WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Lenora- Cool! You have a disco potty! Potty party at your place! lol! I would love to get disco lights in my bathroom; but with the constant potty training that goes on here...I am sure the boys would see it as a challenge to pee in the dark.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,074 Member
    Options

We had quite the scare today. I came home from buying toys for my great niece and nephews and there were three squad cars in front of our home. It turned out our neighbor was shooting squirrels with a 22 rifle and he missed and it hit our dining room window. Our main computer is in that space and DH was working at it at the time. Fortunately he was not hurt. The bullet hit near the top of the window. The police found the bullet outside they think it bounce when it hit our awning and window. Unfortunately it did put a six inch hole in the window. Still trying to calm down. It is a new neighbor, the wife did come over right away to start to work on the process of paying to get it repaired. I have to remind myself that no one got hurt. It scares me too because I work in our yard frequently. We did notice there were much fewer rabbits lately, so we think he had been doing this for awhile. He did get into major trouble with the police, so I don't think he'll be doing this again.

:heart: Margaret
  • margaretturk
    Options
    Happy Veterans Day! A big thank you to all who serve and have served in our armed forces. Another big thank you to the Police and Firefighters too.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Katla ~ I looked up a Forbes article regarding the depletion of S.S. It seems that Congress has been dipping into the funds since the 1980's. It is scary for all of us seniors! I guess I am worried that the government could go broke at some point and we will suffer.

This is from FedSmith:
    The intent of the Social Security Amendments of 1983 was not followed. The surplus Social Security revenue from the tax hike was supposed to be saved and invested in marketable Treasury bonds to build up a reserve with which to finance the retirement of the baby boomers. But that didn’t happen. From the time the first surplus revenue arrived in 1985, until the surpluses ended in 2009, all of the Social Security surplus revenue was deposited into the general fund where it became indistinguishable from other federal tax revenue. The Social Security money helped to finance wars and other government programs. But none of it went to Social Security. The actual money was replaced with non-marketable government IOUs, called “special obligations of the Treasury.” These IOUs are not at all like the marketable Treasury bonds held by China and other U.S. creditors. They are nothing more than an accounting record of how much Social Security money was spent for other purposes.

Carol

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

APG, welcome. You will find this a very supportive and informative group of ladies. The first thing about mindless eating is noticing it. Then it’s easier to stop. So you have taken the first step and we will anxiously await hearing each time you take the second. I don’t like exercise but I do find that a little doesn’t hurt me and it does help with the weight and general health. We don’t have to like it to do it. Do you have a name that we could call you? If so, please sign each post with it and a location, general or specific. It just makes it easier for some of us older chicks.

Barbie, that is so interesting about the way you vote. And yes, it sounds great to not have lines and hours of standing around. We did vote absentee and I’ll admit I miss the line and seeing neighbors at the polls. *some people ya just can’t satisfy!*

Gloria , I love your big smiles. It can make such a difference in how things turn out. Thanks, my friend!

Heather, so sorry about the fuss with DH.

Janet, they are having a Christmas Show in Charleston from Nov.18 thru Nov 20. How long are you going to be there? :p It’s only 2 hours from here. I’m loving all the pictures!!!

Mary, I hope Shep had a happy Birthday. He certainly is a handsome young man.

JanetC (for Canada) Welcome. Or shall I say Welcome Back. I think you are the youngest Janet on here right now. Janetr is just a bit older and I’m barely hanging on to my 60’s. lol Come often and join right in.

Jami, welcome to you as well. Hang with us for the rest of your life and you’ll get through this thing. There are a number on here that have had one type of surgery or another and have lots of knowledge on eating after weight loss surgery.

Heather, so glad you and DH talked through your tiff. I know it’s uncomfortable to spat with someone you love. ((((Hugs))))

Allie, so glad Homer is better. Bet he feels better after the groomer, too.

Lenora, great picture of you and your honey. Nothin’ wrong with one too many if he’s not driving. Lol

Sherry, glad you are liking your new digs. Great “Food for Thought”. Thanks.

MicheleNC, yes I go to the Christmas Show every year. Used to go to the one in Charlotte before we moved and it’s about 3 times the size of this one.

Margaret, is your neighbor a nut??? To be shooting so it could hit someone’s house is totally irresponsible. Glad your DH wasn’t hit.

