No Alcohol November 2016 Challenge!

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    That's why I had to just quit, @blwelch1.

Cravings are the beginning of the end for me. If I cannot control it, (meaning one or two - never more) then I need to put it down.

I don't see anything wrong with people having "A" drink or two over the course of the evening. That is normal alcohol consumption. If that becomes every day eventually a tolerance is developed. That's what happened to me, and in order to get that warm buzz I had to drink more. Like they say, first I take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes me. I didn't want to go down that path any more.

I do not miss it. I do have the occasional thought of, "MMMmm margarita." That's okay. It's just a thought - I don't have to act on it. I have a lot of thoughts I don't act on.
  • onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Triggers.....Ball games...nice weather...gathering with friends and family.. boredom...People.places.things...Gotta change it up...Drinking is a habit....Next time you get with friends bring a bottle of sparkling cider instead...Then you can enjoy no alcohol and your visit...I'm just starting to leave the house a little bit...3 pm was my trigger hour...Dreading all coming home and the noise..cooking..cleaning up..So I would start checking out a half hour before....Now I walk to the bus stop. Instead of blocking it out I decided to check in and enjoy my gifts.....instead of Dreading them...You can and will find a way....Best to you
  • onsickmom
    Options
    Oh boy....sick crying toddlers.....Gotta love it....Be getting married before we know it. There my grandchildren...I get to be the daycare since I'm not out working my job past few years...Surgery after surgery...not only did I start drinking more but doc gave me feel good stuff....not a good thing for the body or mind...I'm not only staying sober I've cut my feel good by more than half....Gotta go slow on that...My heart is bad and I sure don't wanna end up back in the hospital......I'm proud of myself!!!!!! Haven't felt that in a long time..i hated the gal in the mirror..I love who I see today....I'm gonna treat me as number one!!!!!! Seriously what was I thinking??? Omg....slow suicide.......It's day 14 of November....SOBER.......I HOPE YOU ALL DO WELL
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    1soulfulrn wrote: »
    Ugh...I have a cruise this month! Sigh....okay, will hope for the best. This ought to be a good one LOL!

I drank some HEINOUSLY strong champagne on a cruise last month, and honestly I thought I was going to go head over heels in front of everyone. It was delicious though.

I'm in on the challenge :) I have a Christmas party and wedding at the beginning of December, so abstaining until them will give my liver a headstart...
  • blwelch1
    blwelch1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's why I had to just quit, @blwelch1.

Cravings are the beginning of the end for me. If I cannot control it, (meaning one or two - never more) then I need to put it down.

I don't see anything wrong with people having "A" drink or two over the course of the evening. That is normal alcohol consumption. If that becomes every day eventually a tolerance is developed. That's what happened to me, and in order to get that warm buzz I had to drink more. Like they say, first I take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes me. I didn't want to go down that path any more.

I do not miss it. I do have the occasional thought of, "MMMmm margarita." That's okay. It's just a thought - I don't have to act on it. I have a lot of thoughts I don't act on.

I have never heard of the phrase, (first I take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes me), but i like it. I know i will be able to do this, because i feel like i am more aware of it. In the past i would not even think about quitting. it really is a funny thing. Give me a "sweet challenge" and i could knock that out without thinking twice, but alcohol for some reason is harder.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a drink for ages, 30 years come December. I can't say I miss it really. Alcohol and I never did get along very well lol.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I completely failed this weekend. Knew Saturday was out since it was my husband's bday celebration, but that somehow rolled Friday and Sunday into the festivities. I didn't overdo it, no hangovers, so that's a bonus, but I definitely didn't abstain. Honestly, if I avoid alcohol next weekend and then until Thanksgiving I'll feel accomplished.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    I completely failed this weekend. Knew Saturday was out since it was my husband's bday celebration, but that somehow rolled Friday and Sunday into the festivities. I didn't overdo it, no hangovers, so that's a bonus, but I definitely didn't abstain. Honestly, if I avoid alcohol next weekend and then until Thanksgiving I'll feel accomplished.

