Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • sherryminchagain
    sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Just went outside to have a smoke and it's snowin' to beat the band here!!!

Sherry
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    (((Sherry))) to staying safe. Glad you can come here to stay in touch.

ljakubowsky great goals. I think this forum is very supportive. We try to be respectful. It is hard to always hear the intention when others respond because we are not talking face to face. Just know those who are here only mean you the best and want you to succeed. Whatever forums work for you make sure to click on the star by the title of the forum, This bookmarks it and makes it easier to find it again.

:heart: Margaret
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Sherry - so wonderful to "see" you! Which app do you have?

canookie - love the cartoon. Where do you get such cute ones?

"Exercise is a celebration of what your body can do, not a punishment for what you ate"

Lenora - maybe there is no such thing as global warming??????

went to church tonight to lector. I was really surprised that they hadn't done a single thing to the parking lot. I left early and by the time I left what was slush was starting to freeze over.

Joyce - I'm going to mention the TENS unit to my friend. I know I've told you about her, she's the lady who is real overweight, she really needs to lose weight to get her knees replaced but I don't see her trying at all. Her diet! Now she's in terrible pain and can't exercise (or won't)

Sue in TX - oh no! No electricity! Meaning no heat, can't cook, nothing. That's rough. Glad it's back on now

Cat - welcome! My daughter lives in Reston

Welcome everyone else new

lj..... (give us an easier name to refer to you) - yes, everyone here is very supportive and only want the best for you.

think I'll watch a bit of TV under the blanket after putting on my pj's.

Michele in NC
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Kate UK love the pictures. Reminded me of movies filmed in places like that.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    B)B):p
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sherry, we will hug you and welcome you in whatever form you feel comfortable to be here. Big hugs to you.

Michele, the TENS unit I have is the the Aleve one. I think Icy Hot has one but I don't know how it works. I just put the unit on my spine where it hurts then use the remote and turn it on. I keep the remote in my pocket. I put it on a 30 minute cycle and it can be used every 30 minutes. I have been able to use these same pads for 5 days now which will keep the cost down for me.

ljakubowsky, you mentioned using the forums more. I'm not sure if you meant the MFP forums or forums in general. Most of the women here, including me, have found that a lot of the other forums here on MFP can get pretty ugly and nonsupportive.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Just went outside to have a smoke and it's snowin' to beat the band here!!!

Sherry

That's one of the reasons I quit a long time ago
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I spent the past couple days reading "Year of No Sugar" and watching YouTube videos featuring Dr. Robert Lustig from U Cal "Sugar: The Bitter Truth." WOW.

I always knew sugar was bad...and had been taught the carbs in general were bad so tried to keep as many simple carbs out of my diet...unless there was a plate of cookies, bag of Hallowe'en Candy, Ice Cream, Pastries.... one was never enough and I'd eat to bursting, mainly in the evening. Every evening.

I now understand much better why, a couple years ago, I started to relax my attitude about sugar - added simple carbs and consequently put on 10 lbs around my middle and cannot seem to stop the binging. This was while struggling with Weight Watchers - which I do credit for the weight gain not being worse.

Anyhow, I will start on this journey again and do what I can to limit the added sugars as mentioned above. He said the sugars in fruits and veggies are OK since they have the fiber to offset the Metabolic Syndrome. I don't drink pop and only put milk in my coffee, and love strong black tea.

I'm going to use the MFP logging to keep track of the sugar, but not get worried about the calories. I love to eat eggs, avocados, nuts so get high quality protein and healthy fats.

Also, I can't toss out the scale but will not weigh in more than once a month. The WW "weigh-ins" derailed me more than once and I refuse let the scale have that much power.

On another note, we aren't thawed out yet but it's warmer and starting to snow.

Rita, I hope you are feeling better. I don't blame you for being anxious about your job/disability situation. All I can offer is find things that bring you joy right now, right this minute, even if it's just shutting your eyes for a bit and counting your breaths in and out.

Love the puppy pictures. I'm posting one of Sophie when she was a pup with her kitty friend Ellie. They still play and are good buddies.

I've changed my profile pic - my hair is longer now. Have a good night! I wish you all successful journeys!

Lanette
    SW Washington State

o8u5nbxc34eb.jpg
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Marnie: You may not have the best weiner dog mushing team in Alaska, but they've got to be the cutest. I love Alaska. Have been five times: Anchorage, Fairbanks, Denali, Sitka, Juneau and waaaaay out west to Bethel. Jaw-dropping beauty, and I'm speaking as someone who used to live in Hawaii.

