November 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Question and upate on PT Appointment

Ok, so I was advised to not run for 2 weeks to allow my hamstring to rest so it heals faster. :'( The Zero Runner has disappeared from my gym. Apparently, it was just there for a trial period, and I wanted to cry last night when I saw it was gone. So, I was wondering if anyone has substituted using an elliptical or arc trainer during periods of injury where running wasn't possible as part of marathon training? Fortunately, I'm very early on in the training schedule, but I'd really like to keep pushing forward in my training using the elliptical, and felt like that's a little closer to running than a bike. Also, for those that have used it, should I go by time or distance? I don't know how close mileage on an elliptical is to actual running.

So, now for the update. The therapist video'd me running, and from behind, my form was excellent. From a side view, she discovered when pushing off, my leg isn't kicking back far enough. This meant that my hamstrings are being engaged all the time instead of my glutes kicking in, and this is most likely what caused the strain. I do this on both legs, but for whatever reason, the right hamstring is the one that acted up.

So, I've got a bunch of exercises to do, and I can do non-impact cardio and strength training. I see her again tomorrow.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    @AnnyisOK: it's totally a thing!

Link to Rochester, MN Eco-Tri.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal: 50 Mi Run / 50 Mi Walk
    11/1 3.28 mi run 3.28 mi run total
    11/1 1.57 mi walk 1.57 mi walk total
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @shanaber Love the lap lemonade! Probably have to make sure we wear water wings or a flotation belt!

@BEERRUNNER so sad on the zero runner! I have a similar issue, I don't push of and my glutes are weak. That might explain why my hamstrings are always pissed.

My PT update.

Oh pt was fine.... My doc update. Blah blah blah details. I can go back to work 3 days a week. *Shrugs* no one at work bothered to answer their phone. Boss won't even acknowledge my text... :smirk: jeez. That's fine. I'll be at home when they decide to get back to me :wink: dicks

Good thing I'm in for a tri! Use that anger! Haha! And......... I may need a second surgery! But we'll discuss that in February. Poop.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner - I have not used the elliptical for cardio when I have been rehabing an injury as mine have been mostly lower leg injuries and the sports chiro has had me stick to the stationary bike.

@Elise4270 - I can't believe no one has gotten back to you from work - very unprofessional! Heck I had people texting and calling me when I was out multiple times a day... too bad I was mostly incoherent initially but then they stopped calling :) I hope when you get to February they will find that you are stronger than ever and don't need another surgery!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    So, now for the update. The therapist video'd me running, and from behind, my form was excellent. From a side view, she discovered when pushing off, my leg isn't kicking back far enough. This meant that my hamstrings are being engaged all the time instead of my glutes kicking in, and this is most likely what caused the strain. I do this on both legs, but for whatever reason, the right hamstring is the one that acted up.

So, I've got a bunch of exercises to do, and I can do non-impact cardio and strength training. I see her again tomorrow.

@BeeerRunner What exercises is the PT having you do to make your glutes engage?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Possibly too late now (the time difference confuses me), but best of luck to Skip!

@BeeerRunner I used the elliptical to help recover from injury when training for a half and I just went by time, as the distance doesn't seem to be equal in terms of effort, stride length etc. So if my plan said 4 miles, I know that would take me 40-45mins and would cross-train for that amount of time.

@Elise4270 Glad to hear your recovery is going well enough to go back to work, although a potential second surgery must be a bit of a blow. Fingers crossed for you.

Just an easy, uneventful run for me today. Got to get used to running in the dark though now daylight saving has ended :(

November Running Challenge

2nd - 4.05 miles

MTD - 4.05/90 miles

Upcoming races:
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift - what beautiful images :)

1st: 2.25 miles - MTD 2.25
    2nd: 1.18 miles (ETA) treadmill, strength training and Pilates - MTD 4.43

exercise.png
  • Kristen_DeMichele
    Options
    Day 2 11/02/2016
    Total of 3 miles split up into 2 workouts. Workout one was kind of rushed so I only got a mile in, but I literally forced my butt back to the gym at 6:30 PM to finish up those last 2 miles to put me @ my daily goal. It feels so good getting back into the gym routine. I just have to stick with it. The hardest part is getting there, but as long as I can manage just enough motivation to get dressed & go my body will do the rest, and once its over I never regret doing it, as opposed to the regret I'd feel had I skipped the day! Hope you all had great days & got your miles in! :)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I've spent 6 hours so far in the ER with my husband. Not getting out of here any time soon. Not running any time soon. Boohoo wahwah! Feel free to whine along with me @TattooedDolphinGirl78 :D

@kristinegift Lovely pics! We only get a fall that pretty once every few years. This year we're going straight from green to brown.

