Options

Replies

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Trina2040 wrote: »
    Eleted wrote: »
    Trina: You make an excellent point. I too am watching my sodium, not for bp, mine is low, but for inner ear issues and eating out anywhere is a sodium nightmare! Trina, did you stall at certain points? If so , how did you remotivate yourself? Glad this thread is ALIVE again!

@Eleted I understand about your inner ear issues, I have the same problem along with the HBP although since I've lost weight I've been able to cut my HBP meds in half. I actually never stalled while losing, just kept at a steady loss although some weeks were up - some down. The overall trend was always lower until the last few pounds. I weigh in every day then average the week and use TrendWeight.com to mark the downward trend over time. I fluctuate 1 to 3 lbs. up and down. I'd like to lose another couple of pounds but I'm in a healthy weight range so if it doesn't happen I'm still good.

I do get tired and sore, so every 6 to 8 weeks I take a week off from the gym for some active recovery. I stay active but stop lifting/cardio; just walk, etc. That week off really gives me the energy to stay on track; I look forward to it.

Trina did you lower bp meds under doctor supervision. I would like to come off or at least cut down on the meds I monitor my bp and lately is between 107/57 and 109/59 I worry that dias is too low
    Kate

• Nancyh59
    Nancyh59 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I turned 57 this summer. In May I started out at 208 lbs. I'm at about 173 now, 35 pounds down. I started in a snug size 18 and my new size 14 pants are getting pretty loose. I'd like to lose another 30 pounds to officially put my BMI in the non-overweight category, but my doctor said "30 more pounds off will make you look like a crackhead." LOL . . I still want to do it though. I walk 30-40 minutes nearly every morning on my treadmill and my leg muscles have gotten great . . . but I feel like I'm losing core and arm strength. I know that lifting weights would help, but I don't want to join a gym or go to a trainer--just no time right now between my 8-5 job and the business I run with husband the rest of the time. I have all kinds of weights, but I need suggestions for a good routine. Thanks!
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    Trina: You make an excellent point. I too am watching my sodium, not for bp, mine is low, but for inner ear issues and eating out anywhere is a sodium nightmare! Trina, did you stall at certain points? If so , how did you remotivate yourself? Glad this thread is ALIVE again!

@Eleted I understand about your inner ear issues, I have the same problem along with the HBP although since I've lost weight I've been able to cut my HBP meds in half. I actually never stalled while losing, just kept at a steady loss although some weeks were up - some down. The overall trend was always lower until the last few pounds. I weigh in every day then average the week and use TrendWeight.com to mark the downward trend over time. I fluctuate 1 to 3 lbs. up and down. I'd like to lose another couple of pounds but I'm in a healthy weight range so if it doesn't happen I'm still good.

I do get tired and sore, so every 6 to 8 weeks I take a week off from the gym for some active recovery. I stay active but stop lifting/cardio; just walk, etc. That week off really gives me the energy to stay on track; I look forward to it.

Trina did you lower bp meds under doctor supervision. I would like to come off or at least cut down on the meds I monitor my bp and lately is between 107/57 and 109/59 I worry that dias is too low
    Kate

Hey, @spikeyhair! Yes, under doctor supervision.
  • Trina2040
    Options
    @Nancyh59 try The New Rules of Lifting for Women -- online & book form. Also, Stronglifts 5X5, online.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,702 Member
    Options
    Nancyh59 wrote: »
    Hi, I turned 57 this summer. In May I started out at 208 lbs. I'm at about 173 now, 35 pounds down. I started in a snug size 18 and my new size 14 pants are getting pretty loose. I'd like to lose another 30 pounds to officially put my BMI in the non-overweight category, but my doctor said "30 more pounds off will make you look like a crackhead." LOL . . I still want to do it though. I walk 30-40 minutes nearly every morning on my treadmill and my leg muscles have gotten great . . . but I feel like I'm losing core and arm strength. I know that lifting weights would help, but I don't want to join a gym or go to a trainer--just no time right now between my 8-5 job and the business I run with husband the rest of the time. I have all kinds of weights, but I need suggestions for a good routine. Thanks!

As a note of concern, I'd like to encourage that if you aren't able to add some strength-maintaining exercise, you might consider slowing your weight loss rate to preserve strength.

Adding strength later is absolutely possible at our age, but it's typically a slow process - IMO it's especially important at this age to maintain the strength we have while losing.

At 60, I feel like strength is one of the things that stands between me an an early move to assisted living . . . I'm pretty happy with the results of working to stay strong while losing 60+ pounds (combination of strength exercise & slowing loss rate as I got lighter).

