December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    My Running coach/Aunt just told me to slow down. She wants me running 10:40 pace on my long runs, the 10:20 I ran on Saturday was faster than she wants.....ugh...I know it's good having a trainer, but man, I'm going to have to get used to running slower and having someone call me on it when I go too fast.
    @MNLittleFinn That's why I don't think I'd do well with a coach. To me, 10:20 and 10:40 are essentially the same. Happy Runniversary, BTW! You're kickin' kitten!!

patrikc333 wrote: »
    Hi guys, do you have a particular type of gloves to suggest? I tried many different ones, but my hands freeze super easilly even at 3-4C and before investing more money I thought to ask for an advice.

@patrikc333 I think it's such an individual thing that it'd be hard to make a suggestion. I have 3 different pair of different weights, the thickest being a pair of touchscreen compatible gloves I bought at Costco this year. If it gets too cold or windy for those, I switch to mittens, my favorite being a pair of "glommits" which make it easy to regulate the heat, particularly when storing a chemical hand warmer in the finger portion of the mitt. So I guess my suggestion is to get 2 or 3 pair of different weight gloves as well as a pair of mittens.

My Costco gloves:
    4dq189nnds6a.jpg

@Stoshew71 enjoy the carbo load! What types of foods are you using for that?

I second the mittens idea>>>much warmer than gloves
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

exercise.png

1st: 3.16 miles Wk8:D3 C210k - MTD 3.16
    2nd: 0 miles - MTD 3.16
    3rd: 4.24 miles, 3.11 LH Park Run, Wk9:D1 C210k, 1.13 warm up and cool down - MTD 7.39
    4th: 0 miles - MTD 7.39
    5th: 0 miles - MTD 7.39
    6th: 4.1 miles with my running club. Really pleased with my run, even though it was cold and damp - MTD 11.49
    7th: 0 miles, over 6 miles on my Fitbit from purposeful walking, strength training - MTD 11.49

@9voice9 - we share a birthday. I'm getting gait analysis and orthotics (if I need them) for mine. :D:D:D
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My goal is 50 miles this month. My job is crying for us to pick up overtime.

12/2....4.73 miles on the treadmill, rolling hills, pace at 13:20, average heart rate at 82% max.
    12/4....2.85 miles on the treadmill.
    12/7....3.52 miles on the treadmill, max heart rate at 88% max heart rate, pace at 13:02.

Only 4.5 hours sleep. Early evening work meeting. Not really in the mood but felt good running tonight.

Total...11.1 miles
    Goal....50 miles.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @shanaber - happy birthday last week! The dog friendly hotel sounded so nice! Was Hobbes good when/if you left him in the room alone? We used to have a golden retriever that we went to hotels with and he was always good. But then my husband's family from Munich came over with their little Dachshund. We went to a pet friendly hotel with them in Miami and their dog barked and cried the entire time we were gone and destroyed part of the carpet trying to escape. But in Germany the dog goes everywhere with them, so I guess he just wasn't used to being alone.
    @ddmom0811 - Thank you! Hobbes is very good when we leave him in the hotel. We take his crate though so he isn't loose in the room when we aren't with him. I am pretty sure he thinks it is just normal for him to be there with us riding in the elevators and visiting with everyone.
    I hope your hands and knees are feeling better!
    @OSUbuckeye906 - I love football, both college and pro. I grew up in Idaho so I am a big Boise State fan and my husband went to UCLA so we watch them. On the pro side I have been a 49ers fan since I was a little kid and I am a big Packers fan. My college roommate's boyfriend played for Greenbay so we started following them and have been fans ever since.
    @Elise4270 - damn girl! :noway: I was sure you were going to get good news from the PT and I'm so sorry it wasn't. Hopefully with the winter it will go by fast and you can get started back with some great springtime running!
    @Virkati - Congratulations on the job!! WhooHoo!
    I don't have a lot of experience with dogs in the cold/snow. When my daughter was in Baltimore she would put Ruffware shoes on her Lab but more to protect his feet from the salt they put on the roads and sidewalks. When they were on trails or in a park he would just run in the snow with no shoes and had no issues. I suppose with the cold Apollo's feet could be more sensitive and the road/rocks could bother him more too.

