Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Options

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    @wishfuljune 30 minutes is no joke, way to go!!!

@jdelaroy White chocolate covered oreos are my downfall too, I can't keep them in the house. It sounds like you've made some great strides towards having a better, healthier day today though!

@ShyCush6 Great job sticking with your goals and turning down dessert/booze

@gemwolf110 I love your idea of goals, your dogs are going to love yours!

I love @gemwolf110's idea of posting goals for December so here are mine:

1) Do not go over 2200 calories (average) on weekends and stay under 2000 calories on weekdays
    2) Do 5 workouts/week
    3) Join the Y
    4) Continue to walk my dog every morning, no matter how cold it gets
    5) Track all of the Christmas holiday to stay as on-track as possible while out of town
  • glacier81
    glacier81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kate...I would love to find a group for support as well. I also took a break from MFP for quite awhile and am back trying to start over. I work a stressful desk job. Have gained quite a bit of weight in the last two years and am just disgusted with myself. I want to feel better! I also have a beautiful 13 year old daughter and I want to start setting a better example of health for her!
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    OMG Shy I laughed out loud at your thanksgiving weekend shenanigans! HA!! We are totally kindred spirits - jagger bombs? You are speaking my language! (of course I love wine too LOL). And whaaaat? You live kitty corner to a pub? hello I would be an alcoholic. We can't even walk to a pub from our house, but we can ride our cruiser bikes there! So fun. Glad you had a good weekend.

June - what the heck? 30 push ups? Seriously! HIGH FIVE!! :)

Rachel - I've never seen Gilmore Girls, but I do hate it when I'm disappointed watching one of my fav shows! Hope your alarm went off this morning. :) I also hate it that it is so dark these days. I basically have to go to the gym early in the morning at least a few days a week, because lots of times I will just drive right home after work, and jump into yoga pants and hibernate! It will be nice in the new year when it starts getting lighter longer again. My hubs walks the dog in the morning when he drops off our son at school, so I don't get out at night walking the dog in the dark, I don't find it enjoyable!

Jen, good for you for signing up for a mud run, I'm too chicken for that stuff! I keep thinking I'm way too old for that (41)!! LOL. Mostly I think I would make a huge fool of myself and have an epic fail and not finish it! So good for you. My coworker did one and she trained by hiking up hill mostly. Not sure what else she did, but the girls have given you lots of good ideas. :)

Yes, the Minimalist Christmas is awesome. Actually it took a few years of hounding my family about minimalism to get to this point, but now that everyone is on board, it's magic. We are doing one gift each, and a stocking. And no gift exchanges with friends or adults in the family. My 9 yo doesn't believe in Santa anymore, so there ya go! Makes it even easier. We have a tradition on Xmas that we wake up, open gifts and eat cinnamon buns (obviously doesn't take long LOL), then we get changed and go ice skating at the outdoor rink for an hour or two. Then we come home to a special breakfast of stuff I only make on Christmas. I told my hubs I love this tradition because our kids won't remember what they got for gifts later in life, but they will remember that we ice skating every Christmas morning as a family. :smiley:

I feel discouraged a bit, even though I have been going to the gym, the food consumption is a huge problem at the moment! SIGH x a million. Gotta keep working on it.

I love everyone's goals, they are very inspiring for me, and motivating.
    My goals for December are:
    ~ Track every day - EVEN IF I AM OVER (gahhhh)
    ~ gym 5 x a week - even if I don't feel like it! LOL
    ~ positive attitude about weight loss and achieving goals - even though that seems harder than it should!
    ~ be conscious of healthier food choices this month. Prep veggies/drink water/stay away from high fat/salt stuff as much as possible.
    ~ I was going to say cut back on the booze, but I think I will leave that one for now.... HA!
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    @rachel0778 I like the December goal thing to. I will add them at the end.

@sproutismyhero Welcome to the group. Just check in when you can. You can do this.

