September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @dianefogel1 One good thing about the gravel paths with their un-even surface is that it improves your fine motor skills/balance/ankle strength. I enjoy running on the un-even bush/dirt trails for this added challenge.

Rest day yesterday. Quads and calf's were tired/tight after the Sand hills in the Sunday 10k race. Foam Roller and a nice leg stretching walk was all I did yesterday after work.

I run on trails 2 days a week and it really helps with balance issues and also recovering from uneven footing. It's slower though, for me anyway.

Adding more distance to my weekday runs this week. I shouldn't have any problem being ready for the 10K in Nov but I sure would like to go a little bit faster.

09/01 – Unplanned Rest Day but swam 45 minutes this afternoon (too hot here to run)
    09/02 – 3 miles – Pretty slow pace but faster than last run and AVG HR only 139
    09/03 – 1.3 miles around basketball court at gym + 90 min strength training
    09/04 – 4 miles, middle two faster, AVG HR 148
    09/05 – Party Day
    09/06 – 3.26 miles – AVG HR 149……….one hill
    09/07 – 90 minutes of strength training
    09/08 – Rest day
    09/09 – 3.3 miles – AVG HR 146, HIGH HR 160 during hill run
    09/10 – 1.3 miles after strength training
    09/11 – 4.16 mile run – Ran middle 2 miles at tempo – AVG HR 147
    09/12 – 95 min strength training
    09/13 – 3.52 mile recovery run – AVG HR 142 – two hills

exercise.png

• mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @07KatieP13

Sure hope you find a pair that you like running in. And get well soon!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    A few more miles done this morning :)
    exercise.png
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Morning, all! It was cool and dry this morning—about 8 C (50-ish F?). What a difference that makes after running through a hot summer. I live in a rainy land, so I hope this cooler, dry weather continues until the end of October for my half.

Sep 1 - 2.98 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 2 - 2.1 miles (short intervals)
    Sep 3 - 2.13 miles (recovery)
    Sep 4 - 11.67 miles (long)
    Sep 5 - rest
    Sep 6 - 3.39 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 7 - 2.65 miles (long intervals)
    Sep 8 - 6 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 9 - 2.84 miles (short intervals)
    Sep 10 - 4.01 miles (recovery)
    Sep 11 - 9.94 miles (w/u, alternating miles by pace goal/heart rate, last mile fast finish)
    Sep 12 - rest
    Sep 13 - 5 miles (2 middle miles @ tempo pace)

Total: 52.71 / 100 miles
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    With all the talks about dehydration, I have question on the topic:
    How do we determine if we need electrolytes with our water for running? I was under the impression that it wouldn't be an issue for, say 5k ~ 10k distances. And I assumed, I will be covered for longer distances if my gel has potassium and sodium in it. I do sweat a lot, maybe not as much as @Ohhim or @5512bf but one time I checked, I lost about 2 lbs weight after an hour of running. I would sometimes have leg cramps at night, I wonder if it has anything to do with it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    How do we determine if we need electrolytes with our water for running? I was under the impression that it wouldn't be an issue for, say 5k ~ 10k distances. And I assumed, I will be covered for longer distances if my gel has potassium and sodium in it. I do sweat a lot, maybe not as much as @Ohhim or @5512bf but one time I checked, I lost about 2 lbs weight after an hour of running. I would sometimes have leg cramps at night, I wonder if it has anything to do with it.

I'd think so. If I've run, even in the cold, I make a point to add some electrolytes. I like the NUUN, some don't. In the summer i keep single serving potato chips in the trunk.

I don't think I sweat very much. I'm prone to migraines, so I don't chance it.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @mom3over40 I started taking magnesium citrate 2x a day for night foot and leg cramps and I'm pretty sure it has made all the difference. I started out taking it in the evening and then added it to my morning routine to have a little more (you can have digestive troubles if you take too high a dose at one time).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @mom3over40 I started taking magnesium citrate 2x a day for night foot and leg cramps and I'm pretty sure it has made all the difference. I started out taking it in the evening and then added it to my morning routine to have a little more (you can have digestive troubles if you take too high a dose at one time).

Yipes! Mag citrate will run right through you! You're brave! Haha! I only made that mistake once!

But I have IBS, everything makes me go...
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Ok sooooo there's already 24 pages, almost 700 posts, and there's just no way I'm going to be able to start at the beginning.

