• antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    antdelsa wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    You guys are delusional, I'm over it ... i never said it was the only way.. what I'm saying is try something new and work harder

Its obvious there's a bunch of close minded folks in this place so hey if what you're doing works for you then cool, don't know why you commented to begin with.

Its funny to see people who are out of shape tell me how what im saying is wrong lmao jesus i should go take financial advice from a homeless person too i guess

Hi.

I'm in pretty good shape, feel free to check my photo gallery. I only mention this part because you seem to be concerned about the condition someone is in when they question you.

If you're concerned about qualifications and experience I have multiple PT certifications and I generally stay up to speed to the best of my ability through a couple of research reviews. Nothing terribly impressive but certainly more than "zero". I also run a successful and growing online coaching business and I also have experience training clients in a live gym setting.

I'm also happy to tell you my lifts if it concerns you.

Now on to more important stuff.

You're correct about spot reduction being a myth.

You're incorrect about the blind advocacy for HIIT. HIIT has a MUCH larger recovery component compared to LISS. HIIT also requires the individual to be in better starting condition to even execute it correctly in the first place. In a forum with a broad mix of demographics, recommending a specific exercise or modality of training is potentially harmful advice.

From a fat loss perspective, it is going to boil down to creating a calorie deficit. HIIT may be a more efficient way to achieve cardiovascular adaptations, it may be a more efficient way to burn calories, but it's FAR more taxing on recovery systems and so consequently it's harder to position into an overall training program.

HIIT on a treadmill is not a great idea either -- adjusting the speed appropriately can suck, and additional stress from impact can be a pretty big negative for a lot of people. Using a bike could be a much more tolerable choice but it will again come down to individual goals and preferences there.

Your belief about fasted cardio being superior for fat loss is false if the goal is overall whole body fat loss. Schoenfeld studied this here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4242477/

Fasted cardio increased acute fat oxidation during the training bout but it does not lead to greater changes in body fat loss over time. This is why you can't look at things in a vacuum.

Have a nice day.

Hiit on the treadmill definitely isn't the best idea, but the hiit thing was an example to drive hime my point of pushing yourself past the normal daily routine, that point was somehow missed by the example.

Thanks for the study I'll definitely check it out, I'm not nor ever claimed to know everything and am always open to learn as you have to be.

If I'm wrong about something i have no issue with saying so, I'll definitely read the article and research it more and i appreciate you approaching this as a way to educate opposed to berating me, i feel as though i gave sound advice to anyone trying to push to the next level and don't see how anything i said could be misconstued as negative.

You don't think saying that someone is "cheating themselves" is negative?

No i don't, because you can always push harder

So what? Not everyone wants to push harder. That's what you don't seem to be getting. Your attitude in this thread has been "if you aren't doing THE MOSTEST EVER STUFFZ AT THE GYM and if your muscles aren't SO SWOLE BRO then you suck," and you know what? That sucks. Not everyone wants to be Mr. Universe. Get over it.

Lmao thats not what I'm saying at all, what I'm saying is who works out without setting short term goals? Who works out and doesn't say I'm gonna do better than yesterday? Who does this?

You put all those things you said in your mind about me because of some preconceived notion and judgment you've made based on god know what, but nothing I've said in this entire thread eludes to me saying get buff and lift lift lift, what I'm saying is if you are over weight, you have to do the work to acheive your goals, you need to push past the boundaries you've set in your head that limits yourself, its not about being super buff or fast or superior its about optimizing the time you spend working out, seeing better results and getting out of your comfort zone.
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If all your doing is steady state cardio day in and day out then thats fine, but you're cheating yourselves out of progress ..
    If someone is losing weight doing it, how is that not progress?
    As i said before our bodies are highly adaptive, walking for an hour on a treadmill is not pushing your body to its limits, you'll eventually burn less and less calories, its ok to do some steady state cardio, i walk/jog 3.5 to 5 miles on the morning to kickstart my metabolism so i burn more cals throughout the day, but i also make sure to spend 15-20 mins a day on the treadmill and or the elliptical pushing my body.
    The metabolism doesn't need a kick start. It runs based on physical activity. And really all one has to do to make walking on a treadmill harder without increasing the speed is incline it.
    I didn't say HIIT was the only effective way to exercise, what i said was try something new, shock your body and see the results faster. If you can't do it then don't bash my post, start off slow and work your way up to it, because the fact of the matter is its a much much much more effective way than steady state cardio will ever be
    Steady state cardio has a place in fitness. The best fighters in the world do steady state cardio for endurance and to help keep their weight in check.
    If you don't like steady state cardio, that's fine, but don't bash it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I never bashed it, i even said i do steady state, do you guys read?!?!?! Lol what i said is if that ALL you do day in and day out then you're cheating yourself, mix it up a little bit .... why is that concept being so ill received
    How is one cheating themselves? If they are progressing at the rate they are comfortable with especially?
    And while progress might be acheived why not maximize that and optimize the time spent working out, hence cheating yourself ... and why wouldn't you do everything you can to burn more calories if losing body fat is the goal, if that means shocking the system or boosting metabolism then why would that be a bad thing? As i stated before our bodies are highly adaptive, you only get results for so long before it adapts and know longer responds the same, why not mix it up, keep it guessing and working hard to burn cals, fat, and build muscle?