@bluepoppies777 You and Shy crack me up. You guys could be twins! :) I haven't actually signed up yet, I will though. There is no way you can be too old. I am turning 40 in 22 days, and I refuse to believe I am too old to go run a 10k (I can barely run, but that isn't because I am old. It is because I was a lazy *kitten* for so much of my life)

I think my blues are gone this morning. Maybe it has something to do with it being Friday!

Tomorrow I am having a date with the BF... Hmm what to do what to do, any ideas? I need some fun ideas for my 40th Birthday? It is on Christmas eve, so I will have to either do it before or after the actual day.

My December goals:

~Stay under calories, except on my birthday and Christmas day.
    ~walk at work 4 times a day (may even add in some light jogging)
    ~to keep working on my incline pushups 3-4 times a week
    ~Gym 3-4 times a week
    ~do not eat all the Christmas goodies I plan on baking.

Have a great and safe weekend everyone!
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @jdelaroy For a fun Christmas themed date, check to see if there are lights displays or ice castles in your area. My SO and I have so much fun going out to the lights displays and then heading to a local pub for mulled wine and live music.

@bluepoppies777 I love the idea of ice skating on Christmas, that sounds absolutely magical! I probably do need to get in the habit of getting up early again. Blergh.

Welcome Kate! Keep posting!

TGIF!!!! My SO has got some friends coming into town tonight when all I want to do is curl up on the couch in my PJs and watch holiday movies. Since we got into town so late on Sunday night I've literally had no time to relax and now I get to play hostess. Ugh. Saturday we also have his work party that I have to go to so it looks like I won't get any rest until Sunday (when I have to clean our house since it hasn't been done since before the holiday, eek!). I love the holiday season, but I just wish there were a few less celebratory events.
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    dxcp65qydpzy.jpg
  • bluepoppies777
    Options
    Happy Friday!!

I love that meme - is that particularly for me, Rachel? LOL! :)

Jen, what about ice skating for your birthday? or something active that could be a bit romantic... picturing snow falling, you guys ice skating and holding hands, looking cute with mittens and hat on! My birthday is in September, and my fav things to do usually include a hike or a bike ride and sushi. But being Christmas time, it would be winter activities, which are still fun. I love to snow shoe! Or you could try cross country skiing? I've never done that, but I would like to try that too. When I go snow shoeing with my friends, we bring lunch and sit in the snow and eat it, sharing fruit and veggies, crackers and cheese, nuts and stuff. You could bring a flask of booze and make it even more fun! ha!

Rachel, hope you have fun at the party, and having friends over. Sounds like a busy weekend! Will be nice to get the cleaning done and relax for the rest of sunday.

We are getting our tree and doing all the decorating tomorrow! I just have 2 more stocking stuffers to get today after work, and I'm done all my Christmas shopping... then I can drink rum and eggnog while we decorate and relax!

Update on my goals posted yesterday: I had a big NSV yesterday and logged every single thing, and I didn't go over my cals. PLUS I wanted to cave and eat something sweet last night, but I didn't! Felt really good this morning when I woke up - I was reminded that when I say no to things, I actually feel better and happier than when I say yes. Because if I would have eat candy or ice cream, this morning I would have felt gross and disappointed. So it's like reverse mind training. No is good!

Also, I woke up at 5:15am and went to the gym. So I was thinking, maybe (just maybe) instead of my 5 x a week goal for the gym, I could work out every single day of December. Can't be that hard to find 20 - 30 mins a day for me... so I will attempt it! Should help in keeping the motivation going, and the stress down, and the positivity up!

Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!
  • sarahshealthy
    sarahshealthy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I feel a sickness coming on and I struggle with staying on track while I'm sick. I've been doing so well and finally came over the plateau that I hit in July. Ahhh Florida and it's bipolar weather!!
  • myselv1
    myselv1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I feel a sickness coming on and I struggle with staying on track while I'm sick. I've been doing so well and finally came over the plateau that I hit in July. Ahhh Florida and it's bipolar weather!!

Vitamin C and lots of liquids!

