Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Replies

• DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    The manufactured aspartame is not the same as the natural one in our body. I saw an experiment between aspartame and stevia, and while The aspartame altered the gut bacteria among other things, the stevia made no changes at all. I will stick with the natural stevia.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    jondspen wrote: »
    I know for a fact that aspartame is bad. I was drinking diet cokes/pepsi (~ 1 ltr a day or so) and as soon as I had some, not long after would get aching in back of my knees and down in my calves. Stopped the diet sodas...and it went away completely after a couple weeks. Started back after a month or two off it, and that day, maybe an hour later, started getting legs aches again.

You can say what you want about the science...but obviously there are some people that have adverse reactions to it (1). And FYI....there are plenty of drugs approved by the FDA with sound research behind them that were later found to be bad for humans (2).

(1) Ciappuccini R, et al. Aspartame-induced fibromyalgia, an unusual but curable cause of chronic pain. Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology 2010;28(63):S131-133

(2) http://prescriptiondrugs.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=005528
    That's like me saying grass is bad.
    It's bad for me because I break out in hives if I roll in it. So it must be bad for everyone.

Uh no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited September 2016
    I've also read up alot on Aspartame and from what I understand you would have to drink on average eight 2 liters of any diet soda a day for it to affect your health in any way. And who drinks eight 2 liters a day? I've been drinking diet drinks for the last ten years just to cut down on my sugar intake. I have maybe 1 355ml can every other day and nobody's changing my mind. I love talking to people who smoke a pack of cigarettes a day but tell me they don't drink diet pepsi or coke because their worried about aspartame. Anything you eat or drink too much of I'm sure isn't good for you. Everything in moderation.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    My husband is allergic to cats.
    Gets weepy eyes, sneezing, coughing, rash.

Above is a fact.

Cats should be banned for everyone - Not a fact.

<<< Chip has a sad...
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    I know for a fact that aspartame is bad. I was drinking diet cokes/pepsi (~ 1 ltr a day or so) and as soon as I had some, not long after would get aching in back of my knees and down in my calves. Stopped the diet sodas...and it went away completely after a couple weeks. Started back after a month or two off it, and that day, maybe an hour later, started getting legs aches again.

You can say what you want about the science...but obviously there are some people that have adverse reactions to it (1). And FYI....there are plenty of drugs approved by the FDA with sound research behind them that were later found to be bad for humans (2).

(1) Ciappuccini R, et al. Aspartame-induced fibromyalgia, an unusual but curable cause of chronic pain. Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology 2010;28(63):S131-133

Some Charcoal brickets can leave me in near black out adominal pain, Diarrhea, vomiting, hands itching and burning, all while pouring sweat. But everyone else is fine. Clearly they should be banned!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Rottified wrote: »

Some Charcoal brickets can leave me in near black out adominal pain, Diarrhea, vomiting, hands itching and burning, all while pouring sweat. But everyone else is fine. Clearly they should be banned!

Veggies, fruits and fiber, nuts, seeds, legumes, spices, lactose, whole wheat and lots of stuff do nasty nasty things to my gi system. Must ban those too
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That some people have adverse reactions doesn't mean something is unhealthy for humans.

For example, penicillin got me sent to the hospital. Yet for many people (far more), it keeps them out.

My sister has stomach pain associated with avocados and melon (foods she used to love). Yet I eat them all the time, no bad reactions, and same with many.

I have no issues with dairy; many do. So on.

I'm currently allergic to four different types of antibiotics. That perfectly explains why antibiotics are toxic and should be banned for everyone.

I'm also allergic to four different types of grass so that's another. Grass is evil!! Good thing I live where there's not much of it.
  • singingflutelady
    SueInAz wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That some people have adverse reactions doesn't mean something is unhealthy for humans.

For example, penicillin got me sent to the hospital. Yet for many people (far more), it keeps them out.

My sister has stomach pain associated with avocados and melon (foods she used to love). Yet I eat them all the time, no bad reactions, and same with many.

I have no issues with dairy; many do. So on.

I'm currently allergic to four different types of antibiotics. That perfectly explains why antibiotics are toxic and should be banned for everyone.

I'm also allergic to four different types of grass so that's another. Grass is evil!! Good thing I live where there's not much of it.

Ampicillin and sulfa for me
  • Owlie45

Veggies, fruits and fiber, nuts, seeds, legumes, spices, lactose, whole wheat and lots of stuff do nasty nasty things to my gi system. Must ban those too

Ban all the foods!
  • singingflutelady

Ban all the foods!

Oh red meat and pork and garlic too!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Orange juice gives me heartburn. Make sure to steer well clear of that stuff!
  • Owlie45

Ban all the foods!

Oh no! Not garlic too. It's a shame I loved garlic. :(
  • singingflutelady

Ban all the foods!

Oh no! Not garlic too. It's a shame I loved garlic. :(

I love garlic but my Crohn's doesn't lol.

I guess it's the ice diet for everyone
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    DiIDE wrote: »
    The manufactured aspartame is not the same as the natural one in our body. I saw an experiment between aspartame and stevia, and while The aspartame altered the gut bacteria among other things, the stevia made no changes at all. I will stick with the natural stevia.

Natural aspartame in our body? Not sure what you mean by that, I don't think aspartame occurs naturally in our bodies.

Do you have a link to the study you mentioned between stevia and aspartame?
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    No I don't have a link as it was done on a UK tv special which I watched a few months ago in Australia.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    No I don't have a link as it was done on a UK tv special which I watched a few months ago in Australia.

The only one that I could find was a mouse study that showed the same effects for both aspartame and stevia. I wish you had a link to the one you're thinking of. It's really hard to know what to think of it without seeing more details.
  • Aaron_K123

In what way did it alter intestinal flora? What was the readout?
  • Aaron_K123
    This is the closest thing I found to studies of the affect of stevia on bacteria present within our microbiome:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/lam.12187/abstract;jsessionid=C23016695B301561774F8455774EF750.f02t04

Claimed to find an inhibitory affect for stevia on Lactobacillus reuteri.

I don't think that is a reason to avoid stevia by the way, just all I could find in the literature when I looked.