee.

Di, I like high protein and high protein/fat snacks. I really like greek yogurt, and it's got good staying power. I eat plain yogurt--my preference, but there are lots of yummy flavors out there. I also eat almonds--an ounce for a snack, and I drink water with both. I love fruit, but it usually isn't that helpful as a solo snack. Cut up peaches are delicious in the yogurt. For lunch I sometimes make a white bean salad with onions, tomatoes, and a generous bit of fresh parsley or cilantro.

I added 30 minutes of elliptical to my activity today. And I'll probably have to add more activity to stay within my calories. :|

KarenE
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options

Ladies, the program Svalbard - Life on the Edge is on BBC Earth, not your standard vanilla BBC channel. If you can't find it, never mind. I'll supply you with glimpses of life on the edge here in the thread. I promise. :smiley:

/Penny on the edge[/quote]

I checked BBC Earth for the programs this coming up Monday. Here in Oklahoma City they show them early in the morning but I did not see one that said anything about Svalbard, they seemed to be reruns of older programs. I'll keep checking tho. We look for ward to you sharing you "life on the edge" with us :)

Janet OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Meg and Melanie, thanks for checking in. I can't imagine being pregnant with all of that going on. How is she keeping well and making sure her immune system is keeping the baby healthy. She, and you have your hands full.

Miriam, after reading what every one was saying about your door I had to go back and check. You do have an old house! Those fixtures are classic. The look on your daughters faces are classic, not only because of their age but the situation of going back to school. Gotta love them. My daughter had been in the habit of posting a 'first day of school' picture. She didn't this year and I have really go on her. LOL. So she put a picture of my oldest DGD when she got home from show choir practice. She is a sophomore in high school and really busy and tired. All of us females in our family have some kind of auto immune disease. Her Mom had Chronic fatigue and I hope Trinity doesn't get it. Her high school years were awful.

Well I got my batteries in my bike and rode it today. Since it has been so long since I have done any kind of exercise, I put it on one of the easiest resistance and rode it for 10 minutes. I think the MPH was 1. So it wasn't any kind of cardio but it was a start and I hope I can keep my goal of doing it daily. I will also get to walking at the mall with Charlie. Now I won't walk with him since that is one of the most unpleasant things to ever do. I don't think that guy could ever have a walking partner unless they were deaf. And with his Parkinson's his gait is painfully slow. I don't know why the neurologist thinks he hasn't had any change. Of course he hasn't seen him after all the abuse his physical body has taken this year.

Joyce, Indiana
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Okay, yes, I have a gorgeous old fixer upper. Here are some features of the front door. In the last photo there is a weird image of the neighbor's house in the window, and stairs showing above it. qalz646hvuzy.jpg
    i25eytxqykc7.jpg
    0nfrfs5p82rt.jpg
    sycckhrhsky6.jpg
    kcj8rra6iehz.jpg
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hey girls, I am trying to be good and also do my food diary. I am trying to change the amount of of carbs in my goal. What they suggest for me isn't what is on my diabetic diet.
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Meg in Omaha, one of my favorite blues musicians is playing in Papillion on Friday at the Stave. Kevin Burt. A voice like BB King and is the sweetest man too. When I saw his post on FB I thought of you immediately! Don't know if you like Blues music, but if you do, this will be a good show!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Miriam ~ Love your pics! You have some very unique architectural features. Our house is filled with antiques but a lot of these have a Chinese influence many people would not appreciate. I have lived with them for so many years that they mean a lot to me. We have Sevres lamps, Steuben lamps, and Wedgewood lamps that I treasure. Wood block Chinese Geisha prints, forgotten stitch art, and a framed Emperor's robe. It all somehow works. That's what happens when you have lived all your adult life with avid antique collectors.

Carol
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Melanie- prayers to you and your family! I am so glad that everyone is OK. ((((Hugs))))

Meg- well hello there! Glad you are here!

KarenE- Happy Birthday this weekend! It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time.

Miriam - Great pictures! I love the older fixtures!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • rosetigger
    rosetigger Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Everyone!
    I hope everyone is making it thru this Hump day successfully. I have Friday off so it’s one day closer to the weekend for me.
    Hello all the newbies. I am one myself. Learning about everyone and reading lots of posts daily.
    @cityjaneLondon beautiful children. I miss the little ones in my life.
    Gorgeous view. So cute with the bunny. My daughter had a puppy stuffy. Funny story about how we got it. We were in Michael’s and we were looking at beads. There was the stuffed puppy. My daughter was 3 at the time. She really liked the puppy. I kept walking around the store with her and she was saying “Mommy he’s crying” I said who is crying. She said the puppy. I said “how do you know. “She said “I can hear it can’t you?” I thought that I just had to get this puppy. She carried it around inseparable for 3 years after that. She would even take it to preschool with her. She is 12 now and still has that puppy. She still loves stuffies and sleeps with them every night.
    Miriam – Love the picture. LOL I’m in BC and we don’t start school here until Sept 6th. My daughter who is 12 is not looking forward to going back but really wants to make new friends.
    KarenE – I find fruit just makes me hungrier. I have an apple & cheese for a morning snack. I’m then starving until lunch.
    CJ – Beautiful yard. I bet you enjoy coming home to that daily.
    I went to Costco for my walk today. It’s too hot outside to walk and then come back to work all sweaty. I will do my second walk when it cools down with the dogs. I found a cute hoody for my youngest daughter there. I know she’ll love it when I surprise her with it later.