Hang in there!
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @bluepoppies777 Great job setting your alarm so early! I'm rooting for you on your December goal. You're welcome to join me in my holiday wine "workout" lol

@sarahshealthy Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Stock up on broth based soups and protein ice cream (halo top). Those both get me through illnesses without blowing the calorie bank

@gemwolf110 I'm right there with you. The "treats" siren keeps calling my name

@myselv1 Welcome!

So...I did so well Friday and Saturday and then proceeded to binge on Sunday. But that binge made me realize something. I've been trying to restrict to get to some ideal "vanity" weight, but my BMI is healthy, my clothes fit great, and I feel great. Screw vanity weight, I'm going into maintenance! Vanity pounds are not worth starting the binge cycle again. I'm still going to track my food and I'm still going to rock it at the gym and check in here, but I am now committed to making sure that the bingeing habit doesn't come back instead of trying to make some arbitrary number on the scale appear. I'm also committed to enjoying this holiday season and not stressing.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    @bluepoppies777 - Wow, congrats on getting to the gym that early in the morning! I can do that in the summer time when the sun's up, but not in the winter. I have no motivation when it's dark outside and my bed is warm and comfy.

@sarahshealthy - Soup, tea, and good tv!

@gemwolf110 - It's hard this time of year, for sure. You'll push through though - just stay positive!

@myselv1 - Welcome to the thread! Post whenever you can/like. :)

@Rachel0778 - That's a great idea. If you're in the healthy BMI and you feel great, why push it for vanity? I like your positivity and congratulations on making it to maintenance. :)

I lost 1.5 lb last week! It felt great to see that number go down. Then I had pizza and beer. :P I went to the gym every day this weekend, and bench pressed 115lb for 5 reps (even though my personal trainer wanted me to do 10... I'm not that strong yet!) for 4 sets. Not bad. I'm going to try and stay pretty close to my target calories this week and not be tempted to eat all of the chocolate I bought at the Lindt store last weekend.

December Goals:
    - Accurately track in MFP, even in on the weekends!
    - Go to the gym 5 x a week.
    - Try to save up calories for when I'm going to binge on the weekends.
    - Stay positive! :)
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @wishfuljune Great job on the loss and on the lifting! Benching 115 is no joke!

@gemwolf110 Better late than never! Sorry to hear about your rolled ankle though :(

I got really frustrated at derby last night. I am by far the worst newbie, and normally it doesn't bug me because I'm just doing my best but it really got to me last night that I can't do what the other people can. Everyone is so nice and so helpful, but with the test next week I hate that I'm the only person who can't skate a lap within the allotted time or turn around successfully :(

My newbie friends swear it's because I haven't gotten my sticky wheels yet (they're coming in on Wednesday) but a part of me thinks that that won't be enough :( I'm going in over the weekend for some extra practice time and I can retake the test Thursday if I fail. It just sucks being the absolute worst.
  • wishfuljune
    Options
    @Rachel0778 - Thank you!! I appreciate it! :) And I agree with @gemwolf110 - it might be the wheels! Wait to see how they feel when you skate the lap with the sticky wheels. I understand your feelings of frustration, but your team is staying positive, and they believe in you. If you beat yourself up too much, the negativity will get in the way of you having fun. You're going to pass that test!

@gemwolf110 - Glad to hear that your ankle is feeling better! Do you have an ornament for every puppy? That is the cutest!

I didn't end up going to the gym yesterday; my upper back was in a lot of pain. Will probably go tonight now that it is feeling a little bit better. Need to make up for missing it yesterday anyway. I made cranberry chocolate chip oatmeal cookies (only 91 calories per serving, so not bad!) and brought them into work as a kind treat for everyone. They were gone in less than two hours! I didn't expect them to disappear that quickly, but they did. Probably for the best; I have a handful of them at home still anyway.
  • ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Gem: Great goals!! Hope your ankle is feeling better! Maybe a elliptical instead of the treadmill would be better for the ankle… less pounding on it… Hope you find your baby an ornament!! I got my puppy one too!

