cycling friendly (concealed) holster

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The way I view this topic, is the same way I look at cars and horsepower. I rather have it and never need it, than need it and not have it.

Sure but we're talking about a bike, not a car, so the opposite applies. To make a car go faster, you touch the gas pedal a little bit more. To make a bike go faster, you suffer more. Cyclists' enemies are hills, and what makes it harder to go up a hill? Unnecessary weight.

That's why people spend $400 on carbon fiber handlebars and $3,100 on light-weight climbing wheels. To remove unneeded weight. Because it's a bicycle.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Do you have any issues with materials, that could be a factor? Something like the Kangaroo Carry is 100% cotton. Alternatively, you can look at some belly bands.

No material allergies. Though stuff that's tight on my midsection can be problematic for other reasons.

I am also absolutely zero concerned about weight. I ride a heavy bike on purpose. :)
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    OP, how about a thigh holster? I don't cycle much so I don't know how much it would affect your riding. Seems like it would be ideal though since it would sit on the outside of your thigh, not in contact with any part of the bicycle.

What happens in a crash? Seems like the gun being pushed into your leg during the impact could hurt you.

I hit some railroad tracks Saturday and went down hard on the non-drive side. Hard enough to bust a spoke and leave a nasty bruise. It happens, cyclists crash. This is why I don't carry my heavy camera on my bike, it would have to go in a backpack, and that could break my ribs in a fall.
  • SparkyJess3
    SparkyJess3 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    OP, how about a thigh holster? I don't cycle much so I don't know how much it would affect your riding. Seems like it would be ideal though since it would sit on the outside of your thigh, not in contact with any part of the bicycle.

What happens in a crash? Seems like the gun being pushed into your leg during the impact could hurt you.

I hit some railroad tracks Saturday and went down hard on the non-drive side. Hard enough to bust a spoke and leave a nasty bruise. It happens, cyclists crash. This is why I don't carry my heavy camera on my bike, it would have to go in a backpack, and that could break my ribs in a fall.

If you have the correct holster for your gun then you aren't going to have an accidental discharge because the trigger would be completely covered. I'm sure regardless of if you have a gun on you or not if you crash you will probably end up with some type of injury.
  • Lizarking
    Options
    ^ Injury is a concern too. I know some people small-of-the-back carry when riding, but that seems like a spinal injury waiting to happen.

I'm not worried about an ND/AD. Everything I have is drop safe and I don't carry condition 0 anyway.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    The way I view this topic, is the same way I look at cars and horsepower. I rather have it and never need it, than need it and not have it.

Sure but we're talking about a bike, not a car, so the opposite applies. To make a car go faster, you touch the gas pedal a little bit more. To make a bike go faster, you suffer more. Cyclists' enemies are hills, and what makes it harder to go up a hill? Unnecessary weight.

That's why people spend $400 on carbon fiber handlebars and $3,100 on light-weight climbing wheels. To remove unneeded weight. Because it's a bicycle.

You are a serious rider. It's possible the few extra pounds and improved safety is well worth it. So just because you would spend 4k on a bike, doesn't mean that would apply to all of us.

$4k? That's kind of insulting. :disappointed: But the point isn't the number, it's the difference between a car and a bike when it comes to unneeded dead weight.

Safety on a bike comes from wearing a helmet and having head lights; carrying a heavy thing increases your risk of breaking bones in a crash. I can tell you (as a "serious rider") a gun does nothing to improve safety on a bicycle. He can do as he sees fit, I'm just correcting this misconception about safety.

If you want to get a real safety device for the bike, check out Garmin's Varia rear-view radar. Because the #1 danger to most cyclists comes from drivers of cars. And you can't shoot them for crossing the lane markings.

Garmin-Varia-Radar-Display-Unit-CarsPassing-2.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    If you have the correct holster for your gun then you aren't going to have an accidental discharge because the trigger would be completely covered. I'm sure regardless of if you have a gun on you or not if you crash you will probably end up with some type of injury.

I'm not asking about an accidental discharge, that should never happen.