Rest day for me today. I am super sore from my training last night. I expected I would be sore since I didn't lift a single weight the entire time my trainer was on vacation... I am paying for it now.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Goal for December: 120k

12/1: 8k
    12/2: 2.2k (warmup for strength training)
    12/5: 6.8k
    12/6: 6.8k intervals
    12/7: 2.1k (as a warmup for strength training)

25.9/120k

Not so good news. I treated myself a fracture quad muscle during the strength training. Too much pressure after intervals followed by legs training at gym and voila. Currently treated with ice, foam roller and ibu.

Races:
    12/18: Tour of Drama 10k??
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    12/1: 6 miles with Pacers crew +lifting
    12/2: 2 miles
    12/3: 8 miles with the Saturday crew
    12/4: 5.3 miles on trails +lifting
    12/5: 6 miles
    12/6: 2 miles + lifting
    12/7: 6 miles
    12/8: 6 miles

Met some buddies for a Tempo Thursday this morning. Goal was 7:50, but I peeled off just after 4 miles (they were going 8 and I was only going 6) and my left hip flexor was not happy with me. It's been a little cranky since the Philly marathon, and I couldn't get my pace under 8 for those last 2 miles. So I paced 7:58. Still in the 7:50 family, so all is well :)

Fog really messed with my GPS though! Garmin tried to tell me that I ran a 17:17 5k (uh, definitely didn't) and that my last mile was 11:45 on my Strava overview, but 8:19 in all other views. Oh fog!

exercise.png

Winter/Spring 2017 Races:
    1/8/17: NYCRUNS Cocoa Classic 10 mile
    2/18/17: FebApple Frozen 50 - 10 mile option
    3/12/17: E. Murray Todd HM
    3/18/17: Looney Leprechaun 10k (trail)
    3/26/17: Philly Love Run HM
    4/1/17: NJ Ultra Fest HM (trail, maybe)
    4/9/17: Rutgers UNITE HM (maybe)
    5/14/17: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    5/21 or 5/28: Cleveland or Vermont City Marathons (maybe)

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @Virkati - Congratulations!!! Yes, every job has it's good and bad. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and next up for me is: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a *kitten*: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life. Hoping it will help me not care about the nonsense that goes on in education and just remember I'm here for the kids.

@shanaber - :heart: Hobbes, what a good boy.

I am pretty sore from that fall, but I managed to get a long slow run in this morning. But it's just soreness, not pain, so I figured the run would be fine. Temps were great this morning and I went so slow I could easily sing the whole way. As I turned a corner I realized there was a man walking his dog. He's not someone I've seen on my early run before so I was startled to see him but he probably heard me singing way before I saw him. I just waved, laughed and kept on singing.

12/1 - 3.2 miles
    12/2 - 1.5 miles
    12/3 - 45 miles biking + 1 mile run
    12/4 - 27 miles biking + 1 mile run
    12/5 - 4 miles
    12/6 - 4 miles
    12/7 - 1 mile on treadmill for streak
    12/8 - 4.47 miles

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm using mittens at the moment (£20 on ebay) but they don't help :(.
    I might consider the suggestion of wearing 2 pairs, but isn't that not very comfortable?
    Run with 1C today, and then spent 5 minutes staring at my door cause I couldn't even open my jacket zip to take my keys - got really crappy hands

For the people who also cycle, I'm buying a bike and I want to alternate running to cycling - how long should I cycle for at the beginning? At the moment I'm running around 9 miles per day and 15+ on Sunday, and I want to do a similar effort cycling but have no idea how to translate the running efforts into comparable cycling efforts
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    12/1: 5 miles
    12/2: 4 miles
    12/3: 4 miles
    12/4: 11 miles
    12/5: 5 miles
    12/6: 7 miles
    12/7: rest day
    12/8: 4 miles

TOTAL: 38 miles

4 miles in 37:51 (9:27 pace) on a somewhat hilly route. Coldest run so far this year at 25F and 12F windchill. I pulled out my fleece lined running leggings and opted for a long sleeved base layer under a heavier running jacket and I was pretty comfortable. I really had to convince myself to get out there this morning because I had a restless night of sleep and am pretty tired. I'm not going to have time tomorrow to run though and didn't want to go 3 days without running (yesterday was rest too). For some reason my eyes couldn't stop watering on my run, which was pretty annoying. Not sure why was it didn't feel terribly windy. Maybe it was my body silently protesting the run.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 - Hey! Welcome back! I love the running and cycling mix! Unfortunately I can usually only cycle on the weekends. I know @ohhim does a lot more of both running and cycling so he may know better how it translates. It really depends upon your speed cycling.

