Senior Golden Sneakers..........July, 2011

Options

Replies

• Jake45
    Jake45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys, Barbie and I really appreciate your kind words. Haifa was one of a kind and he and I were buddies. In years past when I was a smoker we'd sit on the front porch together while I had a good cigar. These past few years he was on my lap a lot if I was doing something on the computer. The thing that was most interesting about him was for a few month this last year just before he started down hill on his last big slide. He would get one of the dog's soft toys and have his way with it. As an aside he was neutered at the earliest possible age. It would drive us all crazy because he was very vocal about it. Thinking of him brings up great fodder for stories.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Barbie and Jake - never easy to say good bye to an old friend. It's comforting to know you were there with him as he crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

I have some glorious news to share. For the past couple of days, the scale, which I rarely use, has reported that I am now a "healthy" weight. Admittedly, I'm still at the very top of the healthy range but am proudly no longer over weight. Now if I could just figure out why the on-line calculators are telling me I need a larger bra size than I've ever worn, I'd go shopping.

There's a new post on an MFP friend's blog today that is worth reading. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Cornmuffin/view/weeks-later-124334

It was cool enough this morning for the dogs and I to walk 1.6 miles before breakfast without collapsing. We're half way through the morning and it's just 77 degrees but (the dew point is 72 - 87%) very muggy. We had a lovely rain over night and everything is green and sparkly today. We walk along a county road that is seldom used by general traffic. As a matter of fact, a car or truck on the road is enough to get the dogs to barking and howling. It was so pretty today. While I hate bind weed in the garden, its beautiful, white, trumpet shaped flowers help to hide some of the trash. Alongside are the purple flowers of thistle, milkweed and Spiderwort, the colorful black-eyed-susans and orange day lilies, the blue shades of chicory and wild petunias, wild asters and so many other gifts from Mother Nature.

Today is the last day that I will be 69-years old. Tomorrow I'll slide, gracefully I hope, into my 70s. I can't believe it. Inside I still feel and think like a 30-year old. These changes into a new decade are always dramatic. I remember well turning 40, reaching 50, achieving 60 and now a new reality. Wish me luck.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: tip8rb, I turned 60 in January. I feel like 30 also. It is a matter of how you think. And, if you think young, you will look it. As to your bra size...they may be sizing them differently. I know that jeans are. I have heard that most women wear a bra that is too small.

Jake, hang on to those memories. They are precious.:heart:
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Barbie, and Jake, so sorry to hear that Haifa has passed. Thank you for being responsible pet parents and doing what is best for your pet. I enjoyed your story about finding Haifa, and yes, you certainly did give him 16 years as a family member.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Still waiting for results. Hopefully I'll hear on Friday. We've been very busy so that helps but time drags on.

zc3DC.jpg
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hello Gals:

Barbie & Jake: So sorry to hear about your cat but you did have some wonderful years. :brokenheart:

Day 3 not eating between meals. My stomach is making noises but according to the book that is detoxification. :tongue:
    Not getting shaky because I am eating really good food. At least four fruits a day and lots and lots of salad and veges.
    I am supposed to eat only meat or fish once a week. I don't think that will happen because I am a meat eater.
    Hunter and gatherer.:tongue: But what I am going to do is cut down on the meat to only one meal a day.
    Skip the meat in my soups etc. and salads and just add more veges. I am using more beans in salad etc and
    adding avocado. You are suppose to lose a lb a day. So far I have lost 2. Wish me luck !!
    This is really a challenge for me. Takes two weeks to break a
    habit.:tongue:

Doctor appt. today and my ADL was down and my LDL is not low enough for him since I am Type 2 diabetic.
    I hate these statistics. :mad: He put me on a new blood pressure med because they don't make mine anymore.
    So trying this tomorrow, here's hoping no side effects. I was also weighed and my scale and his was
    only out a pound and this is after breakfast so I was happy. :happy:
    Next appt. in October so I hope some better results.

