Weight loss is 90% food, 10% exercise?

Options

Replies

• divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Well a few jars of Crazy Richard Peanut Butter could put me at 7000 calories eating clean. ;) And the only ingredients in it is peanuts! Eating clean doesn't necessarily mean you are eating low calorie.

This was a decent article I had seen -

http://nypost.com/2016/05/03/heres-what-to-eat-if-you-want-to-get-skinny-or-if-you-want-to-get-healthy/

And I guess you can lose weight by eating cupcakes as long as it is under your calorie goal. But the problem with foods like that is that they are just pure sugar - they don't keep you full. They spike your sugar levels, send you crashing even worse, and then you are hungry again. Many people end up going over their calories because it's not enough real food or substance, or drinking it away in calories without getting full, and then they need to eat more.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »
    Well a few jars of Crazy Richard Peanut Butter could put me at 7000 calories eating clean. ;) And the only ingredients in it is peanuts! Eating clean doesn't necessarily mean you are eating low calorie.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/03/heres-what-to-eat-if-you-want-to-get-skinny-or-if-you-want-to-get-healthy/

And I guess you can lose weight by eating cupcakes as long as it is under your calorie goal. But the problem with foods like that is that they are just pure sugar - they don't keep you full. They spike your sugar levels, send you crashing even worse, and then you are hungry again. Many people end up going over their calories because it's not enough real food or substance, or drinking it away in calories without getting full, and then they need to eat more.

It all depends on what you mean by "eating clean" or "clean food" because peanut butter has often been considered to be in the junk food category depending who you ask. This is why many don't like the term "clean" because it really isn't a well defined term.

Also, the cupcake may not spike your blood sugar much if it has a lot of fat in it since that slows digestion. A lot of baked good can really vary on GI due to fat and protein content. Most junk foods that people really crave tend to be high in fat as well as sugar so can keep you full longer than you might think. As for drinking calories, that's a good way to get a lot with little satiety since liquids do not have the same satiety effect as solid foods.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    When I plan my meals, I basically consider peanut butter a fat source, not a protein source. I would have a tablespoon or so, but I can't stick to that with peanut butter, so I just don't buy it very often. I'm much less likely to go destroy a bottle of olive oil. You are right that it's hard to define "clean" eating.

PB certainly is a better source of fat IMO than protein so I would definitely agree with that for those who want more fat and maybe a tad bit of extra protein.
  • Bjws13
    Bjws13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Think to yourself, would work out in the gym for ages every day and eat junk food. The answer is no. It's pretty common sense

Well said
  • themetz3838
    themetz3838 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I'd be dubious eating anything from a guy called "Crazy Richard" anyway @leaninsc
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Loved looking at the posts on here. Found them very helpful. I struggle to lose weight, my problem is temptation foods ie biscuits. I try to eat healthy meals and listen to my body ie eat when hungry and not following the clock. Stop eating when I am comfortable and not full. Keep moving or walk, dance, stretch what ever I feel like doing. Enter all foods eaten on MFP. Not losing at the moment but will definitely keep at it because I deserve to reach my goal weight and I WILL. Good Luck Everyone.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    Weight loss really is 100% food, but are any of us really here for just weight loss? I know I want to be able to do more, have better blood test numbers, be more healthy in my old age and look better. In short be healthier. Exercise is a huge aid in all of this goals as well. For my weight loss I have to focus on my food, for my health I have to ramp up my exercise. There is the added benefit that exercise gives me a modest amount of calories extra to eat and still lose weight, but I wouldn't equate a candy bar as worth an hour or two of exercise. That hour or two is worth it though to eventually be able to play tennis well again.

I completely agree with this. I like to be active for my health, but for actual weightloss I simply have to cut down a bit on the calories.
  • divcara
    Options
    I'd be dubious eating anything from a guy called "Crazy Richard" @leaninsc
    Haha! It is sooo good! It is my favorite peanut butter. The only ingredients is peanuts. No oils, no added sugars. No sodium. I think it's a pretty good choice for peanut butter, but I destroy it. ;)
  • themetz3838
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @leaninsc I searched that PB and it does look awesome, no wonder you can destroy it lol! Not sure it's available in the UK tho???
  • themetz3838
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well said @makingmark
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There are tons of peanut butters that are just peanuts (often do have salt, though). The only trick is you have to stir them. So I'm sure there are some in the UK.