Jelaroy: Those damn Oreos! I can’t have them in my house!! =) You are never too old!!! You got this babe!!

Sprout: Welcome Kate! I have a 15 year old daughter and feel the same way!! They learn from us!

Joy: I knew I loved you!! =) We are so much alike!! We need to party together some time… I mean eat apples and almonds together… =) Yes… having the neighborhood bar across the street is a challenge! Hope you are ready for the holiday shenanigans, cuz I’m sure they will be just as good! LOL! We eat cinnamon buns every Christmas morning too!!! Too funny! Ok… cut back the booze until a week before Christmas? =) We can do that together! OMG!! My birthday is in September too… I do the same things… hike, kayak, bike ride…. Woah!! I’ve never cross country skied either but I do love downhill skiing! Good times! Way to go on the charting Thursday & gym Friday!!! Sweet!

Rachel: I love that idea for a Christmas theme date!! I get so tired of playing hostess sometimes… There are times I let the hubby go out and I do stay home curled up on the couch watching Christmas movies!! I have no issue with that! He’s not a fan… Oh well! Hope you had a good weekend and found some time to chill… Way to go… I think you are in a good frame of mind… maintenance… Sounds like you are on track for a great holiday season! Proud of you!! I believe it is the sticky wheels… You are so motivated and determined… You will have it in no time!

June: Way to go on the loss and the gym! Keep up the great work! You will get there!! Your cookies sound delicious!!

So Friday the hubby and I went shopping together and had a nice day… we did go out for pizza for lunch but it was this new place.. there wasn’t an ounce of grease in the pan… It was delicious! We didn’t buy a lot but got some good ideas. Friday night we went out with his bowling team and had a couple… Saturday, we met friends out for a met raffle at a bar… I won the first 4 times I played… got 2 free drinks, a brisket and bacon & eggs… Not too bad! Then Lexi and I chilled out watching the Badger game Sat evening… We were invited to my brother-in-laws for a party but I didn’t want to drink and Lexi was tired so we stayed home… Sunday, Lexi and I went to my parents and baked some cookies with my mom. Then Monday, my mom, dad, sister, her hubby, my hubby, Lexi and I took the day and went Christmas shopping! I did awesome!! Got over 12k steps in and bought all my gifts! Spent last night wrapping and watching the Grinch movie! I will finish wrapping tonight.. I don’t have much left to do! I’m just about ready for the holiday! This weekend is the Ugly Sweater Bar Crawl… I have a quite hideous outfit picked out and am looking forward to having some fun with friends! I’ll get some steps in at least! =) I better work on getting my workouts in good this week to get ready for that!!
  • bluepoppies777
    Options
    Hi ladies! Update on my December goals:
    Track every day: Fail... actually epic fail. Why is this so hard??? Does anyone else have this problem? Gah!
    Gym 5 x week (changed to do something every day): Check! I have done something active every day, sunday was really stretching it, but yesterday I made up for it with lots of exercise, including a long walk last night that I forgot to track.
    Positive attitude: check/fail. Having the good days/bad days with my inner dialogue! Still working on it.
    Healthier food choices: Check/fail. Did buy and prep veggies, that was good! Also have had some healthy meals. But then last night baked muffins and loaf and ate way too much of it! GAHH! Carbs are my #1 problem.
    Cut back on booze: I knew I wouldn't be able to do this. Epic fail. Been drinking a LOT of rum and eggnog - I've been feeling really Christmas-y and festive, and I'm excited about christmas, so I've been enjoying a little too much of that good stuff!! LOL

Rachel - I agree with everyone, get your fancy wheels on and then give yourself the biggest pep talk in the world. tell yourself you are going to rock the *kitten out of this skating test - and then kill it! Confidence x a million! You can do it, we believe in you!
    Also, good idea with the maintenance. I was thinking you know what? I should do maintenance too. LOL then I thought nope, can't do maintenance when I still have 30+ lbs left to lose!!! HA! Good for you for reaching your goals!

