WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    :)Kim, I am reading "The Summer I Dared"--about half way through and I love it...thank you for your suggestion....the author has written many other books so I'll probably try her others, too....some of them are in audio book format at my library.

<3 Barbie
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article in Eat This Not That titled 12 Ways to Fight a Slow Metabolism as You Age. Actually discusses the eating at bedtime issue and talks about the importance of snacking to keep your metabolism going. www.eatthis.com/metabolism-and-aging

Gloria meditating in WA yoga-exercise-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Janetr - wolf whistle birthday girl! mouth-whistle-smiley-emoticon.gif

Kim - so glad to hear you are going to be with friends this year. Hope you have a wonderful time! <3

Barbie - isn't that the way it always happens. You can wait all day for a phone call, package to arrive, etc. and the minute you step out or into the other room - is when the phone rings or there's a knock on the door! :/

Anne-Margaret - just can't hear that name without a picture of that hunk Roger Smith popping up in my mind :p

Becca - how wonderful for you and DH! He'll be driving right past Pip, me, and others who are all south east of Whidbey. BTW Whidbey Island has the best wild low growing blackberries around. They are like a ground cover. Here's a funny story about a trip we made there one year. We had 4 kids in the car and someone had to 'GO' so we stopped at this little store to use the facilities. The key was on this big wooden paddle about 12" long. We got about a mile away and found out that one of the kids had forgotten to take the paddle back to the office and had it in the back seat. I always wondered what the people thought when they realized the paddle was gone along with the key. :s

DJ - I think I might like Florida except for the alligators/crocks, humidity and hurricanes! When it's 60 during the day here we get out the suntan lotion! And thanks I am all better - just one of those one day wonders (you wonder where it came from) B)

I finally got into to see a doctor today and went back on an antidepressant. I had just gone off shortly before my mother died and the timing couldn't have been worse. When I started having crying jags and being mad for any/no reason I knew I had to go back on. I already feel more in control of myself just because I know relief is coming. My doctor and I both decided this is probably not a good time for me to be looking for a job as it's just adding stress to an already stressful situation. I've never seen this doctor before and she was awesome. Explained to me exactly what depression does physiologically to your mind and body. I just wanted to give her a big HUG! I actually think I feel a smile coming on - a feeling I haven't had for quite a while.

Gloria feeling grateful for doctors who listen . . . and drugs doctor-smiley-face.gif
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Glo - I had a doctor that listened the last time I was in too, isn't it great? Glad you are headed in the right direction.

Kim
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,514 Member
    Options
    11/05/16
    At CPA's was shocked to learn we'll owe $$ in income taxes this year, and must pay by Dec 31 not Apr 15.
    Owing due overlap Soc Security starting while I was still working. Dec 31 since withholding stopped with my employment. Thought surely the withholding would have covered it... alas not so. Gonna have to reel in that retail therapy... ;} And next year, will have them withhold xx% from our IRA distributions. Another budget bump!

Zumba was great, very sweaty, even managed to bounce a few times. Is it possible I might be able to hop or jump one day?

Its 12:03 here now so happy Bday JanetR!

Off to zzz, good night, lovelies.

Hugs,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD who is happy to be here.
    Intentions:
    Smile then listen
    Today: Log like Mary MSH, every bite lick or sip whether over, under or sidewise. . . EVERY day ;}
    November: Strength Training 3 days/week. Zumba, H20 Fit or Line Dance Class 4 times/week.
    Nov-Dec-Jan: Vitamin D 3 x day.

Log: 100%
    Cardio: G/S, B/H20/LD, G/B/AZ, Z,
    Strength: 0, non-legs, legs, 1/2 non-legs
    Vit D: x x 100% 100%
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Sale day - and then dump day... whatever doesn't sell will be sorted into donate and dump, and the dump pile will head straight for the landfill. The "donate" will probably go to El Buen Vecino, a local charity, or one of the Catholic charities that serve the community. I offered the ministerial alliance the chance to come in at noon and take anything they thought they could use for their purposes, but they never answered the e-mail. Oh well.

Up far too early, and will pay for that later, but got a few things yet to clean and need to make sure it's all priced. Will be extremely happy if we simply get rid of everything, less to deal with after.