Di - BC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jane - Wishing you all the best for your knee op. You have really been through it. <3

Someone asked about the Spinach and Feta Pie . I love the dill, but have made it without. I've never had a problem with it being dry. I usually check it after 30 mins and then give it another 2 or 3.

Mary - My thighs are getting quite firm, but I think all the cycling also contributes to that. I do it on a high resistance. I'm trying to strengthen my dodgy knee. My hip wasn't quite so painful today when I started my swings. I feel as if I am at the limit of my weight at the moment. :)

The flat scenery behind my DGD is the Weald of Sussex, where I lived from 9yrs - 18yrs. My father's family all lived and still live there. It is an area of great folklore and the chalk hills, called the South Downs, contain many very ancient remains of settlements. Flints were mined there in great quantities for tools in Neolithic times. DGD is standing on the Devil's D....ke., which has folkloric stories attached to it. When I passed my driving test as a teenager I used to drive there with my boyfriend for a bit of open air .......?!?!
    My father's mother wrote a book of children's stories about the area called THE THREE IMPS AND THE WISE OWL. I have it upstairs in my room.
    It seems amazing that my London born son has chosen to live there now. As we drive there through the Sussex countryside I am taken right back to my teenage years.

Love Heather in the south of the UK
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Hey girls, I am trying to be good and also do my food diary. I am trying to change the amount of of carbs in my goal. What they suggest for me isn't what is on my diabetic diet.

Joyce, I think what you are looking for is under "Goals" so go to your home page, second line of options, and see "goals".
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

JJ, welcome. And how exciting to have a wedding. You must share all with us. That’s the rule!!!

Joyce, I agree that this should be an eye opener to Charlie to take care of himself. I just want you well, my friend.

CJ, pointing-and-laughing.gif That is so funny that you tried to moon the airport. Some of those TSA people have no sense of humor or at least leave it at home.

Marcelyn, do you take any kind of pain relievers for your shoulder pain? I hope it gets better.

Barbie, so glad Jake’s doctor visit had good results. And how wonderful about his recovery from the spine surgery. Beautiful picture!!

Sue, I hope it was a wonderful Anniversary. You must have a “keeper” too?

Rori, so happy you were able to get relief from the chiropractor. Isn’t it wonderful to get rid of a pain?

Joyce, I am thrilled at the good things you have already noticed after the stent. Modern medicine is truly wonderful at some things. I may have already told you ladies, but a couple of years ago they were able to put a stent into a closed artery in DH’s heart that had been bypassed 20 years earlier. The bypass has since closed up and they couldn’t stent it for some reason but reopened the original. ROFL about your collagen. BTW, have I told you lately that I love you? (((((Hugs))))) All of you lovely ladies.

Re, how dare you say that to Pip??? Good grief, woman, that is a bit much! crying.gif

Jade, welcome. We’d love it if you joined in every day. Tell us all about yourself and what’s going on. That seems to help us stay accountable. This is a wonderful place for support. Make a commitment to yourself and you can do this.

KarenE, Happy Birthday, whatever actual day it is. I hope you have a wonderful time at the resort!!!

Miriam, you are such a mean mother making that poor child keep up with all that stuff all day at school. And since when can’t sisters argue with each other??? OMG I have to hand it to you to be up for all that at your age. Of course I don’t even remember how I felt at your age since I’m nearing 70. lolold-lady-driving-smiley-emoticon.gif

Jessica, welcome. You will be surprised when you get a scale. Do come here often as I’ve learned all kinds of interesting things.

Meg, good to hear from you. Glad Benny is doing well and really feel for you on all those meds for him. (((Hugs)))

Daryl, welcome. Do come often and join right in.

Mary, your train trip sounds like a real adventure. I can’t wait to hear all about it.

Heather, love, love, love the pics of the grands. Bea and her brother’s eyes are so beautiful. The countryside in the other picture is breathtaking. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Jane, prayers going out your way. So sorry about the second surgery but like you say, you have to get it fixed. Hopefully this one will be a breeze. ((((Hugs))))

Miriam, that house has such beautiful features. What fun to fix it up even if it’s a slow process.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It was a beautiful day today. I got my car back and they only charged $250. I’ve had the car for 3 years and think this is the first time I’ve used the warranty. Glad I had it. Didn’t do much today other than go out to get the car. Have line dance tomorrow so I’ll get my butt movin’ again. I hope all of you are staying on track and moving more than I am.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Carol, Victorians were really in to Oriental artwork and other items. It was the first time in history that travel for fun was possible, and to have a collection of Oriental treasures was a way to show your travel adventures. My grandmother was an appraiser and dealer of antiques and I have a house full of Oriental stuff too. And I know what you mean about finding a market for it. Now it is not appreciated. I have an Imari bowl- like the ones in Frank Lloyd Wright's house in Oak Park Illinois. I have a Qin era palace platter with the traditional phoenix and dragon fighting. I have a lovely ink drawing, colored with water color, of an old Chinese man and a deer that is about a foot wide and three high. And...