WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,055 Member
    Options
    Christy prayers as you prepare to start treatment.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Fitness Test
    Jumping jacks not leg lifts!
  • ctleonard9
    ctleonard9 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well I found this group 1 week late but am glad to join in with other 50+ women. I lost 10 lbs on MFP spring last year incorporating elliptical in the early AM before I went to work and 1400 cal./day. Then after 3 months and 10 pounds lost my body and mind said enuf of this crazy AM schedule and I just stopped both the cardio in the morning and the counting and gained 5 pounds back. 27 December I started a more sustainable routine after work - a cardio and weight training routine and 1400 calories/day eating program. I have been going consistently to the gym but I must need to tweak my eating because I have gained 2 pounds. I must not be logging carefully enough. It is so great to see such a varied and interesting group of gals on this thread. A little about myself: I am 56 211# an aerobics queen until illness and injury set me back starting at 39 y.o. But I am working on acceptance of where I am now with my age and weight. I need to remind myself that there are some things I cannot control but my diet and exercise are 2 things I can control. So here I (we) go "one day at a time".
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Finally caught up with all the posts!

For everyone who is facing or has faced major physical problems, prayers for you.

Newbies ~ Welcome and keep coming back.

We are expecting anywhere from 3 to 5 inches of snow tonight. Now, for you who are used to have it in feet, you must remember that this is GA in the deep South. Folks go crazy here whenever there is any snow or sleet or ice. All of the shelves empty out of milk, eggs, bread and wine/beer. Most of the schools have let out 2 hours early to get the children home. A couple of years ago it was utter chaos and people who were leaving in the rush hour traffic abandoned their cars and tried to walk home. My biggest worry is for my son having to drive to Canton, GA early in the morning for work and not getting off work until late Sat. nite.

Carol in GA
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have a kind of weird problem. I really like to get out of the office for lunch and take a walk whenever the weather cooperates. Today it was really cold but sunny so I had a go. And the same thing happened that happens half the time it seems--some guy or other panhandles me. Today it was two times.

I am one of those types that likes to help people but honestly I hate getting asked for money on a city street. I do not know of many ladies that are equipped or desirous of stopping with a stranger, opening up a messy purse and looking about for spare change. Even coat pockets are a mess this time of year. Does anybody else have this problem? Also I only have half an hour and that is often the only time I can exercise and I need my time alone to do this.

So I shake my head and speed walk away. But then I feel kind of guilty. But I have no way to stick any change anywhere that is easy to get to, plus I feel vaguely threatened. What do you ladies do if you have this problem? Should I just follow the "I don't do guilt anymore?" philosophy?

Betty
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Betty ~ I feel exactly the same as you. I usually just try to pretend like I don't see them. I feel very sorry for them.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Our city had a "brown out" with the power strobing a bit so it blew out our router, and other tech stuff! This happened on Wednesday night and the temps were 17' outside. So our computer has been acting crazy!

I rec'd an Amazon Fire tablet, from my elderly neighbor so sweet! In her words, "I don't know or care to learn about all that crap!" For me its kind of fun, logging food, even using the barcode feature and just scan it and it goes on your food diary! So there is a feature in the "Nutrition" tab and you can see a pie chart of your day. I am right on target today, 50% carbs, 20% fats, and 30% proteins.

Today's lunch shall be 4 oz of cooked chicken
    1 tsp of olive oil to cook chicken with spices and brown the rice a bit
    1/4 cup of Bisquick mix for some dumplings
    2 tsp of boullion for my soup
    1/2 cup of royal blend tri colored rice (1/2 dry)
    1/2 cup mandarin oranges (um not put in the soup mind you)

a feast for sure!!

for dinner I am making a small sandwich of some multi grain bread (1 slice 57 g. worth)
    25 g. of spinach
    1 tsp of margarine
    3 slices of Hillshire farms turkey
    1 cup of brocolli
    1 tsp of olive oil
    2 walnuts

for my snacks I am having a cup of coffee with my square of chocolate... this could be a nightly thing!

I am powerful, smart and am getting my *kitten* together!
    Welcome all the new members!
    I am the crazy one of this group, (well I feel like it sometimes), but heck I will take it as a compliment! (probably the only nudist in the group that is for certain)... hahahaha!

