WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,367 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Rant on the way! Please feel free to skip!

We had a supermarket delivery this morning. The drivers can never find our house as the satnav takes them too far up the lane. The last delivery lady asked me to write instructions in the box, so this time I carefully did. This driver could not find us as usual so rang us.
    When he arrived I told him I had given written instructions. He said he had none. :sad:
    Then when he came in I asked for the paper order that I had specially requested through a tick box. He said there was none and I hadn't ticked it. :sad:
    I don't like being told I haven't done things that I have done.
    I then checked their email on my tablet and the order clearly states that I requested a paper receipt and my delivery information was there as well. :sad: :sad:
    I have emailed the company telling them what I think of the service.
    If he had said he had made two mistakes I would be fine with that. I don't want to be told it is my fault when it isn't.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

OK rant over. :D Phew!

Got to pop out this pm to pick up a few things I forgot to order. I haven't been out of the house for five days. ;) Also a bit of cash for the cleaner's Christmas bonus. She has been wonderful while we're trying to sell the house. Unfortunately she is taking a holiday next week, just when I've got 9 successive visitors for the whole week. I will have to rope DH in to help. It'll be like a hotel here with loads of bed changes, cleaning bathrooms etc.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather Bea and famiy are a delight! <3<3<3

Janetr Sending a warm towel fresh out of the dryer for your shoulders, a hot cup of tea, and a quiet, healing environment for whatever is ailing you. Sorry you are not feeling well...

Off to work this morning; been Jazzercising every day. Still have Christmas wrapping to do. Granddaughter is coming over this afternoon to play. :)

Karen in Virginia
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Sherry ... if Dufur has a website someone in the town government set it up. Does the chamber of commerce, transportation department, town or village offices have a computer? The school? A public office of any kind? Certainly, since you're volunteering someone could give you computer time ... even if it was just during their lunch break?! Just thinking out loud...

Beth
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,968 Member
    Options
    Another busy day yesterday, but all caught up!

Sheryl, Library computer was my idea too, but why not ask at the school? Tell them what you need to do and they might let you use one of the teachers or staff computers to upload pictures.

Thanks everyone for the comments on the shelf my DH made. He made me one last year too. He is disabled but very talented with wood working. Actually, any type of art that involves drawing, designing, fixing things. In fact, he will search out a broken animated thing, like a moving santa or something, buy it really cheap, then fix it.

Yesterday we went to Kohls and I got dish towels for Christmas and Thanksgiving to put crocheted tops on to start next years Christmas gifts. Got stocking stuffers for me and DH, and some other stuff. Saved $375 using coupons and only spent $200 on charge card. From there we went to the mall. DH wanted to get me an Apple Watch for Christmas. Found one at Macy's. left the house at 10:00 am and got home at 4. Good day.

Rita from done with shopping for this year CT
  • pamwix
    pamwix Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Beth

While I have not lost any weight the last two weeks, I have also not regained any of week one’s 7 pound loss so I’m very happy! Learned today that my mother’s cancer is stage one and she has a few surgical options to consider. Nothing will be done until after the new year so we’ll just enjoy the holidays and deal with it later.

Beth near Buffalo

HI Beth congrats on keeping the weight loss off. Very good... in regards to your mom, I am constantly researching cancer and ways to help prevent it... aka eating fresh food for one thing. Recently I learned about Ty Bollinger. He is promoting alternative ways to treat and cure cancer. He is on Facebook #The truth about cancer. Or he has videos on YouTube. I have been amazed at all the options available and the success stories. I wish the best outcome for your mom. Peace from Pam in sunny south florida.[/quote]

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Our tree is UP! :drinker:
    I said to DH that I was thinking of not putting it up this year as people weren't coming until Boxing Day, but I could see his face fall. :o I went out shopping and when I got back it was out of the loft. I took pity on him and helped him decorate. I'm not doing my other usual decorations though, but I will get the LED candles out. I have some that change colour.
    I normally do a wreath and a table decoration, but the BD meal will be a bit of a scramble once the kids have finally gone to bed. We will all be knackered and I can't see refinement rearing it's head. If I get the meal on the table it will be a miracle! I might manage one for the New Year adults only dinner. I have some glittery things I can put in a bowl. :D

