Starving 15 mins after eating an apple and a yogurt

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    casey36585 wrote: »
    Apples are a diuretic food (while the sugar makes them a great energy booster, they won't satisfy hunger because of the low calories they provide in relation to the amount used to actually digest them).
    Citations?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    OK so looking at an individual meal how would u work that out the 40 30 30

Doesn't have to be 40-30-30 at every meal, but I think it's helpful to think of meals as all containing a significant source of protein, as well as fat and carbs. Sabine's examples are good, but if you know what foods have fats, protein, and carbs, it's easy. (I often get fat from something like a salad with a dressing with a little olive oil or by adding olives or cheese or nuts to the salad--it doesn't have to be a separate food. I'd get protein there by adding some protein to the salad too, like chicken or eggs or steak or tofu or falafel, so on.)

Great point about salad dressings etc.
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    How do I achieve those goals
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2016
    Options

What goals? You've gotten TONS of good advice about how to eat a balanced diet. For the most part, folks are saying the same thing over and and over. Eat real food. Eat protein and fat in addition to the carbs. done. Don't over think it
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

By looking up foods you want to eat in the food database and logging them. Log before you eat so you can see how much a portion should be. Accurately measure how much food you eat and stay within your goal.

Edit: the bolded
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    After a few months I noticed a carb, protein and fat help me stay satisfied. Try adding peanut butter to your apple, or have eggs.

Play around a little with your macros and see what helps you.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I use to buy strawberry greek yogurt (chabane...spelling?) and I would stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter. It sounds gross, but it was freaking delicious. and it really added some filling power to the yogurt.

Also, if you don't like peanut butter (or is doesn't fit your macros), you can stir in a serving of raw almonds. That is good too.

??
    If peanut butter doesn't fit your macros, how will raw almonds? The macro profiles are pretty much identical:

1 Tbsp peanut butter (32 g): 191 cal, 16 g fat, 7 g carbs, 7 g protein

32 g almonds: 185 cal, 16 g fat, 7 g carbs, 7 g protein
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I use to buy strawberry greek yogurt (chabane...spelling?) and I would stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter. It sounds gross, but it was freaking delicious. and it really added some filling power to the yogurt.

Also, if you don't like peanut butter (or is doesn't fit your macros), you can stir in a serving of raw almonds. That is good too.

??
    If peanut butter doesn't fit your macros, how will raw almonds? The macro profiles are pretty much identical:

fair enough.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, as others have said, it sounds like you aren't eating enough.

I also wanted to add - different people find different foods satiating. You kind of have to play around with it and find what works for you. I find apples pretty filling, others here have said they don't. I don't find oatmeal filling, but others do. Some people need more protein, some more fat. I found raising my protein helped alot, but find I also need a balanced amount of carbs. A breakfast of eggs and bacon will keep some folks full for hours, but I'd be starving. An egg with some potatoes or an English muffin works better for me. I'm not saying this to confuse things, but just to emphasize that there is no one correct macro ratio for everyone.

Good luck!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

??

fair enough.

Actually that will depend on the brand you eat. My Blue diamond natural almonds have 160 calories for 28 g. My Smucker's natural peanut butter has 200 calories for 32 g. Almonds (or any nuts) which have been roasted and have added oils will have a different profile from ones that haven't been through those processes.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you want a more satisfying snack, I like an oatcake with an ounce of cheese and either an apple or some grapes. If oatcakes aren't a thing where you are, you could go for a wholegrain cracker (but oatcakes are great, I find them really satisfying for not many calories).
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Something about apples always makes me feel hungry after I eat them (for years). I actually think maybe it's the fiber or the way it's digested maybe upsets my stomach and the feeling is confused as hunger.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

??

fair enough.

Actually that will depend on the brand you eat. My Blue diamond natural almonds have 160 calories for 28 g. My Smucker's natural peanut butter has 200 calories for 32 g. Almonds (or any nuts) which have been roasted and have added oils will have a different profile from ones that haven't been through those processes.

Those are rounded values from brand labels with a 14% difference in the serving weights; pretty sure at those calories rounding to nearest multiple of 10 is allowed. The values I showed were for equal weights of almonds and peanut butter from the USDA database (although I admit to rounding to the nearest gram, and I don't know whether they were using a peanut butter with sugar and/or non-peanut oils added -- however, that mainly makes a difference in the lipid breakdown, not total fat.)
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    The coffeehouse I stop by on the way to work every morning has a breakfast sandwich consisting of a baked egg, a slice of bacon, and a slice of cheese on a small francese roll, working out to 327 calories if I've figured it correctly. That particular combination of protein, fat, and carbs keeps me feeling satisfied for hours afterward. Try something like that, if your habitual breakfast isn't keeping you feeling sated.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I find eating snacks just makes me way more hungry a short time later.

So instead I just have more substantial meals. And if I feel hungry between them, I just stick it out. It only lasts 10 minutes or so then you feel fine again.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Lynnmi07 wrote: »
    Something about apples always makes me feel hungry after I eat them (for years). I actually think maybe it's the fiber or the way it's digested maybe upsets my stomach and the feeling is confused as hunger.

They don't make me hungry, but they make me burp. Related, maybe? Like a false alarm hunger signal because of trapped wind?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If it was a sugary yogurt and not a good greek yogurt, I'd be starving too. It's all sugar.
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    If it was a sugary yogurt and not a good greek yogurt, I'd be starving too. It's all sugar.

It was a raspberry Greek style yogurt
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all replies, but to the OP, apples do same thing for me. When i eat one, i feel hungrier than before and it stays that way until i eat something else. So i don't usually have apples for a snack. Yogurt is a different story though, it will keep me full for a while. So, maybe, try a different fruit or a veggies with the yogurt. I do put half an apple into my morning smoothie, with other fruit, veggies and nuts. Keeps my full until lunch. And i drink it early as well, about 7.15am. Hope it helps
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Always! Need to chuck some oats in