It's also easy to make it yourself in a food processor.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There are tons of peanut butters that are just peanuts (often do have salt, though). The only trick is you have to stir them. So I'm sure there are some in the UK.

It's also easy to make it yourself in a food processor.

True, PB is actually very easy to make!
  • themetz3838
    Options
    I'll knock some up then, at least this way you can have 100% confidence in what has gone into your food.

Anyone have any healthy snack tips for between meals, afternoons are hardest for me
  • poppigirl
    poppigirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else heard the phrase weight loss is 90% what we eat and 10% what we do, ie exercise? If this is true, then I've been placing way too much emphasis on exercise whilst wrongly thinking I could eat more

I agree. I have been hearing this more and more. I have not done much in the way of exercising (except walking everyday) and I cut my calories to 1100 - 1200 and have lost 40 pounds so far. I'm no spring chicken, so, it is not my youth or metabolism. I also have read that "earning" calories by exercising does not work in the ratio of calories burned : calories you can eat back, so, I just ignore any exercising calories "earned" and stick to my calorie limit.

This is an interesting article. http://vitals.lifehacker.com/exercise-vs-diet-which-is-more-important-for-weight-l-1677532039
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    @leaninsc I searched that PB and it does look awesome, no wonder you can destroy it lol! Not sure it's available in the UK tho???

Look out for Meridian Peanutbutter, it's delicious! Holland & Barrett have it but mroe and more supermarkets now stock it as well
  • divcara
    Options
    oh yeah, but the crazy richard's is my favorite taste of them! Good trick with all natural peanut butters is to store them upside down. Get less oils on top that way.
    Anyone have any healthy snack tips for between meals, afternoons are hardest for me
    I typically have a carb only for my afternoon meal so I usually have either 1/2 cup oatmeal, 5oz sweet potato, ezekiel pita and salsa, 1/2 cup brown rice, or 2oz whole grain pasta salad. Fills me, satisfying, keeps my blood sugar level steady, and holds me over until dinner. That is what has been working for me. 3pm used to be my most sluggish time of day. Sometimes I grab a quest bar if I'm on the go, but I try to stick with real food whenever possible.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Just my humble opinion, but anyone who decides to do 0% exercise and lose their weight based on simple calorie reduction (food) is destined to gain the weight back later. For me it's 50/50. If I exercise as much as I can handle long term, then I can eat more of what I like and still keep my calories under control. This is something I can maintain going forward permanently so I don't expect to gain the weight back. So I exercise, burn calories so that I can eat more AND I adjusted to a healthier diet but don't deny myself the good things all the time.

No, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but do you really want to gain it back again after the diet is over? Sure, you can learn new habits, but without exercise it means eating differently the rest of your life and counting calories. For me, that's no good.

Losing weight without exercise does not mean the person will not decide to add exercise at a later date.

For some, it's easier to lose without exercising because whatever exercise they choose makes them hungrier and more likely to overeat. Others prefer to just concentrate on one thing at a time. And still others just don't think exercise is all that important or desirable while they're dieting, but happen to change their minds some time after they get to goal weight.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Think to yourself, would work out in the gym for ages every day and eat junk food. The answer is no. It's pretty common sense

Really?

Funny, the only times I work out for 'ages' (I'm considering > 2hrs to be 'ages') is when I'm running half-marathon distances and greater. Those are the times I eat the most 'junk' food because I need the fuel and because I have the spare calories to do so. I'm not unique. There are plenty of athletes who do the same, not just casual runners like me, elite athletes as well.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Just my humble opinion, but anyone who decides to do 0% exercise and lose their weight based on simple calorie reduction (food) is destined to gain the weight back later. For me it's 50/50. If I exercise as much as I can handle long term, then I can eat more of what I like and still keep my calories under control. This is something I can maintain going forward permanently so I don't expect to gain the weight back. So I exercise, burn calories so that I can eat more AND I adjusted to a healthier diet but don't deny myself the good things all the time.

No, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but do you really want to gain it back again after the diet is over? Sure, you can learn new habits, but without exercise it means eating differently the rest of your life and counting calories. For me, that's no good.

Losing weight without exercise does not mean the person will not decide to add exercise at a later date.

For some, it's easier to lose without exercising because whatever exercise they choose makes them hungrier and more likely to overeat. Others prefer to just concentrate on one thing at a time. And still others just don't think exercise is all that important or desirable while they're dieting, but happen to change their minds some time after they get to goal weight.

We can only hope that they do.