14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Ok, op is on with the dr now so let's focus on the future not the past!

If op were female with a bmi below 18 he would be urged to eat more immediately and see a counsellor/therapist if unable to do so. I think we can all agree to that!

As far as I'm aware the OP's bmi level as stated meets UK guidelines for involuntary hospitalization.

While the first physician who saw the OP sounded a bit like a **kitten**, the OP's original family doctor also saw the OP.

This makes 2 full medical doctors who have examined the OP and have signed off to the level of care they are providing

Would I be happy hearing the OP say that he is eating at a surplus and gaining weight? You bet ya! My opinion is: eat as much as you can till you hit BMI 20. Then we talk about gym and all that stuff.

By the same token, 2 professionals with access to ancillary services have directly examined the OP and have not referred him to these services....

Unfortunately accessing these kinds of support and therapy services is not always easy in the UK and can very much depend on the area you live in. I had a major life threatening medical issue, as in facing own mortality type, leaving my kids to grow up motherless type scare. I live in a major conurbation and not out in the country like OP does, from my doctor referral to emergency counselling support to actually getting a triage phone call from the service took 3 months and I said "no it's fine' and they said "ok then, bye' and there was zero follow up nor did they know I'd been paying privately to see a counsellor for months.

Anyway there's a lot of good support on this thread ...let's focus on that

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I wonder if the OP would be getting the flippant "you can eat loads! enjoy it!" and "don't gain fat, gain muscle!" if they were female and at a BMI of 14.5.

I'm going to say no, theynlikely wouldnt. Theuwnould likely be encouraged to see a therapist.

Holy typos batsman- how did I not notice that earlier when reread Prior to posting??
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Seriously. This OP is a full grown man. He isn't underage. He is intelligent and is actually listening to people about going to the doctor for screening before going forward with a plan to gain weight. Sheesh.

I disagree with this. He has made numerous excuses as to why he is not going to the doctor. His posts also throw up major red flags as someone who has may have an eating disorder.

I have to disagree. It sounds like he's lucky he finally got an appointment with his regular physician at all. There are multiple posts from people in the UK explaining how the system works over there.

Doctor appointment or not, there are still huge red flags of a potential eating disorder. He also said that the doctor thought his weight was fine, in which case the doctor should have his license revoked (which to me says the doctor never said that). He also hasn't put in much effort to get an appointment (didn't call until much later).

If op were female with a bmi below 18 he would be urged to eat more immediately and see a counsellor/therapist if unable to do so. I think we can all agree to that!

As far as I'm aware the OP's bmi level as stated meets UK guidelines for involuntary hospitalization.

While the first physician who saw the OP sounded a bit like a **kitten**, the OP's original family doctor also saw the OP.

This makes 2 full medical doctors who have examined the OP and have signed off to the level of care they are providing

Would I be happy hearing the OP say that he is eating at a surplus and gaining weight? You bet ya! My opinion is: eat as much as you can till you hit BMI 20. Then we talk about gym and all that stuff.

By the same token, 2 professionals with access to ancillary services have directly examined the OP and have not referred him to these services....

Which is why his claim that the doctor said he was fine even more unbelievable.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    I am trying to eat more but I think I might have a slight lactose intolerance as I eat cereal for breakfast and when I'm at work I feel a bit bloated and gassy. Im trying to get myself into a routine of eating and gym as the two lend to each other I'm just finding really hard to get to that point

Could it be the gluten? A celiac often ends up malnourished and overly thin because their intestinal wall is damaged and they can not absorb nutrients well. It also causes lactose intolerance in most too.

Just an idea. Good luck.

Sorry to quote myself but I thought I'd add the celiac tests, in case you are interested.

To be tested for CD you must be eating gluten (1-2 slices of bread per day or equivalent) in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing. Get as many tests done as possible because these tests can miss a quarter of all celiacs. The more tests done, the more likely it is to be an accurate result.

Ask for:
    • tissue transglutaminase IgA and IgG (tTG IgA, tTG IgG) - most common test, and often the only test run (tTG IgA)
    • deaminated gliadin peptides Iga and IgG (DGP IgA, DGP IgG) _newer tests
    • endomysial antibodies (EMA IgA) - tends to detect more advanced disease
    • Immunoglobulin A (IgA) - a control test. 20% of celiacs are deficient in IgA and that will affect their test results
    • antigliadin antibodies IgA and IgG (AGA IgA, AGA IgG) - older and less reliable tests that were mostly replaced by the DGP tests
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the OP would be getting the flippant "you can eat loads! enjoy it!" and "don't gain fat, gain muscle!" if they were female and at a BMI of 14.5.

