Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Hi Everyone! I'm back from vacation and back on track. I'm definitely up on the scale but I'm refusing to let the post holiday number mes with my head. Instead I'm going to focus on getting back to regular eating and exercising and my weight will follow. I enjoyed reading about all of your holidays and your upcoming resolutions.

@ShyCush6 you look gorgeous in thar photo! We do meat raffles here too, it must be a rural Midwest thing

@jdelaroy How did the weekend go? Sorry to hear about the person who deceived you

@wishfuljune Great job keeping up with your workouts

@gemwolf110 I love your resolution list, great specific goals!

@bluepoppies777 Let us know what you decide your word is going to be

@ngolden3320 How is your daughter? And how are you holding up?

My word for this year is strong. My fitness goals are all associated with increasing my physical strength, but I also believe that I'll need a lot of mental strength for 2017 too. I invested in the Beachbody streaming service so I can workout from home more, much cheaper than the gym and I don't have to battle crowds.

My resolutions are to:
    Do an unassisted pull up
    Get back to pre-holiday weight
    Work on body confidence. Never let self consciousness stand in my way of enjoying life
    Continue to say yes to new events/opportunities, even when they scare me
    Hit my savings goal for my future home down payment
    Continue to grow my personal relationships
  • Rachel0778
    Also hello to all newcomers! Please keep posting!
  • Dalceridae
    Dalceridae Posts: 81 Member
    I actually think strength is a great word for me this year as well (not to jump on the bandwagon!), both mental and physical. I'm taking evening classes to move into a different career path, and it's proving challenging to juggle everything.

During the holiday break, I've gotten into the habit of taking long walks every day with my dog. I'll miss those once work starts up again, but I think I will continue walking during my lunch breaks in the local park. I'm back on track after the holidays as well - I've lost my Christmas weight (probably mostly water) + a couple extra pounds, so I'm happy that for the first time, I didn't let something like this derail me completely.
  • tazzy2911
    tazzy2911 Posts: 323 Member
    Hi ladies,
    Happy new year to you all! I hope you had a great Christmas.

So I haven't logged on here in a while (last time I posted to the group was in June...so bad!!!) in the last 6 months I totally fell off the wagon gaining over a stone
  • Rachel0778
    @Dalceridae Congrats on losing the Xmas weight already! I'm more than happy to share the word of the year with you, we can keep eachother on track

@tazzy2911 Welcome Back! We missed you! Let's lose the holiday weight together

@gemwolf110 Great word for 2017

I spent the morning volunteering taking down Christmas lights and am now debating on if that can count as my activity for the day since I just want to be lazy and curl up with tea and a book since it's my last day of vacation before I go back to work. Maybe I'll compromise and do some yoga this afternoon. I hope everyone is having a great day off!
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Rachel - well done on the volunteering. Did you conclude that it was your exercise for the day - I think I might have done in your position! Hope your first day back at work goes ok.

@tazzy2911 - welcome back! Let's do this for 2017 :)

@Dalceridae - well done for losing the christmas weight so quickly. I think lunchtime walk breaks are an excellent idea - exercise and time out of the office is such a good thing overall, I need to do more of that and less eating lunch at my desk whilst checking e-mails!

Shy - hope your father in law is doing better? You are getting organised for the new year with goal charts - I'm impressed! Love the pic of your pup in her hat - she does not look impressed :)

@wishfuljune - sure it is just water weight, that would be a huge amount of 'real' weight which I'm sure you've not done! The reunion does sound fun - it is so hard when good friends/family are a long way away.

Jen - well done on the loss - and for not letting the lying friend get you down. At least you were able to talk to them and (hopefully) resolve it so that they won't do so again. So hurtful and i find as i get older that I have less patience for such things - life is so short and I find I'm slimming down my friends list to those who really matter and care.

Joy - I know what you mean about the goodies, I'm desperately trying to get stuff out of the house so that I won't eat it!

Nicole - hope you are doing ok and that 2017 has got off to an ok start for you.

And welcome to all the newbies!