Sherry: Good to see you again. How's Missy?

Joyce: Fervently hoping you find a lasting resolution to your pain. You deserve to feel well

Warm thoughts going out to all of you who are feeling the deep freeze. Remember than being in the cold burns calories...your body works hard trying to generate warmth. It's what I kept repeating to myself walking the two blocks to the condo gym this AM. Temperature was an even ZERO. :open_mouth::astonished:

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a good day/ happy day Saturday!!!

Here is my workout for today:
    Yard-work 15 mins, Treadmill 22 mins, stretched 7 mins, Fitbit- 15521 steps/7.35 miles as of now, Fitness Test- crunches 3X10, push ups 3x10 and squats 3x10 (substitute for jumping jack)
  • sherryminchagain
    sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hey now...

Michele - hi sweetie! I've been using SparkPeople's app....I find it more accurate for calories consumed and for calories out in exercise, and the food tracking tracks a lot more nutrients than MFP. The foods database isn't as big but it allows you to add foods to the database and they have companion apps for nutrient info for a large assortment of most foods as well as veggies and fruits nutrients. Plus they have companion apps for crock pot recipes, fast recipes and other recipes and all the apps sync with their respective websites so you can use either the site or the app. Plus you can earn Spark points for little virtual goodies you can give yourself or friends as encouragement and rewards. Plus they have forums, challenges and what they call SparkStreaks that track your goals and you can earn little virtual trophies for maintaining your goals, etc. It's an awesome program and I really like it. Plus you can sync fitbits, jawbones, garmins etc to it. So that's what I've been using.

Pip - I only fell off the non-smoking wagon because I'm under an immense amount of stress as I am now a domestic violence victim who is now homeless and penniless. It's a long story but I plan to quit again once I get into permanent housing instead of a DV shelter and don't have so much stress. For now it helps calm me and helps me maintain a decent attitude. And I'm not smoking near as much as I did before I quit. I only have a few a day.

Joyce - thanks hun, I've missed you all greatly.

Margaret - thanks for the hugs dear!

Remind me sometime and I will tell you all what has been happening. It's a long story but will try to keep the post short as I can.

Anyway, it's dinner time so I'm gonna step away from my screen for a bit.

Love you all

Sherry
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Welcome to the newest ladies. This thread can be such a help in your journey.

Christy - so sorry about your diagnosis. It sounds like you are taking charge of the things you can control.

Pip - Sing "Happy Birthday" to Yogi for me!

Someone said something about Springer Spanials. My family had Springers when I was young. My uncle bred them and we got puppies from him. They are wonderful dogs.

Lisa -Good to have a good "hoper" around. I think hope or the lack of it is at the center of what motivates many us in this one day at a time journey.

Michelle - I love what you posted about exercise! So true.

Katie - Congrats of 4 lbs down!

Sherry - Welcome back!

Marni - I am so fascinated by your African Gray parrot. I have a parrot story I'll share another time.

Must run and cook for the hubs.

Toni in Tennessee

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    <3Sherry, I'm glad to see you here with us again and sorry to hear that there have been more troubles in your life. I use Spark People for a lot of the gimmicks but prefer the food and exercise tracking on MFP.

:)Chris in MA, it's good to see you again. Keep coming back.

:) On my out of town adventure, one of the people I saw was a young woman that I hadn't seen since March. When I saw her last, she was heavy and talked to me about her new eating and exercise plan. When I saw her last night, she was amazingly thin and gorgeous and inspired me to tackle the two pounds that are still lingering from my low exercise time after surgery. It is so great to see someone face to face who has actually stayed with a healthy plan and had success.

:'( Unfortunately my inspiration got derailed at Red Lobster where I succumbed to the lure of cheddar biscuits. The good news is that I went for a walk when I got home so at least I have 12.000 steps to keep my walking streak alive. Back to my real motivated world. I have a date to meet friends for walking at 8 AM tomorrow.

winter-cold-smiley-emoticon.gif Barbie from very chilly NW Washington
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lacruiser2016 – If you attempted to go ‘back a page’ without saving (or posting) your remarks on this page … you will lose your post (every time). It took me losing several posts until someone told me that they would open up a word processing program and put it side-by-side to the opened MFP community page and type their responses there, then 'cut' and 'paste' them to the box at the end of all postings. Even then, I find that ‘if’ it is a long post; I find that sometimes trying to 'paste it' won’t take. What I do then, is copy it back to the WPP page and wait a few moments and try it again. I do not close out my WPP page, until I know that my post has been accepted by MFP. Usually it works the next time. I think it is because so many are posting at the same time. This is a ‘huge’ thread. I don’t know how it would, if it would, work on an iPad. I use a laptop or my desktop. I don’t own an iPad or any other type of ‘new’ electronic.