I have been so grumpy contemplating all the work that I have forgotten how incredibly lucky I am to have so many people to love and who love me. I am sooooooo blessed. <3 I know some of you would give anything to have loved ones around you at Christmas and NY. I decided on the way back from my errands to be GRATEFUL and I started singing loudly in the car about how lucky I am. (Becca, you would be proud of me!) Feel a lot better now. :bigsmile:

Settling down now with a magazine.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sherry: Does your local newspaper have any sort of official office? If so, could you do your work from there? I hope the TV technician is on time and gets you connected. :flowerforyou:

Bobspeg: Welcome to a great group! Click on the hollow star at the top of the page to bookmark us so that you an easily find us again. My diet strategy has been portion control and counting calories since I started here. I have some food sensitivities so I can't eat certain things anyway. Portion control means that I measure the quantity of food I'm eating, count the calories and stay within my calorie limits. I have a food scale that was relatively inexpensive and dishers that were more costly. Ordinary measuring cups will do the job that dishers do just fine without the added expense if money is an issue. As to holiday meals--I eat whatever I want in measured portions & stick to my allowed calorie limits. If I can do this, so can you. The other half of this is exercise. Find active exercises that you enjoy and move more. Dancing, walking, yoga, bike riding, lifting weights, swimming, horseback riding-. The ladies here do all sorts of different things and they all work. The more fun they are, the better, because you're more likely to do them. :smiley:

Last night we got a skype call from DS. He was home and getting ready to fly to DDIL's family home in Kentucky for the holiday. He mentioned getting one gift we sent, but not the other. Luckily it was on his front porch when we asked him to look for it. I have no idea how long it sat there before he found it. This was a gift of items on their wedding registry and they aren't cheap. They have been married several years now, but the registry is still accessible and active.

Today is the day that DH is going to the eye doctor to plan for cataract surgery. I am excited for him and anticipate that the surgery will make his life a LOT better.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

christmas-tree-gifts.gif
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Sherry: If the issue is not being able to upload pictures.... use your iphone to take the picture... then go to the library and use the computer to do the blog. While there connect to the wi-fi (most public libraries have free wi-fi) with your iphone and upload the pictures. Then you can use the computer to complete the blog etc with a big keyboard and not having to use the phone keyboard.

Myself I'd definitely put the money toward the car, not a computer. And put the word out that you are looking for a simple computer that connects the internet and you might be surprised what you find out.... my son finds all sorts of computers people put out in the trash and he refurbishes them and gives them away to folks that need something not too fancy. There are a lot of people out there that have old laptops just sitting around believe it or not. And if something doesn't show up.... do the library thing or bow out gracefully.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Have managed to sort Wifi in this apartment and have been reading all your posts, think I've got the gist of everyone's doings.

Have used the gym 2 days running it's not wonderful, no treadmill only elliptical and bike some free weights but no dumbells have done a lot of walking as well but Fitbit doesn't seem to want to sync at the moment and I know I did over 22,000 steps yesterday grrr

Welcome to all our newbies from around the world

Kate UK
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Katla - Sending good wishes for your DH's visit to the eye doctor. <3

My Iranian food bits and pieces arrived today. My Golpar is here. ;) It is the ground seeds of Iranian hogweed. :laugh: Haven't tasted it yet! It's supposed to enhance other food flavours.

Kate UK - Envious of your Spanish trip. I am going to broach going away for Christmas next year, but I don't think DH will want to. We did it for our honeymoon - Morocco - and we both loved it, but he hasn't fancied it since. I would miss the grandchildren, but I have 364 other days to see them. :D:o