The problem is if you carry the gun on (let's say) your left side, get hit by a car pulling out of a driveway, and go down on your left side. The gun shouldn't discharge but it's like crashing into a rock. Its presence during a crash could cause an injury.

It's better to only have one injury from a crash than it is to have two of them.

I'm not telling you not to carry, I'm telling you to do it (if you're going to) in a way that minimizes this extra risk you're taking on.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

You are a serious rider. It's possible the few extra pounds and improved safety is well worth it. So just because you would spend 4k on a bike, doesn't mean that would apply to all of us.

$4k? That's kind of insulting. :disappointed: But the point isn't the number, it's the difference between a car and a bike when it comes to unneeded dead weight.

Safety on a bike comes from wearing a helmet and having head lights; carrying a heavy thing increases your risk of breaking bones in a crash. I can tell you (as a "serious rider") a gun does nothing to improve safety on a bicycle. He can do as he sees fit, I'm just correcting this misconception about safety.

If you want to get a real safety device for the bike, check out Garmin's Varia rear-view radar. Because the #1 danger to most cyclists comes from drivers of cars. And you can't shoot them for crossing the lane markings.

Garmin-Varia-Radar-Display-Unit-CarsPassing-2.jpg

Wasn't trying to insult you. My brothers endro bike is $6K. I just don't think you have the same concerns as the OP.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    35dollars wrote: »
    Hmm. With a bit of lateral thinking, how about something like this:
    89984d1121173046-finally-used-my-top-tube-mounted-30-cal-machine-gun-andyourlittledogtoo.jpg

*snort*

I believe OP was asking for concealed carry suggestions, as per the title :wink:

Those of us in open carry states have many more options. Which is also why I have no suggestions - I've not found a concealed carry holster I like yet, let alone one suitable for carrying while bicycling.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    However, thank you for the info on that garmin thing. That looks pretty useful.

I can't recommend it highly enough. A year ago, a driver ran a red light and hit me. The car was going 35 to 40 mph at the time. It was raining and there was road construction, so I didn't hear the car behind me. It was the driver's fault, but I still might have been able to avoid being hit if I'd known the car was behind me, and if I'd known it wasn't going to stop for the light. I spent the night and most of the next day in the ER and ICU. I was in too much pain to walk for a couple weeks.

You might also consider evidence cams. Like a GoPro or a VIRB. Especially if you're going to carry. If you ever need to use it, the footage could save you considerable headache after the fact. Also, as cyclists, our number one danger comes from drivers, and if more of us rode with evidence cams, that could make it safer for all cyclists.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Can can concealment sport belt is AWESOME for this or anything you want. Can even have custom made to fit your phone and other stuff. Second choice is a magnetic holder instead of a clip.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    And for the record, I wish you and everybody else happy miles on the bike, no matter what you carry with you when you ride. :smile:
  • Lizarking
    Options
    CarolPre wrote: »
    Not everyone needs to carry to protect themselves from people. When I ride or walk, its usually on the roads around my house and I live in a very rural area. There are coyotes around here, which is why I carry a .22 North American Arms Mini Revolver. No holster needed. It's holds 5 rounds and fits in the pocket of my shorts/pants.

Those are super cool. Wish they were legal for carry here. (Must be 24-44 caliber)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    any suggestions? All my go-to brands require a heavy duty belt, but that's not gonna work with exercise clothing.
    Have a compact (p238.)

Considered top bar bag, but it feels like a bad idea in general.

A light amount of printing is OK. A shell would be nice.

Material questions here would be what type of threat you're intending to defend against, and what sort of riding you do, and whether you're riding with someone else who will be delivering supporting fire?

Also, what sort of notice you're likely to need to use it, noting that you're not carrying in the ready state. My personal pistol is a Sigg229 which uses a de-cocking, rather than a safety. That's fine in a covert set-up but not for something like riding.

What are your preferences in terms of carrying already? There is little point in recommending something that sits on the chest if you're not comfortable with that, equally I wouldn't recommend something at the high port if you're on a road bike.