INTERMITTENT FASTING - A LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Interesting coincidence, I like Dr Norton's vlogs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Ok, the end of that got kind of funny.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

BMI says Obesity = 35.7 - ha ha thats motivating!

That is were I clocked in at two years ago. One Day At a Time comes to mind. Best of success.
  • GaleHawkins
    I agree with Dr. Norton based on past podcasts/videos. I agree in this video that while IF works that I might not be idea for people currently dealing with eating this order but that could be a generic concern with any WOE with any ED.

https://youtu.be/l272mz5j0zE link to the above video.

Personally I find after eating LCHF for the last two years that in my case it is IF by default due to no carb cravings I get busy and skip meals. Before LCHF it was not easy to do IF because I would get the strong carb cravings in just a few hours. I get hungry still but still no cravings. Like Dr. Norton states over and over if it works to help on cut calories then it is a good option but not magic. :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    auddii wrote: »

Got off on a tad bit of a rant lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    OP, if you start to exercise you should probably increase calories a bit, especially since you want to make this a long term game. Honestly, i would get a food scale and have my calories at 1500. At 4 weeks you can reassess your progress. I sid something similar and found i was able to push harder and make more progress at 2300 calories as compared to 1800.

This game is not just cutting calories low, its about finding an overall balance between a deficit and an amount of calories that will allow for long term sustainment.

If you do stay with 1200 take not of any changes in energy or awareness. If there is decline, inclease calories.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member

Wow!! I like that he said to question everything, including him, and to not turn into an a jerk about your particular way of eating.

• Wheelhouse15

Wow!! I like that he said to question everything, including him, and to not turn into an a jerk about your particular way of eating.

Actually, it did seem rather harsh but he wasn't talking about all vegans but rather the vitriolic troll vegans that treat food like a religion and believe you are evil if you eat meat and love to post comments to that effect. He wasn't very diplomatic but if you want to see the some of what he was referring to you can look on YouTube for people like Vegan Gains, Durian Rider, and Freelee the banana girl to see how bad it can be. Also look at how they went after Alex Jamieson, ex-wife of Morgan Spurlock and well-known vegan chef, when she admitted to eating meat after years of veganism.

I don't think he personally has an issue with the vegan diet but rather certain zealots who like to get into your face and tell you how morally superior they are to you.
  • ChristinaOne21
    ChristinaOne21 Posts: 49 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    OP, if you start to exercise you should probably increase calories a bit, especially since you want to make this a long term game. Honestly, I would get a food scale and have my calories at 1500. At 4 weeks you can reassess your progress. I did something similar and found I was able to push harder and make more progress at 2300 calories as compared to 1800.

This game is not just cutting calories low, its about finding an overall balance between a deficit and an amount of calories that will allow for long term sustainment.

If you do stay with 1200 take note of any changes in energy or awareness. If there is decline, increase calories.

Thanks for that advice - I do want this to be sustainable of course - but the on the other hand I want to reach the goal post quickly, as I am focused on my wedding in April (this time doing it for myself), so I guess I am aiming for a reasonably quick loss with 27 weeks to get down at least into the 70's.

Do you mind me asking whether your cals are set higher - is that the exercise?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Happy Day Light Savings - Spring has Sprung!

Weighing-in in the mornings may not be entirely accurate as it seems to go right back up during the day, but it's keeping me motivated seeing the little losses anyway - I just want the scales to be fluctuating on the 90's side by the end of the month instead of in the 100's!

SW: 103.40 kg - 227.95 lbs.
    GW: (for this month) 99.60 kgs - 219.58 lbs.
    Need to lose 4.0 kgs - 8.8 lbs. (1kg per week or 2.20 lbs. per week)

Weigh in dates:
    09/03 Sat: 103.40kg - 227.95 lbs.
    09/10 Sat: 102.10kg - 225.09 lbs. (- 2.86 lbs.)
    09/17 Sat: 101.50kg - 223.76 lbs. (- 1.33 lbs.)
    09/24 Sat: 100.40kg - 221.34 lbs. (- 2.42 lbs.)
    09/30 Fri:

Congrats on your progress!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    OP, if you start to exercise you should probably increase calories a bit, especially since you want to make this a long term game. Honestly, I would get a food scale and have my calories at 1500. At 4 weeks you can reassess your progress. I did something similar and found I was able to push harder and make more progress at 2300 calories as compared to 1800.

If you do stay with 1200 take note of any changes in energy or awareness. If there is decline, increase calories.

Thanks for that advice - I do want this to be sustainable of course - but the on the other hand I want to reach the goal post quickly, as I am focused on my wedding in April (this time doing it for myself), so I guess I am aiming for a reasonably quick loss with 27 weeks to get down at least into the 70's.

Psulemon is wise to advise sustainability. Pick numbers that are comfortable for you to lose on. You have to set your sights at slowly working towards eventually eating at maintenance level for your goal weight. Knowing that calorie range ahead of time will keep you at your eventual goal weight and prevent you from gaining weight.

As I am near goal I try not to go over maintenance calories when I take a diet break. Then I go back to reducing if I go up in weight by 2 pounds. But I'm not too drastic because my body rebels big time with strong urges to eat and cravings if I cut to vigorously. And because my deficit is small now I can easily gain weight if I frequently go over maintenance calories. You are doing terrific, BTW!
  • GaleHawkins
    DebSozo wrote: »

Psulemon is wise to advise sustainability. Pick numbers that are comfortable for you to lose on. You have to set your sights at slowly working towards eventually eating at maintenance level for your goal weight. Knowing that calorie range ahead of time will keep you at your eventual goal weight and prevent you from gaining weight.