Well, I'm back - it's been an awesome couple of weeks. Christmas was lovely and I've enjoyed the time at home with Alistair so much but I guess it's back to reality today (this is my last day off, back at work tomorrow). Dropped Alistair off at nursery this morning - now that he is 2 years old, he has progressed to the next room up in the chain. He has been so ready for it developmentally but they wouldn't move him till he was 2 (something to do with child to carer ratios) and he was getting so bored in his old room with a load of kids 6-9 months younger than him. When we got to nursery today and he realised he was going upstairs he cheered :)

My word for the year is self care (ok, that's two words but who's counting!). I spend so much time looking after and out for everyone else that I don't always stop and take the time for me - so this year is it. I'm back and determined. Christmas was a motivator for me in an unexpected way - my lovely husband decided to be creative with presents for me and bought me a lovely summer dress and a top and skirt combination for smart occasions (he has a good eye for clothes). So he asks me to try stuff on - top is fine, skirt is a little tight but will work. But we couldn't get the dress done up over my top half - talk about being horrified (I will not exchange it for a larger size!!!). So my target is to be in this dress for the summer (around my birthday in June would do).

So my plan for the day is a workout (once I've finished here!) then wrestle the house back into a bit of shape - and maybe some work on Alistair's blanket later in the day. Husband is back at work (and very cross that he didn't take today off with me!!). Hope the week is treating you all well so far and speak soon.
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    @rachel0778 I survived the weekend. I think I was close to my calories. I didn't log for the weekend. It was a nice break. I probably stayed right around maintenance all week. I like your word, and resolutions. You are right about the healthy habits. Glad to see you back.

@Dalceridae walking is so relaxing. Good job not being derailed. I love walking during my lunch break. I just do it out in our warehouse.

@gemwolf110 Balance is a great word, I think we all struggle with this. Trying to fit work, fun, family and health all in at once is difficult. I like making lists, that seems to help me stay focused.

@tazzy2911 Well welcome back then! Good to see your smiling face, you can climb back on. :)

@janetay01 Yeah we were able to talk and resolve the issue I think. I normally cut liars completely out of my life, but this is someone I couldn't imagine not having in my life. I love the new vigor you are feeling, and self love, self care is a great theme for the year. That means you have given yourself permission to say no. It is always great to see our children excited about a new opportunity.

I am also back to work and ready to go on this new year. I survived the weekend, probably kept close to maintenance. I won my end of year bet with the BF. I rocked it I lost almost 7 pounds (I have no idea how) Today though it shows I am up 1.5 pounds. I am not going to worry about it. I am going with a little over eating, a little water weight, and the normal ups of being a woman. I was very lazy the last two weeks. It was such a great break, and now I am ready to kick some major but, and continue to work on losing this weight.

I was thinking about how much weight I have lost, and how much further I wanted to go. If I was aiming for the low end of the healthy range, Than I am a third of the weigh there. If I am just aiming for my original goal, I am a little less than halfway there. Holy smokes, I have done great!

My one word for the year is going to be perseverance!

Hope everyone has a great day back at work, and meets their daily goals!
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,600 Member
    Happy New Year to everyone!

So glad to see many of you stuck to your goals right up to the end of the year. I love everyone's words so far! Strong (Strength), Perseverance, Self-Care (so important!), and Balance! All of these are amazing words to focus on in the upcoming year. I've thought long about it this weekend, and I think my word for 2017 will be "Stride". I have taken great strides to lose weight in the past year, and I need to continue to do so this year. Each stride could be a pound lost, a new PR for weight-lifting, or just making it to the gym five times a week. It also rhymes with pride, and I am very proud of what I've been able to accomplish in a year on MFP.
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    @wishfuljune I love it. Stride is a fantastic goal. It can fit into so many parts of your life.
  • Rachel0778
    @wishfuljune Fantastic word! I'm looking forward to taking many strides with you this year!

@janetay01 Glad Alistair was finally able to move up! Sorry to hear about the dress :( That is really frustrating, but I bet you'll be rocking it by this summer

@jdelaroy Congrats on winning the competition! Did you get anything for the prize?

I was lazy and didn't do a supplemental workout to my volunteering. Mentally it was the best thing for me because I woke up completely refreshed and ready to tackle the day today.