Jumping back in. I registered for the Colfax half again and that's on May 21. Eight entire months to train. Starting with a 20 week training plan, taking a couple of weeks off, then going at it again with a 14 week plan, then the half. Not doing a mileage goal for this month, just making sure I get back into the swing of things and keep the potential for injury as low as possible. Each morning when I take Apollo for his walk, I think to myself what perfect weather it is for a run, but I don't because I haven't planned for it and I don't have enough time. I frustrate myself more than anyone else could!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/1 - 7 miles
    9/2 - 6 miles
    9/3 - rest day - cross country meet but I noticed I put in about 3.5 miles running all over the course ha ha
    9/4 - 5 awful miles
    9/5 - 5 not as awful miles
    9/6 - 6 still kinda crappy feeling miles
    9/7 - rest day travel to Florida
    9/8 - 13 hours of hospital chair sitting
    9/9 - 7 miles of Oh My Goodness I needed that after ^^ that day LOL
    9/10 - 4 miles my Garmin wasn't charged but I know this route is just over 4 miles
    9/11 - travel day home from Florida
    9/12 - too freaking tired to get out of bed day :smile:
    9/13 - 7 miles

47 out of 115 miles

exercise.png

@stoshew71 ha ha I'm with you
    @mbaker566 nice She Power shirts! How are you doing?
    @adrianchr92 LOVE the shorts, OMG Skip would go crazy over them.
    @azercord sorry to chime in late on the Brooks talk, @mom3over40 love the chart. I was wearing Glycerins 12 and LOVED them they went to 13 and not so much love anymore. I brought every pair of 12 I could find in my size online or in the store, so I have 3 pair but all have bookoo miles on them. I then went to the Launch 3 and love them to death. They are slightly more narrow in the toe box but I love them. My daughter was wearing the Launch, then tried on the Hyperion and good bye to the Launch for her. The Hyperion is a much lighter and according to the chart "faster" shoe.
    @ohhim I love DC, it was a good game, well for you.
    @mnlittlefinn we had twin runs today yours was just faster ha ha, @stoshew71 and I had twin times today, well he just ran 2 mile further :smile:
    @bettermike super 11 miles. Can't help in the calf cramps :disappointed:
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    @mom3over40 I've just ordered some glycerin 13s, £60 with free delivery. I'm shocked by the price difference for different colours, the ones I'm getting are black, pink and orange, not very pretty to look at. But any other colours are at least £50 extra in all the other online stores I checked. I think I'd rather run in ugly shoes with an extra £50 in my pocket lol.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    07KatieP13 wrote: »
    @mom3over40 I've just ordered some glycerin 13s, £60 with free delivery. I'm shocked by the price difference for different colours, the ones I'm getting are black, pink and orange, not very pretty to look at. But any other colours are at least £50 extra in all the other online stores I checked. I think I'd rather run in ugly shoes with an extra £50 in my pocket lol.

I always get my shoes from Runningwarehouse.com, last year's model and the cheapest price, which always tends to be the ugliest. I am pretty used to running in butt ugly shoes, but since they typically only last 2-3 months, I don't really care. The last pair I ordered happened to be a pretty light blue and pink. I was so excited to finally have some cute shoes!
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Yipes! Mag citrate will run right through you! You're brave! Haha! I only made that mistake once!

Ha, uh-oh. I didn't realize I was being brave. I started out cautiously, but I haven't had any trouble with what I'm taking. I think each pill is 150 mg high absorption (for what that's worth).
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I intended to get up early today and run, but that didn't happen. I've gotten used to sleeping in again :-/ Sunday I was motivated to take advantage of 52 degrees before church, but today I was not motivated at all. Tomorrow I WILL get it done.

So, last night I did lower body strength training and that dumb pain behind my knee was bothering me! So now I'm really leaning toward this being aggravated by strength training rather than running. I'm loving the DOMS today from the awesome workout but I think I better stick to pilates and see if I can run without this pain.

@07KatieP13 Good luck with the new shoes!

@Virkati Welcome back to running :)

@mbaker566 Great slogan on the shirt. Good to see you checking in.

@emmab0902 That sticky stuff on your lips makes me think you are dehydrated. Make sure you are drinking plenty all day long. Also, any medications that could be drying your mouth out? When I take allergy meds I have to run with a Ludens throat drop in my mouth because it's like all moisture has been sucked from my mouth.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Ha, uh-oh. I didn't realize I was being brave. I started out cautiously, but I haven't had any trouble with what I'm taking. I think each pill is 150 mg high absorption (for what that's worth).

@mom3over40 - I take mag citrate, as well. Only of an evening, and typically only one pill (not sure on dose--100mg, maybe). I find it helps with leg cramps and also helps me sleep better. There are a few different magnesium supplement options. Some are known to be more treacherous than others. I also really like epsom salt baths. They work well, since magnesium absorbs through the skin. Might be the way to go if you're scared of digestive issues.

As for during runs, I stick to drinking straight water. If I'm doing more than 10 miles, I'll take along some gatorade chews and eat one chew every mile. That's equivalent to taking one GU every 6 miles, just spread out evenly throughout the distance. Hypothetically, I could just drink gatorade, I suppose. But I like having the ability to regulate my electrolyte and sugar intake separate from my liquids.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »

Cramps and being short of electrolytes are indeed correlated. How much will that affect you, and at what distance? You just have to find out by experience.

I was fine running up to the half marathon distance on gels and water. I cramped up bad after my first marathon, and added Nuun to my routine. Cramped up after Boston, and added S-caps to my routine; they're still provisional, but I've noticed less foot cramping in post-run stretches when using them. Next real test is Sunday, when I run the Rochester Marathon. Will I finish it and *not* cramp up after the finish line? For sure I'll carry some S-caps with me, and make sure to take them during the race. That will be in addition to the Nuun and gels.

