my husband thinks that I am ungrateful

Options

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I can understand why you feel upset. I also understand how men can be.. especially since you're just two weeks into your fitness journey. Most men buy the same things we like out of habit. He was being a typical man buying you the chocolates you've always loved. And his mom mum making you a birthday cake is pretty sweet.

I think you're mad at yourself for eating the chocolates and too much cake.

a few tricks.. eat one chocolate…put them in the freezer.. and when he isn't looking..throw a good number int eh trash. he'll think you at them.
    the cake.. have a small slice… and again.. give most away or throw some away when dear mum and hubby are not looking. It spares feelings..

as time goes on.. you can have a heart to heart talk with hubby… that you'd like a non food gift for special occasions from now on.. and give him a few ideas.

btw.. you can burn half of those calories in an hour cardio session. good luck… :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    miteyme wrote: »
    How do I explain to my husband that a box of chocolates is an unsuitable present for a chocoholic overweight wife in the second week of a weight loss diet. Incidently I responded by eating 15 in quick succession before our birthday tea which included a raspberry and cream dessert cake made by his 92 year old mum. The outcome is 1500 Cal daily excess, an exploding tummy and a deep feeling of resentfulness. Help me!

First-one day of high calories doesn't doom you. Go back to eating normally tomorrow.
    Second- you need to learn to eat smaller amounts of chocolate. You aren't going to avoid it forever. You can eat some chocolate. Practice eating it slowly and savor it. Let a piece just melt in your mouth instead of chewing it.
    Third- Give your dh lots of non-food gift ideas for future. He bought you something you love. He was trying. Maybe he doesn't know what else to get you.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Why not just suggest a few things you'd like that aren't food objects? Thank him for the gesture , point out something you would also like. Bring them to work, share them with friends, so many options.

It's one day of the year though. If he knows you have a hard time moderating chocolate, look at it this way, he knows you REALLY like chocolate and just wanted to get you something you would like...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    How do I explain to my husband that a box of chocolates is an unsuitable present for a chocoholic overweight wife in the second week of a weight loss diet. Incidently I responded by eating 15 in quick succession before our birthday tea which included a raspberry and cream dessert cake made by his 92 year old mum. The outcome is 1500 Cal daily excess, an exploding tummy and a deep feeling of resentfulness. Help me!

When you first start making changes often times people around you are resistant to the idea. You just have to talk to him.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Guerdi wrote: »
    Girl, just say NO!! That's called sabotage! Maybe he thinks if you lose weight you will not want him anymore - try to encourage him and let him know this will give you "more energy" to enjoy him even more....he'll like that!!

Yeah, evil man devil!!!

Or maybe he bought his wife some chocolates for her birthday, which could have been consumed in moderation.

Haha! What you put into your body is your choice alone, so you can't blame anyone else! No one made you eat the cake or chocolate. If someone else takes offense to you wanting to be healthy and strong and make wise food choices, oh well. No skin off your nose. You do you.
    You don't even have to tell him anything. Bring it to work and give it to a co-worker. Re-gift it. Or just tell him thanks, but no thanks.
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Puppybear1 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 -
    First, let me say that it really seems to me that you are a kind and supportive person. You want her to be stress free and to feel better. Some people really respond to direct confrontation and advise. I guess the comment came across as a little harsh to me because she was so early in her journey. Too much light has a tendency to blind people. If she was a year in and she was blaming the grocery store for advertising chocolate, it would feel differently to me. (I am oversimplifying but you get my point.)

I also think it was super sweet that her husband got her chocolates for her birthday. I don't think he was wrong for trying to be kind to her on her birthday. On the flip side, when someone who knows you and loves you and has watched your struggles with weight gives you a food that they know you find hard to resist, it can feel as though they do not support you. Maybe even that they don't believe in you. It hurt her feelings.