YMMV, of course.
  • sun_cat
    sun_cat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone - I discovered this thread today, and thought I'd jump in as well. I'm still trying to find what works for me, and hoping I'll learn a thing or two from the collected wisdom here.
  • ThaiKaren
    ThaiKaren Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Just discovered this thread, so inspiring, I have 6 months to go before my 60th and just want to be in a healthy body fat range. I work out 5 times a week but i think I need to do more walking.
    Tried so many diets, fad and otherwise but will agree with basically what everyone hear has said, MOVE MORE EAT LESS AND TRY TO EAT CLEAN
  • Sherryjones1018
    Sherryjones1018 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new to this blog and recently retired. I was just diagnosed with T2 diabetes in June 2016. My doctor defintely attributes it to my weight and believes if I take off the weight I can reverse hopefully some of the damage and get off the meds.

When I got married I was a size 5 (104 pounds). After my three children were born I hovered around 140-150 which I would love to be at now!! But for the past 20 years or so I am carrying an extra 100 pounds due to emotional eating. I've gained and lost so many times and I realize for me the only way to be successful is to be in the right frame of mind. Like anything else, you have to be ready and really want it. I realize if I am to enjoy my retirement I need to be mobile and right now the weight and my knees are making that difficult.

The diabetes diagnosis was a wake up call and I am on a mission. Since mid June I have lost 16 pounds. It's been slow but steady. I was keeping myself to 1200 calories but my nutritionist upped my calories for the last two months to 1500 along with increased fats and much lower carbs. Exercise is tough rihgt now because I am having some major problems with my knees which I know in some ways is weight related.

The carbs are what I am really struggling with. She has limited me to 100 grams a day and I am finding that almost impossible. If you incroporate a salad with veggies and some fruit, you could reach that 100 grams so quick . That's where I need to get better at the moment. Im also getting bored eating the same old stuff, so I was thinking of the Paleo diet to change things up and I beleive it is lower carb but I need to read up on it.

Any suggestions or comments would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Take care and stay encouraged.:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This is a wealth of info on going low carb, recipes, blogs about going low carb etc.
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/links.html

There is also an MFP group but it is private, if you think you might gain from joining, request to join:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I am not T2D, but my husband is and me cooking this way has resulted in me starting to lose weight again, I had stalled, still have @20 lbs to go. My husband has so far eating this way not had to use meds. Just diet and exercise (not heavy exercise either, walking, yoga and the occasional short bike ride) is working for him so far.
  • Trina2040
    Options
    @Sherryjones1018: Hi, Sherry. Congrats on your retirement! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You're moving forward and that's great. When I first began losing weight (I'm in maintenance now) I also kept my carbs at 100g's. It's totally doable. Look for foods that are low glycemic. I'm sure your doctor discussed this with you, but just in case here's a good web site (American Diabetes Association):

diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/glycemic-index-and-diabete

Hope this helps!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new to this blog and recently retired. I was just diagnosed with T2 diabetes in June 2016. My doctor defintely attributes it to my weight and believes if I take off the weight I can reverse hopefully some of the damage and get off the meds.

When I got married I was a size 5 (104 pounds). After my three children were born I hovered around 140-150 which I would love to be at now!! But for the past 20 years or so I am carrying an extra 100 pounds due to emotional eating. I've gained and lost so many times and I realize for me the only way to be successful is to be in the right frame of mind. Like anything else, you have to be ready and really want it. I realize if I am to enjoy my retirement I need to be mobile and right now the weight and my knees are making that difficult.

The diabetes diagnosis was a wake up call and I am on a mission. Since mid June I have lost 16 pounds. It's been slow but steady. I was keeping myself to 1200 calories but my nutritionist upped my calories for the last two months to 1500 along with increased fats and much lower carbs. Exercise is tough rihgt now because I am having some major problems with my knees which I know in some ways is weight related.

The carbs are what I am really struggling with. She has limited me to 100 grams a day and I am finding that almost impossible. If you incroporate a salad with veggies and some fruit, you could reach that 100 grams so quick . That's where I need to get better at the moment. Im also getting bored eating the same old stuff, so I was thinking of the Paleo diet to change things up and I beleive it is lower carb but I need to read up on it.

Any suggestions or comments would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Take care and stay encouraged.:

Yes, congrats on retirement! Now you have no excuses
  • Trina2040
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Sherryjones1018: Hi, Sherry. Congrats on your retirement! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You're moving forward and that's great. When I first began losing weight (I'm in maintenance now) I also kept my carbs at 100g's. It's totally doable. Look for foods that are low glycemic. I'm sure your doctor discussed this with you, but just in case here's a good web site (American Diabetes Association):

diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/glycemic-index-and-diabete

Hope this helps!

