WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• LoopsLinn
    LoopsLinn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello,. Im a Returnee to MFP. I'm 51, grandma to 4 lovely kids. Happily married. (most days) lol. Typical rebounder , had managed to loose 2 of the 4 stone target....fell off the wagon to gain it all back again. I was told around march time by Doc that I am now pre-type 2 diabetic. Had managed again to loose 2stone.... and as per my usual trick.... put it all back on....that's twice in the last year. So I know I can stick with it.....I usually do low carb as I know carbs are my trigger foods. So. Back again , I really need to do this and push pass the 2stone barrier without caving in again. I have been browsing your posts and find them all inspiring.... my October resolutions are:
    # at least 8 glasses of water daily
    # 45 minutes walk 5 out of 7 days
    # NO bread (big trigger)
    # lower carb intake
    # up protein intake
    #Log into MFP everyday
    # check in with you Gals 2-3 days a week

Hoping to get to know you all. Take care x

Linda
    Northern Ireland
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Judgmental has no home here! Be gone....lol
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    No workout, just the hot tub
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    There is something terribly wrong with my computer so I shut it down and will deal with it tomorrow :'(
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Becca and Beth . Great to hear from you both. Staying healthy and happy is a very long road, isn't it?
    Glad that we can check in and check up with each other.
    No judgements Carol if a glass of wine doesn't impair you then why not enjoy it? You could sacrifice calories elsewhere maybe??

NYKAREN
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Been thinking about the upcoming holidays. I am glad that our home will still house the small family that is here for Thanksgiving. The two real big families, because their sons can't stop having children, won't be here. I't just the Evansville family plus my daughter and family of 4. But it's Christmas that will be drastically changed. We have to many people to use my house for it anymore. Last year we had the meal at a place we rented and that was wonderful and then came back to our house to open gifts and then just hang out and be family. We watched the kids play, adults had lots of fun staying there for several hours, going over to the desert table frequently, laughing and enjoying each other's family. There are several of us that need good sturdy furniture that supports us and the recliners help a lot. 2 of the family fave a lot of trouble going up and down the stairs. We are downstairs in the family room. Well that will have to change this year. All the many kids these 2 men keep on having are a year older and there will be another one here this year. Michelle are thinking of putting scissors and thread in the stockings of these two guys for free vasectomy kits. Both of them have 4 kids now,never married. One of them will have baby momma and girl friend this year. So how do we decorate this fellowship hall we rent to make it look like Christmas. O know we could go get a cheap tree and ornaments but I hate putting up our own tree and more than likely won't this year. Michelle suggested a poster like thng to put on the wall. I think that looks tacky. Plus the chairs are regular folding chairs. I know my DSIL will have to be taken back to her hotel and then come back later. It's just not the Peterson family Christmas I have had for all my 66 years. I am heart broken just thinking about it.

We leave tomorrow morning to see our daughter and grand kids!!!!!! Then Tuesday we will go to a 'theme' park not far from there called Kentucky down under. It is a very Australian event, exotic birds from there also a lot of animals. They hand train these birds and animals from birth to be able to be handled under a very watchful eye of the handlers. Also a small but lovely cave that is on the grounds. They have golf carts for rent, also wheel chairs and mobility scooters. You can try to reserve a golf cart the day before. so tomorrow at 8 AM, park opens up 9 AM which is 8 our time and try to reserve one. It's a 6 person golf cart and should be fun. This will be our fall vacation we have had with our girls for several years. But in years past it has been a full destination vacation such as Myrtle Beach, Panama City with both girls. This year is a little over a day with just one daughter and her girls. Our DSIL will be in Nashville which is very important for him as he is self employed entrpenour and needs a lot of networking to buy into his books on the church and technology. Wish I felt tops for this but I will enjoy it. Also Christina will see in person how her Dad is really like, how his Parkinson's is affecting him,how slow and hunched he is.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Beth and Becca good to see you back!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Sharon, welcome back. Where have you been, woman??? :D

Chris, congrats on that loss. Strict discipline does pay off and I need a dose.

Mary, have a wonderful vacation. We’ll miss you.

Allie, I hope you have a successful talk with Tom. Thinking of you with love. <3

Becca, thanks for checking in. As far as do you want/need to lose weight, ah, er, um all those “reasons” you gave to not need to, sound like a bunch of bunk to me. I mean this weight loss stuff and eating right are not always fun so why not come up with reasons to not bother. I could sure be talked into it but I’m not as comfortable with my fat body as you are with yours. When I walk by a window and see my reflection I still can’t believe that chubby person is me. And I never want to go back to the Fat *kitten* I was before I found MFP. You know that I love you and only give you my opinion in case it rings true to you. For sure we are all healthier when we don’t carry around an extra 50 or 100 pounds. Not to mention look and feel better.

Kay, it sounds like quite a work out for your first time back in the gym!! I hope you didn’t overdo. Glad you are healing nicely. (((Hugs)))

Linda, welcome. This is a great place for support and information so come often.

Joyce, I know you’ll have a good time with your DD and the grands. I know you hate not being able to have Christmas at your house but who has a house that large? Surely if we all put our heads together we can come up with some decorating ideas for you. Tell us about the room and how you set it up. Safe travels.