Gem - hope your ankle heals up fast! I hate injuries, it's frustrating when you want to do stuff and you are held back with pain. Cute about the ornaments for the pooches! We used to do a new ornament in each stocking every year, but this year we aren't going to do it. Our tree is full, so I will leave it for this year.

June - I like your goals, ours are similar! And good for you for the weigh lifting - you are killing it! Good work on the weight loss!!

Shy - my twin! :) LOL we should definitely party, I have a sneaking suspicion that it would turn into a gong show somehow! HA!! Good for you for being done your shopping too. I'm happy I'm done too (more time to drink rum and eggnog... errr I mean more gym time in December!) The ugly sweater pub crawl sounds hilar! I love watching the christmas movies too. last night my younger son and I watched Yogi Bear's Christmas. It's from when I was a kid! We already watching Christmas Vacation on the weekend as a family - that's a yearly tradition.

I'm going to an ugly sweater Christmas party this Saturday night too. Only ladies (8 of us who worked together about 12 years ago and still get together). It gets CRAZY fun, our husbands take turns driving us all home after events because we get into trouble (been kicked out of places before). It's at one of the ladies houses this time, so we should be good! LOL. Let's just say I won't be tracking that evening, there's no way I would even want to know the cals in the drinks!!!

Going to spin class after work. And will wake up early tomorrow morning and get my butt to the gym! have a great day everyone!
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    @Rachel0778 Maintenance is a great place to be for the holidays. Gives yourself a little more breathing room. I bet you will rock your skating test. Give yourself a break, you haven't been doing this for much more than a month.

@wishfuljune I second the request for your cookie recipe, I am always looking for new things to bake. Monday I made pumpkin spice muffins. They are pretty low calorie, so a great snack or pick me up.

@ShyCush6 and @bluepoppies777 Ok you two seriously need to meet and I want to be there when you do. I can just imagine all the shenanigans you guys will get into.

@gemwolf110 I get a new ornament every year for the kids to put on the tree. When they leave home they will get all their ornaments to hang on their tree. Hopefully, it will be a good tradition they will be able to carry on with their families.

Well the last few days have been weird. I have not really been in the Christmas mood. Hopefully getting my tree up tonight. Made it to the gym Saturday and Sunday. It was a lot of fun, and I am sure I will go lots more. Monday was a total bust. I barely moved, ate like crap and just sucked. Oh well. Tuesday was a fantastic day. I am still slowly losing weight. I probably won't make the goal of getting to 200, but I am determined to get close. Yesterday, I reached 210.4 pounds, that is 40 pounds down and I am super happy about that.
    I turn 40 in a few weeks, and to be 40 pounds lighter and so much healthier is awesome. I couldn't think of a better birthday gift to give myself.
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    @jdelaroy 40lbs is amazing!!!! You are absolutely rocking it! I hope your Christmas mood comes back in time for the holiday. Putting up the tree always helps mine too

@gemwolf110 I love the idea of stockings for the pups! Chance always gets a present to open at Christmas but I bet he'd love to pull it out of a stocking. And please take care of that ankle. I know it's hard to be out of commission, but you'll heal much faster if you care for it now

@bluepoppies777 Your friends sound like a lot of fun! I hope you enjoy your night out to the fullest! I'm definitely in the Christmas mood too which does make it really hard not to overindulge! Tracking for me has become second nature though. I just do it in the morning and then don't think about it for the rest of the day. I figure if I'm going to go on maintenance I better still keep track of things so I don't start going the other direction!

@ShyCush6 I absolutely love curling up with Christmas movies too! I watched a couple cheesy ones on Netflix last night instead of going to the gym...whoops! Tonight I'll do much better about my activity. I hope you have fun at your ugly sweater bar crawl! We do the 12 Bars of Christmas with our friends as well and it's always a blast!

@wishfuljune How is your back feeling today? Those cookies do sound amazing!