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,816 Member
    Options
    Just back from the airport ,took our renter and her gentleman friend to Sarasota, they are flying back to Canada for the Holidays..
    going to our friends for dinner tonight and bought a cake to take for dessert.. tomorrow is my trip to Sanibel
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Sherry – Only you know what your budget is and how far you can stretch it and still feel comfortable about. Like “Frank Regan’s” on “Blue Bloods” telling his grandchildren a ‘story with insight’ … “If you know you have 2 bills to pay; house or car … make the car payment first. You can always live in your car; but, you cannot drive your house.” A laptop would be nice; but, it is not (maybe) as important as a safe vehicle. Maybe checking at a place like “Best Buy” you can find one that has low monthly payments. Computers and laptops are getting a lot less expensive than they used to be. Checking at a place like that and being able to only have what most come with now-a-days, maybe it will be something you could buy and ‘afford’ both. I’ve had a Dell (not one I would recommend) and an HP (not quite as bad; but, my next one will be a Mac or an Apple if I can afford one). Each place allows you to pay a small amount monthly. HP, not so much lately; but, I paid Dell $20 a month (and still have the desktop and still working and it is, at least, 5 or 6 years old); but, I use my laptop more because I can be in the same room with DH and not in the utility room. If you are putting $$$ up so that you can buy a car for cash … then you would know how much you need to do so and how long it will take to do so. Good Luck! Maybe you can find a refurbished computer somewhere. I’d check with some of the office supply stores about that; they might have had one brought in for repairs and the owner never went back to pick it up.

Your comment about ‘snowman poop’ reminds me of my DGD#4, when she made a Father’s Day card for our DYS. “He teaches me the difference between deer poop and coyote poop.” There is a good reason for that, too.
    I’m glad that I worked for the Federal Magistrate, when I was forced to retire on a disability, because the SS Administrative Judge would have ‘denied’ it and then I would have had to ‘appeal’ it to my boss; why go through that step [if I did not have to] and put another 6-12 months of time. When my boss was appointed to his position … we had a year’s worth of SS and other cases that were ‘backlogged’.

I learned as a teenager to NOT hang around a truck driver in his ‘blind spot’ … which is pretty wide. Got run off into the median by one that was ‘falling to sleep’ or ‘driving drunk’; the worst time was a ‘log truck’ going too fast through a curve and lost his load; right in front of us. Log trucks are the worst. I am surprised that they can even travel on long hauls. About the ricketiest large truck on the road. I can remember my boys sitting in the car and reaching up and trying to see how many would actually pull their horns. The 3rd time in a driving rain, riding with my DYS who was driving his Jeep and it jack-knifed in front of us. Son had to run off the road to keep from getting hit. Thankfully, DYS was an excellent driver as he was able to maneuver us around it. Thankfully DH and DOS in the car behind us also saw what was happening. It was a ‘mess’. Blinding rain so bad that you could barely see the lights in front of you; and, at times not even in front of you hood. If it rains in that part of Georgia, it is ALWAYS a ‘blinding rain’. Never a ‘sprinkle’ … goes from ‘not raining’ to a ‘deluge’. Some people will pull off the road (or drive with their emergency light blinking); you are better off to continue driving and wait until you get to an exit to pull off the road before putting on your safety blinkers. You see blinking lights, you have no idea if they are moving or sitting still.

I am totally ‘computer illiterate’. I pay for ‘technical support’ because it is worth more to me, to have them able to remotely control my computer for service, than to take it into town and be without it for a week at the time and incur a bill of $100 or more each time. They do the back-up and virus protection, and I would recommend them to anybody. They started off with only 4-6 guys working different shifts (24/7) to now having 10x as many technicians and working more regular hours; but, still open on weekends. I don’t know what they do about holidays; but, I think they were open last Christmas (for a while) because I remember connecting with them. I told them that ‘I knew enough to be dangerous to myself and my computer’. I was having problems with my laptop and they determined that it was a ‘hardware’ issue. I called HP; and, they got on it remotely and they agreed it was the keyboard; but, also my HD was going bad. So I sent it in, and it was still under warranty (for another 3 months) and I got a replacement.

Most libraries do have a ‘time limit’ of about 4 hours on their computers. Here you have to check in; and check out your time; but, you cannot go more than 4 hours in a day.

I think it was Obama who changed the name of it and started calling it ‘an entitlement’. It’s NOT an entitlement; those of us who have worked had not choice other than to pay a portion of taxes to the SSA. We did not have a choice, it just got done. Except that Congress voted to NOT be required to pay into it; but, instead have a “Cadillac” package for a life-time pay and excellent health benefits. Their children AND some of their staff benefit from this as well. Everybody might ‘think’ Congress ought to pay into SS, like the rest of have to; but, since they voted for it … I doubt they put up a bill to change it. Even ‘if’ they serve ‘only one term’, they get their life time of benefits and pay. It was renamed as ‘entitlement’ so that it could be ‘raped’ and have the monies in it, diverted to another ‘entitlement’. I think that Trump will probably sign an Executive Order to put it back to what it was meant to be; and, maybe get the money that was taken out of it, put back. IMHO! Sorry for the political statement ... but, did not 'start' it. This really is not the place to discuss 'politics' or 'religion' ... since it is world-wide and others have different opinions or they don't care. Let's try to keep it that way. :#

