WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Hey all. Wow. I woke up stressed about voting today and got one phone call and my stress is on something that makes the election seem small.
    I got a call from the breast center where I went for my mammogram. I have to go back in for more pictures and an ultrasound. I couldn't schedule an early morning like last time, because my own doctor needs to be there as does the radiologist. They want some one to come with me and they said it will take a little longer than last time, because they want me to wait for the results and talk to my doctor. *sigh*
    This is probably nothing, right? I am a little freaked out right now. My DH is a MAJOR worrier. I will have to tell him and have him go with me, but I don't want to tell him. I don't think I will get the optimistic support I want/need. I think I will be comforting him and trying to calm him down. KJ (kelly)
    :/

My thoughts and prayers are with you on this journey. I have been through this numerous times since having a scare back in 2006. Ending with surgery for a precancerous milk duct (there's a fancy name but it escapes me). Every time we move I have to track down all my records and films. Each new doctor handles the situation differently. Last year I had my regular mammogram, ultra sound pics AND MRIs! The hubs and I were besides ourselves. Bottom line is try and not stress out as best you can. It is better to be sure about the situation with extra diligence on the doctors part. Wishing you the best.

I am a month behind on my mammo because I have been putting off looking for a new gyno in our new area. Tomorrow we both have physicals with a new physician and will get a recommendation from them. Over due on my colonoscopy too. Ugh!

Cheri
    watching voting results while drinking Tension Tamer tea.....

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I have to ask. Is your cake nine inches tall, or nine inches in circumference? :huh:

KJJ: I would be stressed, too. I hope that everything turns out well. :heart:

Gloria: We vote for judges in Oregon, too. None were on the ballot this time. :flowerforyou:

madelinerocha: Welcome to a great group. You've set goals that seem very appropriate. :smiley:

Sue in WA: My DH is also diabetic. I've called the paramedics due to insulin reactions twice since we've been here. He's been doing well lately. I know how stressful this can be. (((HUGS)))

Our son is in Virginia and watching election results. We are in Oregon and the polls haven't closed. I hope they don't broadcast here before 8pm when the polls do close. We vote by mail or take our ballots to a drop box for all elections, so my ballot was in the box several days ago. DH doesn't want to watch the TV results & it is off. I have a meeting tonight.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Been another rainy day, three in a row. We got a lot of chores done around the house. I even did some ironing!!!
    Sending heAling thought to all who are in pain, recovering or facing health care decisions.
    Weigh in tomorrow but not to optimistic this week.
    See you all tomorrow.
    SueBDew
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    <3KJ, Sending hugs to you as you wait for the special mammogram....this is the time to use every stress reduction technique you have in your arsenal...breathing, meditation, staying in the moment, reading, listening to music.

<3 Barbie
  • nocandew
    nocandew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow - this is active group of awesome ladies, I look forward to getting to know you. I like that you keep track of each other and lend support - I will do my best to do the same. Just keeping up with the comings and goings here will help me log my food which I find really helps me lose. I am happy, I have made really good progress since July of 2015, I can shop in regular sizes now which may not seem like a big deal, but it's a pretty big deal when I'm used to being the biggest person I know. And I never really thought I was that big...that is denial! Anyhow...I was reading that Southern Sue was looking for sitting down exercises to rev up the metabolism. That metabolism thing really messes with us, my doctor continues to talk about it and try and push me to the gym to get it going again. She suggested I try more cardio than weights for that purpose but I notice that when I work with weights it gets my heart rate going and me out of breath faster than the treadmill. What about the stationary bike, would that work for you?

I like that you all post goals too...so I will do one goal for November - and it will be that I will stop by here each day to get to know you.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    welcome nocandew. Glad that you will be joining this supportive group of ladies. Let us know what you would like to be called, where you're from. Sounds like you are well on your way in getting trim and healthy.