Secondly, if you know that a substance is bad for your body, you shouldn't ingest it. Part of every addiction recovery process is to stop ingesting the drug. Surely you don't think alcoholics should have a beer once in a while, especially during the first two weeks of recovery. Abstaining is what builds willpower. Ex heroine addicts aren't accused of hiding from their addiction when they choose not to shoot up. When you have had a terribly unhealthy habit of abusing food, breaking the habit is sometimes necessary before reintroducing the food in a healthy way.

Lastly, I agree that ultimately, we all have to take responsibility for our own actions. Blaming others will never set us free because it gives others power over us. So yes, we shouldn't fault others for having or offering us those things, but even in AA, taking responsibility doesn't come until step 5. Addicts have spent a lifetime lying to themselves. Saying to themselves, "they offered it, it's their fault so I shouldn't feel guilty about doing it. It's their fault." It takes time to see ourselves truthfully.

Fair enough, you may be right that my approach was too blunt...time will tell, I was just giving my opinion as well, OP can decide it makes some sense or ignore it up to them.

I disagree with the comparison of chocolate to alcohol or heroine though for several reasons. First alcohol and heroine themselves are actual chemically addictive substances. If you purify them (higher alcohol content higher heroine percentage) then they are more potent. Chocolate isn't like that at all. If you purify chocolate you get this bitter dry stuff that most people would hate the taste of. Purer heroine is more addictive, purer chocolate isn't. Chocolate isn't some chemically addictive thing, its just a thing some people really like the taste of it thats all. Second, heroine and alcohol damage you regardless of what else you are doing in your life. If you are otherwise healthy but you drink a lot of alcohol you will still get liver damage. If you are otherwise healthy and take heroine it will still destroy your life and possibly die from an overdose or improperly prepared drug. If you are otherwise controlling your calories and exercising then eating chocolate isn't going to hurt you at all. You could eat three full sized chocolate bars a day and still be fit. You aren't going to drink 12 beers a day or shoot up heroine daily and be fit.

With all due respect, comparing these two addictions is apples to oranges and Aaron asked the OP a very valid question in what her long term plan was to lose and maintain her loss.
    A recovering alcoholic/drug addict can quit and successfully avoid drugs or alcohol for the rest of their lives. My husband has been in recovery for over 22 years by doing just that. Someone addicted to foods cannot. A recovering food addict must confront and learn to moderate their consumption to be successful. You would never ask an alcoholic to learn how to moderately consume alcohol. That's not how it works.

You are exactly correct. There is a world of difference. I believe you would agree that shame, guilt, and self loathing transcends the differences. Asking ourselves once again how did I get here and hurting ourselves a bite a time. Taking our pain out on the ones we are supposed to love. We are in chains/prisons of one kind or another. Finding a way free is the goal I believe. Isn't this all about hope in the final analysis. For if there is no hope why try? Spes Manet.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You could have just eaten 1 or 2 and put the rest in the freezer for some other time- or take them to work and let your coworkers eat them (or throw them away when he's not looking). No need to eat 15 chocolates in 1 day... Let him know to get you flowers or jewelry next time.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    lissmayer wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the sympathy. I could have secretly used them for baiting mouse traps I guess.

How would that solve your problem, long term?

Converts sugar to protein.

/thread
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I was given a large Easter bunny by my work social club a few weeks after I started with MFP.

I weighed out 1 serving of the bunny for me, and 1 serving for my husband ... and we ate 1 serving a night until the bunny was gone. That way, the bunny fit within my calorie goals. :)

In addition to my suggestion of putting the chocolates in the freezer, you could do that too. One for you, one for him each night until they are gone. That way you both get to enjoy them.
  • miteyme
    miteyme Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am not really into my first 2 weeks ever of dieting. I AM 57. I have got to the place classed as Not Overweight in the past. Then put it all back on in 8 weeks. Or in 8 months. I feel like a member of AA. If I take a chocolate I am compelled to eat the lot. It really works for me keeping chocolate out of my life. I dont gamble or take drugs or drink compulsively, but chocolate is my poison.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    So show him how grateful you are

You're married

I'm sure you can come up with something

I love this way of thinking..