My DDnL#1 is ‘great’ about finding bargains online or through word-of-mouth; and, she has never been disappointed nor gotten anything that did not work.
    There is a site you can go to, and, I think it is free (might be wrong) but I think that Heather knows it … something like Duolingo (spelling????). I think you can take as many languages as you want to on it. I have meant to try it, just have not actually put in the time.

Pip – Is that a ‘new’ puppy to the litter you keep around; or, just one of them at a younger age.

Heather – For the past 2 years, I’ve used an 8’ macramé tree that I got from my Mother’s estate when we made the decision that she could no longer live alone and found a nice Assisted Living Facility for her. She liked watching us divide up her things, and knowing (but not able to remember) who got what; but her 3 girls got the majority and after we had made our choices, we started picking out for our 2 children each to have. We did it on a rotating basis, so that none of us would always have the first choice. I hang it in front of the 2nd bedroom door; and, I poke lights through the holes in it. I don’t think I will ever have another tree that takes up floor space again.

Katla – Mind if you drop the first “O” in my name? It is actually ‘Lenora’ … no ‘Leonora’. Thanks!

I go for my regularly schedule weigh-in after Christmas … this will be the 3rd time in a row that I have gone, after being in a place or holiday where good and/or fattening food has been involved. I had lost 2lbs the first time, the 2nd time I had lost .5lbs. I’m trying to make sure that I eat properly and get exercise every day during this next ‘holiday’ period (Christmas and New Year’s, for me). Or Hanukah, if I were Jewish.
    My DH and I say that our house is decorated is ‘early basement/late attic’. I can count on 10 fingers the pieces of furniture in the entire house that we have actually had to buy; and still have a couple of fingers left over. So that has really made it difficult to let go of the ‘sentiment’ in them. So, I would say that sometimes it seems to get a little ‘cluttered’ if we don’t put things back where they came from.

I’d like to buy a new sofa and 2 club chairs; been looking at samples; now that sofa beds are a lot more comfortable (if you buy a good one). I’d really like a sofa bed so that we’d have that extra room to have if family comes. I’ve talked to the man who had covered our existing sofa and chairs; to see if something could be done to help when the springs in it decide they want to fall. We’ve ended up putting flat pillows under the cushions so that we don’t sink to the floor. But, DH just had to put about $2000 in the truck with over 350,000 on it; but, a lot cheaper than having a truck payment. I love my Honda; but, now I really wished I had not fallen in love with it; and still had the “Bandit”; because it would have been paid for. But, it was going to be needing a ‘new’ transmission soon; and,, I definitely did not want to be ‘out-of-town’ when it gave out.

OMGoodness … Al Roker looks like he has a suit on that he is afraid to walk in the woods without it. Bright dayglow orange and green. A hunter’s protection against another hunter shooting by accident. I could understand if it had been ‘red and green’ as a Christmas outfit. I can’t believe he spend ‘good money’ for that one. A full suit with a matching tie! LOL!
    My DH was an ‘altar boy’ for years; but, when they changed the mass from Latin to English, his Dad stopped going to church. I agree that learning Spanish is probably more useful now than any other language; but, Latin and French are both very beautiful languages. Actually, DH would have liked to have spoken the Cajun-French that his granddaddy spoke, like pigeon is Pee-Zhon. He said the few times that he saw him get mad enough to curse, he did it in Cajun-French. Now that I am married to a man of French decent; I wish that maybe I wasn’t so hard-headed about NOT taking a ‘language class’ when I dropped out of TRIG to take ‘typing’ instead (I knew that would do me a lot more good). But the school counselor was both the French and Latin teacher and I did not, personally, like her. I had to ‘fight’ to get put into a typing class; I think that was probably the only 2nd time while I was in HS that my Mother had to stand up for me. I’m really glad that she did, because I can always find a job that requires typing; but, not if I am going to lose my SSD if I do. She also came to school to have them put me into mechanical drawing instead of Home Economics. She had already taught me how to cook, sew, and throw a large party.

