Why didn't Keto work for me?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry for your frustration. i've been in those shoes and had a hell of a time figuring it out.

i am insulin resistant. i had a fasting glucose test and was normal. i had a 2-hour glucose tolerance test and was high-normal, but still normal. i was labelled "not diabetic". then i went to my doctor and asked for a 2-hour gtt PLUS an HbA1C which indicates how high your blood sugar has been, on average, for the past couple months. well, i was shocked. i was 0.1 short of full-blown diabetes, but the other test didn't catch it. i highly recommend going to your doctor and getting your fasting INSULIN, fasting blood sugar, glucose tolerance test, and glycosylated hemoglobin (the HbA1C test i already mentioned). this will tell you what your blood sugar has been up to when you weren't looking ;)

also, test for thyroid (full panel, NOT just the TSH many doctors test for). this will give you an idea if your thyroid is making your metabolism sluggish (which would explain part of the "calories out" in your equation).

finally, check sex hormones. you're looking for PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome. this can cause an imbalance in hormones that interrupts your menstrual cycles and slows your calorie burn, and other unpleasant things.

finally, if you have a DIGITAL kitchen scale, measure in grams rather than ounces. it is more accurate. weigh and measure everything, every day, and for the time being do not eat back your earned calories. MFP for me GREATLY overestimated the calories i was burning for any of my activities.

bonus: if you can get a fitbit or something else that tracks calories burned, you can measure THAT number against what MFP says you've eaten. i have a charge HR and love it. it's pretty accurate on my heart rate and step count, and certainly seems accurate on the calorie burn, in terms of identifying whether i'm in a deficit.

good luck :)
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    VegetaSKJ wrote: »
    mykaylis wrote: »
    i'm sorry for your frustration. i've been in those shoes and had a hell of a time figuring it out.

i am insulin resistant. i had a fasting glucose test and was normal. i had a 2-hour glucose tolerance test and was high-normal, but still normal. i was labelled "not diabetic". then i went to my doctor and asked for a 2-hour gtt PLUS an HbA1C which indicates how high your blood sugar has been, on average, for the past couple months. well, i was shocked. i was 0.1 short of full-blown diabetes, but the other test didn't catch it. i highly recommend going to your doctor and getting your fasting INSULIN, fasting blood sugar, glucose tolerance test, and glycosylated hemoglobin (the HbA1C test i already mentioned). this will tell you what your blood sugar has been up to when you weren't looking ;)

also, test for thyroid (full panel, NOT just the TSH many doctors test for). this will give you an idea if your thyroid is making your metabolism sluggish (which would explain part of the "calories out" in your equation).

finally, check sex hormones. you're looking for PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome. this can cause an imbalance in hormones that interrupts your menstrual cycles and slows your calorie burn, and other unpleasant things.
    How would any of this have prevented weight loss?

Untreated hypothyroidism and untreated PCOS reduce the "calories out" part of the CICO equation, making it so that you don't necessarily lose weight when you'd expect to (or lose less than you'd expect based on data for a "normal" person).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    How much weight did you have to lose? What are your stats? What answers are you looking for then if you don't want to hear a thing about calorie deficit?

I have about 80 to lose atleast. I'm 5'2" 266 lbs. The reason I don't want to hear about a calorie deficit is bc I know that part and did eat at a calorie deficit, lost four pounds the first week and didn't lose anything else over two months.

If you didn't lose anything in two months, you weren't eating at a deficit. Sorry.

So 1370 isn't a deficit!?!?!? If not then I give up and will remain at my weight. I will not starve myself.

Sweetbug, I encourage you to take a step back and really analyze this. That you did were not losing weight is clear evidence that you were not eating at a calorie deficit. Had you been doing so you would have lost weight.

1. Did you weigh all solids and measure all liquids and log every single thing you ate every single day?
    2. Did you have any cheat days, or days where you went over, that you did not log your food?
    3. Did you ensure you were using accurate food entries?
    4. Where did you get those exercise burns from? I can assure you you are not burning 300-500 calories for weight lifting. In fact, weight lifting is part of your activity level and should be counted as zero. Only steady state cardio calories are counted for exercise.

Those are just some things to think about.

I was told by my trainer to have two carb refeed days a month. Did that really mess me up that badly?

Did you log them?

No I didn't log them, my trainer told me I didn't need to...it was high carb day...no brainer

Do you still have this trainer? If so, tell him or her you just want to focus on weight lifting during your time together.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am doing Keto and I was wondering how many carbs did you eat everyday and protein in grams?

I had 5% carbs and 25% protein.

Sounds good, as long as your fats are high! You should really stay on it for at least a year. It took you a long time to gain that weight so it will take a long time to take it off. ~Motivation is what gets you started & habit is what keeps you going.~ If you have another stall just give yourself two full days of protein & eat every two hours. That will just start you off.....but you really should maintain between 50-80 grams of carbs daily after two months. Your body will find balance. Best wishes.