Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Options

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Food related: a big hunk of meat that Americans (and others) call a roast can also be referred to as a joint in some areas of UK (I think my FB friend is in Scotland). He kept talking about this "joint" he bought, and I'm all like, mmmmkay....thinking he's going to do drugs, lol.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Rubber ---> condom in Canada
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Oh my. I was working internationally and we were having a similar conversation about different word meanings. The looks on the girls faces when I used the phrase "sitting on your fanny watching the boob tube." It was all kinds of fun!

LOL Thank you Wikipedia, for explaining that Americans call boob tubes 'tube tops'

Actually, we used the term boob tube to refer to televisions.

Yes, but what we call boob tubes you call tube tops.

I get it. I misinterpreted your previous post.

So up the girls interpreted the saying as siting on their kitty staring at their rack.

haha yes! Sorry for confusion but I'm laughing as I imagine their faces when you said it LOL!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I was working internationally and we were having a similar conversation about different word meanings. The looks on the girls faces when I used the phrase "sitting on your fanny watching the boob tube." It was all kinds of fun!

LOL Thank you Wikipedia, for explaining that Americans call boob tubes 'tube tops'

So up the girls interpreted the saying as siting on their kitty staring at their rack.

Sounds like interesting fun :D
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

haha yes! Sorry for confusion but I'm laughing as I imagine their faces when you said it LOL!

Sounds like interesting fun :D

I'm laughing remembering it!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    in canada we have so many different flavors of potato chips
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

we call erasers rubbers here, but the youngins also call condoms rubbers
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Both, for me, it's more a register variation, than a regional one. My nephews may talk about rubbers. But their teachers talk about condoms.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I got some interesting looks when I lived in the UK and told some friends I was wearing pants and thongs to a party (instead of trousers and flip flops...)

does the US have toasted sandwiches? or are they called grilled cheese?
    we have toasted sandwiches (pressed) or jaffles (squished together in a machine that seals the edges and holds the filling in)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2016
    Options

I got some interesting looks when I lived in the UK and told some friends I was wearing pants and thongs to a party (instead of trousers and flip flops...)

we have toasted sandwiches (pressed) or jaffles (squished together in a machine that seals the edges and holds the filling in)

As an american, I was baffled when the cheap flippy sandals were no longer called thongs. They were when I was a pool rat in high school! Of that, I am sure.

(they were also called flip flops. but "thongs" were more like G strings or T strings etc. not thongs)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    jumper - sweater
    trackpants - sweatpants
    nappy - diaper
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    I've got friends in the north of England that call trousers 'pants', but to me 'pants' are underwear.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Might be a regional thing, but in the Southwestern US (where I've lived my entire life), those have always been called "turnovers" or "paninis".
  • Christine_72
    Options

OMG that was hilarious. That guy could been Australian, he used the exact same terminology as us.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jumper - sweater
    trackpants - sweatpants
    nappy - diaper
    Jumper= pull over dress thing
    trackpants=yes sweatpants
    nappy= yes, diaper

Southwestern US (but I travel A LOT, so I could be skewed)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    jumper - sweater
    trackpants - sweatpants
    nappy - diaper

Dummy - pacifier
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Might be a regional thing, but in the Southwestern US (where I've lived my entire life), those have always been called "turnovers" or "paninis".

we have turnovers - but they are generally puff pastry squares, filled and folded in to a triangle (like an apple turnover). and our panini is a type of long flat bread roll that would be toasted/pressed
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

OMG that was hilarious. That guy could been Australian, he used the exact same terminology as us.

That's Michael McIntyre, a comedian I sometimes love and sometimes loathe (even during the same performance).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I've got friends in the north of England that call trousers 'pants', but to me 'pants' are underwear.

for me (sw us) pants are what you wear on the outside to work or school, BUT, I'm also comfortable with trousers and slacks.

And for me: underwear, yes, but I'm also comfortable with gotch or knickers for underwear. Which my grandmother called "unmentionables".