OK, trying this again since that link isn't working.

diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/glycemic-index-and-diabetes.html

Here's another good one.

health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @Nancyh59, jessicasmithtv on youtube.com has lots of videos for strength training using everything from body weight to 8# dumbbells and beyond. She is good for beginners on up and is not annoying. There are also lots of "challenges" that you can find online and do to increase muscles. These are just a couple of alternatives if you are not a gym person.

@ridiculous59, I found a baked potato soup recipe that has more cauliflower than potato and is excellent! Look for it at skinnytaste.com.

• Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good morning All! I could use some support on this fine Monday morning. I need to jump start the weight loss again. I have gained back 10 of the 30 that I lost! I have had some health issues that have slowed me down and given me a reason to sit and eat more! But I am recommitting today and sure could use some MFP friends for accountability. NO EXCUSE MONDAY!!!
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    Good morning All! I could use some support on this fine Monday morning. I need to jump start the weight loss again. I have gained back 10 of the 30 that I lost! I have had some health issues that have slowed me down and given me a reason to sit and eat more! But I am recommitting today and sure could use some MFP friends for accountability. NO EXCUSE MONDAY!!!

Good luck, please don't be discouraged you have made decision to start again and that's great. I have also done this so many times in the past but this time I knew I had to do something for my health so have kept at it. Weight goes up and down a little but mainly down. I check in on MFP every day and read the threads its now a habit and helps keep me on track.
    I am 71yo female
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you spikey hair. I too, every morning, read the message boards for inspiration but it can wane by evening. Are you still in weight loss mode?
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    Thank you spikey hair. I too, every morning, read the message boards for inspiration but it can wane by evening. Are you still in weight loss mode?

I think I'm addicted to boards. Yes still in weight loss mode it's slow but going down. Got 4 lbs to go to my original goal but think I need to lose another 6 or 7 after that. Think I'm more worried about maintaining cos I know that is going to be the most difficult part for me as I have lost so many times before but always put it back on
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's great to see so much activity on here! Welcome to all the new faces! We are all here because we want to get healthier. For me, it's a little I embarrassing to admit that it 's only taken me sixty years to admit to myself (and it really was ME I had to convince) that I will have to be vigilant everyday for the rest of my life if I want to be at a healthy weight. In the past, I had the attitude that if I was diligent for the time it took to lose to or near a weight I was happy with, then I could go back to being "normal" like everyone else. I now know that I have to be consciously aware of every bite of food I put in my mouth for the rest of my life. I know that when I'm stressed, I can easily use that as an excuse to over-eat or eat foods that will sabotage my weight loss. My granddaughter sucks her thumb, I eat. We both need to kick the habit!

I have had to learn to love myself enough to put limits on my food intake, to keep healthy snacks in my home and to say no to people I love who were used to feeding me as a way of showing love. Try to remember the people around you are used to you being a person who loves to eat to celebrate, to deal with stress and to get comfort. Part of your new lifestyle will be to kindly educate your loved ones that you are trying to change how you deal with food. They will have to learn new habits right along with you. You are changing the rules and they are used to the old you. Don't assume they are trying to sabotage you. Just be honest and tell them you are trying to lose weight and whatever they are offering is not on the menu except as a special treat on occasion. Know that you can't fix everyone, you can only fix you. It really doesn't matter what the person next to you is eating. It matters what you are choosing to put in your own mouth. It feels like you're depriving yourself at first, but it does get better! Just remember "I love myself enough to take care of my body. It's the only one I'm going to get". Nothing says you can't have a bite...you don't have to eat the whole enchilada or piece of cake or anything else you really love. Just balance your day. When you're out of calories, you're out of food for the day. When that's how you look at it, you really think about how much those higher calorie foods mean to you!

If you put it in your mouth, put in your food log. If you worry what anyone else thinks about what you are eating, keep your log private. It is a tool for you to see how many calories you are eating. Period. Don't let anyone guilt you into opening it if you won't tell the truth of what you ate. If you can't be honest with yourself, who are you lying to??? This is how you got to be overweight!

Sorry about the long-windedness! Just documenting some personal home-truths I have learned along the way. I need the reminders now and then! If I can do this, I truly believe you can too! It really is not rocket-science! It is simply eating fewer calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight. One day at a time. Every day is a new start. Don't let one bad day become a string of bad days. Don't give up on yourself! You can do this!

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Totally agree; that doesn't mean that you don't fall off the wagon from time to time. It's a lifestyle not a "diet" with an end date. If you fall off, you get back on; you only fail if you quit. If there are times you're not around healthy food, eat the best you can, and don't worry about it. B)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!