Girlfriend not losing weight on deficit

Options

Replies

• joshsparkes
    joshsparkes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not me @akf, first post on here looking for advice and some of the hate and pessimism is just shocking.

@VintageFeline, nope didnt eye ball anything. If we ate out we overestimated to be safe.

How about this approach - 1400 cals - not putting in any walking calories and getting some lifting in...? Anyone?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Perhaps only eat some of the calories back from the walks.

I'm currently losing pretty slowly and so only see losses once a month, the week of my period. The scales is good enough for this I just have to be aware that the losses are slow. I weigh daily to track the trend and so I can catch those whooshes (whether it happens on a Tuesday or a Thursday or whatever) because I always bounce back up a pound or so afterwards for another month.)

I think you just have to trust the process. Use a measuring tape (but again, differences will be small and slow because she is already a healthy weight), progress pics, fitness progression and clothing fit.

I think she might have more fun getting into some form of strength training and seeing the change in body composition that can bring with little need to lose much weight.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I would agree that walking calories are HUGELY overestimated, not just on MFP.

Read this, I use the formula in here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

Online calculators are basically doubling the true number. When you hear people say 'eat back 50%' that's really an indication of how terrible the estimates are.
  • joshsparkes
    joshsparkes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Maybe fixes is the wrong word... but she had no negative thoughts about food for 9 weeks, the longest ever whilst she thought she was losing weight, sounds good to me, and it was good, clearly im pissed off with this set back, I know the process works and have had to learn my own numbers, but its harder for her to trust it as she now thinks she cant lose weight eating chocolate. Its going to be tough/impossible to get her to put her faith in the system again, which is a shame because i know it works long term and is flexible.

I'lll forget the walking calories, try and get her to track and and lift weights. The challenge here is to regain her faith in MFP. Thanks for the input I think we have a plan.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those qctually helping to find a solution to the problem. I think its down to the walking being overestimated.

Yes we used a digi scale and i do the same as standard so we had fun so knowing we were getting in ever better shape.

Now to try and get her back on the right track.

Anyone know the best way to measure fat loss? Measuring tape? I know scales are not good.

The best way at home to measure body fat is likely with a decent set of calipers. They are cheap and readily available on Amazon.com. Loose skin can, however, throw that off so figure it's not 100% accurate but can get you within 1-2%. As far as what I read in this thread, I'd say as well the walking is likely over estimated. Make sure she's not estimating walking all day, if she has a job where she's on her feet all day then her activity level for her calories should be increased on her original calculations, but it shouldn't be also factored into exercise. If she's intentionally going on walks as a form of exercise she can either use an app or device to count steps or to estimate calories burned. I walk/jog a 5k six days a week and burn around 500 calories doing it, but it's almost all up hill, at a rate of 4+ mph (sometimes faster) and I even mix in body weight exercises during the walk, and even then I figure it's only about 70-80% accurate. The app I use connects to a heart rate monitor and adjusts my burn based on my heart rate during the walk, as well as takes into account my height, current weight, and age.

Water weight, especially with women (not trying to cause an uproar, but because of monthly water gain) is a problem usually. With added salt/sodium in the diet from most pre-packaged foods and/or fast foods, I'd imaging it's much harder for a woman not to have more water weight swings than a man. So keep that in mind too, you can change MFP to track sodium intake instead of sugar (sugar is default I think on the diary page). I'd suggest tracking it as best you can and seeing if she's going way over her daily amount. Tell her also not to weigh herself right before, during, or right after her period as it likely isn't going to be accurate.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    If you/she measures and she's this sensitive (not saying she's overly sensitive, just aware) than make sure the measurements are always in the same place. Putting the tape in a different spot can make measurements be inaccurate. I have "body markers" like moles, freckles, scars I wrote down and bring out the list when I measure. Just a suggestion.

Sounds like a professional might be needed but I know, easier said than done.

Good luck, I have NO suggestions for someone else's calorie intake. Can barely figure mine out.
  • cbordner16
    cbordner16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! Weight loss isn't cut and dry. Body composition is hard to know off the bat to then decide on calorie goals. I'm 5'3" 140lbs, but I am a bodybuilder and have a lot of muscle mass. I eat 1600 cal on a training day, more if it's a heavy compound day. Tell her not to be discouraged, that it's a journey and the more she tests and experiments, the more she learns about herself in the process. Good luck!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Chocolate cake is not bad to eat, but I would guess eating it all the time would end up having the calories be off, because my guess is people aren't really good at getting the right calorie count for cake. The problem in general is that she is probably eating more that she thinks, and burning less than she thinks.

Right, at 1200 calories per day a piece of chocolate cake can be anywhere from 25-75% of daily calories.
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    5'7 and 136lbs

Give me strength

That's what i thought too. What's there to lose? Perfect weight if you ask me.