As I am near goal I try not to go over maintenance calories when I take a diet break. Then I go back to reducing if I go up in weight by 2 pounds. But I'm not too drastic because my body rebels big time with strong urges to eat and cravings if I cut to vigorously. And because my deficit is small now I can easily gain weight if I frequently go over maintenance calories. You are doing terrific, BTW!

Great points. Different people take different approaches. Loss rate is much slower for me now than 40 years ago. :(

Some shoot for 1/2 pound a week just to learn a new way of eating at first. Actually if one can not make that work then 2 pounds per week is going to be a struggle. Seldom is weight loss the same week after week. Best of continued success.
  • ChristinaOne21
    ChristinaOne21 Posts: 49 Member
    I've been reading lots of other other posts to try and work out what my maintenance calories would be and to be honest I feel as dumb as can be - it is all numbers and abbreviations and makes no sense at all to my un-mathematical and un-fitness-wise mind!

I am losing some weight on around 1200 calories per day - but I must say the more I find out the more confused I am on what is the right way to be doing it. I have a long way to go before I hit my goal weight though and have to think about 'maintaining' - so should I just keep doing what I'm doing for now?
  • GaleHawkins
    edited September 2016
    I've been reading lots of other other posts to try and work out what my maintenance calories would be and to be honest I feel as dumb as can be - it is all numbers and abbreviations and makes no sense at all to my un-mathematical and un-fitness-wise mind!

I am losing some weight on around 1200 calories per day - but I must say the more I find out the more confused I am on what is the right way to be doing it. I have a long way to go before I hit my goal weight though and have to think about 'maintaining' - so should I just keep doing what I'm doing for now?

I found the learning curve was steep in my case as well. The math is a 'guess' at best. While I counted up my calories using the best guess info out there it was helpful since I had no idea about what kind of calories was in what kind of foods.

For the past two years I just weigh myself each morning. That gives me the net results of my eating as in CICO which really can never be totally calculated at home anyway. If I am gaining my net CI is greater than my net CO. If maintaining then CI=CO and if losing naturally my CI is < CO. This cuts out all food weighing and calorie counting for the most part.

Counting and weighing can be a real learning process on the start and I am not anti food weighing or calorie counting but after yo yo dieting for 40 years I made a commitment this time around to stop dieting and just eat to improve my health markers. For 18 months I have maintained at 200 with a range of 195 to 205 without counting or food weighing, any cravings or going hungry causing me to think about food between meals and often I go 10 hours without eating almost daily.

While this works for me just keep doing what you are doing and modify your WOE as needed. I do eat around 2500 calories daily with my macro so I stay stuffed most all of the time. The macro does vary but it is more or less 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% mostly saturated fats. PUFA's fats I try to avoid.

#1 in my case I had to figure out the best Macro of Carbs/Protein/Fats then I looked at the about of calories making up my macro. I did all this for pain management and found I needed to keep my daily carbs <50 grams and in my case I left off sugar and all grains. 30 days later my pain dropped from levels of 7-8 to 2-3 so I knew I had hit pay dirt. My weight loss of 50 pounds early on was really just a side effect of my successful pain management way of eating (WOE).
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member

Maintenance is just eating at your TDEE. TDEE is just another way to think of the sweet spot where calories in = calories out. No weight loss or gain. There are several TDEE calculators online. TDEE at your current weight minus about 500 should be your weight loss daily goal calories. A 500 calorie deficit for 7 days gives you a 3500 calorie weekly deficit. 3500 calories is a pound. One pound per week is about as fast as you should lose to be sustainable. Hope that helps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Collect data for another 3 weeks and then we can actually figure out your average maintenance. I generally do not include the first 2 weeks worth of data due to huge swing. And then you continue to recalculate as you go to refine your maintenance or TDEE. Below is how that math is working out for you currently. Hopefully going forward you can just plug the formula into an excel and modify based on current results.

Since I don't have access to your food diary, i have to extrapolate your intake based on what you said.

Calories in
    Average daily intake: 1200

Calories out

((2.86 + 1.33 + 2.42)/3) = 2.203333

Calories in a lb = 3500

Estimated weekly deficit

2.203333 * 3500 = 7,711.666667

Estimated daily deficit

7,711.666667/7 = 1101.666667

Estimated daily maintenance

1200 + 1101.66667 = 2301.666667

So that is how the math plays out. But what this data shows you, is that as long as you eat under 2300 calories, you should lose weight. Now, this is a continuous feedback loop, meaning that something like this needs to be updated throughout your weight loss because your TDEE will go down (generally, even though mine didn't) because as you weigh less, your body will burn less calories through daily activities (NEAT) and exercise.

As noted earlier, this would confirm that eating 1500 calories would still put you in a good position to lose weight, but it will also provide you a little extra room to get more nutrition to support long term goals.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited September 2016
    @psulemon what are you using to come up with the weekly deficit multiplier here:

Calories out

((2.86 + 1.33 + 2.42)/3) = 2.203333
    ?
    Thanks.