WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gloria in WA: Regarding spelling lists, can you give us some examples of his word lists so we can think about it & come up with ideas? :huh:

Heather: You and your DH look lovely and like you're having fun. :smiley: I love the photos you're sharing. Seeing the world through your camera lens is quite nice. :bigsmile:

Charleen: What a beautiful horse and look at all those ribbons! I don't plan to buy a saddle now or in the foreseeable future because I don't expect to own a horse. I am really happy with a lesson a week, and I'd like to ride another day or two each week but haven't found the right situation to lease a horse. I was really excited to find a saddle that I can lift clear over my head with no pain, which is amazing. It isn't a problem with my lessons because my teacher saddles the horse for me. That ruffles my pride a little bit, but the alternative could create so much damage to my shoulder that I could risk giving myself a permanent disability. I won't go there when there is a better alternative. My last lesson was bareback without even a saddle pad and I loved the feel it gave me for what the horse was doing and the knowledge of exactly where I was on his back and how his muscles work. We did that lesson on a lunge line. It was at a walk and slow jog with direction changes that came from my teacher. She warned me in the beginning, but there were surprise changes by the end. I would someday like to be able to do it at a working trot & canter as well.

This afternoon DH and I took the dog to an off leash park here in town and had a good time. DH sits at the top of the hill, I go to the bottom of the hill, and we call Schooner back and forth. He loves it. I hide behind trees and make him hunt for me now and then.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Heather, love all the pictures!!!

Charleen, beautiful horse and good lookin’ rider.

Katla, fun games with the dog. I know he loves it!!!

Barbie, so happy you are moving well. Keep up the good work.

So far not much weather going on here. Unfortunately it looks like Matthew may get a lot closer to us than early predictions. We did not have a mandatory evacuation where we live, only closer to the beach. I’m just glad the worst is expected tomorrow afternoon around 2:00 and not in the middle of the night. This hurricane watching is exhausting so I'm probably off to bed early.

Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    DJ take care, be safe, thinking of you <3. NYKAREN
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    Did 1/2 an hour of HIIT then 15 minutes on the rowing machine. The plan for tomorrow is to do Bob Harper's Cardio Conditioning DVD.

Found out that there's going to be a yoga class in the a.m. on Wed before the water aerobics class. Yea!!! I've missed it terribly. I really need some yoga, so I'm happy!

Vince is busy watching The Weather Channel. I can't be bothered, they sensationalize so much. To me, what will be will be.

katla - I won't even let Vince start to buy Halloween candy until a few days before Halloween! You're a better person than I am, that's for sure. Usually, most leftover candy I just donate to the soup kitchen. Oh, Vince likes to have some which we keep in his office (out of my sight), but if the bag is opened, then it gets donated. If the bag isn't opened, it gets returned to the store. We'll probably have to buy extra candy this year since I'm thinking that I'll put some out on the table for the Halloween party. I'm also going to have bags of Halloween pretzels.

Glo - my personal opinion, and this is mypersonal opinion, about the $15 minimum wage is that if the minimum wage is $15, where is the incentive to better yourself? Why bother getting extra education, you can just make $15 minimum. Used to be (in my day anyway) that the minimum wage jobs were mostly held by high school kids and retired folks who weren't looking to make a lot of money, just something to suppliment their income. Not something that you do for a living, you didn't flip hamburgers for a living. It was a steppingstone. Enough of MY soapbox now.

DJ - thinking only good thoughts for you. Take care.

Made these Hungry Girl brownies for Rummikube Tues and then these low fat oatmeal raisin cookies. then I found out that the guy who was to do the presentation at the Newcomer general meeting (he was going to have samples so I didn't need to get any volunteers for a snack) had a death in the family so he won't be making the presentation so I'm scrambling to get volunteers. Some people have, but they for the most part are people who already do a lot in Newcomers -- the president, the past president, this one lady whose husband was the vice president last year. I'm going to see if some new people volunteer, that would be nice.