Now finishing laundry and ironing so I will start packing for the weekend. Jimmy Buffet concert in Toronto and we
    are sailing over again.

I did 55 mins walking this morning down by the river and I had to wipe off my legs because it was so warm.

Have a great day today!!
  • fancyladyJeri
    Options
    Barbie said:
    Today has been a sad day. .

I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I still mourn for our dog and it has been a long time. Everytime I see a Golden Retriever run, my heart aches.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Jeri What a peceful looking town. i bet you loed it there. What kind of tree is that behind you. It look like a all tree and you in a Jacket too..We are waitin with you on your results. it will be good news, i just now it. God bless you.

Got to run. Opray is having something about diets on her show in 5 minutes and got go potty befoe that.
    love Marie
  • debzwill
    debzwill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Barbie and Jake, Iam so sorry for your loss of Haifa. They may be called ' pets' but they are our family. You gave her many loving years:heart:

Jeri: we are all waiting with you. I love your photo. You look fantastic. Where is it taken?:flowerforyou:

I have been very busy these past few days, with more to come. On Saturday I was at work in the morning, then had lunch with the kids and kids in the garden, then in the evening went for a meal with my 3 sisters. On Sunday, we went to wedding. On Monday I wa strying to catch up with housework. Tuesday we went to an awards eveing at my youngest daughters school. She was awarded the achievement award in Dance. Then they had buffet etc after. Today I have been to the hospital with my friend for her breast check. The lump turned out to be a 'fatty lump', so we were very happy.:happy: We went to pizza hut to celebrate. Naughty I know. I think I am a lost cause :cry: Tomorrow my eldest daughter is 30!!!! We are going to a chinese restaurant with all the family. ( I can't believe she is 30. I agree with Connie, I still feel that age myself):laugh: Friday I am looking after my grandkids and Saturday we are having a family/friends barbeque for her birthday also. The weather has turned and not looking good, so we may be all squashed indoors. Never mind, we'll still have fun.

Sandy::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I did laugh out loud too. How did your shopping trip go? What do you mean by a coach? I have not opened 2 windows, so can't remember exactly what it was, sorry.

Connie: That is fantastic news. The weight loss, not the bra:tongue: What about some before and after pics? WISHING YOU A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW CONNIE:flowerforyou: :drinker:

Marie: I love reading your posts. Stay cool.:flowerforyou:

Buzz: You take care of yourself, please:flowerforyou:

Shirley: Sounds like you had a great time on holiday. Welcome back. Good luck with the new diet:flowerforyou:

Becky: I love the water. My dad taught me and my sisters to swim in the sea. We all love to swim but hate getting into our costumes. We all struggle with our weight. I am thinking of joining aqaurobics if I can pluck up the courage.:blushing:

I am sorry if I have missed anyone. I have only opened 1 window and can't remember all the posts.

As I am out tomorrow evening, straight from work for this meal, I doubt that I will be able to logon. So I will speak to you all later.

Nite Nite
    Deb:heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Gosh did not get to see opray show for we had a construction job accident here in our area. A a contruction worker fell in a 60 ft shaft hole. and the tv news devoted all the time to his rscue. One thing I learn Our firemen are a brave bunch of brave heros as they are all over the world. They risk their lives because it is there job and they care. They got hin out of there in 30 minutes. and sems Ok. Last I heard. Opray show was about WW. or at least WW gave away free 1 year service to join WW. On lt seen the last 5 minutes. of it.Poor firemen was in all of their Gear in this heat of 102 this afternoon.
    Deb so glad to her from you. I do my food chart some but mostly I don't . It bugs me looking up all those numbers. But it is a nice features. glad to know it is there if I want to used it.
    I am missing GIGI. isn't she about due back in USA soon.?

