WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Yeah Pip and Kirby!

Pip we went through that with my mom too. By getting some supplemental care she was able to stay in her home a couple of additional years. Assisted living and nursing home care is much more expensive than living at home. One thing to watch for with assisted living is because it is cheaper than the nursing home sometimes people who need to be in a nursing home are in assisted living. As my DH would say the choices becomes lousy and lousy. It is a sometimes a question of which is less lousy.

If her needs are just too great getting a social worker or doctor to say her needs are too great to live safely at home. My mom went into the nursing home when the doctor said she needed 24 hour care. It just wasn't feasible to work that out for her at home. I know it is not easy. (((Pip))).
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Wonderful pics Pip!!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    ; )
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,584 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    jog- 31.30min, 10.10ap, 5.7-7.0sp, 137ahr, 5k
    elliptical - 12.42min, 148ahr, 157mhr, 1040str, 81avstpmin, 16resist, 5incl, 2mi
    rowing machine- 32min, 53aw, 119ahr, 145mhr, 5131meters
    total cal 728
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    KJ how wonderful for both of them! My daughter's baby was named Thor before he was born and we did not know until after the birth that his real name was Logan.

Gloria in WA where there is ongoing rioting in Seattle
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :)Pip, I often skip through long posts but I knew yours was the much awaited story of the marathon.....you and Kirby had an even more significant marathon before this when he was by your side before during and after your shoulder injury and surgery and you were there with him during his recovery from his bike crash. I've learned a lot from you....thank you <3
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh, the lovely Ladies Of MFP!!!

I slept on it and I have decided not to let the riots get me down. I had a damn good day yesterday and today is turning out pretty good too.

I had that appt this morning to meet my new counselor and it went well! She is very personable, she listens well and I seem to get along with her. She has also worked with people with multiple diagnoses like mine (Major Depression, PTSD, Social Anxiety Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder) before, so I feel confident she will understand me. And I picked the right place to go to! They have many groups/classes I can attend that won't count toward the number of visits my insurance pays for and they don't charge for them so it's like getting extra therapy for free! They do a wholistic approach to mental health (mind/body connection) and have a Yoga class (I already signed up!), a Nutrition class, a Diabetic class and a sleep class. They also have a group called TREM (trauma recovery and empowerment) that I have signed up for and have classes for dealing with chronic pain and art therapy coming soon! They also have a group for social anxiety that I signed up for. Lots of support there! And maybe I will make some friends since I lost all my other ones (long story not appropriate for this thread at this time). I like this place and will be busy utilizing all they have to offer me! I'm so jazzed!!! It was soooo worth getting up early for this appt! I'm glad I went!

Well, I picked out 2 dispensaries from the "Leafly" app that are in my new neighborhood to check out after my appt and I have to say they were crap! They had low grade "medicine" and their prices were too high for the level of quality. So I think I will stick to the one over in my old neighborhood who has much better quality for cheaper prices. It's worth the drive, at least for now. So I went there and they were surprised to see me! I told them I felt dirty 'cause I had been someplace else and joked with them that i would never stray again! They got a good laugh out of it and were happy to see me back. They are a great bunch of peeps and have always taken real good care of me! They truly deserve my loyalty! I was wearing one of their t-shirts in that pic I posted of me on here. Their logo is a cartoon character of a "hippy" doctor with a big green thumb! How appropriate!

Well, it's dinner time and I'm gonna BBQ a big fat steak! Maybe a sweet potato and tons of steamed broccoli to go with, yum yum! Ugh, my tummy is grumbling so I gotta go! Be back later.....

Sherry in "cloudy but dry so far" Portland

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did about 50 minutes of Tonya Larsen Step and Pump DVD. I know, I changed my mind from what I had planned to do. The plan for tomorrow is to do an Amy Bento and Paul Katami Double Down DVD.

Vince always felt that we had to give the kids an equal amount of presents. Now he feels that is OK if we don't as long as an equal amount of money is spent on them.

