Long exercise purely to eat more?

Options

Replies

• _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it was long exercise for me, but I do at least 60 minutes of cardio every single day just so I can have a larger meal while still losing weight at ~2 pounds per week.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    miratps wrote: »
    miratps wrote: »
    I do this, initially it was just to lose weight but now technically I should be at maintenance. I have decided, I want to eat chocolate etc. again so I make sure I have more than enough cals to eat whatever the hell I like at night

Cool so its semi normal im hearing as long as it doesnt effect my life. I started as a way to increase my defecit, And ensure i had enough calories for a few beers a week. Maybe a pizza or something. I love pizza ;D

For me that's satisfying. Having that fear of logging something like a whole pizza or something pretty big but realising you still have plenty of room for something else big and nasty...... especially if you get the 'low cal' pizza options

A thin crust pizza (decent size) from the store is under 800 calories. Sucks if you only have 1200 a day, But super doable if you burn a few hundred off walkign for another m eal in your day. Yum. I don't really get any guilt over it. Just work to make it fit :p Helps that i walk 4 miles just to buy it from the store when i want it :)

Look at my diary for yesterday. My thin-crust pizza is fun and easy to make, and gives me ~400 calories.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love to build and reinforce the connection in my brain between food and energy. I feel like that is a healthy attitude toward nutrition and activity. That being said, I feel like there is a line that could potentially be crossed if the drive to exercise or the drive to binge eat are obsessive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It probably takes a professional to diagnose a real problem. Although it is extremely common for people to exercise so they can eat more or as punishment for indulging, I really don't like that mindset. Exercise should mostly be done to improve fitness and make your quality of life better. Calorie burn and it's helpfulness to weight loss is a bonus. I know every now and then an extra hard or long workout to offset and indulgence isn't a big deal, but it shouldn't be the norm.

This is pretty much where I stand...
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I maintain at just about 1400 cals. You bet I walk a lot to get more food! LOL I would like to find some balance, tho. Learn to be content with fewer treats so I can have time for a hobby or something. :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Okay so if anyones here. Here is my fitbits stats, I got a new job and celebrated walking more :p If my fitbit says 2600 calories, And my food log says to eat 2600 calories, Which do i listen to closer?

If iv only burned 2,600 calories wouldnt eating 2600 calories put me at even with no weight loss? Normally i eat a few hundred back of what it gives me, Never had it give me 1400 extra calories back from exercise before not sure what to do LOL

dabp5sd22u0z.png
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I do this alot ill walk 10-15 miles just so i can eat more, Lots more with that many miles.

Never really considered if this is normal or healthy or not. Anyone else do this? Sometimes i just really like to eat bulk food instead of 1200 calories. And i like walking so why not really. -shrugs- Been working for me so far. Kind of like planned indulging

Anyone know if this could be bad for me going from 1200 to closer to 2,000-2500 with walking some days at random.

Burn to earn. Be it walking, cycling, running, swimming. Cardio can burn huge calories so you can indeed chow down. I love my weekend bike training rides (or races) that are usually 1000 - 2000 calories of burn.

You can also use the longer exercise to balance out the CICO equation in your favor (be it to equal a deficit, or maintenance).

It's pretty normal stuff. So you're good.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If I had all the time in the world I would rather do hours of walking/exercise and eat at maintenance to create a deficit. However due to working full time it's not possible so I compromise with however much exercise fits my schedule.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It probably takes a professional to diagnose a real problem. Although it is extremely common for people to exercise so they can eat more or as punishment for indulging, I really don't like that mindset. Exercise should mostly be done to improve fitness and make your quality of life better. Calorie burn and it's helpfulness to weight loss is a bonus. I know every now and then an extra hard or long workout to offset and indulgence isn't a big deal, but it shouldn't be the norm.

That's exactly what she's doing. Exercising allows her to meet her goals and eat a pizza, which improves her quality of life. Which is what you prescribed.

This is true...but it can also be a slippery slope...

Certainly one of the advantages for me of regular exercise is to be able to just live life and not give a ton of thought to my diet (though I eat pretty well)...particularly when it comes to beer...but it's not the "reason" I guess...

I don't really ever think, "hey...I'm going out for pizza with my kiddos Saturday...better do a bunch of unplanned exercise to make up for it." I think you can easily get into a situation where exercise becomes punishment or penance which isn't a healthy mindset IMO.

IDK, I just exercise regularly...I enjoy a good ride...I guess it generally means that I can enjoy my beers without much thought, but I just don't think about that so much. I ride to ride...
  • JaydedMiss
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Okay so if anyones here. Here is my fitbits stats, I got a new job and celebrated walking more :p If my fitbit says 2600 calories, And my food log says to eat 2600 calories, Which do i listen to closer?

If iv only burned 2,600 calories wouldnt eating 2600 calories put me at even with no weight loss? Normally i eat a few hundred back of what it gives me, Never had it give me 1400 extra calories back from exercise before not sure what to do LOL

dabp5sd22u0z.png

Anyone? Id like to not under/overeat
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I follow MFP for calories in, and let fitbit handle calories out. Following 2 different paths to the same destination can get confusing, if that makes sense??

Did you set a deficit in your fitbit app? How much did fitbit say you had left to eat for the day (screenshot below)? If you have both mfp and fitbit set with the same deficit, eg -500 calories per day, then they should roughly match up at the end of the day.

daqojhro7nn4.png
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    I follow MFP for calories in, and let fitbit handle calories out. Following 2 different paths to the same destination can get confusing, if that makes sense??

Did you set a deficit in your fitbit app? How much did fitbit say you had left to eat for the day (screenshot below)? If you have both mfp and fitbit set with the same deficit, eg -500 calories per day, then they should roughly match up at the end of the day.

daqojhro7nn4.png

They do not match up :o Fitbit is set to -750 calories (1.5 pounds) and gives me 2359 total calorie to eat. MFP is set to -2 pounds a week And actually gives me 2600 to eat. Super backwards, Super confused.

Especially when my fitbit says iv only burned 2600..Wheres the negative anything. ..Although its jumped to almost 2800 now...Im beggining to not trust anything :D