September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 4 miles. Weather was beautiful! Had to cut it short because I hit snooze too many times.
    9/2 - Unplanned rest day. Apparently yesterday's snoozing was due to impending illness. First virus of the new school year.

Upcoming Races:
    Capital Pursuit 10 Mile - 9/18
    Mercy Live Up Loop 5 Mile - 10/15
    IMT Des Moines HM - 10/16
    Hillbilly Hike HM - 11/5
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    @karlundy Aw nuts! Hope you feel better soon.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Thursday nights are my late nights (bowling), so it looks like I'm going to have to make Fridays my rest days. There's no way I can wake up early after getting to bed so late. No big deal, just need to shuffle my schedule around. They've also got me working more days at a different office location, but my gym is at the old building. This means I may have to acquire a second gym membership in the new building. Or, I could explore the option of joining a gym close to home. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do, but I need to decide soon because WINTER IS COMING.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'm going to take the return of @WhatMeRunning and @7lenny7 as a good sign that I'll be cleared for running soon.

Ok. Maybe the third runner to return this month is...... @ceciliaslater. It's not me. :'( GO CECILIA!

Funny this morning I stopped in the restroom in the surgeons building and threw away the worn UA socks i was using as crutch covers. Naw, I'll have to find new socks now and good luck with that, since dd steals all of my socks. Think I'll pick up some duct tape and make them gaudy-purdy.

Another steroid pack, crutches for another 3 months (unless im in jeopardy of losing my job), at home PT, rein in the swimming to 3 days a weeks- that's okay, I'll just swim longer ;)

I'm okay. I not down- yet... Today was actually one of those bad days where you need to be seen by the doc/docs assistant (who is great btw- thanks Lane)..

Carry on runners. I have taco casa (if you don't know what that is, I'm sorry). Edit- I'm the one that's sorry for eating it. Emergency stop!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    For you USA folks, any plans for the holiday weekend?
    My club Macon Tracks) is hosting the 40th Annual Macon Labor Day Road Race on Monday, and I'm running the 10K course (we also have a 5K course). Hoping to get it under 1:05.

Of course, I'll also have my regular long-run Saturday, and am hoping to endure about 11 miles. :wink:
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Off the mark today with 8.5k. Started out OK but really struggled from about half way through, and had to force myself to keep going but completed what I set out to do - and still a reasonable overall pace although the last 3K were pretty slow, (but still so much faster than I could do a few weeks ago!). Was very windy out today, but at least had cloud cover so wasn't too hot. So happy with how much I've progressed. Have a weird feel of being quite satisfied that I'm disappointed with a run like today which I couldn't have even begun to contemplate a month ago!

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    #HermineDidStopMe

It was absolutely pouring this morning when I was to run. It actually woke me up before the alarm, because it was so bad and windy. So, unlike @9voice9 - the storm did not me. :cry:
    Lots of biking ride planned this weekend, but not sure sure anymore.
    I do have strength training this afternoon - but history tells me that when there is a ton of rain like today, the wimps that go there all cancel. Then my trainer will ask me "are you sure you want to come? You are my only appointment!" If that ends up getting cancelled I may be able to run this afternoon.

9/1 - 4.8 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • Elise4270
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    9/1 - 4 miles. Weather was beautiful! Had to cut it short because I hit snooze too many times.
    9/2 - Unplanned rest day. Apparently yesterday's snoozing was due to impending illness. First virus of the new school year.

Upcoming Races:
    Hillbilly Hike HM - 11/5

My allergies are horrible. But I'm not not running because of it. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @lporter229 I've not tried chuys yet. I love tex-mex!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Sorry to hear that you're stuck on crutches for another three months. Is it just not healing up as quickly as they expected or are you having other complications?

Had you already registered for your fall races? I have held off on registering for the Jenks Half, so if you're registered (and they will allow a transfer--can't find any info online), I could buy that registration off of you. Or maybe your son and/or DH will be running?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »

Upcoming Races:
    Hillbilly Hike HM - 11/5

@karllundy sorry that you are sick. Feel better soon.

Do you live in/around Des Moines? I'm from Pella originally and lived in Iowa City a number of years as well. Sounds like you've got a lot of running coming up!

@cljoe7 I teach grad students in speech and hearing science. I'm trying to work the graphing into their lab assignments and research methods classes, but I hate excel graphs with a passion so I'm trying to find other options. :)

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    So I have a shot to Daniels back-to-back workouts these weeks.

Wednesday - 1000 m intervals, felt great
    Thursday - Tempo mile repeats, felt awesome
    Today - easy run, hardest run in the week

He was right about fatigue setting in 72 hours after. My calves are killing me. At least I get 2 easy runs in a row until Sunday.

Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

September 1 - 12.8km - Tempo&Reps/4:20, 3:30
    September 2 - 7.7 km - Easy/6:00

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    25/09: Black Sea 10k
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • Elise4270
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Sorry to hear that you're stuck on crutches for another three months. Is it just not healing up as quickly as they expected or are you having other complications?

Had you already registered for your fall races? I have held off on registering for the Jenks Half, so if you're registered (and they will allow a transfer--can't find any info online), I could buy that registration off of you. Or maybe your son and/or DH will be running?

Dh and I are registered. I hadn't registered my son yet, looks like he'll be off to the army by then *crosses fingers*, *holds breath*.

I'm not sure if dh will train if I'm not running. I'm trying to keep him focused... He loves to get out and travel. I want the shirt. And if you and Chris make it, I'd love to say "hi" and have some post race pizza. I'm gonna say I'm gonna make it to Jenks, but may not (or may) run it. *Fingers crossed for a miracle*

There's a chance I'll be able to give up the crutches sooner... Unless that's just something they say :#

I had 3 accessory branches off of the sciatic nerve cut. One apparently went to the gluteal max. So that's a little slow on taking over duties of the released piriformis. I don't know exactly where the other 2 went, I have suspicions though. My sciatic nerve was damaged, so that's slow to heal and easily aggravated.

Yes, I'm slower than "normal". But I don't think I started "normal". But within "normal". My head also floats when I swim, so I'm an air head- In case anyone wanted more material. :wink:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Dang it. I don't think speed work is happening today. I think I will have to swap it for Sunday's easy cruisin' run. Now I will have to do speed work on Sunday prior to my hike. Dang it. Stupid wine.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @karllundy sorry that you are sick. Feel better soon.

Do you live in/around Des Moines? I'm from Pella originally and lived in Iowa City a number of years as well. Sounds like you've got a lot of running coming up!
    I do on both counts! I grew up in Ames and went to college in Indianola.