Jessica is coming tomorrow. Made some chocolate chip cookies for her and I guess I can take some to the general meeting since I really haven't brought something in a LOOONNNGGG time and I really don't want to sell the 50/50- tickets since I'm usually checking to be sure there's enough coffee, cleaning up the creamer containers (even tho the garbage can is two steps away), things like that.

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,139 Member
    Options
    DJ- stay safe!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,605 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.07min, 14.6amph, 150mhr, 2.9mi = 124c
    ELIPTICAL- 36min, 119ahr, 129mhr, 5incl, 5resist, 3250str, 90stpmin, 3.62mi = 277c
    ride gym 2 dome- 8.19min, 10.4amph, 143mhr, 1.4mi = 124c
    ride dome 2 hm- 21.08min, 7.3amph, 145mhr, 2.5mi = 213c
    total cal 738
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    :s lots of pain today and I've no idea why. pain pill and ice for bedtime.

Marcelyn
    hurting in Houston
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    :s lots of pain today and I've no idea why. pain pill and ice for bedtime.

Marcelyn
    hurting in Houston

So sorry, take care. Hope you feel better in the morning. (((Hugs)))

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Lake Wappapello in Missouribgbhoth1nb8t.jpg
  • janetr7476
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Every where you go in MO you see these little caves. Would love to explore.fwcauaviwcty.jpg
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    DJ- the worry for your area is all the rain on soil that is already saturated. Please be careful as the storm may come in at high tide.
    Heather lovely pictures of a lovely couple.
    Had lunch with some friends and spent the rest of the day resting from my last two days. We had hard rain and temps in the 60's today. Quite a change from the 90's I played golf in the last two days.
    Barbie-good idea to hide the kettle bells for now.
    Early bed time tonight.

SueBDew
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    KJLaMore – Yeah, “'I' before ‘e’; except after ‘c’ … or when sounded as ‘a’ as in neighbor or weigh. I’ve got a small book with all the ‘rules’ of English … my Mother would probably be ‘churning in her urn’ to hear or see some of the things I do now (without having her to ask how to do it the correct way). I am the “Queen” of run on sentences. LOL! Math (Algebra) … Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally: parenthesis, exponents, multiply, divide, add, and subtract. I have 2 of about 6 in a series of Reader’s Digest books with little snippets of information to teach to children. Some, I still have not learned; but, now I have a place to go to 'look it up'. I want to get the rest of these books. I never could recite the Books of the Bible which was something we had to do in church (Baptist). Never was good a memorizing a ‘poem’ (unless I wrote it). I got so upset when I had to go stand in the ‘cloakroom’ because I could not stand up and say it ‘out loud, in front of the class’. Finally, I was able to recite it in front of the teacher, never in front of the class.

I can remember asking my Mother, “How do you spell …?” She’d tell me, ‘go look it up’; to which I said, "how can I do that if I don’t know how to spell it, ... that’s why I asked YOU!" 'Sound it out'. (Phonetics). We had one of those gigantic Webster Dictionaries that was on a stand. Boy, I wish I had gotten that one; but, my niece got it.

I’m better at Math, I think, than with 'correct grammar'; because I can ‘picture’ it. I used to drive my Mother wild with ‘good, better, best’; "if you did your best, then why can’t you do better?" She finally gave me the answer … “Because Blue Birds Fly!” It’s NOT like numbers! Because Blue Birds Fly is a good answer to the constant 'Why's" that children are so good at asking.

I know my Daddy gave a test to any new secretary to use the words, 'site', 'sight', and 'cite' in one sentence. He told my Mother that he wanted her to work for him, when he showed her a test he had given to a young woman who missed ALL of them.

DJ – Do they still predict that it will ‘circle’ around? I have not watched the weather lately.

I ate too much tonight! Miserable!

