September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I just now read you post. So sorry for your loss.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 That's on my reading list for the winter actually
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 Very jealous of where you ran - looked like an absolutely beautiful place to run...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn that's great about the race distance. I ran a 5 k that seemed short, even others around me mentioned it was short. I'll have to go check if it was sanctioned. Then I have a 24:44 5k.not that it matters when I'm still mastering walking :disappointed:

@skippygirlsmom Blessings and condolences to you, Skip and family. Healing wishes your way.
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, been a bit absent over the past couple of weeks with a knee injury that should hopefully clear up just in time for my half in 2 weeks time. My aim for my half is essentially to finish without making the knee worse. I've managed a 5k so far hoping to get a 10/11k in at the weekend so I at least cover half distance before the race. I did manage a 10 miler before the injury (drunken spin on a sticky dance floor) so I'm not as nervous as I would have been without that.

I have been stalking the boards so many races going on with great times, everyone's been rather busy. Wish everybody with injuries speedy returns (although not too speedy) and condolences to @skippygirlsmom.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Orphia will you be my personal trainer? Lol! I'll just eat and do what you do the previous day by your diary. Oh wait, I'm still mastering the distance to the coffee maker.... :wink:

Seriously, thanks for sharing your progress. Very motivating.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Aw, hugs. Very sorry to hear about your mom.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Wow - I don't check in for a weekend and miss 125 posts!! Unfortunately don't have time to read those just now, so herewith my quick update.

Just attempted to go out for 10k, and unfortunately got a really bad stomach just 15minutes in. Still learning this fuelling thing - guess it's not OK for me to have a small chocolate (snickers) bar an hour before my run! I wouldn't have thought twice on the bike, but my stomach has proved quite sensitive to what I eat and how much I drink before running so going to have to keep trying!

Anyway, I did 2.5K before I had to quit so inching closer to my revised September goal but thanks to today I will probably just miss out. The good news was, on reflection, I remembered 10 weeks ago I could barely run 500m continuously let alone 2.5K - today I felt like I was just warmed up so that was a nice positive I'm trying to hang on to!

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom So sorry to hear about your mom. My condolences to you and Skip. :'(
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm way behind on commenting but based on what I remember reading.....

@skippygirlsmom I am so very sorry for your loss. ***hugs***

@ariceroni Good luck with the bone scan and high five for beating anorexia!

@Orphia Amazing transformation! Your two running pictures literally look like 2 different people. You look inches taller in your after photo too :-D

I'll update my log in a sec.....
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    ereck44 wrote: »

9/1....4 miles
    9/4...6 miles
    9/9....6 miles...
    9/10....4 miles
    9/11...9 miles.
    9/14....4 miles
    9/16....4.07 miles....rolling hills program on the treadmill, pace at 11:06.
    9/18....12 miles. The first 6 miles in 67 minutes, the next 6 in 80 minutes, including 3 one minute walking breaks, starting on mile 8.
    9/22...4 miles. pace at 11:30.
    9/23....3 miles
    9/25.....12 miles....pace at 12:25

total is 68.07 miles. Goal is 70 miles.

Indianapolis Half Marathon 10/8/16
    One America Half Marathon 5/6/17

Trying out the new shoes with a long run. Only 3 hours sleep after working all night, 85 degrees and no water. Plan was to take planned walking breaks if running slower than 12 minute miles. Had to take first break after 3 miles, then ran well until mile 8.....3 walk breaks....parched with thirst...ran/walked the rest of the distance... finished in 2:27 for 12 miles..
    Wanted to run 14 but after running 12, I stopped at a water cooler ( it felt like an oasis in a desert), and was done afterward.

The new shoes felt heavier with a narrower toe box...going to try it on a short run in a couple of days. Only slightly sore today. Next and last long run, packing water.