Lenora - tell me about how we need the rain. There are fires in NC. How many more days is it? Coming down to he wire, huh? I can't be bothered with the consignment shop so we always make a donation. Which reminds me that I need to make another one, the box for the donations is getting too full and starting to spill over. You know, free college education sounds good. But what happens when those kids graduate? There won't be jobs for them, yet someone will have to pay for the "free" college. Guess who? Being a businessman, I hope Trump can get us some-what out of debt. Don't wait until you get to goal weight before posting a pic of yourself. Those last 5 to 10lbs are ever so hard to lose, trust me

Glad Homer is better and hope it stays that way for a while

Rori - that Tabata workout is something you can take and do in a hotel as most hotels have a fitness center. Good job! Most hotels only have your typical ellipticals, treadmills, weights, and stationary bikes. Good to bring something else.

Sherry in Portland - have you ever had black bean brownies? Now THEY'RE high in fiber... Way to get your fiber AND brownie. Vince doesn't care for them the way the recipe says to make them, so I just put extra chocolate in them and he eats them. Of course, I don't tell him that there are black beans in it :). You don't need a printer to send Becca a pic of Missy. I didn't send her something that I printed out. The only thing is that the pic shouldn't be real big so that she can put a lot on her Advent tree. You know, if it were up to me, I'd have all those protesters (assuming that it wasn't a peaceful demonstration) put in jail for disturbing the peace. How many protesters will there be then? Unfortunately, I think a lot of this stems from the way kids are raised today. Not having to deal with loss (everyone gets a trophy at a game). No, the newspapers here say that it is happening in a lot of places

Kate UK - have a great time in Spain!

Lillian - I commiserate with you on moving those rocks. Everyone here probably remembers when we were putting rocks down outside our pool

Karen from VA - what a wise mother you had!

Carol/Peach - hey, my father was a mechanic in WWII also!

janetr - thank you for sharing all your lovely pics with us

Heather - you've certainly been one busy gal. Is dh's cake one layer or multiple layers?

Just made chocolate cupcakes for Vince. I'll probably make the icing and ice them tomorrow.

KJ - what a lovely name for the baby. And how wonderful for your BF

Margaret - how scary!

pip - how awesome you are there for Kirby so much. You're truly an inspiration. I can't get over how great he's doing.

Michele in NC
  • sherryminch
    Options
    Pip - wow! Way to go! You guys rock! I know you could have gone faster, but the important thing is you stuck by his side and were there for him and I am proud of you no matter where you finish in the race! As long as you had fun and enjoyed it, and by the looks of the smiles in the pics you did! That's awesome!

Sherry in "yum! Steak!" Portland
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Thanks all who have reached out… I’m treading water, working hard to stay distracted. I live on the edge of a pretty well off community and that is where many of my Garden Club folks live, there was a meeting on Thursday night, and the community knows I am low income, as I have lobbied for low cost events and subsiding for higher cost events… I thought of you Becca, as so many came up and hugged me and told me they knew how this would mean I would be affected… It felt so good to get the hugs and caring. For many I am the only “other” they know…

Lisa – thanks 2 wings 1 bird – good way to think.

Sharon – sending good thoughts to you and your friend.

Margaret – 4 years of Jesse Ventura made me laugh out loud! Thanks – Later OMG the story about the neighbor is very scary! He needs to think things through! So glad you and DH are ok.

Mary – shep is a beautiful pup!

Jami – welcome

Barbara – What is homesteading your house?

Heather – Hip Hip Hooray!!!! So many things accomplished

KJ – great secrets!!!!

Pip – great pics, congrats on doing the marathon at all! And wonderful that you both are such great support for one another…

November Goals:

Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…
    Read and report on a book
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Margaret: How terrifying. Shaking my head at how senseless some people can be.

Becca: Egads! Do I need to send you a smaller headshot? Didn't realize I was 4 quarters. I recall I ordered the print from Walgreen's photo department. Super easy and cheap.

Pip: As always, you and Kirby inspire us on so many levels. Certainly loved the story of your unified efforts to finish the race. I also have to tell you that only in my fantasies have I ever done a 12 minute mile. So, although that's on the slow end for you, I'd be thrilled with that time.

