my husband thinks that I am ungrateful

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You don't have to eat them. If you don't have the willpower to resist then you're not ready to lose weight!

:laugh:
    I eat chocolate AND am losing weight.
    Your point? Rude and invalid.

At first I thought it was pretty rude too. But don't you think he's right in a metaphysical way? the only way to lose weight, or maintain weight, is to resist in general. It's like saying, "If you don't have the willpower to balance, you're not ready to ride a bike." So as kids we took off the training wheels, and took our lumps on the gravel or pavement, and learned how to ride. Or...didn't.

You and I can have chocolates because at a certain point, we resist, and if you are like me, this is a skill I have worked very, very hard on, and it's not been easy, and it's not been fun, but the more I develop the skill, the better I am at it. I still fail badly from time to time, but I pick myself up, dust myself off, keep a stiff upper lip, and get back on the bike.

To me, the post came across as "if you cannot resist at all, you're not ready to lose weight" which was a black and white way to approach this. I would have agreed with "learn from your mistake and create steps to help you on the path to moderation so you don't end up binging if you're presented with a similar situation" which would have worked better for OP considering their state of mind over the matter.

Telling someone who is obviously distraught over what happened and how they handled the situation that they are not ready because of how they handled their situation can easilly push someone with obvious binge issues into more binging. Yes, they should take full responsibility for the way they responded to the situation, but they CAN get better. It may have been that they heavily restricted calories and foods prior to the binge, too.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I think I'd agree with that. Thing is though the more time you spend pushing yourself the futher away the "danger zone" becomes. If you are used to putting yourself into uncomfortable situations then it becomes harder and harder to push yourself so hard that you actually shut down. If you avoid anything difficult on a regular basis and then are confronted with difficulty you are much more likely to crumple.
    I work with and train people who sometimes need to put themselves in harm's way, unfortunately.

I know how they work under pressure because I have put them under stress and they know what they are capable of under threat. My people train under those conditions.
    Occasionally they have to deal with real threat situations and I am grateful that that have always been successful.

Then there are those who do not go to extra training (mine or others) or do not take their roles and responsibilities as seriously.
    Those people often have not done as well when things went south, in my experience.
    One individual I am thinking of quit his role the next day.
    He was not injured but he was scared and he did shut down.
    Fortunately one of my guys stepped in and only the bad guy was the worse for wear.
    My guy deciding to go the extra mile & train harder; being used to the "danger zone" saved someone's life.

Sometimes people have to be shoved into the "danger zone" to know what they are capable of because they do not want to go very far out of their comfort zone.

Think about how some kids learn to swim: they are thrown in and issued directions.
    At the time you are reacting as if your life is in mortal danger, because you don't know if your crazy uncle will jump in and save you or not.
    But you learn the basics of swimming and you are no longer scared of it. Over and done with.
    Now anything the swim coach tells you to do pales in comparison to Uncle Bob yelling "Kick your legs!"

Putting pretty labels on it is just another way to sugar-coat the fears and habits that hold people back from reaching their goals or their potential.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    why could you not just eat one and then bring the rest into your work place or something..?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    If you received a knife would you start cutting something right away? If he bought you a gun, would you lock and load and become Rambo? It is perfectly okay to accept a present, ANY present. In fact it is the courteous and respectful thing to do. THEN when you get a chance it is also perfectly acceptable to share that gift, or to conveniently "forget" it somewhere.

The responsibility for what you decide to ingest is your burden and yours alone. NO ONE makes you eat, learn, feel... those choices are yours... accept that, or accept that you will continue to disappoint yourself. and if you choose the disappointment, then you need to reflect on WHY the person staring back at you in the mirror doesn't deserve to succeed in her aspirations... once you have had that long hard talk...you may be ready to find a path to success.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think back at any time I have bettered myself at anything. Whether it is sports, school, or public speaking and it never happened without putting myself into situations where failure in some degree was definitely an option. I had to push myself and learn new skills and new attitudes. In school and public speaking it was actually pretty easy, I was uncomfortable, but I got better the more I did it, I learned what worked for me and got more efficient as well.
    Sports maybe isn't as good a metaphor. Sometimes I had to go out and lose, but even when I lost I watched what the people that beat me did, I mimicked them, adapted my game. The one thing I think sports did teach me is that every time I failed I learned what I did wrong, analyzed it, and worked to correct what I was doing to avoid it happening the next time. Sometimes the other guy will win no matter what I do, but that doesn't mean I don't win next time.

As far as the OP goes, look at this as a learning opportunity. These are things that are going to happen, make a plan for them, be better next time, but realize it is you that hold the power, not your husband.
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Why is one piece of advice considered good advice while the other is considered overly harsh or somehow wrong or foolish to even suggest? What is the difference between self confidence or willpower and muscle strength where one you can suggest improvement without coming across as rude and one you cannot?

For me its basically the same probelm and therefore the same advice. Oh, your lower back is weak? Well perhaps take some time to work on strengthening it. Oh, your will power is weak? Well perhaps take some time to work on strengthening it.

This is what I find so irksome about society today, people would rather coddle others and call good advice "rude" because they just don't want to own up that they have to put in the effort. I've seen a lot of people with negative mindsets, they just want to wake up and magically be skinny and then resent those who are skinny. If someone tells them to exercise or control their diet, they'll lash out and claim that it's not their fault for being so overweight, it's "genetics".