DH and I drove around the neighborhood this morning and there were a number of houses that lost a lot of siding. There weren’t’ as many trees down as I expected but almost everyone with the solid privacy fences had a lot of fence damage. All in all I’d say we were pretty lucky. Thanks again for all the well wishes. I do want to hear from our NC ladies because they really had the rain in the eastern part of the state. I didn’t hear much about the Charlotte area.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Annr
    Options
    DJ~ You know I love ya too, and I value your opinion and insight as well... Maybe I didn't put my thoughts down as well as I meant to. They weren't "reasons" persay, nor were they excuses. They were just insights into what makes me, me. True, maybe my desire to lose weight isn't as strong as it should be. Each of us look at their journey differently. For me, looking at my reflection and seeing my imperfect self, well I look at the parts of me that I appreciate. It's better then looking at my reflection and hating what I see. It's wasted time, the self hating. I know I have a different opinion than most on here. There are moments when I get serious, lose weight, feel proud. As well as days when I gain weight, notice I am down on myself, and during those days I have to remember. I am a perfect imperfect person. There is more to me than mere body mass. My "reasons" to you might be bunk, but to me they are validation that I am where I should be in my own head. ((((hugs friend)))

Becca
    in rainy Oregon.....
  • Annr
    Options
    ((((hugs Margaret!)))))
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Beth near Buffalo: Welcome back! :smiley:

Dr. Katie: I'm happy that you were able to get back to the gym after surgery. WTG! :star:

Linda in N Ireland: Welcome to a great group of supportive women! I've been here 1456 days, and others have been here longer. I got the weight off by counting calories with the support of MFP and this group was a big help. I intend to keep the weight off. Without the focus I get from logging, and the wonderful support from this group, I would have a very hard time maintaining my new healthier focus. Stick around for encouragement and support. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Computer problems are not any fun. I hope a shut down and restart will clear up your computer problems. I've had this computer since 2009, and I'm still happy with it. I hope yours will be easy to get back into good order. :grumble:

Becca: You can make your own life choices and be respected. It is good to see you posting. I miss your humor and unique point of view when you are away. :heart:

I have been on MFP for quite a while now, & counting my calories every day. I appreciate the support here. I value this group and consider each of you a treasure. :heart: See you tomorrow. :wink:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies for welcoming me back.
    D.J. - I am so glad you weathered the storm. As for where I've been? DH had another round of operations. Helping my brother jump through the hoops to be put on the kidney transplant list, scattering ashes, supporting my step son in the aftermath of his younger brother taking his life, being a bridesmaid, etc. Finally realizing that unless I take care of myself I won't be able to do any of these things or enjoy my grandchildren the way I want.
    Lillian - I saw photos from up your way. My fingers are crossed that the weathermen are wrong. I am not ready for snow but that is what we are slated for and a lot of it.
    Had a good Thanksgiving weekend but ate too much. Visited, played crib, sang with the grand daughters.
    -Sharon in soon to be snowy Southern Alberta
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Becca it was so great talking with you - sorry for the rowdy boys interrupting our conversation. (BTW everyone Becca has the cutest voice nothing like I expected! She sounds like a teenager) I hope you don't ever feel that we are putting pressure on you. We love you no matter what your decisions are about your journey. Many of us have gone through the same ups and downs with our weight even with the support of all the women on here. For me I know that I'm in trouble when I stop logging and planning ahead. I also know the difficulty of choosing healthy foods when your income is limited. Anyway whatever your choice is it's OK with me. If you don't feel like spending much time on here with us right now that's OK too. Just touch base every so often so we know you and your family are OK.

Love you <3<3<3

Gloworm in WA
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I had to take a time out life was slapping me in the face. I was diagnosed this pass week with grade 2 Adenocarcinoma uterine cancer. Spend the week so cold just in shock! Doesn't run in my family. But I did miss some clues of it existing as my doctor pointed out. But now to move on. This coming Friday I have an appointment with the onocologist to find out the stage. I find the grade and stage stuff confusing.

I have been researching ketogenic diet for cancer. I made steps to do this. I still am trying to understand it I need a cheat sheet for dummies.
    My October goal is to follow this plan
    Be active in my medical care
    Start walking again get back into the water etc.
    Stay postive
    Pray baby pray

Have a good Monday!
    Liz from Caldwell, Idaho
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Elizabeth - I can only imagine how scary this is for you. I hope you have good support surrounding you with love. I have a friend who missed the clues too or actually just didn't know to look for them. It's been over 5 years since her diagnosis and surgery and she is doing well. I will pray the same for you. o:)
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Anyone who looks at my log for today knows that I definitely did not start planning ahead but tomorrow is a new day and a new start!

Nite all goodnight-smiley-emoticon.gif Gloria in WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Just about to set off to the airport for our flight home. Lots to say about the beauty of the Alhambra of course, but they do put you through hoops to get there. I prebooked the only time they had left, 8.30 am on Sunday. It's dark here till 8.00.! I went and got my actual tickets in the tourist office, then she told me that I have to get there half an hour before hand yo exchange them as they are Senior discounted tickets. :sad: So we were up really early, got a taxi up there, HUGE queues! :# I took control, as usual, o:) and found a security guard lady who took me to another spot where I could do the exchange. Thank goodness! Then we had to queue a bit to get in, then walk fast for 25 minutes to get to the Nazarine Palace at our timed spot of 8.30. Phew! But it was most definitely worth it. :D<3 Will post pics from home.

I flashed out on a VERY expensive taxi back to Malaga with money I had specially got out of my own account so DH couldn't complain. :laugh: Lovely taxi driver, so I practised my Spanish. All good. Went back to the same restaurant where waiters were tired after a loooonnnngg Sunday of family parties lunching out, but we had a good time and talked to an American couple.

Off now!

Heather going back to the UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    watching the news and having my cup of tea... only one Dr today ,and I will help out up front and do what I can ..
    will make some pork and rice for Tom tonight..and then go feed DFIL