Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Then why say it? Why include it in your advice?

If this was your kid wouldn't you be livid if anyone said anything to reinforce that it could possibly be OK to be concerned about bodyfat at a dangerously low BMI ?

I would be.

Apologies. His doctor told him he could damage his body by adding calories and fats too quickly. He should definitely add on weight.

Body fat percentage is different than BMI. I found a body fat percentage chart in this article:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
    Healthy body fat range for him would be between 8-19% body fat.

He is severely under-weight so bodyfat is not the concern here.

I think that he wants to build muscle is all I am saying. He needs to gain weight. That is a given. Will you P.M. him to help find out his objectives? BMI under 18 is dangerous, correct? I don't think that he is eating enough to meet TDEE. He is seeing doctor after Christmas, so maybe he can give him a regime.

His p-ratio is extremely positive for muscle building at his BF% so even if he doesn't touch a weight he will gained a good portion of his weight in muscle.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

If this was your kid wouldn't you be livid if anyone said anything to reinforce that it could possibly be OK to be concerned about bodyfat at a dangerously low BMI ?

I would be.

Apologies. His doctor told him he could damage his body by adding calories and fats too quickly. He should definitely add on weight.

Body fat percentage is different than BMI. I found a body fat percentage chart in this article:

I think that he wants to build muscle is all I am saying. He needs to gain weight. That is a given. Will you P.M. him to help find out his objectives? BMI under 18 is dangerous, correct? I don't think that he is eating enough to meet TDEE. He is seeing doctor after Christmas, so maybe he can give him a regime.

His p-ratio is extremely positive for muscle building at his BF% so even if he doesn't touch a weight he will gained a good portion of his weight in muscle.

I think that he will do great! He has a lot of potential. You have a lot of knowledge on this subject.

ETA: Here are some helpful ideas for gaining weight:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Underweightadults.aspx

OP, definitely stay under doctor supervision and keep getting vitals and blood checked.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I would be.

I think that he will do great! He has a lot of potential. You have a lot of knowledge on this subject.

Hopefully the OP will show up in the Weight Gain section where there are a lot of knowledgeable posters who can help him.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    My advice...follow what your doctor is telling you. I think too much advice from too many people can lead to information over-load when first trying to correct health issues. Once you have things under control somewhat and have a base core of knowledge then seek help from experienced people to reach your long term goals.

When I first started here at this site I read comments and then went and researched for myself.

For the short-term...listen to your doctor.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    My advice...follow what your doctor is telling you. I think too much advice from too many people can lead to information over-load when first trying to correct health issues. Once you have things under control somewhat and have a base core of knowledge then seek help from experienced people to reach your long term goals.

When I first started here at this site I read comments and then went and researched for myself.

For the short-term...listen to your doctor.

Good advice!
  • RogueDeer5
    RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat more but I think I might have a slight lactose intolerance as I eat cereal for breakfast and when I'm at work I feel a bit bloated and gassy. Im trying to get myself into a routine of eating and gym as the two lend to each other I'm just finding really hard to get to that point
  • RogueDeer5
    RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nothing came up in the second set of blood tests so now I've gotta have a chest x-ray but I don't know what their looking for
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You're young OP, take advantage of being able to eat lots and get away with it, because it wont last forever.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    You're young OP, take advantage of being able to eat lots and get away with it, because it wont last forever.

Those were the days, my friend. People told me about it when I was in my 20s, but I didn't believe them because I was too busy burning off calories. Lol.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I read you think you may be lactose intolerant? Unfortunately it is more likely to be casein intolerant, its far more common than people think, we out number those who are lactose intolerant. I find using goat milk products suit me better. Casein comes in 4 variants, normal bovine, cow is predominantly type 1. Goat is predominantly type 2. There are also types 3 and 4, these are common to most milk and do not seem to be in large enough amounts to cause problems. There is also A2 milk, which is cow but it has dominant type 2 casein defined by testing. If you try goat or A2 milk you could find you feel better, and were there lactose issues as well these would probably subside because the body is not under so much digestive pressure.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    I am trying to eat more but I think I might have a slight lactose intolerance as I eat cereal for breakfast and when I'm at work I feel a bit bloated and gassy. Im trying to get myself into a routine of eating and gym as the two lend to each other I'm just finding really hard to get to that point

Small and often and highly dense calories

Nuts, sweets, crisps, chips anything you can think of to get your weight up
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ^Yes. Also:

Work your way up. You won't be able to stuff your face from one day to another, you'll just get full and nauseous. Slowly increase your food intake over time.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    How are you with mince pies? These are small, calorie dense and everywhere so you can happily swipe a few from communal boxes as and when and that will help over the next couple of weeks at least!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Could it be the gluten? A celiac often ends up malnourished and overly thin because their intestinal wall is damaged and they can not absorb nutrients well. It also causes lactose intolerance in most too.

Just an idea. Good luck.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Nothing came up in the second set of blood tests so now I've gotta have a chest x-ray but I don't know what their looking for

he's probably looking at several things, but walking pneumonia would be one that would explain sudden weight loss with few other symptoms and would show up on a chest x-ray

it can be really frustrating to be constantly sent for tests and more tests and more tests, but the doctor will try to rule out the most likely causes first, so multiple rounds of testing are pretty common in my experience

hang in there and keep eating more!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Could it be the gluten? A celiac often ends up malnourished and overly thin because their intestinal wall is damaged and they can not absorb nutrients well. It also causes lactose intolerance in most too.

Just an idea. Good luck.

That's what I was wondering also.