Love y'all,
    Happy Saturday
    Lisa in cool, misty West Texas
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    up before the birds .... getting the house spick and span before his highness comes home.. already cleaned the stovetop..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    becca I am with you on the joys of choosing to celebrate anyway you want. Some years I like the traditional and then sometimes I could care less! This year DH DD and I are headed for a non traditional thanksgiving- we're thinking either Moroccan or Indian for the big day!!! So happy that you son will be visiting in December, that is a real gift :)

Glo loved the article about metabolism. I am going to try more protein after work, before dinner to see if it will slow me down and not just over eat at dinner and all the nibbling I do when I clean up after! I am eating too many calories late in the day. Glad that your doc listened and responded to your needs. Hope you're feeling better soon <3

Well instead of running the NYC marathon, DH and our friends are having a NYC dumping marathon! Crazy right? We will be sampling dumplings from Brooklyn, manhattan and queens today :# there will be plenty of walking and sightseeing in between and the idea is to just sample dumplings, not overeat all day. Should be fun, as long as I drink plenty of water in between and log every bite!

Have a peaceful Saturday everyone. NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Back safe and sound from London. :) Nice to be home. The house looked AMAZING when I got in. DH and my cleaner had done an incredible job. Even my utility room looked pristine! I don't know what she's done with my towering pile of freezer boxes, but they have disappeared! Not a thing out of place, anywhere. :D
    The couple who saw it said it was "very much food for thought" - so that's encouraging. It was the most horrible, rainy day for viewing. They want to know who owns the fields front and back.

Going to take it easy today. Last night's meal was lovely and my friends very much approved of the venue and the excellent service. I had Steak Tartare and Escargots. :D<3 No bread. Didn't mop up all the garlic butter. :noway:
    Going to have a much needed alcohol free day today. o:) Cauliflower Frittata for dinner. I had too many calories yesterday, so got to be extra good for a day or so. But I didn't do badly for a day with two posh meals out and a long journey.

Talked the with DH about my cancer friend. That helped. His beloved last partner died of breast cancer, nursed in their own home, so he knows all about it. I will make a date to go up to see her soon.

Go Pip! Yeah! :drinker:

DJ - There are many original features in the house from the 1920s - fireplace, staircase, windows, doors. I love that. It is one of my favourite eras and our furniture will fit in perfectly. We need to rearrange the back of the house as the kitchen is long and thin and separate. There is also a horrible small conservatory. We will probably extend and knock something through. I had thought we would have to do that immediately, or before we move in, but we have decided not to give ourselves the stress straight away. It is perfectly liveable, just not to today's taste. I think we can get away with something a bit less disruptive than my first impression. It also needs a downstairs lavatory and a utility. The house could also do with rewiring and possibly new heating. A lot of work, but I want to move in and enjoy next summer by the beach. B)
    The important thing is the location and the attractiveness of the house. Plus parking for two cars!!!

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Just taken a photo of the floor plan.
    Of course I have to remember this is not a done deal. The vendor could, and may, withdraw at any time and there is always a long chain. :#

bm5593f3zl6b.jpg

Heather UK
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Gloria wrote. "Janetr - wolf whistle birthday girl!"

Lol Thanks, Gloria, yep I'm 67 today. I told Jack that I feel many years younger today than I did three years ago, pre 125 pound weight loss. Thanks, sweetie.

Janetr okc

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Saturday! Just heading out to do my shopping/errand run. Quick note to a couple of people.
    Janet- Sorry your exploration of Savannah is delayed. Do you have plans for today? Tybee Island is probably a 15-20 drive from Savannah and is a wonderful little island to explore. Cute stores and restaurants. A marine life rescue/viewing place (Tybee Island Marine Science Center), lighthouses to explore, a museum (pirate history). Lots of parks etc. Just a thought.
    Heather- I am so excited for you and this new home. I imagine it is hard to keep a conservative thought knowing that the process could stall or simply not happen. Fingers crossed. Glad you have your DH to talk to about your friend. <3
    Newgirls- Welcome! Great group here. I am one of the newer ones; having just joined last January. Lots of support and advice from these ladies. You will find that we chat a lot, but we all know that logging, making healthy food choices, and exercise are the key, but you can't forget how important your mental balance is to a healthy life. These ladies are FANTASTIC at that aspect.
    Gotta run girls! Love and hugs to you all! you are always in my thoughts!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    OMG! Janet- Happy birthday! Had it in my mind all week and totally forgot when I sat down to read and post! Happiest of days to you!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    655839jvtpsrkh28.gif
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

I have decided I don't really care for using my tablet to check in here. Or maybe I just don't feel like learning It!

Oh well, coffee and off and running for the day.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    jh86qy7fncw4.jpg
    My DS, DGS, and DS 's fiancée. Fun times!
  • kevrit
    Options
    us88xe0ugg9d.jpg
    My DD #2
  • kevrit
    Options
    Cool! Figured out how to post pictures using my phone! Little camera at top of where you type posts. You can take new pic or find some on your phone.

Rita from CT
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Happy birthday dear JANETR, Happy birthday to youoooooohhhh! :drinker:
    <3<3<3

Heather UK