I ride with a cycling group, so I am not burning as much as I would if I rode alone. When I first started I was with the slowest group and we went 34 miles @18-20 mph. I just moved up to a @19-21 mph and we go 44 miles. For me, that 44 miles is probably the equivalent to running about 7 miles. However, if riding alone, I could NEVER go that fast. I'd probably go 14-15 mph and only go 30 miles. I think you probably have to base it on time. Probably 1 hour running = approx 2 hours cycling...? @ohhim ...? ? ?

The other thing you could do is see how many calories you burn running 9 miles and see how long it takes to ride to burn the same. However, every day cycling is different. Sometimes there is a headwind and you are working 10x as hard as a day without a wind.

The one thing I will say is that when I am sore from running, cycling helps it so much. And the same is true after a weekend of a lot of miles cycling, my Monday morning run really helps with soreness.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'm using mittens at the moment (£20 on ebay) but they don't help :(.
    I might consider the suggestion of wearing 2 pairs, but isn't that not very comfortable?
    Run with 1C today, and then spent 5 minutes staring at my door cause I couldn't even open my jacket zip to take my keys - got really crappy hands

For the people who also cycle, I'm buying a bike and I want to alternate running to cycling - how long should I cycle for at the beginning? At the moment I'm running around 9 miles per day and 15+ on Sunday, and I want to do a similar effort cycling but have no idea how to translate the running efforts into comparable cycling efforts

@patrikc333 Some of the people in my running group have Reynauds and their hands get super cold and borderline useless til they warm up. They wear thick gloves or mittens with hand warmer packets inside. The hand warmers are pretty cheap and disposable... maybe look into those?

Okay, I am graciously bowing out! I thought I felt pretty great yesterday then at church last night over the course of 3 hours on my feet my right knee became painful to the point of limping. I iced later and took ibuprofen but it still hurts this morning. We're leaving in ten days for the Mayo Clinic and I'd rather not be in a wheelchair when we get there :p I also think I'd rather start the new year feeling fresh rather than run down. So wish me luck!

@greenolivetree That sounds like a wise choice, even if it's no fun to have to nurse a knee problem. Come back strong for the New Year!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    12/1- 7.04
    12/2- 4.01
    12/3- 10.01
    12/4- REST
    12/5- 5.32
    12/6- 5.01
    12/7- 3.01
    12/8- 8.04

Total: 42.43

Nominal mileage goal: 100 miles
    Real goal, get into the swing of Marathon training, and get used to doing 3 days a week of some strength/core while running 35+ MPW

Today's notes: North-northwest wind hammering me as a headwind/crosswind for most of the run wasn't fun, but the times I was running southbound on the loop were great. It was about 20F (-6C) for the run, which wasn't bad, except for the wind, and the snow coming down and blowing in my face! Ran a 10:03 pace, which was 12sec/mile faster than my assignment, but I really just wanted to get this run done. Anyway, got my 8 miles done in 1:20:48.

Legs, especially calves are a bit sore from all the squats, burpees, skaters, high kicks yesterday but, surprisingly, my arms feel ok despite the workout being more upper body than I've done in quite some time.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Didn't check in yesterday as wasn't much to report. I did 3.1k on the treadmill to keep the streak going, (as intervals just to stop the boredom kicking in!).

Today, the plan called for 12.5k "mixed" run - which means pretty much anything I like to give me some variety. In reality, I usually use this run to do some hill work. Given I (unintentionally) did lots of that during Monday's long run and was tired from strength work and poor sleep last couple of days, I decided to take it easy. Was a balmy 9/10C and I'd have happily gone out in shorts (in December!). I decided on compression shorts so covered up with some lightweight tracksuit bottoms - more for everyone else's benefit than my own!