Any professional athlete, bodybuilder, and trainer will tell you these are the basics.
    Any of those train that way. That's their basics. If you really want to talk basics, all one needs to do to lose weight is eat less than they burn. Exercise of any type is great for health and fitness, but you know as well as I do that calorie intake versus calories burned dictates energy balance in the body.
    There's nothing with working hard if that's something that person can do. But there are lots and lots of people that can't do HIIT. They body's, their age, their ability may not be able to handle it, especially if they start out obese on a program.
    I get what you're trying to say, but unless you're actually aware of all the types of people out there, you just can't push them to an exercise philosophy that you believe works best. It's best for you and maybe other athletes, but may not be for lots of the general population.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And that was my mistake, i see it now because thats where people's focus is

My goal of the post was to get people to get out of there familiar comfortable ways and to push themselves... hiit was an example ... if someone can walk hours on a treadmill they can definitely do some interval training, throw some jogging and sprints in there ...

It wasn't meant to come off as this is all you have to do and boom you're golden lol it was meant as an example to get people to push push push and then push some more.

Not sure where this message was lost, i felt it was clear but people took things super literal instead of seeing the overall message

For me, familiar and comfortable is sustainable. Pushing is useless if it makes you quit.

If pushing yourself a little each day or each week is what will make you quit then you aren't fully comitted to achieving your goals its as easy as that, if pushung yourself leads to you quitting then you were probably gonna quit to begin with you just found your excuse

If someone has the goal of fat loss and they have a low tolerance for exerting themselves and so they choose to use easier exercises and not push too hard in the gym, the net result may be that they don't reap maximal benefit from their training, but the trade off could be that they keep going to the gym instead of quitting.

And being consistent over several months is a LOT better than quitting.

This is an important thing to think about.

This is so true, but at what point does one get to the level that they can do more ? See what I'm saying?

I'm nit talking to people who its their first day, I'm talking to the people who consistently walk miles, do the same routines and who can and should push to the next level.. if you can walk miles on a treadmill then you can jog a little, possibly sprint and get the heart rate up more

I'm not saying first day in the gym go balls to the wall lol no I'm saying yes be consistent by all means but make small steps forward over time and push yourself, the hiit was an example not a *kitten* exercise plan..

• stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,507 Member
    Options
    If all your doing is steady state cardio day in and day out then thats fine, but you're cheating yourselves out of progress ..
    If someone is losing weight doing it, how is that not progress?
    As i said before our bodies are highly adaptive, walking for an hour on a treadmill is not pushing your body to its limits, you'll eventually burn less and less calories, its ok to do some steady state cardio, i walk/jog 3.5 to 5 miles on the morning to kickstart my metabolism so i burn more cals throughout the day, but i also make sure to spend 15-20 mins a day on the treadmill and or the elliptical pushing my body.
    The metabolism doesn't need a kick start. It runs based on physical activity. And really all one has to do to make walking on a treadmill harder without increasing the speed is incline it.
    I didn't say HIIT was the only effective way to exercise, what i said was try something new, shock your body and see the results faster. If you can't do it then don't bash my post, start off slow and work your way up to it, because the fact of the matter is its a much much much more effective way than steady state cardio will ever be
    Steady state cardio has a place in fitness. The best fighters in the world do steady state cardio for endurance and to help keep their weight in check.
    If you don't like steady state cardio, that's fine, but don't bash it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I never bashed it, i even said i do steady state, do you guys read?!?!?! Lol what i said is if that ALL you do day in and day out then you're cheating yourself, mix it up a little bit .... why is that concept being so ill received
    How is one cheating themselves? If they are progressing at the rate they are comfortable with especially?
    And while progress might be acheived why not maximize that and optimize the time spent working out, hence cheating yourself ... and why wouldn't you do everything you can to burn more calories if losing body fat is the goal, if that means shocking the system or boosting metabolism then why would that be a bad thing? As i stated before our bodies are highly adaptive, you only get results for so long before it adapts and know longer responds the same, why not mix it up, keep it guessing and working hard to burn cals, fat, and build muscle?

Any professional athlete, bodybuilder, and trainer will tell you these are the basics.
    Any of those train that way. That's their basics. If you really want to talk basics, all one needs to do to lose weight is eat less than they burn. Exercise of any type is great for health and fitness, but you know as well as I do that calorie intake versus calories burned dictates energy balance in the body.
    There's nothing with working hard if that's something that person can do. But there are lots and lots of people that can't do HIIT. They body's, their age, their ability may not be able to handle it, especially if they start out obese on a program.
    I get what you're trying to say, but unless you're actually aware of all the types of people out there, you just can't push them to an exercise philosophy that you believe works best. It's best for you and maybe other athletes, but may not be for lots of the general population.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And that was my mistake, i see it now because thats where people's focus is

My goal of the post was to get people to get out of there familiar comfortable ways and to push themselves... hiit was an example ... if someone can walk hours on a treadmill they can definitely do some interval training, throw some jogging and sprints in there ...

It wasn't meant to come off as this is all you have to do and boom you're golden lol it was meant as an example to get people to push push push and then push some more.

Not sure where this message was lost, i felt it was clear but people took things super literal instead of seeing the overall message
    Don't worry. Lots of people started out on a bad foot here, myself included. It's a great community and there are lots and lots of people who are well versed in exercise, fitness, and nutrition. There will also be lots of crap you'll hear and even for myself, I had to concede that some of the information I believed to be true, was actually incorrect after being introduced to more peer reviewed clinical studies. And that's okay. If you're learning, you're growing.
    BTW, I grew up in Fairfield. I went to Dover (which is now an adult continuation school), Sullivan, and Fairfield high. My parents still live there and I visit them every couple of weeks. I can say it's WAY DIFFERENT than when I grew up there from the 70's through the 90's.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This discussion has been closed.