INTERMITTENT FASTING - A LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

This is the formula that MFP has put up for me after putting in my weight and height.

SW: 103.40 kg - 227.95 lbs
    Height: 173 – 5.7 ft
    GW: 70kgs - 154.32 lbs

Daily Goal 1200 kcal
    Carbs 90 g
    Protein 120 g
    Fat 40 g
    Sodium 2,300 mg
    Sugar 45g

Christina

For your height and weight that is not enough calories!!! 1200 is too little. Your BMR is 1800 calories. I'm not sure how you have come to the number of 1200?

@Original_Beauty Did you plug her numbers into MFP?

I'm pretty sure MFP could have easily given her 1200 without her having to change her calories manually. Keep in mind when you work with kilos you get a 1100 calorie deficit for picking the 1 kg option, not 1000 like is the case with pounds. I'm a little bit lighter and younger and an inch shorter and I get 1530 calories to lose 0.5 kg, which means to lose 1 kg I would need to eat 980 calories. I haven't had it give me over 1200 calories for 1 kilo since I weighed probably 110 kg.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

This is the formula that MFP has put up for me after putting in my weight and height.

Daily Goal 1200 kcal
    Carbs 90 g
    Protein 120 g
    Fat 40 g
    Sodium 2,300 mg
    Sugar 45g

Christina

For your height and weight that is not enough calories!!! 1200 is too little. Your BMR is 1800 calories. I'm not sure how you have come to the number of 1200?

@DebSozo
    Her stats were pretty much the same as mine but a little taller. I just did it on MFP and her BMR is 1780?

Are you talking about BMR or maintenance for her current weight? My BMR is 1385. I'm similar height, and my TDEE is 1845 acording to an external calculator online. But MFP says my maintenance calories are 1660.
  • DebSozo
    edited September 2016
    Options

Daily Goal 1200 kcal
    Carbs 90 g
    Protein 120 g
    Fat 40 g
    Sodium 2,300 mg
    Sugar 45g

Christina

I'm pretty sure MFP could have easily given her 1200 without her having to change her calories manually. Keep in mind when you work with kilos you get a 1100 calorie deficit for picking the 1 kg option, not 1000 like is the case with pounds. I'm a little bit lighter and younger and an inch shorter and I get 1530 calories to lose 0.5 kg, which means to lose 1 kg I would need to eat 980 calories. I haven't had it give me over 1200 calories for 1 kilo since I weighed probably 110 kg.

I'm fairly sure MFP could have easily given OP 1200 also. When I plug in 0.5 pounds a week to lose I get 1410, and when I put in 1 pound a week loss it gives me 1200 because it won't go any lower.
  • ChristinaOne21
    ChristinaOne21 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - not sure about the Marketing and Sales comment someone's made - why on earth would anyone think that I'm trying to sell something, when I am just asking for advice?

I think I plugged into MFP that I wanted to lose 1kg per week and its given me 1200 calories a day to work with. Maybe I have done something wrong?

Sometimes I manage to do 1200 and sometimes I'm over that amount, but even on my off days over the last few weeks I have been around 1800-2300 I think, so after reading the responses I think I'm still doing okay, which is a relief.

The weight should by all accounts be dropping off me but its not, so I guess I really am going to have to hit the gym or find something else I can do that doesn't hurt my knees.

Thank you to those of you who have read my posts and realise I am genuine about my drive to lose weight. I was only writing this blog in the first place to hold myself accountable and I thought I could also share it with my personal social media - not that it would pop up on a public forum, but all good - it's proved to be a wealth of information that I knew nothing about.

And in regards to sales and marketing - well if anyone does need an excellent recruitment outsourcer in New Zealand, then I'm very happy to market and sell my recruiting services here :wink:
  • DebSozo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I wasn't sure what the person was referring to in the prior marketing question either?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the marketing question either?

Me neither..

• ChristinaOne21
    Options
    Benefit of the doubt - she must have made a typo!