I'm going to say no, theynlikely wouldnt. Theuwnould likely be encouraged to see a therapist.

Holy typos batsman- how did I not notice that earlier when reread Prior to posting??
    Seriously. This OP is a full grown man. He isn't underage. He is intelligent and is actually listening to people about going to the doctor for screening before going forward with a plan to gain weight. Sheesh.

I disagree with this. He has made numerous excuses as to why he is not going to the doctor. His posts also throw up major red flags as someone who has may have an eating disorder.

I have to disagree. It sounds like he's lucky he finally got an appointment with his regular physician at all. There are multiple posts from people in the UK explaining how the system works over there.

Doctor appointment or not, there are still huge red flags of a potential eating disorder. He also said that the doctor thought his weight was fine, in which case the doctor should have his license revoked (which to me says the doctor never said that). He also hasn't put in much effort to get an appointment (didn't call until much later).

Which is why his claim that the doctor said he was fine even more unbelievable.

That's not exactly what the doctor said - if the doctor thought everything was just fine he wouldnt of ordered tests - blood tests, x rays etc - and want to be following up with OP about it.

fairly clear to me that Dr was trying to be reassuring with that comment and not stress out Op - but at the same time do a thorough investigation.

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I hope that there are no medical reasons for the quick weight loss and OP is able to eat enough to start gaining very soon.
    <3
  • DebSozo
    Options
    No I don't have any medical issues (that I know of) and I haven't deliberately gotten this low I feel like I eat a decent amount

Were you underweight previously or is this a brand new development?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    No I don't have any medical issues (that I know of) and I haven't deliberately gotten this low I feel like I eat a decent amount

Were you underweight previously or is this a brand new development?

It's on page 1:
    hey rogue, 14.5 is very dangerous and God forbid, you can end up hospitalized... have you always been underweight or is this loss over a time from a higher weight

I have always been pretty skinny I dunno if I would say underweight I've dropped from about 9st10 (I think it was) in about 2 months
    I'm 20yo male and I weigh 7st12 and I'm 6ft1 by the bmi calculator I'm 14.5 is this too low and if so how bad is it?

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm really pleased that your tests results have so far been good, and that your doc is getting more tests done. Thanks for keeping us updated! Do you think you could eat some more calorie-dense foods whilst you're waiting for tests and results?

I have been eating peanut butter sandwiches after work every day which I wasn't doing before

That's awesome! Keep it up!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you like shakes? You could try incorporating some of the high calorie nutritional drinks that they give people when they can't eat.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm really pleased that your tests results have so far been good, and that your doc is getting more tests done. Thanks for keeping us updated! Do you think you could eat some more calorie-dense foods whilst you're waiting for tests and results?

I have been eating peanut butter sandwiches after work every day which I wasn't doing before

Nice one! Well done :-)

Edit: That looks waaaay more patronising than I intended, sorry! I'm genuinely pleased for you though :-)

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,720 Member
    Options
    Hey Rogue, well done on the evening snack mate!

Next challenge: add a peanut butter sandwich to your lunch break at work too :smile:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    snacks are good. If you would like to ring the changes you can also get cashew butter and hazel nut butter too. Loose nuts are my downfall.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options

The OP is going to want to gain muscle at the same time along with fat as he indicated an interest in bodybuilding. He should enjoy eating more because his TDEE is likely much higher than he realizes and is losing weight because he isn't eating enough to support his activity level.

Actually, in addition to eating more quality foods more often, he should up protein and fats (as physician recommended) along with healthy carbs plus veggies for balance. Unfortunately, he is burning more than he eats. Eating better foods more frequently should be the goal, IMO.

I understand his home support isn't the greatest. It would be great if the mom would get on board to help out. He will need to eat more to turn things around and start gaining weight in a healthy way.

There is a MFP "gaining weight" board so OP can get help if he happens to be a hardgainer which may or may not be the case . He is seeking outside help and getting screened by medical professionals and is on the right track to determine if there are any underlying medical issues.

We don't know if OP has an eating disorder (which many are implying), but it isn't fair for people to automatically assume that. If one has difficulty gaining weight others who gain weight easily might not understand how difficult it is. There isn't any desire to be flippant or minimize the situation. If it came across that way to OP, then I would be the first to apologize.

Edited: typos