How to talk to those who think I have lost enough and am getting too thin

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I've started getting this recently. I just smile and nod and move along.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Say oh ok and smile

And do what you want to

I didn't get this a lot, but that's basically what I did.

Oh, you think so? Thanks!

Or "you aren't trying to lose weight, are you? You don't want to get too thin." Me: "I'm just working on fitness."

Really, why do you owe them more details than that, OP?

If someone asked me my weight I'd laugh and say "seriously? I don't tell people what I weight" or otherwise jokingly brush it off and change the subject.
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    When I lost weight, and folks thought it was too much and I should stop (It wasn't ever too much) I'd say: I see me naked. I see the number on the scale. I got it. Thanks.

LOVE THIS!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ That is so me, even though I didn't come up with it.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Been there. I just say "I'm good, thanks!" , smile, & do my thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Are you talking about your weight loss, etc to other people? I ask because I've rarely if ever seen this happen unsolicited...the only time I've ever had anyone make a comment like that was when I was like, "I'd really like to drop another 5-10 Lbs" and then I'd get the whole, "you don't need to lose anymore weight" or "from where" thing...otherwise, nobody ever said anything really except the occasional, "you're looking fit."
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    edited November 2016
    Ruatine wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are you talking about your weight loss, etc to other people? I ask because I've rarely if ever seen this happen unsolicited...the only time I've ever had anyone make a comment like that was when I was like, "I'd really like to drop another 5-10 Lbs" and then I'd get the whole, "you don't need to lose anymore weight" or "from where" thing...otherwise, nobody ever said anything really except the occasional, "you're looking fit."

For what it's worth, I never talk about my weight loss or eating habits, and I still receive comments from friends and coworkers about how "skinny" I'm getting and that I don't need to lose any more weight. Could be a men vs. women thing. Could be a demographics thing. Who knows.

My experience is the same as cwolfman13's. I work with nearly all women and live in the Midwest US, where being fat is the norm. I tend to think the people who get comments are social chitchatters or people who have just never put their feet down to set solid boundaries.

Oh, say *this is not up for discussion* and leave it at that.
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member

I NEVER talk about my weight loss journey to anyone except immediate family. It's very personal to me, as I have lost and regained the weight before. Even when asked I say as little as possible. I have been asked on multiple occasions if I had cancer, had weight loss surgery and one charming man assumed I was having an affair because a 50 year old woman would never lose that much weight for herself! I always say I eat less and move more. That's the key.

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member

Nope, i get it from people quite often and i never talk about my weight or diet unless directly asked
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    let your feet do the talking :-)
  • she800hunter2014
    she800hunter2014 Posts: 39 Member
    Tell them thank you for your concern but your working with your doctor and or nutritionist and they know what is best for your health. Also for your height and weight that they recommend you get to around 150 so that it takes you out of that risk level for High Blood pressure and other health related issues. I too was told I was losing to much weight because I went from 230 to currently 160 at 5.5 from a 16-18 dress a size 6. I finally tell them "THANK YOU" and laugh as I walk away.