On a less cheerful note, I received a snapchat from a good friend that sent me into a serious jealousy spiral. She looked so great and I am still feeling so bloated and gross from the holidays. I hate that I couldn't just feel happiness for her and that my mind took that awful turn. I'm really hoping that being back in my routine this week helps to get me back in the right mindset
  • tazzy2911
    It sounds like you girls have been doing great! I had a big long post written the other day but it only posted a little piece of it
  • tazzy2911
    Aghhh it happened again! It keeps cutting my posts off
  • tazzy2911
    I was saying I love all your words- my word for 2017 is commitment. I've set goals and I need to commit to healthy eating, logging and exercise to reach my goals.
    I rejoined ww today and I'm feeling motivated and ready to do this!
  • Dalceridae
    @wishfuljune That's a great word and very appropriate. We need to keep making strides in life to avoid getting stuck in a rut

@Rachel0778 Sometimes if we're feeling bad about ourselves, it's hard to feel good about others. It's good to recognise those feelings though - many people will just react to those jealous feelings without thinking about where they are coming from or whether that person deserves to be treated like that. Mindset is everything. The same event can be interpreted different ways depending on your perspective and emotions.
  • ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    edited January 2017
    Dalceridae: Colorado hikes are awesome! I so want to live there!! My husband has never been and I really want to vacation there soon! Glad you enjoyed the dog walks and glad she is doing better… poor girl… Strength covers so much! I think that is why I chose it as well! It’s not about health alone… it’s overall lifestyle and all the things in my life I need strength to get through!

Rachel: Way to stay positive and just be glad you enjoyed the holidays.. no looking back and sulking over a number! Great word for you!! That is a word I would associate to you ALWAYS!! You seem so strong! And great resolutions!! Christmas decorations can be a lot of work!! =)

Gem: Great word! I think all of us could use that to help us in the new year!

Tazzy! We missed ya girl! Welcome back!! Way to rejoin WW and get back on track!! Great word and that will get you where you need to be! You got this lady!!

Janetay: Thanks so much for the concern of my FIL… he has finally moved to the rehab facility. Things are looking up… Hopefully only there 2-3 weeks! Fingers crossed! Great word for you as well! I think as mothers we tend to put everyone before us! Sounds like you had a nice day to yourself yesterday already!!

Jdelaroy: Way to go!! You have made great strides!! Love watching so many succeed! What a motivating feeling!! Glad you had a wonderful holiday season!

June: Love it!! Stride!! You are going to stride right into your goals!! Keep it up lady!! =)

Well my holidays rocked! I truly enjoyed all of it!! I did make it to the gym Friday afternoon… So I was happy with myself there. Saturday we had a house party with friends and it was a nice low key gathering! Made a couple visits to the FIL… he moved into the rehab facility now and we can bring in our puppy to visit him as well! He loves it!! Taking her again tonight! Sunday we had a lazy day and didn’t get much done. All my Christmas décor is still up! Yes… I am terrible! I’m sure it will come down this week! I did go to the movie “Sing”… with Lexi and her friend… that was cute! I resisted all popcorn! =) Monday we watched the Badgers win the Cotton Bowl while Lexi was off visiting a friend home from California! Then we had a movie night last night! Now back to reality… I didn’t get in a workout this morning but I am determined to get something in before days end! Working on my 10K steps today as well! I’ve really slacked! I did avoid the scale and figure I will hit it tomorrow, give myself a few days just in case… But I think I was pretty good over the holidays! This is the first year I actually was thinking of what damage I was doing instead of not caring and it feels good to still be in a good place after the holidays!! Now strength to persevere! Hope everyone has a great day!! Happy New Year!!
    I forgot to mention that my mom took a picture of my over the holidays and that is my new motivation to get going! I was not pleased with how I looked! Sometimes you just need that wake up... and that seemed to be one for me!! Here's to weighing less in 2017!!
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Hi Guys, long time no speak.
    So, I've been away for quite some time now, and to cut a long story short I'm right back where I started at the beginning of 2016. Since my Mum passed in April I've put back on every single lb I lost, and a few more to boot. This makes me very sad, but on the plus side, I managed it before, so I know I can do it again.
    I spent Christmas with my partner, his parents, and our friends on a beautiful sunshiney island called Tenerife, and now I'm back and rested a ready to start over after a very difficult year.
    My word for 2017 is 'committed'. I need to be more committed to myself and my goals and staying on track.
    Here's to the year ahead, may we all succeed in our endeavours.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,407 Member
    I haven't posted in so long...and I've bunches to share...

CariT: Grief and all the stuff that goes with loss of a loved one is so hard. I lost my grandmother and my sister within one month in 2015 and I put on nearly 30 pounds in the next year. I'm back to where I was then...It just takes time. Don't be too hard on yourself. Hang in there!