Connie....... I am having problems staying log in on Facebook. Alice tried a few thing out on it but to no success. I don't mind signing in the first thing but get ready to say something it make me log in again.Sometimes over and over again. . She will be out Sunday and will let her try Some other things. if she can thank of anything also Photo bucket do the same thing sometime.But not as much as Facebook. This has been going on a long time.Any sugestions?
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Whin I lost another post. I know what I did i forgot to hit the reply button befor I move on to something el I'll do it every time.I wasn't important so will catch youguys in the morning..
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Shirley, how long will you be able to live on that diet? Losing a pound a day sounds like a lot. Are you concerned that you will easily gain those pounds back once you begin to eat meat more often? Good luck on this diet.

:flowerforyou: Deb, it is so good to see you posting here. Hope that you will be able to visit more often soon. Love to read your replies to all of us. You are so encourageing. How do you feel about having a child turn 30? My oldest is in his 40s. Wow, does that ever make me feel old.

:flowerforyou: Jeri, beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing it with us. You look so relaxed and happy.

:flowerforyou: CALIECAT, if you learn any diet secrets from that show please share with us.:smile:

Thinking about heading off to shower and then to bed. It is only 8:00 PM but I have to get up at 4:00. I have been using the weekends to catch up on my sleep but just about this time of the work week, I begin to feel worn out.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Ha Becky I I did not get to see it. we had an constuction accident in our area while it was on and the news came on to tell us about it. A man fell into a 30 in. hole that they had drilled. 60 feet down. so we did learn that the firmen are all a brave bunch of guys. They did get the guy out after about 30 minutes and he seems Ok. . They flew him out on care flight to the hospital. But they took up all of opray show. Did get to see about 5 minutes and seems like it was promoting WW. Which is a wonderful program. They also had a car chase on about the same time but miss all of it. Our TV stations seems to like to get invole in a car chase too and take us away from our local chanels. We seems to have about one a week..
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    I will reply tomorrow to all the posts that were written today but for now I have two jokes that made me laugh out loud.

For Older People

| While on a road trip, an elderly couple stopped
    |
    | at a roadside restaurant for lunch.
    |
    | After finishing their meal, they left the
    |
    | restaurant, and resumed their trip.

| When leaving, the elderly woman unknowingly
    |
    | left her glasses on the table, and she didn't
    |
    | miss them until they had been driving for
    |
    | about forty minutes.

|
    | By then, to add to the aggravation, they
    |
    | had to travel quite a distance before
    |
    | they could find a place to turn around,
    |
    | in order to return to the restaurant to
    |
    | retrieve her glasses.
    |
    |
    | All the way back, the elderly husband
    |
    | became the classic grouchy old man.
    |
    | He fussed and complained, and scolded
    |
    | his wife relentlessly during the entire
    |
    | return drive. The more he chided her,
    |
    | the more agitated he became.
    |

| He just wouldn't let up for a single minute.
    |
    | To her relief, they finally arrived at the restaurant.
    |
    | As the woman got out of the
    |
    | car, and hurried inside to retrieve her
    |
    | glasses, the old geezer yelled to her,
    |
    | " While you're in there, you might as well
    |
    | get my hat and the credit card."
    |
    | This coming week is National Senior Mental
    |
    | Health Week. You can do YOUR part by
    |
    | remembering to contact at least one
    |
    | unstable Senior to show you care.

I have now done MY part.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    TRIP TO ITALY

A young New York woman was so depressed that she decided to end her life by throwing herself into the ocean, but just before she could throw herself from the docks, a handsome young man stopped her.

"You have so much to live for," said the man. "I'm a sailor, and we are off to Italy tomorrow. I can stow you away on my ship. I'll take care of you, bring you food every day, and keep you happy."

With nothing to lose, combined with the fact that she had always wanted to go to Italy , the woman accepted. That night the sailor brought her aboard and hid her in a small but comfortable compartment in the hold. From then on, every night he would bring her three sandwiches, a bottle of red wine, and make love to her until dawn. Three weeks later she was discovered by the captain during a routine inspection.

"What are you doing here?" asked the captain.

"I have an arrangement with one of the sailors," she replied. "He brings me food and I get a free trip to Italy ."

