• AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Almost at my goal.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Nice Job @AnnyisOK you're going to blow past that goal!
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Shoe question - anyone buy into the heel drop thing? runblogger.com/2010/06/heel-toe-drop-or-offset-what-does-it.html

I've tried several different brands and styles within the brand but so far the ones I feel most comfortable running long distance in are my Brooks PureFlow 5 which seems to have gotten poor ratings. They work for me and I went back to them after seeing my orthopedic who said stick with what you're comfortable with.
    I tried the new Launch because I heard so much good things but they did something strange for ankle. Tried the Ghost 9, wasn't a fan either, and the Adrenaline (on the fence about it).
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Question. I'll be getting a new pair of shoes next week (just in time for the Holiday Streak), I've been hearing about inserts.... should I get inserts before I get a new pair of shoes, or once I get a new pair of shoes.... how often should I get inserts vs new shoes.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    November goal: 75 miles
    11/1: 3 miles (m)
    11/2: Rest Day
    11/3: 3 miles
    11/4: 3 miles (m)
    11/5: 3 miles
    11/6: 2.75 miles
    11/7: 3 miles (m)
    11/8: 3 miles
    11/9: Rest Day
    11/10: Rest Day
    11/11: No running per Doc
    11/12: No running per Doc
    11/13: No running per Doc
    11/14: No running per Doc
    11/15: No running per Doc
    11/16: 4 miles
    11/17: 4 miles

My Total/November: 28.75 miles
    Mike's Total: 9 miles

OK...so maybe I am trying to add too much too fast. I did manage another 4 miles today. The last two were very slow. My hips are pretty sore, but I am determined. Soreness I can work with. As long as there is no serious pain, I generally assume that I am not doing any real damage and try to keep pressing on. I am pretty sure that this is just a result of having so many days of downtime. On the upside, my lungs are good and my breathing is fine. So - onward, I say!

@7lenny7 Nice race pictures and that is cool race bling! :smile:
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I love my morning runs too, even though they are in the dark. Although, I remember 2 years ago when we actually had some cold days in Florida, I ran in the afternoon and I really liked that too. I just worry all day that something will happen and I won't be able to run. So if I do in the morning, it's done!

@ddmom0811 One of my big worries as well. I am generally up early (4:45 or so) so that I can get in a bike ride and a run and be back and ready to work at 8 am. If I have time, I will get in some other workout or walk in the evening, but if something happens and I don't have time, at least I have gotten my morning workout done. :smile:

Have a great day everyone!

Upcoming Race:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX

AND...my ticker won't update again. :(

exercise.png
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    12/11 2.0km 8x1m running 8x1m walking
    14/11 2.3km 8x1.5m running 8x1m walking
    16/11 3.0km 8x2m running 8x1m walking

Return to running seems to be going well so far no major issues, my body seems to be working its way round all the niggles during a run, a different niggle for each interval.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Question for those of you that get up at 5AM or earlier to run. What time do you go to bed? Just curious. I get up at 6AM to walk my dog then I run afterwards if I am doing an AM run. I am finding that I do not have enough time to get in a good run and still make it to work at a reasonable hour. I can start getting up earlier, but I rarely can make it to bed before 11 and I have found out that sacrificing sleep for running is counter-productive.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7 I'm jealous that you get to run late. If i even walk past 4 pm I'm so wound up that I can't sleep until 12 or 1. Which is fine not working, but I should be back to 6 am shifts come dec.

And I'm jealous of all of you that can get up early. I am just horrible at getting up. I think I just don't sleep well.

@lporter229 when I had to be at work by 5 am, bed time was 8-9. I work with a guy that goes to bed at 7 and is up at 3, he doesn't run. Just like to be up alone in the quiet.

Happy running all!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Question for those of you that get up at 5AM or earlier to run. What time do you go to bed? Just curious. I get up at 6AM to walk my dog then I run afterwards if I am doing an AM run. I am finding that I do not have enough time to get in a good run and still make it to work at a reasonable hour. I can start getting up earlier, but I rarely can make it to bed before 11 and I have found out that sacrificing sleep for running is counter-productive.

I get up at 5am to get ready for work, but I'm guessing most (not all) who run in the morning before work don't have to go in as early. I usually go to bed somewhere around 10p-12a. Lately, I've been on the later side of that as I'm trying to accomplish everything I would like to do (I can't, but try).
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I struggle with the running and sleeping thing. If I get up 5:30 and am running by 6, I still barely have time for 3 miles and get ready for work :( My husband doesn't need as much sleep as I do and so getting to bed early doesn't really work. I really just have a hard time being "selfish" with my running habits. I'll probably never be a hardcore runner because I'm too "nice" and try to fit my running in around other people's priorities. If my hubby has a bad night and decides to sleep in, I feel awful about having an alarm go off and me getting up. Then when it comes to evenings, I'm working around making dinner and I never know what time he's coming home and then I don't get to eat because I'm going running. Blah, blah. It's never ideal, but like I said, my fault because I cater to other people. People-pleaser. Once I no longer have a teen at home that'll relieve one aspect.

@7lenny7 Those shoes! That picture makes my feet hurt! Hope you feel better soon.

@lissadecker Get some stretching in :)

@Getfitat54 Not everyone needs inserts. Just get a good shoe that fits you well, unless a dr suggests you need inserts.

@zmcgrandles Great job on getting back into running :)

@AnnyisOK I haven't even run enough miles in enough shoes to say much about "drop" but everybody is different and just because somebody loves a shoe doesn't mean it works for you. Wear what feels good to you.

@MNLittleFinn You really pushed it!