Had a great day at work. No matter the election results, it is a privilege to vote in a free society, I feel blessed to be a citizen of this great, yet imperfect country. (insert proud emoji here)

NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 14.59min, 11.7amph, 131mhr, 2.9mi= 100c
    SKI MACHINE- 35min, 136mhr, 125ahr, 6incl, 44resist, 1.75mi = 300c
    ride gym 2 dome- 9.09min, 9.4amph, 143amhr, 1.4mi = 80c
    walk station 2 wk- 11.15min, 3.8amph, 110mhr, .7mi = 64c
    walk wk 2 station- 7.55min, 3.7amph, 114mhr, .4mi = 51c
    ride dome 2 hm- 23.03min, 6.7amph, 149mhr, 2.5mi = 210c
    total cal 741
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    KJ, I have also had those worrisome times when I am asked to come back for additional films. Each time, some part of my anatomy has created a shadow. But I understand that even though many of us have had those alarms, no one knows how you feel but you. Big hugs.

Sue, most of the fluids that are given during/after procedures are just normal saline or salt water. But the doctor can order actual dextrose or sugar water in different concentrations for special cases like a diabetic who hasn't had ay meds or nutrition all day. Also a doctor can have a syringe full of very concentration of dextrose.

Enjoying my Tiny house luxury. I have never watched this particular show. Others are either people trying to build it themselves or other companies. But this company puts the luxury touches in and a whole bunch more. The involvement of the family members building is neat also. It is builder and his wife along with her two brothers and their wives. I do go to my iPad and check on the election.

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Did about 45 minutes of a walk fast, run, recover workout on the treadmill. I cut my workout short because I wanted to be sure I had time to stretch, take a "wash off the sweat" shower, and get to my DEXA scan. We have a Newcomer general meeting tomorrow so the plan is to do a bosu DVD. After the meeting there's going to be a workshop where I'm going to learn (hopefully) to make those real big bows. Another gal is doing a workshop on those chicken-wire decorations. Vince was going to take it, but then decided not to. After you make it -- where do you store it?

After exercising and my DEXA scan, stopped at Ross'. Usually, I'm not that crazy about their items. But I did find a tree skirt that I thought was elegant looking. If the one I have doesn't work out, we'll use this one. I can return it in 30 days with the receipt

Kim - sometimes I think I'm addicted to logging my food and exercising. Well...there are worse things I could be addicted to

Gloria - what kind of things did you find were high in carbs that surprised you?

Sherry - I'm excited for you and your new digs

Lisa - about the election: I haven't talked to one single person who can't wait for it all to be over. Why can't we be more like Canada whose longest election in recent years lasted 11 weeks. Or Japan whose campaigns last just 12 days? One thing I did find out this morning, and this I never knew was the reason why elections are held on a Tuesday (not on a weekend like you might think). That's a throwback to years and years ago. Sunday was the Sabbath, people had to travel to where they voted so that shot Monday, so that's why the voting is on a Tuesday. Also, it's in early November because that's when the harvest was over and the bad weather hadn't started yet. Interesting thought about the calories. But I don't think it's legal to advertise a much much lower calorie count, but I could be wrong. But they do say that a lot of the "low fat" stuff really isn't all that it's cracked up to be, just makes you want more. And artificial sweeteners confuse the body so when you do have the real thing it says "woohhhh"

Alison - what piece of equipment are you buying the vet's office?????lol On the serious side, I'm so sorry about Homer

Carol - did you see the article I posted about the wine? Got that from Hungry Girl

Charleen - hemorrhoids can be painful, I know. I had a hemmorrhoidectomy quite a while ago. One thing the office told me to was to have a bit (like tablespoon) of mineral oil. Helps to "lubricate" the poops so they "slide" out. Sorry if that TMI for people

Joyce - perhaps you should take your nephew up on his offer. If anything, you'll find out how sincere he is.

A friend just showed me a post she received. It said "America is in labor right now. In a few hours we'll know if it's a boy or a girl"

KJ - I've had to go back for ultrasound from my mammo but my doctor never had to be there. Please keep us informed as to what happens.

Becca - what a ray of sunshine you are! You never cease to put a smile on my face (I'm referring to men in (cough) uniform

I don't know why, but lately I've been thinking a lot about Sylvia and her son. Does anyone know how things are with her?