Great about your 4lb loss! You're right - it probably will not continue; but, losing a pound to a pound-and-a-half a week is probably much safer and more likely that your weight loss will be more permanent. It is important that you keep up with what passes your lips … meals, drinks, snack, and licks and spoonsful during cooking. Keep on tracking and a lot of us envy you for living in much warmer climate (Florida). That is where my DH and I ‘thought’ one day we would retire and live. But, we are ‘out in the country’ and Florida and Louisiana are our vacation spots. My middle sister lives in Miami and has for the past 35 years and wouldn’t move any further north than Satellite Beach if she was paid to do so. Oldest sister lives in Peachtree City, GA and really wants her to move up there. DMS tell her 'you're crazy'!!!!!

Joyce – That’s funny about what Indiana considers a ‘snow day’. My niece lived out in Colorado (near Denver) and she thought the first time it ‘snowed’ (a few inches) that the kids would be ‘out of school’; her neighbor (who took the kids to school) told her not so. When it snowed 5 inches, still no ‘snow day’. Come about 10”, no ‘snow day’. One morning the neighbor called and it was like a ‘blizzard’ conditions and she said, “Now THIS is a ‘snow day’. Niece would NOT drive in the snow, at all. She’d be more likely to ‘walk the kids to school’; but, once it snowed, her car stayed in the garage and she stayed in the house. First time they went skiing, she broke her leg and ended up watching her family from the lodge, reading a book in front of a 'roaring' fire. Her DH would call her whenever they were about to 'ski down the hill’.

ljakubowsky – God ALWAYS loves us … we are HIS children. I joined the church at the age of 8-years-old (because friends were doing so and my mother pushed me) and had no idea what I was doing. I did not become a Christian until 2 days before my 60th birthday. Nobody can ‘preach’ you into salvation … that is something one comes to on their own timing. GOD is ALWAYS there, for you and others and it does not matter what name you call your God either. Just don’t ever ‘damn’ Him … you will only be doing that to yourself. Don’t ever ‘damn’ anyone … because you will be doing it to yourself. When you have bad thoughts about someone, write something positive about them in a journal … even ‘if’ it is the exact same thing every time.

I have printed the NY Times recipe for Picadillo and will try cooking it … it sounds wonderful!

Lenora
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Lisa in West Tx

Canookie Thank you for the welcome and your concern. I do have a very supportive loving family of which I am truly grateful. I am also a doxie lover. The pics are:

Ludwig made to within a month of his 17th birthday. Rosie and Holly made it to 13. Buddha and Bridie are still with us. Buddha is 13 in February and Bridie is 10. Buddha, Holly and Bridie are rescued dogs from breeders. They have had good lives but came to us for better care for their twilight years. We have a great organisation called Dachshund Rescue here that helped with placing them with us.

Beautiful babies - thanks for sharing! Even with some of their inherent issues (skeletal and spine problems, bad teeth, the barking, difficult to house train) they have such unique personalities. Sorry for those who are passed, and so happy you made room in your heart for more.

I'm a foster failure. Our eldest Eddy-Spaghetti is from the Canadian Dachshund Rescue, I volunteered with. I wound up adopting him and his bonded brother Snowy (who passed from a heart attack 2 yrs later). This is his FB greeting for other old weenies.

uwynhwjrv0j1.jpg

My three young ones are just 2+ yrs old.
    My red short haired girl Ruby May is from the Alaska Animal Rescue & Friends. Her mum was dumped at the rescue after her human passed away and the family wanted nothing to do with her pups. She was born the week my mum passed away and it just seemed like fate was bringing us together.

aiwphad72wgp.jpg

TyTy was picked up from a reputable breeder in Washington (and flown to Alaska), as a playmate for Ruby. Mali Summer was the runt from a litter by a local home breeder & foster/rescue home.

Thanks for sharing your sweet fur-kids!

Marni in Alaska