I think the hangover I had from going out for my husband's bday on Thursday night, helped solidify my momentum, lol. I definitely am preferring feeling great EVERY morning instead of it being hit or miss due to how much I drank the night before.

Hope he had a great birthday!
  • mmdolly56
    mmdolly56 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This will be a breeze since I haven't touched a drop since July 9th. I don't miss booze as much as I thought I would.
  • tamera_g
    tamera_g Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I fell off the wagon a few days ago and stopped logging calories too because I was so disappointed in myself.
    The kids were acting crazy and hubby didn't get home till late. By the time the kids were in bed, I just wanted to relax and do something for myself so I had a glass of wine. I have a hard time finding time for myself.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly I am still on the wagon here. It has been a very trying couple of days with an earthquake at midnight Monday morning, then evacuation with a tsunami warning.

Kids were home from school yesterday (monday) while the school was checked for damage.
    Then last night the rain started and by this morning it was POURING. We got a message from school saying school was all clear and then half hour later another closed due to flooding!
    All with further aftershocks happening.

The bottles in the cupboard have really been so appealing!!!
    Off to bed with a book and an early night instead.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    wow jo. You're in NZ?

I hope you are done with earthquakes for a while.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    wow jo. You're in NZ?

I hope you are done with earthquakes for a while.

Yes, in the Wellington area - not the worst hit area, but not fun all the same. I hope we are done too.

Today seems not so bad - less jiggles and shakes so far, and the floods have receded, although we are expecting gale-force southerlies tomorrow night (cold winds from the ice-burgers as my kids would say).

Here's an article about the flooding in our area yesterday. The second and third photo are literally around the corner from us.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-earthquake/86478534/wellingtons-wild-weather-what-you-need-to-know

Today is fine, and the kids are back at school, so it's nice to be able to do some normal activities - need to start planning a birthday cake for DDs birthday party this weekend :) Nice to have something positive on the cards.
  • blwelch1
    blwelch1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is crazy. Glad you are getting back to somewhat normal.
  • onsickmom
    Options
    GREAT NEWS TODAY!!!!!! My blood work came back good!!!!! Not high..not borderline...IM IN THE GOOD HEALTHY RANGE....Liver function return to normal!!!!!! Sober is doing some serious good for my health....And I'm only 78 days sober....The body and mind is a beautiful thing...Of course my hubby said oh good...You should treat yourself...No..no..no!!!!! Getting well is my treat.....Amen.....Happy 15 days of November SOBER...And keep on trying to those who fell down or stumbled....it's OK....Get back up...Still time to get in a couple weeks sober.....oxox
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Another night down! I had maybe a migraine today or just a really bad headache. My head was fuzzy all morning reminiscent of a hang over, so that was kind of dumb, lol. It finally went away in the late afternoon though! Hope everyone is having a great week!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Really great news @onsickmom! You're lucky that your health bounced back. I've seen that not be the case for some. Alcohol is a really awful poison for the body, mind, and spirit. You sound committed and happy. Good for you for not listening to your husband.

@jo_nz that's amazing about the earthquake and the floods. Almost needs a movie about it, or a Bible chapter or something. Many good thoughts coming your way. I live near a flood zone and I'm also on the Ring of Fire, so I feel your anxiety. You guys seem like you get a lot of earthquakes. I hope things get back to normal for you and your family very soon.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    MM21, I got sugar/carb hangovers in the first couple/few months of sobriety. I don't get them any more, but if I ate too many cabs too late in the day, I would wake up feeling hungover. YMMV, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    MM21, I got sugar/carb hangovers in the first couple/few months of sobriety. I don't get them any more, but if I ate too many cabs too late in the day, I would wake up feeling hungover. YMMV, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

I'm going to be honest here. I've been eating Halloween candy non stop this month :|
  • cmriverside
    edited November 2016
    Options

I'm going to be honest here. I've been eating Halloween candy non stop this month :|

That's really common when withdrawing alcohol. Alcohol processes as sugar...and if you were drinking beer, wine or drinks mixed with a juice or mixer, then your body is craving that carb replacement. I ate a lot of sugary stuff for about six months after I quit drinking.

AAMOF, alcohol withdrawal food plans are all high-carb.