Maddl - welcome. Just jump right in, you started at a good spot, now keep coming back

Sue in WA - that must have been so scary with your dh

Re - impressive weight loss and "shaping"

Michele in NC
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Been awhile since I have checked in. Life has been busy and took some time away from technology to work on me and get back to basics and look at what is really important in my life and what wasn't. In a good place. So happy to see so many new people and of course all of you that were here when a left for a bit. Still on maintenance and doing well there also.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :) Three of you responded to my offer to have a copy of "Strong Women Stay Young" sent to you...if anyone else would like a copy, please send me a personal message with your contact information....it's a great book for anyone who wants to start strength training and doesn't know what to do.

<3 Barbie
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Good evening, lovelies!

Allie, Wishing the best for Homer and you.
    APG91 "...tying my shoes are becoming more difficult, and I'm always out of breath...."
    Agree with Katla, it is important to find activities I LOVE, like dancing and being in the water. Was never able to stick with an exercise program (hated it). Now that I'm retired I'm in water fitness or zumba classes 4 days a week, and usually a weekly line dance class too! Good thing as my daily step count average plummeted after leaving work ;{ Haven't yet found the magic key to night snacking ... yet... ;) Will try some of NYKAREN's ideas.
    Barbie Great gratitude, great idea about teaching/calling without dancing.
    NYKAREN, couldn't agree more. When my mama was a girl, women didn't even have the right to vote. People have fought and died giving us this right. Even when the choices are Hobson's, I never miss. And it sure gets more people voting locally, where the real governing is done ;}
    DJ Janet#1 "I hope that whoever wins will do a good job for our Country and try to unite us once again." DITTO!
    KJ Thoughts with you. Hope its possible for your DH to step up and be there for you, but you know him best.
    Joyce Maybe the nephew could spell your daughter for a weekend visit? Does anything help calm Charlie's anxiety?
    Katla thanks for asking Heather about the 9 inches, looking forward to her answer ;)

Couple of awful food days, glad I have to stop eating tonight for labs tomorrow. Will prep broccoli salad and put chicken sweet potato onion curry in crockpot tomorrow am to have something high protein to fuel line dancing.

Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD who is happy to be here.
    Intentions:
    Smile then listen
    Today: Log like Mary MSH, every bite lick or sip whether over, under or sidewise. . . EVERY day ;}
    November: Strength Training 3 days/week. Zumba, H20 Fit or Line Dance Class 4 times/week.
    Nov-Dec-Jan: Vitamin D 3 x day.

Log: 100%
    Cardio: G/S, B/H20/LD, G/B/AZ, Z, 0, G, H20, S
    Strength: 0, non-legs, legs, 1/2 non-legs, 0, 0, 1, 0
    Vit 'D': x x 100% 100% 100% 100% 66%*, 66%*
    *2/day but 1 is doublestrength
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I don't think Charlie would ever allow a doctor to order something foot his anxiety. His Mom was paranoid schizophrenic and back in those days they gave shock treatments and then heavy sedatives. He remembers his Mom in that condition. Now he knows that the last, I don't know how many years, he has seen his Mom as a active member in today's society. But he would never take anything. Also when I think about his ejection of him being a veteran, he has a low self esteem. If he doesn't get applause when he is out singing at karaoke, he sometimes gets in a tiff and comes home. He has always thought he had a high forehead and is always trying to measure it or saying he has a small cranial capacity since he wears a smaller cowboy hat. It doesn't help that as an RN I made more than twice his salary and both of our girls are. Ow making more than he was making when he quit. I know we all like compliments but he questions when some one says something nice about him because he doesn't believe them.
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Thinking positive thought, Kelly.

Lois
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Too stress to focus glad my husband has the car cause if I did it maybe an ice cream run. But there isn't going to be . So bed.
    Liz
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    :o
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :star::heart: :star:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,816 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    well I was awoke at 2:30 this morning from Tom saying Homer was having trouble pooping, so mom to the rescue.. had to clean him up and get scissors and cut around the back of him.. so gee why go back to bed.. amazed at who one the presidency.. will not spoil it for people that don't know...
    have a load of laundry in the wash.. and dont have to go to work until 10:30
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3