What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Coconut water. Tastes like sweat in a bottle.

I love coconut flakes / chips though so not sure why the water is so gross lol.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Coconut water...veggie chips (other than potato)...powdered peanut butter...shake mixes (i.e. Isagenix, etc.)...weird oreo flavors...
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Never used to want to buy into the sweet potato fries thing. However had some and now obsessed! Try all these foods guys you'll be surprised.

Used to stay far away from mushrooms and now I love them. You're taste buds change. You probably have a whole new 'set' since last time you tried the food
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Halo ice cream. My sister kept raving on about it and she bought me a pint. It's ok I guess. To me it is kind of salty. I rather have real ice cream. Maybe I should try chocolate.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Fish isn't trendy at all here, just a food people eat, like pork or chicken. But then I lived in AK for a while growing up, so fish was really commonplace.

Fish is only trendy in my area if you caught it yourself and it's bigger than what your fishing buddies caught. :p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Fish. I can't eat fish. Gross.

Fish is trendy??

yeah, it kind of is around my parts. not like a super-trend super-food in its own right, but it's under the shiny omega oil umbrella so it gets some of that. there's definitely a bit of that smug trendoid smirk going on about it. 'look, i'm eating omega 3's, gonna be doing particle physics while you drool in your lap in the nursing home.' i share the earlier poster's revulsion. can't deal with the fish.

and on that note: flax seeds. i've tried them and tried adding them into my shakes but the moment something touches them and outside stuff gets to the oil, they get all rank and bitter-tasting.

Oh, so that's why I keep reading on here that they are bitter. I add ground flax to all kinds of things and find it tasteless enough that I don't even know it there. Things like rice or bean dishes, chili, hummus, etc. But I don't do smoothies.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »
    Quinoa.

I hate the stuff and kale
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Kale is god awful. I don't know how u can break it down. I had it in quesadillas and I felt like I was going to choke on it. :s
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Kale
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Kale is god awful. I don't know how u can break it down. I had it in quesadillas and I felt like I was going to choke on it. :s

Kale quesadilla?? I love kale but that sounds weird. What else was in there? Were the stems removed?
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Kale, don't get it it reminds me of monster skin or something.

I hate that once something becomes trendy it becomes more costly .... Like quinoa ( I add mine to rice, alone it is too much ) and chia ( which I love in brown cow yogurt, makes it like Greek yogurt but not so pastey ), and all sorts of other things.

Fruits and veggies in general, now that vegan ism is trendy are the price of all common foods gonna skyrocket? Although it used to be really hard to be vegetarian, at least that is becoming easier.
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Agave nectar.

I'll take my agave as tequila, please. >:)
  • dbanks80
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

Kale quesadilla?? I love kale but that sounds weird. What else was in there? Were the stems removed?

Black beans, a bit of chicken and some other veggies. It was disgusting.

• Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Fish is trendy??

When you live in coastal Maryland, yeah, it and seafood in general (crabcakes, anyone?) kinda is. Having a fishing license will literally get you special privileges in some areas, and all anyone wants is to show off their best seafood recipes *puke*
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Fish is trendy??

When you live in coastal Maryland, yeah, it and seafood in general (crabcakes, anyone?) kinda is. Having a fishing license will literally get you special privileges in some areas, and all anyone wants is to show off their best seafood recipes *puke*

As a seafood lover living far from the ocean, that sounds wonderful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Fish is trendy??

As a seafood lover living far from the ocean, that sounds wonderful.

Agreed.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Fish is trendy??

Goes to show you how many here read and understand what they are reading lol :)

Rude. Try living on the Chesapeake Bay, within a stone's throw of the national oyster festival among a few dozen other crab and seafood fests, where having a fishing license is a social class -> and then say you're not pressured to eat seafood.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Fish is trendy??

Rude. Try living on the Chesapeake Bay, within a stone's throw of the national oyster festival among a few dozen other crab and seafood fests, where having a fishing license is a social class -> and then say you're not pressured to eat seafood.

"Trendy" != "something one is pressured to do"
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

Fish is trendy??

I lived near the Chesapeake Bay for many years and loved all the fresh seafood. But I can see how someone who doesn't like seafood would not enjoy it much.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I live very close to the ocean and of course sea food is popular but I wouldn't call it trendy as it has always been popular around here, especially the fishing villages