Although maybe its a sign I should change my career and become a permanent blogger - or write a Intermittent Fasting Diet Guru book - with all of you as contributors!

I must say I'm much more interested in reading this thread than doing any real work :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - not sure about the Marketing and Sales comment someone's made - why on earth would anyone think that I'm trying to sell something, when I am just asking for advice?

I think I plugged into MFP that I wanted to lose 1kg per week and its given me 1200 calories a day to work with. Maybe I have done something wrong?

Sometimes I manage to do 1200 and sometimes I'm over that amount, but even on my off days over the last few weeks I have been around 1800-2300 I think, so after reading the responses I think I'm still doing okay, which is a relief.

The weight should by all accounts be dropping off me but its not, so I guess I really am going to have to hit the gym or find something else I can do that doesn't hurt my knees.

Thank you to those of you who have read my posts and realise I am genuine about my drive to lose weight. I was only writing this blog in the first place to hold myself accountable and I thought I could also share it with my personal social media - not that it would pop up on a public forum, but all good - it's proved to be a wealth of information that I knew nothing about.

And in regards to sales and marketing - well if anyone does need an excellent recruitment outsourcer in New Zealand, then I'm very happy to market and sell my recruiting services here :wink:

MFP can be pretty confusing because it will never give you an allowance below 1200 calories, so even though you chose 1 kg per week, MFP is kind of "lying" when it says you can lose 1 kg a week on 1200. It should be closer to 0.75 kg per week or something.

Try this: pick the option to lose 0.75 kg per week and see how many calories it will give you. You will be surprised to see that it won't be that much higher than your 1 kg allowance.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Benefit of the doubt - she must have made a typo!

Although maybe its a sign I should change my career and become a permanent blogger - or write a Intermittent Fasting Diet Guru book - with all of you as contributors!

I must say I'm much more interested in reading this thread than doing any real work :)

Sometimes the new kid on the Block gets tested. :) You are fine and welcome to MFP forums.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    OP, I didn't think MFP would go that low for someone who had a BMR that's above that number, but with their net calories formula I can imagine that the intake they expect would be somewhat higher anyway.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, I didn't think MFP would go that low for someone who had a BMR that's above that number, but with their net calories formula I can imagine that the intake they expect would be somewhat higher anyway.

Well the OP is largely sedentary, so it's going to take BMR * 1.2 and then subtract to 1100 to get 2kg a week (with a limiting factor of 1200). Personally, I would decrease that a bit with about 50lbs to lose. And then increase protein to around 125g per day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    She's literally an inch shorter than me and within 5-10 lbs of my goal weight. When I've had less to lose, crash dieting worked, but not for serious weight loss. She's obviously marketing....

I'm nowhere near my goal, and this kind of restriction isn't for everyone, but then again I'm making no recommendations and not participating in direct sales....

Or buy her schtick. But honestly, fasting at an inch taller at that weight, I'd lose 10lbs just sleeping for 2 weeks.

Honestly, what the heck are you talking about and who is this aimed at? OP? She's trying a way of eating new to her and enjoying it.

Sounds like she's also eating as much or more than you are, so the response seems kind of weird.

I do think OP could eat more than 1200. With 2.2 lbs (I think OP does kg, and they will let you do a 1 kg goal) and sedentary 1200 wouldn't surprise me as an MFP goal, OP, but do eat back exercise calories then. I got 1200 for only a 1.8 lb goal when I was 200 lb, but I'm a bit older and shorter.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Oops, I responded before seeing this, but don't worry, I'm sure everyone thought it was weird.
  • ChristinaOne21
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    [quote="Oops, I responded before seeing this, but don't worry, I'm sure everyone thought it was weird.
    Good it wasn't just me :)
  • ChristinaOne21
    Options
    Ha ha thank you all- I thought I may have overreacted but glad you pointed out that posters own 'schtick' (whatever that means) was weird.

Not sure about my BMI or how I measure that, but I think I got this right from responses above, that as I am pretty sedentary (nice word for avoiding exercise thanks) that 1200 calories per day is on point for now.

