Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The Canadian toque.

https://goo.gl/images/w3dndW
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My American friend could not comprehend the attraction of Tim's. He tried to tell me the doughnuts were not that special.

Here's another one I hit every time we visit the US. We ask for Brown bread and get a blank stare. "I mean wheat bread," OK then.

yeah, brown bread you can safely ask for in an "irish" pub here, other wise, best ask for wheat.

And while I'm not a big Tim's fan, if in an airport, I don't avoid. I *would* skip DD.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Ah tank tops are knitted pullovers (sleeveless sweaters) that our mums used to make us wear in the 70s.

Ugh. Yes, and no matter what you called them, children across the globe were dressed in those hideous things. Stripes, plaids, and paisleys (or the lucky child in an inoffensive solid) in lovely shades of harvest gold, avocado, and sunburnt sienna and orange. We had a matching macrame owl hanging on the wall :D

I had Fair Isle ones, but now I wish I'd had a matching owl! We had macrame hanging flower pot holders, which my brothers used for target practice!

Lol, I loved our macrame owl so much, my mom found an owl vest/pullover/jumper for me. It was more like the early 80s, and it was outdated, but I rocked that sweater.

Another difference, our grade school uniforms were called jumpers. It was like a knee length dress with bib suspenders attached (white blouse worn under it). Totally different thing than a sweater.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2016
    The Canadian toque.

Definitely a toque.

I love the canadian as "ef...." toques.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2016
    Ah tank tops are knitted pullovers (sleeveless sweaters) that our mums used to make us wear in the 70s.

Ugh. Yes, and no matter what you called them, children across the globe were dressed in those hideous things. Stripes, plaids, and paisleys (or the lucky child in an inoffensive solid) in lovely shades of harvest gold, avocado, and sunburnt sienna and orange. We had a matching macrame owl hanging on the wall :D

I loved the macrame owl!

Did you have a frog, pot scrubber holder?
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member

I had Fair Isle ones, but now I wish I'd had a matching owl! We had macrame hanging flower pot holders, which my brothers used for target practice!

Lol, I loved our macrame owl so much, my mom found an owl vest/pullover/jumper for me. It was more like the early 80s, and it was outdated, but I rocked that sweater.

Another difference, our grade school uniforms were called jumpers. It was like a knee length dress with bib suspenders attached (white blouse worn under it). Totally different thing than a sweater.

Haha those 80s picture jumpers, my mum made me lots of them! We called those dresses with bib and straps 'tunics' when I was at infant school.

Suspenders are what women use to hold stockings up! Well, I suppose men can use them for that too if they are so inclined...
  • williams969
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I loved the macrame owl!

Hmm, don't remember. But now I want to go through old photo albums and find pictures of my parents' 70s/early80s decor. I know we had dark wood paneled walls, too. And green carpet in the bathroom.
  • CurlyCockney

I loved the macrame owl!

OMG We had the frog, we kept the Brillo pad in his mouth!
  • williams969

Haha those 80s picture jumpers, my mum made me lots of them! We called those dresses with bib and straps 'tunics' when I was at infant school.

Suspenders are what women use to hold stockings up! Well, I suppose men can use them for that too if they are so inclined...

Ha, we call your suspenders "garters". They come in ladies version (garter belt) or sock garters for men (wrap around the calf, but not worn much anymore, unless hipsters do that, lol).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Heh...how did I know the whole fanny thing would be mentioned? :laugh:

Aussies: I'm going to use the toilet.
    US/Canada: I am going to use the bathroom.

I do realise that in the US/Canada, the w/c and bath tub/shower are mostly in the same room. In Australia, these can be separate rooms. I honestly prefer the separate rooms.

In my part of the US, no one would ever use the term "w/c".

I got in a confusing online conversation with a British guy once about what I'd called a "yard gnome". In his view, factories & such had yards, whereas homes had gardens. To me (and I think most USians?), a regular suburban house has a yard, and may have some areas thickly planted with flowers or vegetables which would be the garden.

Also, some of the supposed US/Canada distinctions are not exactly that - in my part of the US (Michigan, where Canada's a close neighbor), some of us use some of the "Canadian" terms - pop, Timmy's, etc.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

I loved the macrame owl!

Hmm, don't remember. But now I want to go through old photo albums and find pictures of my parents' 70s/early80s decor. I know we had dark wood paneled walls, too. And green carpet in the bathroom.

My basement still has all that old panel board. I painted it. There was a wall in my front entrance that had it as well when I bought the house. Ripped that out pretty fast. Along with a half wall that had the open shelves going to the ceiling.
  • CurlyCockney

Ha, we call your suspenders "garters". They come in ladies version (garter belt) or sock garters for men (wrap around the calf, but not worn much anymore, unless hipsters do that, lol).

Brides wear a blue garter (a froufrou circle of material around their thigh), but only one for some reason? What you call suspenders we call braces I think.
  • williams969

Brides wear a blue garter (a froufrou circle of material around their thigh), but only one for some reason? What you call suspenders we call braces I think.

Brides do that here, too. Just one, lol. At some wedding receptions, there's a big event where the groom has to pull it off the bride's leg in front of everyone. Then he tosses it to the bachelors. Eh, I'm glad we eloped.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    For once I can go to bed safe in the knowledge that a thread I'm interested in will still be here when I wake up (hopefully!)

Night all :-)
    Here's hoping!
  • Sabine_Stroehm

Brides do that here, too. Just one, lol. At some wedding receptions, there's a big event where the groom has to pull it off the bride's leg in front of everyone. Then he tosses it to the bachelors. Eh, I'm glad we eloped.

We have that and then some... also glad to have skipped the traditional wedding (we did the JP and invited a few to join us).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2016

LOL That's awesome, but raquetball and squash are two different games up here (western Canada).

My brother travelled Australia about 10 years ago. He wore a hat with a popular Canadian brand of clothing (does the olympic teams' clothing.) Roots. Bit unfortunate.

Driving through Death Valley once we stopped to use a toilet at a gas station. We asked to use the washroom. The attendant just stared at us. Had no clue.
    The Canadian toque.

Coo loo coo coo coo coo coo cooo. My boys know Bob and Doug's 12 days of Christmas better than the true song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32CwrOZVobo

I'll put my Canadian on.... Today we went tobaganning on a hill a few clicks away. There was wickedly cool chinook so the kids wore balaclavas and toques. One friend showed up in runners and almost froze. I brought nanimos and butter tarts for the kids to eat. They happily ate it all because I lost the elastic for the wrap. I forgot the serviettes though so they looked a mess. My youngest's nose was running like a tap - wished we had kleenex. Anyways, after a couple of hours the kids were cold so we had to head'r. I was still warm in my kangaroo jacket though. Hung out on the chesterfield for the rest of the afternoon.

Pretty Canadian, eh?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2016
    VKetoV wrote: »
    "I said give me a god **** liter cola!"

You spelldeded it wrong! It's LitRe :lol:

I had to wear knitted pullovers (vest), but also those hideous skivvies (pollerneck in American??) that mostly only came in brown, yellow or green back then.

w89532g7lger.jpg

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    VKetoV wrote: »
    "I said give me a god **** liter cola!"

You spelldeded it wrong! It's LitRe :lol:

I had to wear knitted pullovers (vest), but also those hideous skivvies (pollerneck in American??) that mostly only came in brown, yellow or green mostly back then.

w89532g7lger.jpg

Turtleneck