Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I was able to increase on bench (for 2 sets), squat, and deadlifts yesterday. I think my extra focus on core and some added pullups the last 2 weeks helped me be more stable in my lifts.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sam Jones Whole Hog Carolina BBQ outta help my bulk.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Welp- I have put on my normal winter pants- and... they feel snug- weight gain. issssaaaahappening.

I know own TWO pairs of jeggings!

ETA: Congrats on your tight pants!
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I gained last week, list this week. My bulk isn't working out very well, except that my lifts did increase last week. I'm hoping to maintain my lifts this week and get my weight back up a pound for next week.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'm now slowly easing into the winter gain train. However, I've also decided to heavily increase my weighted vest conditioning work (every day except for the days before squats and deads). I have a feeling that I am going to end up eating a lot of damned food between now and March.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    My bulk is overrr...it was dirty and short. :'(
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Welp- I have put on my normal winter pants- and... they feel snug- weight gain. issssaaaahappening.

I know own TWO pairs of jeggings!

ETA: Congrats on your tight pants!

The more I can wear my workout pants to work under long tunic style pants- the happier I am. one less step at the gym ;)
    I'm now slowly easing into the winter gain train. However, I've also decided to heavily increase my weighted vest conditioning work (every day except for the days before squats and deads). I have a feeling that I am going to end up eating a lot of damned food between now and March.

ALL THE FOODZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    shanae727 wrote: »
    My bulk is overrr...it was dirty and short. :'(

oh noeooooooeeeeeessssssssssss
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Update: sick with the flu last week. Prior to that week, I had a de-load week. So, I had a light week of weight lifting, followed by a week of no lifting. Scale dropped 4 pounds from start of flu to end of flu; although I'm now up a pound (i.e., seems to have been mostly water weight). I lost about half an inch on all but a couple measurements. As usual when sick, I struggled to hit maintenance level calories due to no appetite. Judging from Monday and Tuesday's lifting, definitely lost some strength in some muscle groups but others seemed fine. For example, biceps were weak, triceps fine, back muscles coped with rows and pull-ups well. I'm a little disappointed/disheartened, but I suppose it could have been worse.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My question is how do you know when it is time to stop a bulk? In a given timeframe or at a set weight?

I gained 7lbs from Aug 5th to about Dec 5th. I just cut back by about 50-100 calories a day, b/c I felt "fat." I've lost 2lbs in about a week and a half. Am I done if I'm feeling gross? I have a powerlifting competition at the beginning of Feb. I'm conflicted...should I stick with the slightly lower calorie intake or add back the calories. I'm near the lower end of my weight class, so that isn't a concern.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    My coach said it is probably better to sit at the higher end of your weight class. It gives you more room to build strength rather than trying to cut...
  • deputy_randolph
    Options
    My coach said it is probably better to sit at the higher end of your weight class. It gives you more room to build strength rather than trying to cut...

At this point, I could put on another 10lbs and still be in the same weight class. I was at the very low end last time. Maybe I'll see if cutting back effects strength in the next week or 2 and reevaluate then? Bulking is frustrating.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    My question is how do you know when it is time to stop a bulk? In a given timeframe or at a set weight?

I gained 7lbs from Aug 5th to about Dec 5th. I just cut back by about 50-100 calories a day, b/c I felt "fat." I've lost 2lbs in about a week and a half. Am I done if I'm feeling gross? I have a powerlifting competition at the beginning of Feb. I'm conflicted...should I stick with the slightly lower calorie intake or add back the calories. I'm near the lower end of my weight class, so that isn't a concern.

I usually run 4-6 months- 3 to 3.5 months I'm sick of it- so I make it a point to push through to 4- and then I can usually squeek out another month and land solidly in 5 months- and that's about 15-17 pounds of gain and about all I can handle.

Is it your first comp?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

If you don't like how you look or feel then don't try and gain anymore. Move to maintenance and keep training up. You won't lose any strength and you can taper food up as you approach the comp if you feel like you need it.
  • deputy_randolph
    Options

I usually run 4-6 months- 3 to 3.5 months I'm sick of it- so I make it a point to push through to 4- and then I can usually squeek out another month and land solidly in 5 months- and that's about 15-17 pounds of gain and about all I can handle.

Is it your first comp?

This is my second comp. I totalled 510@132 in August; I'm up to gym total of 555@137. I thought a little extra bulk might help.

It has been about a 4 month bulk; that probably puts me at good spot to maintain until Feb.
  • lambeze12
    lambeze12 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just finished bulking. :(
  • JoRocka
    Options

Is it your first comp?

This is my second comp. I totalled 510@132 in August; I'm up to gym total of 555@137. I thought a little extra bulk might help.

It has been about a 4 month bulk; that probably puts me at good spot to maintain until Feb.

that sounds like an excellent plan.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Is it your first comp?

Those are some greatly improved lifts in a short space of time! Can I ask what your individual lifts were?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I think I'm two week out from next bulk.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 216 today and still hoping to gain 5 more lbs in the next 4 weeks before my first powerlifting meet. The meet roster is posted online and currently it looks like I'll have no competition if I move up into the 242 lb weight class. I just hope I don't bomb out because of the commands!