It's possible that someone else might not need the electrolytes as badly as I do; or that someone else might need them more and notice the effect at shorter distances. You just have to experiment a bit and observe how your body reacts to the different things you try.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @mom3over40 I try to take them during hard training runs where I know I'll run longer and harder than usual. During long runs I find that I perform better if I hydrate constantly and might put some electrolytes in my water. I no longer feel the fatigue setting in when running over 1 hour. Definitely drink water if you are running more than an hour. You can get away without but I would like to perform at peak level than battle dehydration during summer. Once temps drop it should be much better though

@ddmom0811 Soon(TM)

@skippygirlsmom Some guy in my country decided to do one alone. Thing is for, for the run to count in the record books (he was aiming for national record in 24h) it needs to be done on a loop no longer than 1 mile or something like that. He ran over 110 times on that loop. At least people would join with him over a few miles so he didn't get the full effect of the madness
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    50.69% of goal

01-Sep: 7.59 miles - Daily Double (Alan)
    02-Sep: 6.87 miles
    03-Sep: 10.04 miles
    04-Sep: <Life Day>
    05-Sep: 6.27 miles (Macon Labor Day Road Race)
    06-Sep: 8.08 miles - Daily Double (RWB)
    07-Sep: 3.27 miles
    08-Sep: 7.55 miles - Daily Double (Alan)
    09-Sep: 3.28 miles
    10-Sep: 8.14 miles (inc. Glazin' a Trail 5K)
    11-Sep: <Life Day>
    12-Sep: 8.20 miles
    13-Sep: 6.75 miles - Daily Double (Alan)
    14-Sep:
    15-Sep:
    16-Sep:
    17-Sep:
    18-Sep: <Life Day>
    19-Sep:
    20-Sep:
    21-Sep:
    22-Sep:
    23-Sep:
    24-Sep:
    25-Sep: <Life Day>
    26-Sep:
    27-Sep:
    28-Sep:
    29-Sep:
    30-Sep:

exercise.png

Missed the cutoff for the Senior Olympics qualifying run, so that came off the schedule.

Got a question: I'm a programmer, so I love data. I have data from all the races I've ever run (chipped/not, GPS length/advertised length, time, etc.). I don't have whether a particular race was USATF-certified (I know some are, but not all of the ones that are).

How do I come up with a REAL PR number? Do I calculate based on the actual distance or the advertised distance (which means effectively running the tangents will shorten the actual distance), as compared with the chip-based timing? I know that I'm going to more heavily-weight chip-based timing.

Regardless, the Donut Run 5K was NOT a PR, but it was a good race at 30:59 (Garmin recorded the distance as 3.05 miles). No, I didn't eat the donuts (not even afterwards).

I'm thinking of experimenting with nutrition - yesterday, for my long run, I decided to eat a bagel with peanut butter before I headed out. It was supposed to be about an hour before, but it turned out to be between 1.5 and 2 hours between eating and running. Usually, I just run on an empty stomach (except coffee). I've tried using Honey Stingers, but can't tell that they make any difference. Don't know that the bagel made any difference, but it didn't cause a problem.

Upcoming Races:
    17-Sep: Race for Education 5K, Warner Robins
    22-Oct: S.C.A.R.E. 5K, Macon
    29-Oct: Jay's Hope 10K, Macon
    05-Nov: Ridge Run 5K, Macon
    12-Nov: FUMC 5K, Warner Robins
    03-Dec: Reindeer Run (10K), Macon
    26-Dec - 01-Jan: Random running in JAPAN!
    14-Jan: Museum of Aviation HM, Warner Robins
    04-Mar: Albany/Snickers HM, Albany
    25-Mar: Cherry Blossom Road Race 10K, Macon
    08-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K/15K, Macon
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom @greenolivetree
    i'm doing alright. signed up for two races but now i just have to get my running shoes on.
    I got our wedding photos back so I'll be editing those this week. I've been having energy issues but i've got to give myself time to recover from the shock.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm Australian, and we say "dodgy" too. I have a workmate whose nickname is "Dodgy".

Haha! You non Americans are so awesome! I've cought myself saying "oi" and "dodgy" but it makes me want dodgy jammers, and timey wimey stuffs.
    @Elise4270 At my race on Sunday there was about 170 total athletes across the 3,5,10 and HM Distance with Early start for HM Runners and Walkers, 10km walkers had an option for early start. Most just did the 10km start. If the Race Director had asked for Walkers to line up behind the runners it would have made for a much nicer start,

When it comes to local language terms, What ever you do don't buy any Budgie Smuggler Swim Trunks for your DH - @Orphia is LOL right now.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I'd rather run on a treadmill in a 100 degree gym with a trash bag on.
    No ambiguity in that answer.

@skippygirlsmom Haven't seen any updates on your Skippy Girl and her recent accomplishments? Your Dear Mom?