ShyCush: I love that! Everyone has been talking about a word for the year and I hadn't found one I like or that fit...but you gave it to me! Transformation!

Rachel: It sounds pretty normal to me, especially since you've worked so hard. But I bet you didn't say anything like that to her. You probably replied with something complimentary...I'd pay more attention to what you do than to what your first reaction was. You're feeling disappointed in your progress the past couple weeks and she looks like you want to feel. Perfectly natural to feel envious...but you also want to feel happy for her...and that counts!

I'm so glad everyone had a nice holiday...island vacations, parties, and so busy! I'm not much of a Christmas person myself. My in-laws mostly have indoor animals, which I'm allergic to, and I can't visit them, so my husband goes alone and I have very little family. We spent a bunch of time working on Christmas presents--this year we decided to make a family calendar with fun photos and everyone's birthday. It doesn't sound like much but choosing and editing photos and layouts take a lot of time! When we do family calendars we like to use photos of teddy bears (we have nearly 3 dozen, they're our kids) doing fun things...we had a bunch of unused photos from last time but we dragged the bears around the city and did some more photography for it. I used Snapfish this year. Had a good coupon and they turned out really well.

Five days before Christmas I slipped on some ice and fell, breaking three bones in my foot...as a result, I'm down for the count for a while. I'd been doing so well, walking several days a week and now I do good to get around the house for basic stuff. Depressing is what that is...and for four or five more weeks! Argh!

I'm pleased the new year has begun and hope that it is better than the last two...I'm hoping that I can lose another 50 pounds or so in the next twelve months and am worried the next few weeks will result in setbacks. I'm going to keep logging and trying to find some decent exercises that don't require two feet!
  • Dalceridae
    @melaniedscott Ouch, so sorry to hear about your foot. That must be very frustrating and add to the stress of the new year.

@ShyCush6 Glad your father-in-law is improving. I'm sure the puppy visits are doing him lots of good. I love the idea of transformation over resolutions.

I want to start adding in some resistance type exercise, especially now that I don't have time for long walks every day. Last night I was just too tired after work, and this morning I had to drag myself out of bed and struggled to get ready on time.

On the plus side though, the cool IT guy has now helped me rig a standing desk for my laptop, so now I can switch between sitting at my desktop and standing during the day. Should hopefully help with the shoulder issues (and not sitting all day!)
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,299 Member
    @melaniedscott - So sorry to hear about you breaking your foot, that is such a downer for the holiday season and the New Year. Hopefully you can find some appropriate workouts and be back on both feet as soon as possible. I love your calendar idea - we have a small group of cuddly toys (bears and the like) that travelled everywhere with us for a while - we have a range of photographs of them from when we were on honeymoon in New Zealand - what a lovely idea to make a calendar out of them.

Cari - welcome back! You are right - you've done it before so you can do it again. Grief is so hard to deal with, it's no wonder you lost sight of other things. Be gentle on yourself and hopefully 2017 will be kind to you.

Shy - glad that your FIL is doing better and that the dog can visit, people should take more note of the good that pets can do people. Sounds like you had an amazing holiday period and well done for being more aware. I too found that this year - in past years, if my husband was offering mince pies in the evening I would have said yes - regardless of whether I was hungry. In the last few days, I've found myself actually questionning whether I want one and on two occasions turning it down. It feels good to realise that you are just that bit more conscious of what you are doing.

@tazzy2911 - well done for rejoining WW. And I'm glad it's not just me that gets my posts cut off when I try to use my phone - drives me nutty!

Rachel - I sympathise with that emotion, it's hard sometimes to feel the positive for someone else. However, as @Dalceridae said, it's good that you recognise it and push on from it. Sounds like you made the right decision not to do the additional workout - hope the first day back at work was ok.

Jen - you have done so great with your goals, whichever way you look at it. I like your word for the year - I think I need a bit of that as well!

So I'm back at work today (working from home). Logged on to find 192 new emails :( - so much going on over a supposedly quiet time of year and so much chaos caused. I wish I didn't have to work! Alistair had a great first day in his new nursery room and barely gave me a backward glance as I dropped him off this morning! I'm hoping he will have a lot of fun and learn lots with them this year. Anyway, back to work - have a good day all.