Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sweetener - Good or Bad?

Options

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As others have said, depends on your goals and your tastes. I like my coffee sweet with a lot of milk. Over time I've gone from 2 tsp per cup to using a substitute. That's a "savings" of roughly 80-100 kcals per day where I can instead eat something healthier - like an apple. :)
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I can't do artificial sweeteners. Just a taste thing for me.
  • theycallmenass2013
    Options
    Try xylitol or erythritol. Both are 100% natural, has zero calories, zero GI and are also safe for people with diabetes. Also tooth friendly and helps with weight loss. The only draw back is it is a little pricey but do your shopping on amazon or ebay and you will get a good price.
  • alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do have a taste for Diet Coke, but I'm trying to stop drinking it because it's sweetened with Aspartame, and it's supposed to be very bad for your insides when it's metabolised. I think the jury is out about Insulin response and Sweeteners, but a lot of main stream diets do say to avoid sweeteners because they `can' stall your progress. Best to try it and make your own mind up.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to understand it myself.
    Sugar = Bad, Artifical = worse???

I've been using either stevia in the raw, or regular sugar in the raw. I also like raw honey.

Nope. Not true at all.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options

I've been using either stevia in the raw, or regular sugar in the raw. I also like raw honey.

Nope. Not true at all.

Totally true depending on whom you ask. I say yes it's worse. The stomach problems and funky neurological side effects do not make artificial sweeteners in any way a good choice for me or my kids. The putrid after taste that doesn't go away for over 2 hours is also a massive annoyance.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Nope. Not true at all.

Totally true depending on whom you ask. I say yes it's worse. The stomach problems and funky neurological side effects do not make artificial sweeteners in any way a good choice for me or my kids. The putrid after taste that doesn't go away for over 2 hours is also a massive annoyance.

K.
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »
    I do have a taste for Diet Coke, but I'm trying to stop drinking it because it's sweetened with Aspartame, and it's supposed to be very bad for your insides when it's metabolised. I think the jury is out about Insulin response and Sweeteners, but a lot of main stream diets do say to avoid sweeteners because they `can' stall your progress. Best to try it and make your own mind up.

The jury has already made their verdict, had coffee, got married, built a house, died and their grandchildren are still screaming at the population at large that it's settled.

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf
    https://examine.com/nutrition/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/

I looked at these. The second link didn't say a lot, but the first had over 90 pages. I couldn't help but notice NutraSweet had heir hands all over this one. So that one may have just a smidgen of bias.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Nope. Not true at all.

Neurological side effects?

And is this something the general population has to worry about, or a select few, who should avoid consuming whatever it is causing their uncommon problem (similar to how someone allergic to peanuts should avoid peanuts)?

Sounds like unnecessary fear mongering to me.

I am not speaking for the population, I am speaking for myself. Hence the words "I say yes it's worse." Not "it's worse for us ALL." I did not attempt to apply this to everyone in any way.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »

The jury has already made their verdict, had coffee, got married, built a house, died and their grandchildren are still screaming at the population at large that it's settled.

http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf
    https://examine.com/nutrition/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/

I looked at these. The second link didn't say a lot, but the first had over 90 pages. I couldn't help but notice NutraSweet had heir hands all over this one. So that one may have just a smidgen of bias.

Want another? http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2013.3496/full

Or do we have to call on Aaron again?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Nope. Not true at all.

And is this something the general population has to worry about, or a select few, who should avoid consuming whatever it is causing their uncommon problem (similar to how someone allergic to peanuts should avoid peanuts)?

I am not speaking for the population, I am speaking for myself. Hence the words "I say yes it's worse." Not "it's worse for us ALL." I did not attempt to apply this to everyone in any way.

So you and your children have suffered neurological side effects from ingesting artificial sweeteners?
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aaron is a molecular biologist (I think. Sorry if I didn't get your job description right). He could if he wanted to write you whole essays worth of how compounds like that are broken down in your body. If you don't believe science reviews, maybe someone you can directly talk to would help.
    And who was being rude and condescending? Or a jerk for that matter?

I did not say anyone was being a jerk I ASKED IF he was a jerk when you said "Do we need to call Aaron in." Also, I said the one study was biased because the NutraSweet people had their hands all over it. You understand that I'm sure. Nothing wrong with differing views. I don't need any "experts" trying to force me into sharing their opinion.

At any rate, I don't need to be muscled into believing the opposing view. I didn't come to argue.
    Options

Nope. Not true at all.

So you and your children have suffered neurological side effects from ingesting artificial sweeteners?

I did and my child had a serious stomach problem that was caused by sucralose. So FOR US, we say it's worse than sugar. To each his or her own.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of people who will say aspartame is safe...but for me it was causing severe leg aches. I try to stay away from them as much as possible. I either go without, substitute with something else (honey, agave, etc.), or use the sugar and just adjust my calories for the day.

Luckily, I have never been big on sweets. We owned a grocery store growing up, but instead of raiding the candy isle, I always wanted a slice of longhorn colby....love cheese! :)