I’ve had to read fast and chose to skip anything related to the election and riots. I just don’t get it. Every year one side loses. What is the world coming to? I know we are all glad it’s over.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Both of my friends cancelled on me for the Christmas Show yesterday so I went with just me. Not all bad as ya don’t have to stand around and wait for someone. I spent way too much money but came home with some jewelry and a new Smart Phone. I had been looking at them and my carrier was there with a better deal. Now to learn all the goodies on it.
    Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day!
    good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mary: If you manage to convince your DH to move to Oregon we'll throw a party! :flowerforyou:

Heather: "All the worrying in the world isn't going to change things, so we might as well be happy. Not easy in the middle of the night, but I find an improving book helps me)" I absolutely agree with your statement, and I think that being as happy as possible is a choice we make each day as we deal with the things life has brought to us. :heart:

KJLaMore: Congratulations to your DD and to you! :bigsmile:

Margaret: Your neighbor sounds like a foolish man. I hope he learns from this. Until he does you're probably going to worry. I am so sorry about the whole situation. (((HUGS)))

Carol: This is clearly a government that has forgotten its mission and is not, as Abraham Lincoln once said, "of the people, by the people, and for the people." :sad: This sad state of affairs is the responsibility of both political parties. Enough said. :cry:

We have made plans to spend Thanksgiving with DSIL, and I'm going to take some desserts to share that do not include ingredients that I can't digest. I think I'll do just fine with turkey, stuffing, and green salad I will be sure to take Lactaid with me to help compensate for milk & butter that I can't predict. It does well enough with ice cream. Let's hope it does well enough with meals away from home.

It is time for me to focus on my own life and my community. I need to let the things that are not in my control progress as they will and pray for a good outcome.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • margaretturk
    edited November 2016
    Options
    10rqk2o31sc5.jpg
    t0pdbcbq62ll.jpg
    DJ these are new neighbors only have lived here a couple of months. From what we understand they are used to living in the country where people shoot at rabbits and squirrels. He did get in big trouble with the police because it is against the law to shoot a gun even a BB gun within the city limits. Again we feel fortunate that no one got seriously hurt.

Another picture of Christmas Cactus to soothe my soul.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Lenora - yay brownies!!! I wish it counted towards my fiber everyday, lol! I'm glad you like the poem, so please yes copy it, print it, hang it where you will read it everyday and feel free to pass copies on to others as you see fit. I am happy to share it with you all, and I encourage you all to do the same thing. As for tiny homes, every place has a thing and every thing has a place. I try to put everything away in it's place because when it gets messy it becomes very apparent just how small a space it is!

Becca - wish I could send you a pic of Missy for the Advent calendar, but alas I no longer have a printer. Oh well, maybe by next year's calendar (if you do one next year) I will have gotten off my a** and gotten a printer I can Bluetooth my tablet to.

Sherry in "protesters have blocked some highways in the city!" Portland

Sherry just find a photo of your 4 legged lovie, and send it to me :-) I have most of the face photos all about an oval quarter size, (except for Rori and her beautiful face is the size of 4 quarters)... Photos work better because they are sturdy than copier paper. I can send you a message with my address if you wish.
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    edited November 2016
    Options
  • Annr
    Options
    Barbara,in SW Idaho ~ My friends in my TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) group give great hugs! I hug and we just mind melt for a moment. Those are the kinds of hugs you gain strength from you know? Thanks for the friends request. I sent ya a message.
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    Oh dear.....why do people, especially young people, resort to violence when :'( they don't get their way???? All the protesters they are showing on TV are anywhere from "under age" to their mid 20's! :( They have done soooo much damage already and are even physically fighting amongst themselves even! They say that Portland police won't get involved because they just don't have the "manpower" to put a stop to this! They say there are some groups of protesters that are not involved in the violence and are putting themselves in danger trying to stop the others. At least there are some who haven't lost their minds completely! The jail is going to be very full tonight with young people who have now created a criminal record for themselves. That ought to look real good on their college applications. :s

*Sigh* This is very disheartening!

Sherry in "now scarred" Portland

Breathe my fellow Oregonian. Just know most of those young rioters didn't even VOTE! The ones you see in the black hoodies, with their faces covered DO NOT REPRESENT most Oregonians. In fact most of the protesters were trying to STOP the rioters from doing what they were doing. The fact that most of Oregon was for TRUMP, (look at a map) it was because the large cities, (Portland, Eugene, and Salem) composed most of the votes. Were the large cities conditioned by a larger outside influence? I blame parents, the school system, and sports teams the kids were in, because the younger adult can't handle failure. They have been conditioned to live in a world that has no losers just winners. They grew up getting awards in sports just by participating. The lesson of being a proud loser was never taught, so they are freaking out. It's a sad thing. There are winners and losers, its called life, and we blew it teaching it to them.
    my rant is over.... lol
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    Options
    20k8ge27gd2j.jpg
    Ready to run
    mcm9zcxghc67.jpg
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Annr
    Options
    Pip~ You dear friend are a true inspiration. You are both hero's in my eyes. You are the support system men always dream of but most often never have. He came to the conclusion on his own that that would be his last race (that long). It takes a lot of courage to come to that conclusion (tell him that... ). We (like I am speaking for all us ladies on this site now...sheesh) are your biggest fans, always shall be, in whatever you do. It's not how long the journey is, its just important that you get where you need to be, (emotionally speaking). ((((((hugs)))))
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    Options
    After the runga9d7hsvrf00.jpg
    zysv1txc4kpt.jpg

g7adip7sbo4h.jpg
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    pip- yeah for you and Kirby!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    I'm home,Tom is off to Lowe's and ATM and to pick up milk...