@Elise4270 Tell that job where to shove it :p
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I've spent 6 hours so far in the ER with my husband. Not getting out of here any time soon. Not running any time soon. Boohoo wahwah! Feel free to whine along with me @TattooedDolphinGirl78 :D

I hope you and/or hubby are okay! I'll definitely join you as of next Tuesday (day of the surgery). :wink:
  • Elise4270
    Options

@kristinegift Lovely pics! We only get a fall that pretty once every few years. This year we're going straight from green to brown.

@Elise4270 Tell that job where to shove it :p

Oh horrible to be in the ER! Hope you'll be home soon. Hope the care is excellent!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Care is good. Just waiting for tests and answers. Maybe Friday I can run off the crazy :#
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I read your posts about training to HR, and I observe my HR varying from one day to the next, on similar runs, where I don't consciously notice much difference in how the run feels. *shrug* There's a weather difference, I may have a difference in how my injury is reacting, there may be differences in how well warmed up I am, and so on. Don't know how to train by HR, so it's interesting reading about how you're learning to do that.

@greenolivetree - Motivation comes, and motivation goes. When motivation is high, it's time to build good habits. When motivation is low, those good habits pull your through the poor motivation. There are times when I find it very hard to get myself out the door for a run; when I'm healthy, I always end up being glad I got out there.

@BeeerRunner - I'm impressed that you're willing to do cardio machines when you can't run. I have a hard time getting myself to use an exercycle for 15 minutes in the PT's office. I tell myself that the physical damage I'm in PT for will be the slowest to heal, and the cardio will come back pretty quickly when the leg lets me run for an hour.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    November Running Totals (miles)
    11/1 – 1.77 easy
    11/2 – 2.09 easy

November total to date – 3.86

Nominal Challenge Goal – 30 miles
    Real Goals: Continue recovery. Complete Race with Grace 10K on Thanksgiving without setting recovery back, even if I have to walk most of it.

Today's notes – The sore leg felt pretty good by noon, but today was mostly a day to do laundry and take care of household maintenance errands. One of those errands was mailing a bill that I couldn't figure out how to pay online. The nearest mailbox is just over a mile away. It was about 60° F (16° C) out, overcast, with minimal wind. A decision was made; I'd run the bill to the mailbox, literally.

Got out to run about 5, and the route to the mailbox took me down a street that had a bunch of commuter traffic. Found myself running a bit slower than normal, which isn't a bad thing for babying an injured leg; but I was running by feel, so that probably should tell me something about how injured the leg was. On the other hand, I managed to run all the way to the mailbox and back. Maybe I should have quit running right at 2 miles, but by that time my driveway looked an awful lot like a finish line. I don't think I did any damage, and the stretching routine got the leg feeling good enough for brisk walking again.

This is 5 days in a row I've run. Logic would say that I need a rest day; but the total distance for those 5 days is under 9 miles. I guess I'll just see how I feel tomorrow and make a decision then.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNF a mile from finish
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
    December 11, 2016 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships 8K (Tallahassee, FL)

2017 races:
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

@BeeerRunner What exercises is the PT having you do to make your glutes engage?

Stan my PT is having me stand on one foot on a foam balance pad, alternating feet every 30 seconds for 5 reps. As well as hip triangles and donkey kicks, which did nothing until I did the foam pad.

@BEERRUNNER I'm interested to know your pt exercises too.
  • jenlatimer
    jenlatimer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2 done
    1.65 miles today

exercise.png
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hey all, my goal for this month is to run more than ever before! I start HM training next week and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Kinda looking forward to it and not so much- been slacking but now it's time to buck up! I know I need to get more sleep and better handle on food/nutrients intake, might need some new running shoes- any other advice for a first timer?
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    ...but my problem is the biking! I am fine with swimming, although I haven't done open water so would definitely need to train for that. But I don't have a bike and am nervous about biking. Wiping out on a bike is a huge fear of mine, plus - my butt hurts just thinking about it.
    Ditto! Not sure about the swimming - I tend to not use my legs very well, so my arms get tired, but the biggest issue is that i never learned to ride a bike. Tried to teach myself a few years ago, and was paranoid about falling. It's not a really big deal when you're 6 or 7. It's a REALLY big deal when you're 50+!