Thank you everyone for the pep talk. I definitely needed that! The wheels should be getting in today so hopefully I'll notice a huge difference when I hit the gym!

Tonight we've got a fundraiser at Pizza Ranch. I've never been there before so it should be fun and I hear they have a salad bar so I have some healthy options :) I've got 3 parties in a row this weekend so I'm banking my calories for then. I've also got to shop for Secret Santa, the Sock Exchange, and bake cookies for the cookie swap! The holidays definitely get busier as I get older!

My dog refused to go on his walk for the third morning in a row (he's decided it's too cold. I reminded him that he's a Minnesota dog and 24 degrees is not THAT cold). I decided to go without him because I miss having that morning activity before work. It sets me up to be active throughout the day which I really need, especially since I've fallen into lazy habits like sitting on the couch after work and skipping the gym last night to watch Christmas movies. This season is when I'm supposed to be more active, not less!
  • wishfuljune
    Options
    For those that asked, I modified the recipe from this website: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/oatmeal-cranberry-sandwich-cookies-with-white-chocolate-creme-filling/
    I didn't do the white chocolate creme filling, and I did 1/2 cup reduced sugar cranberries, and 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips. I ate four last night, oops. :o

@ShyCush6 - That Ugly Sweater Bar Crawl sounds amazing! How many bars will you hit up?

@bluepoppies777 - I admire your dedication to the gym and spin class! I have such a hard time getting up and going to work, let alone getting up earlier to go to the gym when it's cold and dark out! I have a hard time tracking every day too. Since I premake a lot of my food, I try to put it into my diary before I eat it, and then I'll supplement any additional snacks I have. I get worried and sad when I go over my calories, but I have to tell myself I need to track it because otherwise, how will I learn not to eat that much?

@jdelaroy - 40 pounds is amazing and you should be so proud of yourself for what you've accomplished!! We all have those days when we eat like crap, but you're still losing weight because you're pushing through. You've got this! :)

@Rachel0778 - Sounds like you've got a very busy weekend! Hopefully the salad bar at Pizza Ranch is decent too. Aww, poor pup-pup! Good for you for still going on your walk though! I have been thinking about going on walks in the morning, but it's cold here too in Rhode Island.

Yesterday was a bottomless pit stomach kind of day, so I ate way over my calories, even with the gym trip. I have spin class tonight, and then we have personal training tomorrow. I am going to not eat over my calories for the rest of the week! I'm setting my foot down now on that.

• ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Joy: I’m good at tracking breakfast, lunch and snacks before dinner… but to go back and do dinner… I suck at it!! Way to go on the activity though!! Carbs are the devil!! We watch Christmas Vacation every year as well!! Love that!! Alcohol is a calorie killer!! I broke down and had brandy slush last night.. I made a new batch and you can’t let others have some without trying it to make sure it tastes yummy….. errrr….. right? Enjoy your Ugly sweater party!! Sounds like a blast!! Can I come!!

Gem: I love filling my pups sticking with goodies!! She got her favorite peanut butter treats this year! I’m thinking about making a homemade dog treat too… Might be fun for all the neighbor gifts as they all have dogs too!!

Jdelaroy: Ha! I would love to meet you and Joy!! That would be a good time! Happy 40th!!! That’s awesome!! You should be proud!!! Way to go!! Now get that “kitten” in to the Christmas spirit! =) Christmas puts a smile on my face just thinking about it!! =)

So I busted butt cleaning last night… I didn’t get a work out in but I did wake up early and get one in this morning before work! Weighed myself and down a lb! Woot! Woot! Just that one pound feels like progress!! Lately I have been struggling! I did break down and have some brandy slush and those damn buckeyes are the devil… basically a peanut butter ball! To save refrigerator space, I store them out on my back deck, so if I want one I need to go out in the cold to get one! =) So far it hasn’t been cold enough to ignore them!! =( So here’s hoping I can continue my down hill trek and keep them lbs coming off! Great job ladies! Hope you have a great day!!