"I see," the captain says.

Her conscience got the best of her and she added, "Plus, he's screwing me."

"He certainly is," replied the captain.

This is the Staten Island Ferry."
  • Sandydur
    Options
    I lied one more:

After dating for several months, a girl asks her boyfriend to come

over Friday night to meet, and have a dinner with her parents, with

whom she still lives.

Since this is such a big event, the girl announces to her boyfriend

that after dinner, she would like to go out and make love for the

first time.

The boy is ecstatic, but he has never had sex before, so he takes a

trip to the drug store to get some condoms.. He tells the pharmacist

it's his first time and the pharmacist helps the boy for about an

hour. He tells the boy everything there is to know about condoms and

sex.

At the register, the pharmacist asks the boy how many condoms he'd

like to buy, a 3-pack, 10-pack, or family pack.

The boy insists on the family pack because he thinks he will be

rather busy, it being his first time and all.

That night, the boy shows up at the girl's parents house and meets

his girlfriend at the door.

"Oh, I'm so excited for you to meet my parents, come on in!"

The boy goes inside and is taken to the dinner table where the

girl's parents are seated.

The boy quickly offers to say grace and bows his head. A minute

passes, and the boy is still deep in prayer, with his head down.

10 minutes pass, and still no movement from the boy.

Finally, after 20 minutes with his head down, the girlfriend leans

over and whispers to the boyfriend, 'I had no idea you were this

religious.'

The boy turns, and whispers back,

'I had no idea your father was a pharmacist!
  • fancyladyJeri
    Options
    MARIE, DEB & BECKY --  I am sitting on a bench on the 8th Avenue Mall in downtown Calgary. It is a pedestrian mall, cars are only allowed at night. It is fairly early so not too many people are about. You can see people dressed in western apparel because everyone is encouraged to do so for the full  ten days of the Calgary Stampede. No suits or ties.  The flowers look like they are part of a tree but actually they are a hanging begonia. The flowers are just beautiful downtown this year.  We were down with my husband's cousin and his wife showing our city off to them before they head home to Nova Scotia.   It was fun, free pancake breakfast, square dancing in the street, native Indian dancing, a hat stomp, people all dressed up, etc., etc.

And thanks for the compliments, I was having a good time. 
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm so sorry that I haven't been a very good MFP friend! Life has gotten busy with the two college kids home for summer!
    Hope all is well with everyone! I haven't even gotten a chance to read the July postings... so sorry!!!!

Trying to keep on the straight and narrow, but it's so hard with the kids home! My daughter is like me... loves to bake so in the past three nights, she has made apple pie, chocolate chip cookies and banana bread! Ugh! And my oldest son 6'2" 250 lbs gorilla, oh I mean, boy in a man body... is not happy with my low calorie meals... so I am making much more rice and pasta... which I can't resist! So trying to run and or walk more!

I will try and be better! Off to bed!!!! xoxoxo to all of you!

L
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thank you, Sandy, for the great jokes.

:heart: :heart: :heart: thank you everyone for the kind words and thoughts about Haifa.......I know many of you are pet lovers and consider your pets family just like we do :bigsmile: I know you have gone through this sadness.:sad: someone told me that the only way to avoid this sadness is to never love another pet and of course, how could we live without our pets.

:bigsmile: the good news is that we got two offers to buy our house and have accepted one of them and have made an offer on a house that we really like and will know tomorrow if the offer has been accepted.

:bigsmile: Connie, congratulations on getting your weight into the healthy range

:bigsmile: congratulations, Shirley, on your successful weight loss with your new program

:flowerforyou: jeri, your picture is lovely.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: more tomorrow, I'm half asleep already.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: momtozmc, I don't envy you having to feel a 6'2" son. He would certainly need a lot of food.:noway:

:flowerforyou: Jeri, your Calgary Stampede sounds like a lot of fun.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, that one is hilarious. :laugh:

It is finally cooling off a bit here in Ohio. At least until this weekend.