When I got going I just had no energy and felt slightly sick, and had to circle home for a bathroom break after just 2k, but tried to persevere. Just as it started raining (very lightly) I remembered my daughter is coming next rather than this weekend. That made up my mind to give it up so only did just over 5k but I've time to make up the distance. Luckily everything else for today can be done from home, so planning a lazy afternoon maybe even including a nap!

exercise.png
    1-Dec: 6.2k easy run
    2-Dec: 11.5k - 10k tempo plus warm up/cool down
    3-Dec: 2.1k TM
    4-Dec: 5.3k easy run
    5-Dec: 21.7k long run
    6-Dec: 8.3k 'tired' run
    7-Dec: 3.1k TM
    8-Dec: 5.3k easy
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 5.35 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    12/2 - 5 miles. Pleasant for December, about 35°
    12/3 - Bodypump class, then 2.25 miles on treadmill
    12/4 - Planned rest day.
    12/5 - 5.11 miles avoiding slippery spots.
    12/6 - Bodypump class, then 2.3 miles on treadmill.
    12/7 - 4 miles on the 'mill.
    12/8 - 4.6 more 'mill miles (Trek class was full...so I had to run solo)

exercise.png
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    After a few of you mentioned needing winter running clothes with longer sleeves/legs, I keep meaning to post about a Brooks jacket that I have: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/BKW1448/womens-brooks-utopia-embossed-softshell/

I highly recommend it as it has cuffs (with thumb holes) that extend the sleeves and also has handy flip-mitts to turn the cuffs into mittens. I wore it on my run in 12F windchill today with just a cheap pair of light gloves and used the mittens for the first mile or so until I warmed up and then easily flipped them back over. The jacket is also waterproof/weather resistant, so really great if you're out in the elements too. My mom has bought several of these jackets for me over the years as she's seen them on sale and I love them.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 love the book! I may have to look for it! But I've gotten my bs bucket full enough times, I think the bottom has rotted out. :wink:

I'm back at work. My poor cat did not want me to leave.

I think I'll make use of my lunch at the gym, just focus on what I can do. I'm sore from yesterday's return to work assessment. Ladder 90 steps, 3 minutes stepping up and down, 0.25 miles on my at 3.5mph, carrying 50 pounds. So sad. Thankfully i had gone to the gym with DS and started walking while I was off.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cope. I've already decided 5 times (while sitting down) that I jumped the gun and I could at least run a little more in December although not keeping the streak going. Then I stand up and change my mind again. I'm trying to focus on positives. This is the first year I ran all 12 months! I ran 604 miles which is an average of 50 per month. Considering I probably ran 100 miles in 2015, that's a 600% increase! LOL

In a few days, my knee (and the left shin, let's not leave that out) will probably feel tons better and the urge to run will be strong. I'm hoping that all the rushing to prepare for a week before Christmas medical trip will keep me occupied.

@kristinegift Thank you for your words of encouragement :)

@elise4270 Wow! Best wishes for your return to work.

It was 20F with a windchill of 12F this morning. Brrr!
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the Chicago area, so I root for all those pro teams as well! I'd say college football is the main sport I follow though.

A kindred spirit then! ;)

• lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    December goal: 100 miles
    12/1: 3.25 miles
    12/2: 2.75 miles
    12/3: 3.15 miles (m)
    12/4: Rest Day
    12/5: 5 miles (2 + 3 treadmill)
    12/6: 4 miles (m)
    12/7: 4 miles
    12/8: 4.35 miles (m)

My Total/December: 26.5 miles
    Mike's Total: 11.5 miles

A bit wet and windy this morning, buy the temps are still in the low 50s. Ran about a quarter mile before realizing I forgot to hit "go" on my watch and ended up doing a total of just over 4 miles. Mike came along. When Mike runs with me, he usually manages Fergus so I get to run without a dog attached to me which is nice once in a while. We ran by the lake again and saw lots of groovy water fowl. I like when a whole flock flies low over the water and you can see their reflections following with them.

@Stoshew71 Hey there! I actually went to an extension campus, but I spent quite a few weekends hanging out in Lafayette. I was a little earlier than you, too, and in school from '86 through '91. I was indecisive, changed my major about 6 times and, though I have a ton of credits, I never finished a degree. :)

@greenolivetree Gettin' it done in the hallway! LOL

@Elise4270 Everything but run! How frustrating for you. So sorry.

@Virkati Glad the interview went well. Hope the trend continues for you!

Have a fabulous rest of the day everyone!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png