Becca
    so not a nudist now though...in 20' chilly Oregon

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Oh, Becca, we love you and wouldn't have you any other way. Glad your off to a great start. You know you can do this. (((Hugs))) girl friend.

By the way, I use the pie chart every day. I love it.

Janetr okc (where we have 3-4" of snow and its 17 degrees)

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Christy in Melbourne Australia: Welcome to a great group. I hope the chemo goes well and that you sail through it without too much discomfort. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh – That happens to me all the time! I cannot believe police refuse to do something about it. Don’t they get paid to provide public protection?? Ha ha!

All you daily weighers – It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who weighs daily, but use it only as a guide throughout the week. For some reason, this helps keep me focused. I know it doesn’t work for everyone, but happy to know I’m not alone! :wink:

I’m not up to 1 pound of veggies yet, but I have done a good job of getting some veggies in with every meal. So I’m making progress! 

Aubsgg – I know how it feels to not be motivated!! Stick with it and don’t THINK, just DO. That’s the only way I can get it done. I did get in 3 workouts this week and will be doing one tonight (hopefully)! So glad to have all of you to help keep me committed to my resolutions!

Glenda

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    glenda. I weigh everyday and take my blood pressure every morning--this focuses me to make healthy choices o:)

TGIF! DD is making veggie teriyaki stir fry and I have got my feet up!! Maybe we will get a dusting of snow tonight--all you southeasterner are stealing the snow from the NYC area, thank you :p

Take care everyone, NYKAREN
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Cheri - Sometimes I throw it in the trash and then Louis comes and throws wet coffee grounds on it. YUK; but, like buying a ‘new’ dish; don’t even know the name of the maker, what it was or anything. I get the yogurt parfaits at Publix and that fills me up for breakfast. My biggest problem with cheese is knowing when to stop; or weighing it. If I cut thin slices it seems like a lot more than one big slice. The sticks, while only 80 calories in most of them, I want more than one. I take my printouts to the nurse/MD every 2 weeks, that way she can scan them into their computer and go back and compare what I was doing when I was losing. I think that my body has gotten ‘used’ to my menu; and, it is screaming … “CHANGE ME UP SOME!”

Carol – Reminds me of the time that Louis decided we’d just go to Jacksonville, FL to visit his parents. We were supposed to have ‘snow’ on that Christmas. I had jeans and a long sleeve shirt on when we were packing car, no coat or sweater. Got to Moultrie and snow on the yards; but, not on any of the streets. Got to Valdosta; and, we might have just have been picked up and set down in Cincinnati, OH or somewhere it snows or sleets a lot, or ices over a lot. I wanted to turn around and come back home. “Oh, no problem, it won’t last long" … so we got on the expressway. It took us 12 hours from the time we got on the expressway in Valdosta to the interchange to get on I-10 in North Florida; but, we could not go any further that way (1 lane) and 3 trucks were blocking it; so we had to go to the right towards Tallahassee, FL and then find a flat space on the median to cross over; because we knew we’d not be able to get up the exit.

We had stopped in Moultrie and bought a meal, with a 64-ounce cup of Coke to share. The trucks kept move in-and-out of the lane and emergency lanes trying to stop cars driving down the emergency lane; but, cars were coming around them whenever they moved back into the lane. Ours sons wanted us to stop and pull over; and, Louis told them … "Look at those cars on the sides of the road, they’ve stopped and can’t get rooms, they’re all full; we are going to Jacksonville.”

Then DYS says, “I’ve gotta pee!” I handed over the cup and told him to use it. His eyes get really big and he said, ‘Mom, I will fill it up’. “No baby, you won’t – your bladder isn’t that big." So he starts and pees and pees and pees; when he stopped I turned to get the cup; and, he had indeed filled it (about 1/16th of an inch from the top). The cars kept speeding past us, I needed to pee myself; so I rolled the window down and waited for the next car to come speeding by and threw it out the window! Splash … right on the window shield and door with a slightly cracked window so that the inside would not fog up. Everybody in the car could not believe what I had done. Looked ahead of me, and several others were doing the same. When I said I was needing to go, the boys, asked, “How are you going to do that? “In the cup”; so I get up on my knees in the passenger seat and parked myself over it … peed, carefully held on to the cup as I got back into a sitting position. Same thing … out the window on a car! We still laugh about it; but, if there is ‘snow’ or ‘sleet’ broadcast; I am not going to travel in it.