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Had to take a rest day today because my hamstrings were still sore from the ten mile walk. Wouldn't you know it, it's been a super stressful morning at work. Damn, I wish I had some running endorphins. :|
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 1 hr walking, not all at once
    9/2 - 4 mi run, 35 min strength
    9/3 - 2.5 mi walk
    9/4-9/10 - NOTHING. Huge break.
    9/11 - 3 mi run, 2 miles walking
    9/12 - 45 min Fitness Blender lower body strength/HIIT workout, 3 mi walk after dinner
    9/13 - 1 hr indoor cardio/upper body
    9/14 - .5 mi walk/3mi run/.3 cool down = 3.8 miles
    9/15 - Rest day
    9/16 - 3 mi run, 2 mile walk = 5 miles
    9/17 - 3.25 mi walk
    9/18 - Rest day
    9/19 - 30 min cardio with a little upper body
    9/20 - 3 mi run plus .8 walking
    9/21 - 30 min light walking, 15 min light cardio/strength circuit
    9/22 - active rest day - 35 min light walking
    9/23 - 4 mile run/.7 mi walking plus super busy/active day
    9/24 - 3 mile walk
    9/25 - Rest day
    9/26 - 3 mi run/.8 mi walk/another 10 min walking.......still need to strength train later

Goal: Not be in pain

It was just cool enough this morning to sting my eyes and make them water (uppers 50s I think) but still humid enough that I got plenty sweaty and my glasses kept fogging up :-p I had a rough 3 miler with 2-3 significant walk breaks. 10:29/10:36/9:18. I finally got going good the last mile. Wore my new (rechargeable) blue LED light belt in front and some blinking red lights in back. I felt like a police car. Totally loving my new gear! Tomorrow we're supposed to dip into the 40s so I'll run again most likely, even though I haven't been doing consecutive days lately. I'm still trying to play it safe with only 3 short runs per week and see what aggravates the muscle behind my knee.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

9/1....4 miles
    9/4...6 miles
    9/9....6 miles...
    9/10....4 miles
    9/11...9 miles.
    9/14....4 miles
    9/16....4.07 miles....rolling hills program on the treadmill, pace at 11:06.
    9/18....12 miles. The first 6 miles in 67 minutes, the next 6 in 80 minutes, including 3 one minute walking breaks, starting on mile 8.
    9/22...4 miles. pace at 11:30.
    9/23....3 miles
    9/25.....12 miles....pace at 12:25

total is 68.07 miles. Goal is 70 miles.

Indianapolis Half Marathon 10/8/16
    One America Half Marathon 5/6/17

Trying out the new shoes with a long run. Only 3 hours sleep after working all night, 85 degrees and no water. Plan was to take planned walking breaks if running slower than 12 minute miles. Had to take first break after 3 miles, then ran well until mile 8.....3 walk breaks....parched with thirst...ran/walked the rest of the distance... finished in 2:27 for 12 miles..
    Wanted to run 14 but after running 12, I stopped at a water cooler ( it felt like an oasis in a desert), and was done afterward.

The new shoes felt heavier with a narrower toe box...going to try it on a short run in a couple of days. Only slightly sore today. Next and last long run, packing water.

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My Mom passed away Sunday morning while Skip and I were trying to get to her in Florida.
    My prayers for you and Skip (and the rest of family, too, but y'all are run-family!).
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom: I am so very sorry to hear about your mom.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I'm so very sorry, @skippygirlsmom. Take care of yourself. Hugs.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I'm so sorry to hear about your mom! We'll be praying for you!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    My students' attitudes and behaviors today are making me want to run really bad, but between my quads and my cold, that's just not going to happen.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    5512bf wrote: »

Just because I'm a data junkie I went back and found a 12 mile run from early in the training cycle. May 8th I ran 12 miles at a 9:59 easy pace at 61 degrees. Average HR was 147 with the final 4 miles being 150-156-160-163. Today's run was 66 degrees at a similar easy pace. Average HR 131 with last 4 miles being 133-131-137-136. Granted I put in 1000 miles since that May run, but that is a pretty significant gain in fitness. It takes some time see the difference, but the principles & results of the 80/20 running system are pretty remarkable.

That's super impressive right there. I had similarly amazing results from following the 80/20 plan and I recommend it to just about anyone who is willing to listen. That said, I still adhere to the plan and I am really not noticing much improvement in my speed of late. I ran my half marathon PR (1:43:56) in October 2014. I will be running the same half in two weeks and I am really not sure that I will be able to run much faster than that. Maybe I have to face the reality that at some point, age becomes a limiting factor. I guess I will find out in two weeks...

As a fellow data junkie, I can't believe I somehow missed your original post @5512bf This is awesome. I am also following the 80/20 plan. I guess I'll have to intentionally run at the same pace and distance in a few months just so I can gather some comparable heart rate data lol. I don't think that would have occurred to me; since I'm running primarily by heart rate, I would only see a difference in pace otherwise.

Thanks for posting this @lporter229 Good luck with your half!