I've got to figure out what I need to set my TV to in order to play VHS tapes. Guess I will need to call my carrier.

Lenora
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hi, everybody!

Lillian -I want it to cool down and I look forward to fall and winter BUT I don't think I could handle snow in October. Are you one of the gals who is in TOPS? I've been gone for awhile and my memory's kinda wonky so it might be someone else. TOPS means a lot to me. I have continued as the leader of my group even through the last challenging year of weight gain and depression. I especially love the way we support each other and strive to be healthier.

Stay safe
    Toni in Tennessee

Yes Toni - I am in TOPS, Leader again this year. I have been the leader for awhile. Next year it will have to be a new leader. We are a small chapter in a small town, but we have great support.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • blumenstockbj
    blumenstockbj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    :)
  • blumenstockbj
    blumenstockbj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    :)
    Barb. Indiana
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn - So sorry to hear your shoulder is hurting so badly. Hope you still have a few pain meds left to get you through the night and tomorrow is a bit easier for you. :(
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DJ: I'll be keeping your safety in my thoughts as the hurricane approaches your area. (((HUGS)))

Michele: Good news about the yoga class! I'm happy for you. :smiley:

Marcelyn: I'm sorry you're hurting. I hope tomorrow is a better day. :flowerforyou:

Janetr: I love the photos from MO, especially Lake Wappapello. :star:

We had fun today by taking the dog to an off-leash dog park here in town. He met some funny new dog friends there. I really liked the bulldog best of all the dogs there--except my own, of course.

Yoga this morning was a full house and was taught by a favorite teacher. There were two new students, both beginners & much younger than most of us. Except for one or two "whipper snappers" in their 30's, most of us are 50+. The two new students looked like they might be in their twenties.

Riding lesson tomorrow! YAY!!!!!!!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,139 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn- I'm sorry to hear about the pain you're in. I hope you feel better tomorrow.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GalatiansTwoTwenty
    GalatiansTwoTwenty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello, Ladies! This is my 24th day on MFP, and I just found this 'thread'? is that what I call it? I know very little about computers, the internet, smart phones etc.

I have been very encouraged reading your messages here. I would like very much to join the group. You all seem to be very supportive of one another.

I have been overweight most of my life, maybe it wasn't too bad when I was a baby ;) ! I have never really been able to lose very much weight at one time - I have probably lost the same 10 pounds many, many times in my life. At this time, however, it seems to be fluctuating often - several times between a 15-25 pound loss since my husband passed away at the end of October last year. I am tired of being either dizzy and weak due to low blood pressure and blood sugar or sick and short of breath etc from edema, high blood sugar and I am sure high fat in my blood. Right now I think the grief is a huge enemy of my health. Sorry that this is such a discouraging message. I would much rather be encouraging all of you, and I know that one day I will be able to do that. I have faith that I will not be left where I am, and that everyday I am getting closer to health.

Many, many prayers for all of you! I saw the name 'Joyce' from Indiana in one of the messages so you can call me 'Joyce Ann' (also from Indiana) :)
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Joyce Ann
    This is a wonderful group. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure it must be very difficult for you still. This is a wonderful group of women. I took a detour from them for more than a year due to depression and grief. I took stock of things and realized that I was tired of running from my feelings and being such a "turtle". I knew this was a place I could come back to without being judged or rejected. I just returned this month. It has already helped me so much. We all have our struggles. It is so good to have others who care about us. You will find that here.

Really enjoyed work today. We are always so slow on Fridays. I spent a good part of the afternoon typing up Bible verses for the "Spiritual Vitamins" the Y have out for members to take if they wish. I think most Ys do this. I could have done some copying and pasting but decided to type the verses. It was so good for me to put all those words of encouragement from the Word into my "half empty cup". One of our Ys calls their scripture verses "Soul Food"! They certainly are!

Thinking of those of you with struggles. Rejoicing with ones celebrating big and small accomplishments!

Toni from Tennessee