Michele: Hope those fires aren't close to you.

Mr. Mars, the four-legged alarm, got me up at 3:00 AM. Ugh. Didn't get back to sleep and really felt it by early this afternoon. To make matters worse, instead of my early morning exercise, I baked my DH a batch of oatmeal cookies to help commemorate Veteran's Day. He was surprised and delighted because I never bake. Big mistake. Let's just say I ended up logging an unusual breakfast. Froze the leftovers and made it through the rest of day with more sensible choices.

Glad this week is over. I am physically and emotionally drained. Here's to a great weekend for us all.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,584 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments my peeps
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    <3
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    We had quite the scare today. I came home from buying toys for my great niece and nephews and there were three squad cars in front of our home. It turned out our neighbor was shooting squirrels with a 22 rifle and he missed and it hit our dining room window. Our main computer is in that space and DH was working at it at the time. Fortunately he was not hurt. The bullet hit near the top of the window. The police found the bullet outside they think it bounce when it hit our awning and window. Unfortunately it did put a six inch hole in the window. Still trying to calm down. It is a new neighbor, the wife did come over right away to start to work on the process of paying to get it repaired. I have to remind myself that no one got hurt. It scares me too because I work in our yard frequently. We did notice there were much fewer rabbits lately, so we think he had been doing this for awhile. He did get into major trouble with the police, so I don't think he'll be doing this again.

:heart: Margaret

Oh, Margaret, this shook me up just reading about it. I am so thankful you and your husband were not injured. I hope the police got their point across to this person. Big (((hugs))) sweetie. <3

Janetr okc (currently in Raleigh NC where it is chilly and will dip below freezing tomorrow night)

• sherryminch
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Michele - black bean brownies?? I will have to see if I can look up a recipe for that on Google! Heck, I'll try it! I'll try anything once (unless it looks or smells gross!), twice if I like it! Lol! Heaven knows I need all the fiber I can get since they took out my Gallbladder.

Barbie - I love Minions! Yay "King Bob!"!

Becca - I have no actual physical photos of anyone or anything :'( ! Someone else got all of those, if you know what I mean. All I have is what is on my tablet. I went and got a micro SD card for this thing so I could store photos on it and take the card to Walgreen's to get some of them printed on actual photo paper, but I somehow can not figure out how to transfer them to the card! I will have to take it to Geek Squad at Best Buy and have them walk me through it. I'm sure the process is simple, it just eludes me! It is just a cheap $70 tablet, you wouldn't think it would be this dang hard! So for now all my pics are stuck on this tablet! :(

Margaret - Holy Cow!!! I'm so glad you and yours are OK! He sounds like the poster child for gun control! What an irresponsible a**h*l*! Pardon my French!

Well ladies, I am going to watch a movie then go to bed and read some of the e-book I downloaded from the library. Reading puts me to sleep for some reason, so I use that to help me fall asleep most nights. I hope you all have a wonderful night full of deep refreshing sleep! Time for the usual...."medicate", shot, supplements!

Sherry in " I'm not gonna even turn on the news 'cause I don't want to know!" Portland
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Pip you left me in tears, that girl friend is what love/partnership is all about. You have taught us by example that we can come back from all the obstacles life throws at us. You and Kirby are the ultimate "winners". Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. Proud of you both.

Janetr okc
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    ;)
  • Purl62
    Purl62 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Today I met with my dietician, and we came up with a plan to get me back on track. I am excited to be focused again. This is a hard time of year, living up here in the pacific northwest we have such short days and I really want to eat all the carbs and hibernate until summer! Today I didn't look at the scale, but I am guessing I have gained about 15 pounds since my lowest point over the summer. I will weigh myself tomorrow and enter it. For the next couple weeks I will be having my protein shakes for breakfast, lean protein, non-starchy veggies, and low glycemic fruits and healthy fats for lunch and dinner. And exercising...I'm taking a 3 times a week class that includes cardio and strength and will be working out an additional 3 times a week on my own. Have a great weekend everyone!