Lenora
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well....the TV tech has come and gone....no TV....again....for various reasons that I just don't want to talk about....now my only option is to use my backup plan, which is to use the local company here in Dufur that I told you about that is gonna cost me three times as much for 10 crappy channels I have no interest in, along with internet service I don't need and a home landline phone service I don't need on top of which I need $186 up front just to get the tech to come out and for what meager equipment that I get....and to top that off I will have to go down to Walmart in Hood River to buy a WiFi router just so I can use a Roku streaming stick because they only provide a regular modem and the cost of the Roku stick, to get anything I might be remotely be interested in watching which won't be the channels I wanted because in order to stream those channels I have to have a cable company account or satellite TV account that includes those channels in the service package....which I won't have so those channels will be out of reach for me....so all said and done I am looking at $186 up front for the services to start them, approximately $50 for the WiFi router, plus $30 for the cheapest Roku stick that Roku makes which is the cheapest thing out there, and end up paying about $150 a month just to access channels that are not what I want and watch programming that may or may not be even remotely entertaining to me and have a phone that will never ring or be used to make a call....and with all that money going out for this crap has now forced me to back out as gracefully as I can from doing the blogs for this town and is also going to delay starting that savings account for my used but "new to me" car that I really want....the decision has been made for me on that and it is out of my control now unless I just give up on ever getting any kind of TV here and just go stir crazy in the middle of BF Nowhere....waste a lot of gas driving 20 minutes into The Dalles for ANYTHING to do or for any kind of entertainment cuz that is where the nearest Redbox is to rent movies....you wouldn't think it would not be this damn hard being only 13 miles from a city of approximately 30,000 people....but it is, and I am now seriously considering looking for another place to park this thing in probably another state away from here because when I tried to get out of that bad park in Portland I called every park I could find by every resource available to me for a 100 mile radius around Portland where all my medical care is currently and this park in this town is the only park that would take me or my 20 year old rig.....I feel like I am being punished for trying to make my life better and for living in this town....and I will probably have to move someplace where I won't have access to my "medicine" and I'll have to give that up too....when am I gonna be able to not struggle so much????....and now I have to fight off crying too so I don't get a headache on top of this.....all I want now is to know why....why is life so damn cruel to me???? Why do I have to struggle so much all the time??? Why me, what did I ever do??? Why can't I seem to get the one thing that I really want that would make this all bearable without being raped for it???? I just don't know how much more strength I have in me....now what money I can manage to save is gonna have to go to relocation costs come next spring when everything thaws out....I'll manage to survive the winter here because I basically have no choice, I don't have enough money to move right now....and to think I gave up all the things I love for this, like my painting stuff, my beading and jewelry making stuff, almost all of my books, my TV channels, over 3/4 of my movie collection and a bunch of other stuff that kept my mind entertained....now I am reduced down to what clothes I have left, a few books, a very small number of movies, my tablet, my phone, what dishes and pots/pans I have left, about a week's worth of food, my fur baby, my POS car that has 350,000 miles on it and a 32 foot box to live in....that is the extent of my belongings....on top of trying to quit smoking and trying to lose weight and being alone and lonely for Christmas....gee, ain't life grand.....I'm about to throw my little Christmas tree in the dumpster and say to hell with it....I seem to have lost the joy in the season....

I need some air so I'm gonna go for a walk.....I may or may not be back later....I don't know yet, I'll see how I feel.....if nothing else I will read your posts but I probably won't post anything again for a while....I need to wrap my head around all this, try to make a plan and go from there.....I dunno.....I just know I can't keep going like this here.....
  • pipcd34
    Options
    That was Floyd when he was a pup, Floyd in this pic is the one on the right.
    Tpz8h5927yfjf.jpg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,816 Member
    Options
    Sherry~ take a deep breath.... take a walk.. let the dust settle for a bit, and then keep looking... I am sure there is a place that would suit you.. if you are over 55 .. there are parks in almost every state that have RV Parks..
    down here in Florida they do... I will keep you in my prayers and hope a walk and some of that Calm app girlfriend will do a little bit for you..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    PIP ~ I think your pups have been trained to look cute! LOL