Rest day for me today and I hope my shin feels up to 6 miles tomorrow.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @AnnyisOK If the PureFlow shoes work for you, don't worry about the ratings. Every shoe will be loved by some, hated by others.

@Getfitat54 unless you have a specific condition that would require inserts, I would not get them. Running shoes are designed as a complete system and replacing inserts may screw things up for you.

@lissadecker glad to hear your lungs are doing good! I think you have the right idea about soreness vs. pain.
    @Elise4270 I can go directly from run->eat->sleep with no problem. Likely because I don't get near enough sleep.

Upcoming Races & Events

12/03/2016 - Donut Day 25K <- 25k run with stops at 5 donut shops along the way
    01/28/2017 - Securian Winter Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    02/25/2017 - PsychoWyCo Run Toto Run 20 Mile Trail Race - Kansas City, KS
    04/29/2017 - Chippewa 50K Trail Race - New Auburn, WI
    07/04/2017 - 4th of July Road Race 10K - Red Wing, MN

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I started getting up at 6.20am to run as I was waking around then checking social media, MFP and figured I was better off spending half an hour walking than doing that. Then I started to increase it to a run and as long as I was in the shower at the gym by 7.15 I could get to work on time. Now I get up at 6, jog to the gym, do whatever (Stronglifts or dreadmill currently) for half an hour or so and jog back for a shower. I leave for work around 7.30/7.45am. In the summer I can get in around a 50 minute run. I don’t feel the need for longer than this, as I would end up too tired during the day plus I have a mental block when it comes to getting up before 6am.
    I too would find life getting in the way if I planned an afternoon run. I drive about an hour home and start with enthusiasm, then that wanes and becomes any reason on earth not to do it. I run trails with a club once a week (their ‘short’ run is between 4-6 miles….) and other evenings I have dance classes or spend the evening cooking for much of the week.

I enjoy the morning for a run – it sets me up for the day, and if I just get up and go my brain doesn’t think of an excuse not to. For me it’s about being out on the run before my brain has realised it’s happening. I’m not prepared to sacrifice sleep for running either.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @AnnyisOK - If the shoes are working for you and feel good / keep you healthy, don't worry about reviews. Also, every time I see your name on here, I get Michael Jackson ear-worming through my brain :smiley:

@lporter229 - I love morning runs / exercise! I started with it when I was first trying to lose weight and develop the habit because it didn't take away from anyone else or anything in my schedule...now I love it! I go to bed between 9-10p and wake up ~4:30a. It does mean that I don't really have much "kid-free" time in the evening, as my children now go to bed about when I do.

@juliet3455 - Does the toe hole in @7lenny7 photo really indicate they are too small? I get that hole on my right shoe and I have recently gone up a 1/2 size and it still happened. I figured it was either because of my form somehow, or I just have nasty toes. Maybe it is because my shoe needs to be laced different or tighter?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I can go directly from run->eat->sleep with no problem. Likely because I don't get near enough sleep.

I'll remember that!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - My Mom grew up in Kimball, SD! That is a great area for hunting. Also, if you're in Kimball, make sure and get a caramel roll at the truck stop...huge and delicious!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 any wisdom you can give me on the question I posted in my run summary for the day?

Is this about your LTHR post? I got nothing. I need to actually wear my HRM more often. LOL
    Sorry, I am mostly a "by feel" guy than "by HR". Not that I advocate against it, just that I am too lazy to get into the HR thing.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Getfitat54 wrote: »
    Question. I'll be getting a new pair of shoes next week (just in time for the Holiday Streak), I've been hearing about inserts.... should I get inserts before I get a new pair of shoes, or once I get a new pair of shoes.... how often should I get inserts vs new shoes.

When I got my gait analyzed by the local Fleet Feet guy. He said my shoes were perfectly fine (ASIC Gel Keyano 20's) but suggested I get some inserts. I bought them just to throw a bone for the store who did my gait analysis. But personally I don't see any benefit with the inserts. That's just me tho.

As far as the heel drop question, I also don't bother with it. I must rotate through shoes that have such a varied range of heel drops that my feet are now immune from any difference. I go for price and how comfortable they feel when I put them on my feet in the store. I am a real cheapo when it comes to shoes. I have to with all the shoes I go through.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    According to my new smashrun thing, I run 58% of my runs in the morning. I go through phases of running before work or in the evening. But Fri/Sat I don't work and almost always run those mornings, just not super early, more like 9am. I've honestly never had a set schedule and just kinda fly by the seat of my pants. LOL

It's 75ish with 20-25mph winds today. Looks like tomorrow's run will be 52 with 15mph wind. I guess that's a little better. LOL

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I get up a 4:45 to run at 5am. I try to be in bed no later than 11pm, but strive for 10pm. Wednesday are soccer nights, sometimes I am not home until 10:30pm.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    There were a bunch of surprises for me with this run. First of all, I chopped 1:30 off my 5k PR, and I totally wasn't expecting that! Second, I had no clue that I could hold a sub-8 pace for 30 minutes and, really, I probably could have gone another 5-7 minutes, I think. Final surprise: That 180 average HR. I am really wondering how good the Friel test is, just because I don't know if my LTHR could really be that high.

Anyone have thoughts on that? I don't want to touch my HR settings without knowing that that LTHR estimate is at least somewhat decent (currently have it set at 174).

When you enter in your most recent race into the Daniel's table you get your estimated LTHR in two different locations. First is the yellow box on the top. It calculates your estimated LT Pace and LTHR range.

The second location is in the middle area under Joe Friel Training Zone Approximations.

How do these two values compare to your test? How confident are you that you performed the test correctly? I know nothing about the test so I can't comment on the procedure.