Honestly, it's so frustrating to see, especially when that kind of mindset is becoming more and more prevalent in society.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Just to share a weakness I have with regards to weight management its an open buffet at parties. If I go out for dinner at a restaurant where I am handed a menu I can order something that I consider healthy and when it arrives guage the portion and eat accordingly no problem. But, if its a full buffet at a party I will grab a little here, a little there and end up overeating by some unknown amount. Does that mean I avoid buffets? Hell no, that means I go to buffets. For a while that means I'm going to be fatter than I should be but eventually I will learn how to control myself in those situations and when that happens I won't have to think about it anymore.

My overall plan is ths. I identify each weakness I have for weight management and one by one I conquer them by meeting them head-on and practicing control. Once I've knocked the last one out then I basically won't have to struggle anymore, maintenance will become more natural...there won't be situations where I tend to lose control.

If instead I tried to avoid absolutely every situation where I might lose control I'd never improve and quite frankly thats impossible so I'd keep failing and beating myself up about it later. Like I said, no way to live.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Now we've turned a corner.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'm reading this thread and I have mixed emotions....

1 - should she really have to eat one everyday JUST to make her HUSBAND feel good and not be considered mean? She is taking stock of her health, she is serious and she shouldn't have to eat what she doesn't just to make someone else feel better?
    2 - is this something to really create distance over? When you talk this out loud it seems crazy to fight with your hubby over what he thought was a nice gift. Explain to him why in a loving way and stick to your guns... He shouldn't feel bad...just make a note not to give food gifts....

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    miteyme wrote: »
    How do I explain to my husband that a box of chocolates is an unsuitable present for a chocoholic overweight wife in the second week of a weight loss diet. Incidently I responded by eating 15 in quick succession before our birthday tea which included a raspberry and cream dessert cake made by his 92 year old mum. The outcome is 1500 Cal daily excess, an exploding tummy and a deep feeling of resentfulness. Help me!

Last year my coworkers and sister gave me WAY too much chocolate. So I'm going to let them know that I appreciate it very much, but Less is More (or something; haven't figured out the exact wording yet.) My SO helped me moderate - he put the box from one of my coworkers in his car and brought it up when he visited me. I put some of the chocolate from my sister in "his" drawer and promptly forgot about it in between visits - I've trained my brain to do that. Another coworker sends me home made treats that I don't even try to moderate - I just hope they arrive on a day when I'm burning lots of calories from shoveling snow.

When I first started I felt like my SO was sabotaging me, but I trained him to schedule high calorie foods like pizza in advance so I could budget for it and we learned that we were satisfied with the 4 ounce mini cups of ice cream instead of the "smalls" at ice cream stands, which are more like 12 oz.

TL; DR - communication! :)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    miteyme wrote: »
    How do I explain to my husband that a box of chocolates is an unsuitable present for a chocoholic overweight wife in the second week of a weight loss diet. Incidently I responded by eating 15 in quick succession before our birthday tea which included a raspberry and cream dessert cake made by his 92 year old mum. The outcome is 1500 Cal daily excess, an exploding tummy and a deep feeling of resentfulness. Help me!

Last year my coworkers and sister gave me WAY too much chocolate. So I'm going to let them know that I appreciate it very much, but Less is More (or something; haven't figured out the exact wording yet.) My SO helped me moderate - he put the box from one of my coworkers in his car and brought it up when he visited me. I put some of the chocolate from my sister in "his" drawer and promptly forgot about it in between visits - I've trained my brain to do that. Another coworker sends me home made treats that I don't even try to moderate - I just hope they arrive on a day when I'm burning lots of calories from shoveling snow.

When I first started I felt like my SO was sabotaging me, but I trained him to schedule high calorie foods like pizza in advance so I could budget for it and we learned that we were satisfied with the 4 ounce mini cups of ice cream instead of the "smalls" at ice cream stands, which are more like 12 oz.

TL; DR - communication! :)

My hubby knows to give me a heads up when he wants pizza. That way I won't get a surprise and can plan the calories in.

I solved the chocolates problem by having a heart to heart to let him know that although I love it that I'm cutting back on calories. Fortunately he started working on losing weight also, so I have a sympathizer now.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    should she really have to eat one everyday JUST to make her HUSBAND feel good and not be considered mean?
    No, not at all. But it's a gift. You "should" say thanks for a gift and then do with it whatever you want.

OP, your DH bought you something while thinking of you - that's what every gift is to me: a physical representation that someone was thinking of me enough to go out and buy something, even if it's not perfect.

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I'm reading this thread and I have mixed emotions....

1 - should she really have to eat one everyday JUST to make her HUSBAND feel good and not be considered mean? She is taking stock of her health, she is serious and she shouldn't have to eat what she doesn't just to make someone else feel better?
    2 - is this something to really create distance over? When you talk this out loud it seems crazy to fight with your hubby over what he thought was a nice gift. Explain to him why in a loving way and stick to your guns... He shouldn't feel bad...just make a note not to give food gifts....

No...she shouldn't "have to do" anything, she is the one in control. If she is not the one in control then its her control issues that are the underlying problem that needs to be dealt with. This one scenario is a symptom of the problem, not the cause.

Thanks for responding. I had to get out of that bad habit. Someone cooked food or baked sweets, and I would feel guilty if I didn't eat it because it would make them mad. I had to learn that I couldn't compromise my goals and my standards to please someone else. I'm sure the OP can have one each day, but if this would blow her whole diet or her goals, then eating even (1) is not good. That might work for someone else, but her, it might be devastating. And again, she shouldn't have to do it, just to make someone else feel good, when it is going against the goals she set for herself.