Off to try some aqua jogging though this morning (shock horror) and I will up the protein too as suggested.

100.10 kgs (222.88 lbs) when I weighed in just now - it is the morning though - so I know it will probably go back up again later in the day, but its amazing how seeing those little losses really help with my mind set to keep going - as does reading all of your posts - especially the ones that weren't specifically about me actually, as you've all opened my eyes around the science/or not of weightloss, which I really knew zilch about.

I thought I just needed to cut out sugar and fat and do exercise when I started this and was a bit depressed about it as I believed I was already eating a well balanced healthy diet - in some ways its all so simple now - calories in - calories out and in other ways its also so much more complicated! I know now my choices and portions were calorie high and I was fighting a losing battle carrying on the way I was.

On a very personal note (which I feel I can say as you are all a million miles away in cyber space) Psychologically wise I've had a battle with weight since an abusive ex told me he didn't want a fat bride and I needed to lose weight before we set a wedding date - I was around 70 kgs, 11 st, 154.32 lbs back then. He would then encourage me to eat and drink the same as he was and I had no willpower to not. In hindsight I know now he had a narcissistic personality disorder and was just screwing with my mind (he never wanted to get married as he was having an affair/s). I think I piled on the weight subconsciously, as I knew our relationship was all wrong - I wasn't sleeping, hermitting myself away and avoiding seeing anyone, as I didn't want people to know about the physical and verbal abuse and eating was my solace. I have hidden behind my weight ever since with the attitude of accept me as I am, but have never really been happy with myself and would be the first one to put myself down and point out my weaknesses before anyone else did.

I wonder whether a lot of peoples weight gain is attributed to what is going on with us mentally and emotionally?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Ha ha thank you all- I thought I may have overreacted but glad you pointed out that posters own 'schtick' (whatever that means) was weird.

Not sure about my BMI or how I measure that, but I think I got this right from responses above, that as I am pretty sedentary (nice word for avoiding exercise thanks) that 1200 calories per day is on point for now.

Off to try some aqua jogging though this morning (shock horror) and I will up the protein too as suggested.

100.10 kgs (222.88 lbs) when I weighed in just now - it is the morning though - so I know it will probably go back up again later in the day, but its amazing how seeing those little losses really help with my mind set to keep going - as does reading all of your posts - especially the ones that weren't specifically about me actually, as you've all opened my eyes around the science/or not of weightloss, which I really knew zilch about.

I thought I just needed to cut out sugar and fat and do exercise when I started this and was a bit depressed about it as I believed I was already eating a well balanced healthy diet - in some ways its all so simple now - calories in - calories out and in other ways its also so much more complicated! I know now my choices and portions were calorie high and I was fighting a losing battle carrying on the way I was.

On a very personal note (which I feel I can say as you are all a million miles away in cyber space) Psychologically wise I've had a battle with weight since an abusive ex told me he didn't want a fat bride and I needed to lose weight before we set a wedding date - I was around 70 kgs, 11 st, 154.32 lbs back then. He would then encourage me to eat and drink the same as he was and I had no willpower to not. In hindsight I know now he had a narcissistic personality disorder and was just screwing with my mind (he never wanted to get married as he was having an affair/s). I think I piled on the weight subconsciously, as I knew our relationship was all wrong - I wasn't sleeping, hermitting myself away and avoiding seeing anyone, as I didn't want people to know about the physical and verbal abuse and eating was my solace. I have hidden behind my weight ever since with the attitude of accept me as I am, but have never really been happy with myself and would be the first one to put myself down and point out my weaknesses before anyone else did.

I wonder whether a lot of peoples weight gain is attributed to what is going on with us mentally and emotionally?

BMI calculator:

nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
  • ChristinaOne21
    Options

BMI says Obesity = 35.7 - ha ha thats motivating!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

BMI says Obesity = 35.7 - ha ha thats motivating!

It is isn't it?

But then again you kind of knew that without the numbers so they are irrelevant

At least you are doing something about it