Diet Soda and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• alexreyn13
    alexreyn13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    lol I love starting threads that end up forming a massive conversation. Anyway thanks to everyone that posted, just needed some help separating fact from fiction.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I think its different for EVERYONE. Personally , I did not manage to lose weight when I cut out diet sodas because I felt deprived and also because it helps my sweet tooth. I began drinking diet soda again and lost weight and am still maintaining while drinking 4 litres of diet soda a day. Just because it works for me , doesnt mean it will work for others. Everyone's mind is different. For some people , diet soda makes them crave something sweet and for me it suppresses my appetite. The only thing that is the same for everyone is CI<CO when it comes to losing weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    steph7007 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just worry about overall kidney health. I'm a person with one kidney and I remember my doctor telling me if I were to drink a soda make it a real one. Seriously if you are working so hard to look good on the outside..... learn what can damage your insides. Diet soda is not good for you one bit. Yeah it has no calories, however, do you find that weird at all based on the colour and taste of your drink? Chemicals are rank......

Why would the color and taste make it weird?

Why would you drink something that got its colour from chemicals?

What doesn't get its color from chemicals?

Well, color is weird anyway, as it has to do with our eyes and so on, but setting all that aside...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Life's too short not to have fun. Drink and be merry!! Even if it's diet soda or beer or hot dogs or cheesecake or CheesePuffs or Twinkies.

Have you tried Hot 'n Honey Cheez Doodles? Bangin.

Interested!! is that a Canadian thing? I've never seen Doodles, and I know snacks!

I'm in the US (CT). I only ever find them at Big Lots and Dollar Tree.

I'm checking them out, let you know. Big Lots is walking distance, burn some calories B)

I feel so much pressure right now. If you don't like them, that's pretty much it for me.

273ce8c99f971a4414b0212a17ca59598b19beef767f025ff24a41d57023ea89.jpg
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the scientific evidence behind it but I've known tons of people losing 100+ lbs drinking diet sodas every day. I know it can cause you to gain weight around the middle when you gain and drink those, but if it triggered insulin, why do they tell diabetics that are newly diagnosed to switch to diet. I say, drink them in moderation. When you crave the real thing, have a diet version. It's about balance, not perfection right! :)

I'm one. I would like to quit someday but I've had a few bottles/cans of DMD (Diet Mountain Dew) pretty much everyday while losing 130lbs.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Aaron _k123

Thank you for your opinion but are you a doctor? Um, no is my guess. Or do you specialize in kidney health? Um no is my guess. Or do you read stuff on the Web and take it as gospel? Yes, would be my guess.

My kidney health is fantastic. Just sayin...maybe cause I drink water... lol.... I don't know...

Have you tested your kidneys? Probably not...

What I wrote was for people to read and think about. But thank you for your response.

Well, he's not an md but he has a pH.d

PH.D in what? Lol.... this is so funny. Lol.. do what you want... but thank you again for your opinion

Molecular biology and biochemistry so yeah he's an expert. What's your training?

Yeah, but does he have a Youtube channel?

No :-(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can guarantee that a lot more research has gone in to aspartame than in to water as water deprivation and/or hyperhydration would be unethical.

For the same reason you won't find many oxygen deprivation studies or blood transfusion studies.

It's obvious that water, oxygen and blood supply are essential to life.

Aspartame is a funny bitty chemical with some interesting properties. Since very little happens when we consume it, study away.

There is no aspartame/insulin relationship.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Aaron _k123

Thank you for your opinion but are you a doctor? Um, no is my guess. Or do you specialize in kidney health? Um no is my guess. Or do you read stuff on the Web and take it as gospel? Yes, would be my guess.

My kidney health is fantastic. Just sayin...maybe cause I drink water... lol.... I don't know...

What I wrote was for people to read and think about. But thank you for your response.

PH.D in what? Lol.... this is so funny. Lol.. do what you want... but thank you again for your opinion

Molecular biology and biochemistry so yeah he's an expert. What's your training?

That wasn't a requirement for your dissertation
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Life's too short not to have fun. Drink and be merry!! Even if it's diet soda or beer or hot dogs or cheesecake or CheesePuffs or Twinkies.

Have you tried Hot 'n Honey Cheez Doodles? Bangin.

Interested!! is that a Canadian thing? I've never seen Doodles, and I know snacks!

I'm in the US (CT). I only ever find them at Big Lots and Dollar Tree.

I'm checking them out, let you know. Big Lots is walking distance, burn some calories B)

I feel so much pressure right now. If you don't like them, that's pretty much it for me.

273ce8c99f971a4414b0212a17ca59598b19beef767f025ff24a41d57023ea89.jpg

LOL I didn't mean to put you on the spot!! honest!! Maybe I will drive instead, if that makes you feel better. :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

What claim?

This claim:
    The are medical facts that contradict diet soda.

The one you keep repeating without any sort of support even though its a pretty extrodinary claim that a food additive on the market for 50 years has "medical facts" that "contradict it" (I assume you mean medical evidence of harm).

Could you provide some with cited sources? You keep saying this but I am not aware of any medical evidence of toxicity or kidney damage or health issues related to consumption of aspartame. I am aware of a lot of misinformation on the internet though so if you end up posting a youtube video from Mercola.com I'm going to have to point out that might not be the most reliable source.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Aaron _k123

That wasn't a requirement for your dissertation

No...but my dissertation is available online if you are ready for that thrilling gripping read. 159 pages of pure awesome, will leave you gripping your seat waiting to find out what happens next.

I actually would read this... Just saying.