They are expecting snow down around Macon and a little further down. You can have all the snow you want. The last time we got snow was about 5 years ago and it was a ‘fluke’. Told by the meteorologist that we would not get snow or ice.

Pretty to look at, pain in the @$$ to deal with, especially if you are not used to it.

Maybe they will shut the streets and interstates down and his boss will let him off. I’ve heard that Atlanta says they will never get caught with the ‘pants down’ again in a snow and sleet storm that hit there a couple of years ago. I can remember having sleet storms in Forsyth growing up and Sheriff Grant calling him to see if we could put up a family several times a winter. Will and Tami are getting snow (or so Trey thinks from looking on the map). He called him; but, he hasn’t called back. He’s also been very sick over the weekend with flu-like symptoms. Trey and Jenn were hit with it this weekend, too.

Betty – Do feel bad or guilty. I’ve gone to the grocery store and see people in wheelchairs or standing around with “Vet” or “Will work for food” and accosted on the street by panhandlers. Stick with your “I don’t do guilt anymore” philosophy. I handed one of the guys with a ‘sign about needing food’ a sack that I had gotten the bag boy to pack separately and I handed it to him. He was offended and handed it back to me, saying he wanted ‘money’ instead. I pulled the bag back in the window and told him … you’re just a freaking bun – change your sign. Nobody wants someone looking like YOU doing anything around their houses. I’ve seen the ‘Vets’ or ‘claiming to be’ parked in a part of the parking lot that is set aside … and, then gone over and gotten in it. There is a lady that walks all over Albany and wears black from her head and down to her feet. A wool hat, a wool coat, black stockings, and black shoes; all year long. The checkout ladies said that she will come in and get the samples when they are cooked or being given, and, then walk out. Says she never is seem talking to anyone. Doesn’t say anything either. She’ll go to the deli; and want a sample of either the meat or cheeses, and move on. She never buys anything either. The manager just lets her in because she doesn’t bother anybody and doesn’t talk to anybody. I’ve seen her everywhere, always walking! Coat on, even when it is triple digits.

I walk away saying, “I don’t have any change.” And then, I am deaf to what they say once I do. My husband doesn’t mind giving them money. I act like I don’t see them; but, when they walk into what I consider ‘my space’ then I turn away; sometimes back into the store to ask a bag boy or security to walk me to my car.

Becca – That was nice of you to do that. I might do that; I’ve heard the story of the woman at McDonald’s who see a couple of guys come in to use the restroom, sit at a table and just warm up. She buys them breakfast and takes it to them. Some people have fallen on hard times, others do it because they want the cash … some to use on alcohol and/or drugs. But, I have to agree with Betty; a lot of them have chosen this way of life.

Lenora
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Today was blood donation day and I'm patting myself on the back for planning ahead. I've been sent home a couple of times for anemia, so we had steak and strawberries for dinner last night. (The blood center says that strawberries help you absorb iron.) It's a good thing I planned, because I haven't felt well since I got home. I'll probably just squeak by under my calorie limit if I don't exercise, or finish the day comfortably if I find enough energy to sit on the exercise bike this evening.

One thing I've found with tracking is that you can do nearly anything if you plan for it - eating out, parties, birthdays, whatever.

Now to behave myself for the weekend. This is where the unpredictability of my weekends tends to get me in trouble!

-Yvonne in TX
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to donate blood. I also have a friend who has the rarest of bloods; I think it is AB- we found that out in chemistry when we had to figure out what blood type we were (or it might have been biology). We were in a 'lab' and I think the only lab in school was in Chemistry class.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Wow, snow in TX. Roads are a mess in the metroplex. Glad I'm retired and not in the middle of it.
    Christy- best wishes for your upcoming journey to treat your cancer.
    Been working on the 40lb. Challenge. Push-ups 10x2 (modifies),crunches 10x 2,jumping jacks 10x2 (modified). Walked 35minutes in the house.
    As for age, I am 77 (see Itold you I am the oldest) but aa long as I am active I feel good.
    Time for dinner. It was my observation today that a lb of fruit is very easy as my navel orange (which I shared with DH) weighed .15oz.
    SueBDew in TX
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    yvonne. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water - donating blood will dehydrate you.