cycling friendly (concealed) holster

Options

Replies

• petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I live in a small, "safe" community but I've contemplated carrying while I'm out walking, especially in the mornings when it isn't light out yet. I haven't done it yet for this very reason...trying to find a holster that works with exercise clothes. You just never know who you will encounter, no matter how small or safe your area is.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    image-sport-belt-holster-Classic.png?3629253768942622654

Seriously! You can do yoga with this, cycle, run, wear it with your PJs.

http://www.cancanconcealment.com/collections/sport-belt-holster

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I carry a G30 from Glock in a SmartCarry holster. I wear jeans when I bike. It might not work with spandex biking shorts.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    any suggestions? All my go-to brands require a heavy duty belt, but that's not gonna work with exercise clothing.
    Have a compact (p238.)

Considered top bar bag, but it feels like a bad idea in general.

A light amount of printing is OK. A shell would be nice.

Material questions here would be what type of threat you're intending to defend against, and what sort of riding you do, and whether you're riding with someone else who will be delivering supporting fire?

Also, what sort of notice you're likely to need to use it, noting that you're not carrying in the ready state. My personal pistol is a Sigg229 which uses a de-cocking, rather than a safety. That's fine in a covert set-up but not for something like riding.

What are your preferences in terms of carrying already? There is little point in recommending something that sits on the chest if you're not comfortable with that, equally I wouldn't recommend something at the high port if you're on a road bike.
    Sig P238 in condition 1, and a Ruger SP101 I carry IWB currently.

It's tough - the ruger is an anchor. But I'd prefer my .357 wheelgun to a .380 SA when dealing with 4 legged predators.

I ride solo.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Lizarking: To which well regulated militia are you a member?

On-target question (pun intended).
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    How flexible are you on the concealed requirement?

Is this for every day use, or for when society crumbles?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This article has a lot of links to variety of options. Hopefully, you will find it beneficial.

http://thewellarmedwoman.com/carrying-concealed-while-jogging

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Maybe a shoulder holster since there will be less moving and potential rubbing by your arms as opposed to the legs? I like the idea of the 5.11 tactical shirt or briefs as well.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It does bring up an interesting question though. My workout clothes vary - I have some stuff that is more constricting / tight fitting, while other times I wear looser stuff. It probably comes down to having to try a couple of things.

Like others have brought up, my biggest concern would be fall impact. Where can you carry and not hurt movement or ride position yet attempt to minimize potential additional damage in a fall. If the majority of your riding position would allow for something more along the lines of under the arm / arm pit, I would look there. I've seen some nice compact ones in the past, need to talk to my friend and see where he got his and I'll post a link once I find out.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have a question if you guys/girls dont mind.

As an english person the whole concept of carrying a weapon with me while out on a bike or running seems totally alien but that's irrelevant.

From a purely ease of access point of view where would you wear a belt such as the one thats pictured further up the thread? I will always wear on the bike bib shorts/leggings and cycle jersey with however many layers are needed on top according to the conditions. The cycling jerseys have the usual 3 pockets and they are stuffed with food, puncture kit, wallets, phone keys no maybe a rain cape.

Assuming you wear that belt concealed under the jersey you would end up with all that stuff on top of the gun or guns. Would that not make them a pain to get to in a hurry if you needed to which kind of in my eyes defeats the object? You can hardly stop and say 'just one second' to the attacker/wild animal thats approaching meaning you need to get to them. Add to that most cycling gloves in the winter I would imagine make operating the safety and pulling the trigger even more of a nightmare?

Surely if the above is the case in all but the most extreme situations using the bike you're on to simply ride away would be the preferred choice?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Last time one of these car crash holster threads popped up, before it got nuked, I think people said carrying whilst exercising could ruin your gun if you didn't meticulously clean it afterwards due to sweat.

Aside from that, even if I could carry one i wouldn't. I know I wouldn't have the presence of mind to quickly and efficiently get the thing out, off its safety and fired at whatever was coming for me at any useful speed. And also, guns are terrifying to me.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    Add to that most cycling gloves in the winter I would imagine make operating the safety and pulling the trigger even more of a nightmare?

It's important to be able to get to your brakes instantly to control your bike. That limits how bulky gloves can be. Also, we're talking about cardiovascular exercise, it warms you up, so you don't want gloves made for, say, downhill skiing.

The gloves that work best for me on the bike are thin merino wool ones, 100 to 150 grams per square meter. Like a thin base layer, for your hands. They're enough warmth for 35 F and raining, but not too much. And they're very thin. I can control the brake and shifters with these, and use the touch screen on my phone and bike computer. I can light a candle in them.

Gothic-Glove-Nautic-Grey.png
  • BluGnat
    BluGnat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is the one I use for biking/running. I love the versatility, though obviously it's not very firearm-specific (I've got Alien Gear for that): https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/pistol-wear/